Clicker or Keybinder?(Strawpoll)

Falor

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mouse binds... With some clicks. The last game I felt comfortable being a "clicker" in was EQ2. For me, if you want to do script heavy raids/ops, there is just too much going on to be able to move adequately and engage all abilities if you click everything. By "some clicking" I mean that I have my "common" abilities bound (main heals, attacks etc). Uncommonly used One shot emergencies like my personal defensive cooldowns, brez, etc. are clicked.

I just couldn't imagine having to heal multiple people, staying in melee range for the occassional dps contribution, while having to move out of stupid by clicking. To do all that I have to be looking at the OPs/group frames and my character to see where he is in relation to the mob and the stupid. Maybe its because I run a multi-monitor setup with 24" + monitors. The distance between my hotbars and "the action" is just to much for me to be able to pay attention to both. When I was playing EQ2 it was, for the most part, on a 15" monitor.

Right now (in Operative Medicine build) I have the usual WASD for movement and 3 main hot bars. Hot bar 1 is 1 thru = for main attacks and heals. #2 is [shift]1 thru = for the stealth stuff, break frees, CC, evade, and supplementary heals. #3 is the "click bar" with the companion/solo stuff, B-rez my personal defensive cool downs, heal pots etc. I couldn't imagine doing all of that without the mouse binds (12 buttons bound)

I also have a 4th click bar with fast travel and mounts and a "click box" with my buffs, duration stims etc.

Thank god for that big monitor lol.

Edited by Ghisallo

Wow.. it's amazing to me how many people are clickers... I can't stand it.. If i'm clicking things I have to move my mouse around quickly and accurately to click before the GCD is up, but while doing that I also need to be able to pan my camera and occasionally click target as a DPS.. As a healer I don't even think it's possible to be good AND a clicker.. you need to be able to click the raid member, then click your ability?? And how in the world could someone pull off 45-50 APM being a clicker in a real raid setting (dodging out of stupid while clicking that fast..)

As someone else already mentioned the keyword is global cooldown. I don't know what you think a clicker who is serious about gaming is doing. Click........... think where to move the mouse next.......search for the ability..... move the mouse....... click.......? Whole minutes between every action?

I don't think so :rolleyes: don't compare an untrained clicker with a trained keybinder, if both have a lot of practise with their setup, a small difference may still be there, but it is not as big as most people think. At least in PVE, PVP is a different story. There are classes which are easier to play for a clicker and those that are a bit more difficult. As far as i know the players around me players with melee classes tend to keybind a bit more, but most players are hybrid, using some keybinds and clicking the rest. I don't know anyone who clicks everything.

Just like a keybinder thinks about his key layout, a clicker thinks a lot about how to arrange his UI, where to put which ability, where to place the group members, so that he is able to be fast and precise with his clicks. Short distances + practise and a clicker as almost as fast as a keybinder and the difference left dissapears within the global CD. There is something like muscle memory too, the trained clicker doesn't have to look for his abilities, he knows exactly where to move his mouse, how far from here to there to hit the right button. He looks on the screen but doesn't need to look out for his abilities or his cursor.

Concerning a clicking healer, don't forget that you don't have to wait until the cast is off to change your target, while the heal goes through you just target the next toon and can have the mouse waiting over the next healing abilty to fire it as soon as the previous one is done. Even between instants there is the global CD and 1 to 1.5 seconds is a lot of time if you are used to clicking and your UI.

I usually play hybrid with a tendency to more clicking depending on the class. Taunt, interrupt and some other important abilities are always bound, but most other things are clicked, especially when healing. Though i would really love the focus target modifier to work properly...

I tried to convert to full keybinding in my prevoius MMO, but i just seem unable to learn the different way of moving my char. I could hit keys instead of clicking on the screen but i couldn't move at the same time. Something i easily can with WASD(+QE) while clicking something else, i just don't get it in my head, today i can't get rid of ten years of fast clicking. So i stick to what i'm used to and what i know i can. So far there was no one, who could tell if i am a binder or clicker by just watching my toon during an operation.

