A Question

casirabit

I have a question that I would like the community to consider.

I have been here since 2008 and been playing constantly (no breaks) and yet lately I have read the complaints in the forums and want to ask one question.

People are complaining that the end game stuff doesn't give you enough comms but

Why is that so important?

Consider this:

You get all the gear you want and it is the top level then what will you do next? Most of you will be complaining there is nothing to do.

You make the game so gear focused that maybe you have forgotten the reason for the game is to have fun.

Yes gear is important (I do hard mode operations and operations) but is is so important that we have forgotten what it is just to have fun and relax a bit.

Some of you race through the content (I was guilty of that) quickly and then come back to the forums complaining there is not enough to do. I am sorry but the way some of us race through the content there is no way on God's green earth that the devs can ever make enough content to satisfy that.

And yes I know some people will jump down my throat for this post but that is okay. It's your opinion as this is mine opinion as well. I don't have to agree with your opinion and you don't have to agree with mine.

I just think that if gear was accomplished faster than you would all find something else to complain about. It seems like a circle for some of you. Not enough comms, get the comms and get the gear and then you start saying don't have anything to do as I have all my gear.

Comms buy "stuff". People play MMOs to collect and acquire "stuff". "Stuff", or currency to buy "stuff", encourages players to participate in activities that can get them the "stuff" they want. Comms serve as motivation to do things...without the motivation, players do other activities that better reward them with "stuff" they don't have or can use more of. The problem we have right now is that all the "stuff" players can get from older Ops/FPs is all "stuff" they've already gotten. Bioware needs to update the "stuff" to make it desirable again.

I wish more players were like you...but most aren't. Most want the freshest carrot as the reward to do an activity.

I agree with you OP. And to add, why are people obsessed with comms and com gear? Too many comm gear hero's at the end of last cycle (looking at you merc with more health than my PT tank) If you're using comms to gear up and you are not a tank getting B mods and implants then you are doing it wrong. Otherwise, Comms are worthless besides gearing comps if you want your comps to have a unique look. Give me more vanity items instead for funsies to collect :p I would take a new pet every week for completing ravagers than 10 ultimate comms (Best reward in my opinion was the mount for one time and I did trade the chest piece for the rare mount from Coritanni XD). If not I'm content with the fun of completing stuff. Edited by FerkWork

Comms buy "stuff". People play MMOs to collect and acquire "stuff". "Stuff", or currency to buy "stuff", encourages players to participate in activities that can get them the "stuff" they want. Comms serve as motivation to do things...without the motivation, players do other activities that better reward them with "stuff" they don't have or can use more of. The problem we have right now is that all the "stuff" players can get from older Ops/FPs is all "stuff" they've already gotten. Bioware needs to update the "stuff" to make it desirable again.

I wish more players were like you...but most aren't. Most want the freshest carrot as the reward to do an activity.

^^ This. we're all like little MMO hamsters tryin' to get that food pellet. Do a task...get a pellet. Do a task...get a pellet. People like rewards based systems, even if those rewards tend to make people lazy, or are just plain given away too easily.

I think though that the recent gripes about comm rewards was more so due to the fact that the comms system is just kind of being mismanaged right now by Bioware.

I'm sort of a hybrid between not caring all that much about rewards, and caring...if I feel I invested my time in content, and there's no decent reward at the end of it (even if it's NOT gear), then why bother? Just to do it? Some of the content...yea, I'll do it just to do it. Some of it though...no....I want something for my efforts. I imagine a lot of folks are just way more extreme about wanting rewards for all in game activities.

Some of you race through the content (I was guilty of that) quickly and then come back to the forums complaining there is not enough to do. I am sorry but the way some of us race through the content there is no way on God's green earth that the devs can ever make enough content to satisfy that.

This ^^^^^

It's not BW's job to keep you perpetually entertained 24x7. If you are that obsessed with the game, it's a personal problem. I fully expect there to come a day when I decide I've done all I want to do here, and then I'll leave. That day will come for everyone here. But for you guys who go 0-60 in a day, I'm sorry, but there's something wrong with you. You are neglecting something else in favor of this fantasy world. SWTOR cannot truly fill that gap in your soul.

I have to agree with the OP. I enjoy the game, not chasing those carrots.

I have a great guild and we have a lot of fun making up little events like revisiting old planets to play hide and seek, and running old operations for some mats and vehicles. Though some of the gang still look for a challenge, so we are working progression groups, not just for comms, but also for the acomplishments and acheivements.

i think the "gear chase" was the big deal with everyone getting bent about the Ravagers exploit. I think there are some who think they are better players if they have the best gear.

Having 16 alts at present, I am definatly taking my time with the comm grind. Besides it will all change in a year or so, and what is top of the line now will become vendor trash. Hell,I had most of my companions geared in 168 and 180,and now I get a free set of 192 every week!

The trouble is the "stuff" you collect to get other "stuff", while doing "stuff" isn't really motivational. There isn't a decent amount of "stuff" from doing "stuff", and the "stuff" you get is poorly optimised MK-1 "stuff". So you end up in a situation where some players don't do "stuff" because they couldn't give a "stuff", about the "stuff" that is available.

:p