The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New 2015 Review by someone who actually plays the game!

FerreusSteelTip

you ask for feedback then say "tough this is the way i'm doing it"?

that's interesting.

i grew up in a mining community. there's no language you could use that could bother me. having said that, there is a widely held belief, as demonstrated by feedback here, that you don't need profanity to be funny and mostly it devalues your message.

you'll have to choose between using the language you want, or actually entertaining people.

if you don't want feedback, dont ask for it.

Just because he asks for Feedback, doesn't mean he has to agree with it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@OP

Why are you sitting off to one side? I kept excepting someone else to join you in this review because the way you sat off to the side in the camera frame gave the appearance that you were leaving room for another person who wasn't there from the start.

There are a lot of distractions in the video. The wild gestures are the biggest offender in this regard. Hand gestures are an excellent tool in communication and should be used, but try keeping your hands in front of your torso more. Try limiting the use of large gestures like throwing your arms up in the air to once every few minutes at least.

There are also some distractions in the background as well. I read you plan to add a green screen at a later time. Until this is done, you could limit background distractions by simply making your bed and ensuring the room is tidy. There are also some camera tricks that could help by pushing the background out of focus a little without changing the focus on the person in the camera's frame.

I think its great that you are comfortable with who you are enough to put yourself on camera. However, I do believe you are limiting your views by not taking some more care with how you present yourself. I don't think you need to cut your hair or lose the beard to improve your appearance though. You don't need to dress like you would for a job interview or a hot date to look professional without compromising your identity. I feel like your defense of yourself in the face of some of the comments makes this video more about you than the product being reviewed. Try to keep that in mind and recognize that not all of the comments about your appearance were trolls and really were just trying to help you make a better video.

There have been some brutal (but relatively spot on) points made about your review posted on youtube. I shall share my opinions. The biggest mistake you have made was pointed out in the below quote (which was in a reply just a few posts up:

When you post something to be reviewed you must accept both the positive and negative. As the above poster stated, unless you accept all of your critiques that do offer some excellent points, then do not bother asking for reviews. That makes you come off as combative which might appeal to a minority but the majority will simply dig their heels in and continue to tear you apart. In the future acknowledge the points, be diplomatic, and take to heart what was said. Am I saying take "everything"? No but even some of the most cruel replies have some very key points to them. Let me pick just a few.

Swearing:

I can tell you are passionate about the game. Anyone who watched the video can see that. You wouldn't make it and plan to make more if you were not. However you need to keep in mind that demographic of this game. Not everyone is 18+. Lets keep the swearing to a minimum. If your video gets enough complaints youtube may slap a warning label on it due to excessive language. Am I saying it will be deleted? No but it may impact the total number of viewers you have. Less is more in this case. You do not need to use swear words to get your point across. Now before anyone says anything, I do swear but I do it rarely and usually when I'm mad about something I did stupidly or my husband did but I do not dish out the words like candy at halloween. In your future videos, swearing is ok to some extent but could you lessen it significantly?

Appearance:

A LOT of people have commented about your appearance and I don't think enough women have given you some pointers. I find men of all shapes and sizes to be attractive. Often times people continue to watch a youtube video with a face reveal if the person is attractive. I know some people will argue that's not true but I counter that point with the theory on "yoga" (for you adults you best know what I am alluding too). Humans know within seconds of seeing someone if they find them visually appealing. If we do, we will want to watch a bit longer than if we don't. As has been said, style your hair and please shave the neck beard. For my taste I like men with absolutely no facial hair / neck hair or a full bear that also covers their lower part of their face. Babyface this or go all mountain man. Simply having "neck hair" is incredibly distracting which is why you had several replies "pointing that out". Your dress attire. I honestly didn't think there was anything particularly wrong with what you wore. I do think that it looked as though it was not ironed. I also think your posture should improve. To me it looked like you were slouching. Straighten up. If its your camera's angle then run a few tests to get it spot on. A good posture, clean shave or FULL face beard, ironed clothing, and combed hair and you'll be all set for appearance.

Graphics:

Ill only point one thing out. When you showed a bird when referencing WOW in the earlier part of your video you had is on screen for a brief second. The length of time something should be posted should be a couple of seconds at least. Our eyes need to focus on the new image before that is "spun" out of frame and goes back to you.

Overall review:

I like reviewers who do not compare SWTOR to other games. They get straight to the point with what they like and do not like. They don't have to rely and compare the good things of SWTOR to the bad of WOW. Just focus on SWTOR. Overall I think you did a decent job. The key points though is your review should be more detailed on aspects of this game and this game alone. Do not compare it to other MMOs. Clean up your appearance a bit more along with your language. For the love of all things holy please focus on the language first.