In the end it is important that the guy next to me plays his role properly, if he does i couldn't care less how he manages that, keybinds, mouse, joystick or wheel... his choice.

Edited by Khaleijo

Keybinder all the way. I have been a clicker for a long time until around patch 1.7 when a guildmate convinced me to try keybinding. I was hestitant at first, thinking I could be just as fast with clicking, and it took me many months to get used to the keys and get my HPS to the old clicker levels, but since then I've surpassed my old HPS values by a long shot.

In fact, while I started out with just keybinding my five healing abilities, I've since keybound every other ability as well.

Getting killed in PvP because it took to long to click the stun breaker or medpack? Easily solved, just keybind it.

Getting killed before throwing the Huttball because I could not click it fast enough? Now even the huttball is keybound even though I only play very little PvP compared to PvE.

Wiping because it took too long to click the battle rez for the tank? Now it is keybound and battle rez is up instantaneously (once the GCD is over).

I only click my class buff and the speeder but I can live with that. I still catch myself clicking some abilities when watching my livestream recording and I believe this happens when I press the push-to-talk button. Also, whenever I play casually I like to use the mouse only and rest my other hand, but for any HM/NiM content I only press keys.

Also, on my alts I only keybound the most used rotational abilities, it just isn't worth the time for me when I only play my alts very little and not in HM/NiM content.

Currently, I'm trying to convince two DPS in my raid group to switch to keybinding as well. Even though it will take a few weeks/months for them to get used to it, I'm confident they'll be able to increase their DPS that way.

They can easily reach 4k DPS on the dummy but once they get in a boss fight with a lot of voids to move out of and target switches, they drop down to 2.5k DPS which IMO is a clear sign that clicking is inferior to keybinding. If you just have your five key abilities, you can just move the mouse between them, but once you start having to use knockbacks, stuns, raid buffs or simply procs like Mental Alacrity that are off the GCD and need to be activated between two GCD abilities, clickers fail to keep up with keybinders.

I've seen a few clickers in progression guilds; It's certainly true that you can master the clicking and get up to 4k DPS but you'll still be 10% or 20% below 100% effectiveness.

Edited by Jerba

I would love to be able to keybind everything because I prefer to move/turn with my mouse, but honestly I have real trouble a) remembering where/what they are, and b) getting my hands comfortable with moving to them in a hurry. Not to mention across different characters and classes, that would mess me up big time. Because of those things, it's honestly faster to click some ablities. I have the important ones easy to reach, though.

10-keypad, with alt, Ctrl as modifiers for hotbars 1,2,4. Hotbar 5 is 1-10 with Heroic, my Op's heals that I am busy trying to make my Merc' and other Healer's bars match as well as the stunbreaker. Hotbar 6 is... Uh... *checks to try and find on character that uses it* uh... I think I have 6 disabled.

For AoE things I have my settings so that it'll target the area of my target. My merc uses it to patch Torian up while he's DPSing and then throws a DFA on his enemies near him.

Hotbar 3 is all click with QT, Fleet pass, vehicle, rocket boost, class buff, stance/cells/stealth and guard. Stuff that doesn't need a keybind.

I really wish there was a key I could hit for gathering, like in DCUO I could hit Ctrl for area looting from dead enemies of mine. And an interact key so I don't have to bother with moving the dog off my mouse while I watch TV on the couch.

So I wind up spending a few minutes on every new character redoing the ability bars and keybinding.

Select companion is keypad +, select next group member is Ctrl keypad +, and I just cycle through to the right group member.

I use a razer naga for my keybinds and drive/turn with my keyboard. It's how I like to play so I don't care what anyone really thinks. If I'm playing with my friends which I know are clickers I would just rather have them play that way. It is what they are used to so it works better than them playing in a way that they are uncomfortable with.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.