Will you stick around to GSF when Battlefront comes out?

PavSalco

I would like to address this question mainly to people who play SWTOR solely because of GSF. So far this is the only space sim set in SW out there, but the premiere of Battlefront is coming closer and closer. There is no doubt that the focus on space battles will be much higher in that game than in SWTOR and the amount of people participating in fights will easily outnumber the GSF community. So is GSF doomed to die?

I actually suspect that the reason BioWare has suspended GSF development is because EA told them, "Battlefront is our Star Wars twitch/vehicle combat game. SWTOR is our Star Wars roleplaying game."

I'll be checking it out for sure, and if it's really good I'll probably try to extend Eclipse Squadron to engage it along with GSF, for those who are interested.

But I suspect all Battlefront combat is going to be pretty simple. I don't think there will be strong class distinctions between ships, which means that most space combat will be very basic maneuvering, missile lock, and point-and-shoot--like flying a jet in Battlefield. I'm pretty sure there will be no power management or special abilities. And without those, there isn't a ton of room for depth.

That being said, I might be totally wrong. Maybe each ship will not only have different stats, but there might be a CoD or Titanfall-like progression system that covers both characters AND ships, where you can unlock and select perks or even special abilities.

The thing is, whether on PC, Xbox LIVE or PSN, Battlefront will be SO big that you'll pretty much never play against the same person twice in a matchmade game. Thus there will be no community outside of guilds, no rivalries, no meta pilot-driven narrative. That is one of the benefits of GSF community being smaller. You get to know your allies and adversaries--even if you never talk to each other in chat or Mumble, you learn the way they fly, and there's a dialog of damage :)

I also wonder about my ability to play Battlefront's ground game. While I'm really good at GSF and other 3-space combat games, I'm only mediocre at most FPS games. So it could end up where I do great as a pilot in Battlefront, but can't hang with the elites in the ground game. It'll be interesting if Battlefront allows you to focus in one or the other. If it does, then we GSF pilots might become prized for our rare talents.

We will know more soon I think. Rumor had it that more would be released about the game in "the spring".

Edited by Nemarus

I never took the fact that EA owns both franchises into account. They could very well tell Bioware to leave GSF alone and not compete with SW/BF3 for a while until the sales slump and the player base of SWTOR dips then all of a sudden GSF is back on the menu. Say what you want about EA, they do know how to make money.

I would like to address this question mainly to people who play SWTOR solely because of GSF. So far this is the only space sim set in SW out there, but the premiere of Battlefront is coming closer and closer. There is no doubt that the focus on space battles will be much higher in that game than in SWTOR and the amount of people participating in fights will easily outnumber the GSF community. So is GSF doomed to die?

I will most likely play both because even though I spend most of my time in gsf I like the idea of it being a character in an mmo. Though I reaaaally want to see some gsf updates.

I think (in general) the audiences are different. While there may be some crossover, I don't think it will mean the queues die completely. I know that for me, I enjoy the meta part of the game almost as much as the flying part. Discussing ship builds, playing with strange combos, etc. Most FPS games are based on the idea that everyone gets the same gear and it's about player skill. I prefer a game where my ship isn't necessarily like everyone else's.

I will probably play both. The nice thing about SWTOR is that it has more than GSF going for it, so there will be other things to do besides just GSF. I loved Battlefront and Battlefront 2, but the space combat there wasn't as fun as GSF so I suspect I will play Battlefront when I want to play as a stormtrooper, and I'll play SWTOR when I want to do anything else star wars related.

But we'll have to wait and see. With the news break that Rogue One is going to be the first stand alone film we could get a dedicated star fighter game which would be fun. As much fun as I had in 96 playing X-wing though, I think I want any future starfighter games to lean more on the arcade side and less sim. Having played elite dangerous a bit, the space combat there is interesting but very slow paced in comparison to GSF.

I will say this about Battlefront though; given how little information is available about the game at this moment, I am very skeptical and hesitant to be excited about it. I don't want to get super hyped up and then find out it's just going to be a graphically updated Battlefront 1 or 2 (fun, but they both had things that could be improved upon).

I don't think that Battlefront dev is hurting GSF. I don't think GSF development being on or off at any time is a corporate call, I think it's a company or project wide call. I doubt EA would come in with the "we're eating our own lunch" stuff, because they do that a lot. Plus, Battlefront isn't really a space sim either.

Anyway, we'll see. I think that like Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous are different types of games, Battlefront is really just a different type of game as well.

In my admittedly very cursory research into Battlefront 3, I did not find any reference to space combat. Vehicles such as speeders and walkers were mentioned, but no X-Wings. I never played Battlefront 1 or 2, so I don't know about space combat on those games. But it sounds like Battlefront 3 is aiming for a high technical level, as in Call of Duty, so a space combat component would be a significant investment. If they were going to include it, I would think they would have mentioned it. If anybody has more information indicating they are including space combat, I would like to see it.

In my admittedly very cursory research into Battlefront 3, I did not find any reference to space combat. Vehicles such as speeders and walkers were mentioned, but no X-Wings. I never played Battlefront 1 or 2, so I don't know about space combat on those games. But it sounds like Battlefront 3 is aiming for a high technical level, as in Call of Duty, so a space combat component would be a significant investment. If they were going to include it, I would think they would have mentioned it. If anybody has more information indicating they are including space combat, I would like to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rJ_JLb2cHE

BF2 had lots of space combat.

BF3, when being made by a previous developer, had full ground-to-atmosphere-to-space transitions (https://youtu.be/3Myb8v_8qBo?t=2m6s). That project was cancelled though, and then DICE took over.

Edited by Nemarus

Battlefront can also fix the pvp system of Swtor.

How?

Well, take a look to the Housing. It works fine, because they used Sims.

Just maybe, the devs got new idears how create pvp in swtor. No longer small scale. Big battles, in the sky and ground wars. Big maps, also walker piloting usw. Befor that. they have to change the Engine to x64, dx11/12 ore do what ea sayed. All games will change to Frostbyte. OFC thats dreaming. But a swtor running with the frostbyte engine. Oh my good. i will loose my job instantly:D

Having played both BFI & II I'm waiting to see how BF III turns out. I enjoyed the first two games don't get me wrong, but they had a host of bugs and always felt like they were more than a full step behind the innovations being done with Battlefield. I'm personally hoping that BF III will be at least where Battlefield 2142 was in terms of innovation (customizable weapon/equipment loadouts) although I'm hoping we'll see something more along the lines of Battlefield 3 in terms of kit customization.

Honestly though I've largely left GSF already. It just got boring for me knowing that in a competitive match I was going to be flying either a T1 or T2 scout (I don't generally enjoy GS gameplay and haven't had an interest in bombers since I liked GSF for the dogfighting). I just felt the meta was boring and static due to domination by battlescouts and T1 GS with the rest being circumstantially competitive or not competitive at all.

The lack of map variety isn't great either but it's just boring for me having effectively minimal variety in enemy ship types when the number of ships we already have would create a meta that was very dynamic in enemy ship variety save for balance issues. Overall at this point the only thing I see drawing me back into GSF is a long overdue balance pass that alters the meta so the top tier competitive level includes more that just battlescouts/T1 GS. New maps or ships without a major balance overhaul won't bring me back long term.

Edited by Gavin_Kelvar

I never took the fact that EA owns both franchises into account. They could very well tell Bioware to leave GSF alone and not compete with SW/BF3 for a while until the sales slump and the player base of SWTOR dips then all of a sudden GSF is back on the menu. Say what you want about EA, they do know how to make money.

EA will be losing the contract soon. So here is hoping a lot of things that are neglected atm will get fleshed out soon.

Losing contract? 10 years already passed? Wow. That was quick.

Lol, someone pointed me in the right direction in another thread, I misunderstood what happened.

Someone said they discontinued GSF, is there an official statement on that? I am pretty sure they still have plans for it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.