That is all.

-A

Well, if you don't like the way someone looks then just don't say anything.
i'll judge for myself when i should or shouldn't say anything, but thanks for your concern.

You don't know him personally so why should you care about how he looks? Live and let live :)
i care because my eyes work? He's posting a video publicly and linking it in an effort to seek an audience and solicit feedback. this is my feedback. many others have shared the same concern for their senses.

you make it sound like im bursting into his home pointing fingers.

i'll judge for myself when i should or shouldn't say anything, but thanks for your concern.

Spot on. The guy asked for feedback and he got it. I would much rather someone give it to me straight then sugarcoat it to save my feels.

I wouldn't say any of us 'care', but OP made a thread and asked us for his opinion. Don't like the opinion? Don't read it? Live and let live.

To the person you quoted Pagy, quit being such a carebear.

Edited by DjSnazzyduds

Spot on. The guy asked for feedback and he got it. I would much rather someone give it to me straight then sugarcoat it to save my feels.

I wouldn't say any of us 'care', but OP made a thread and asked us for his opinion. Don't like the opinion? Don't read it? Live and let live.

Carebear? Really? Pagy flat out attacked the guy. There is a way to give constructive, sugar free feedback without attacking someone. I listen to Slayer and have wrecked by body since 1985 skateboarding and doing **** that would probably send you home crying , so don't call me a Carebear lol

Edited by ZETA_SCORPII

What bothered me the most was the swearing. His appearance didn't as much as the swearing.

Yes you can say that swearing is part of main stream nowadays but that still doesn't mean you have to do like this. I will and did shut the video off and refused to listen to the rest of it because of the swearing.

I know you all will tell me to get over it but I can also remind you that not everyone likes to hear swearing like this and so no I don't need to get over it. I just shut it off and not listen to the rest of the video.

I would suggest you cut down on the swearing if you truly want people to listen.

On that note have a good day.

All i can say is the video made me laugh well done and hope you do more but the swearing, certain messy things in the background of the video could be something to think about in the next review but the thing i like about it is you were just straight up and said it how I would..

My husband is a big guy with a beard. It has not hurt his Youtube following, in fact I think some of his followers have an unhealthy obsession with his beard :eek:

His recording studio is in our basement, so we've had some of the issues you have. Since your lighting and sound are decent, a green screen is probably going to be the best thing for you to get right now. You can make your own with the right colored sheet, but you can find inexpensive ones, so it's not really worth the effort to make one.

You might try doing a face cam instead of cutting back and forth from game play to your commentary. Face cams are popular and that might focus people more on the content of your video rather than on you.

And as has been mentioned many times already, some swearing is fine, lots of swearing will limit your audience.

yeah, I expected the comments lol. Am a big guy, I have hair. Not a model by any means, but thing is. I don't care. Know who I am, what I am. I don't need to run down people to make myself feel good. I already feel good.

Insecurity is best demonstrated by those who run down others. Can quote me on that.

I was wrong and I apologize.

Edited by dhadeus
wrong person

All i can say is the video made me laugh well done and hope you do more but the swearing, certain messy things in the background of the video could be something to think about in the next review but the thing i like about it is you were just straight up and said it how I would..

Yeah lol, I worked on that with this video.

Like I said before, I'll just be ME. People can like it or not. It's fine. But am glad that YOU got a laugh. You, and those like you, are who I'm making vids for.

Mercenary Spotlight - http://youtu.be/nkcYaul4ruM

I was wrong and I apologize.

hey man, we all have days. All have moments. I've been in a particularly bad mood before and went off on someone. I try to always make it right, but sometimes you just can't.

That said, you did. I appreciate the apology and accept it :)

Hope you like the new video better.

My husband is a big guy with a beard. It has not hurt his Youtube following, in fact I think some of his followers have an unhealthy obsession with his beard :eek:

His recording studio is in our basement, so we've had some of the issues you have. Since your lighting and sound are decent, a green screen is probably going to be the best thing for you to get right now. You can make your own with the right colored sheet, but you can find inexpensive ones, so it's not really worth the effort to make one.

You might try doing a face cam instead of cutting back and forth from game play to your commentary. Face cams are popular and that might focus people more on the content of your video rather than on you.

And as has been mentioned many times already, some swearing is fine, lots of swearing will limit your audience.

I adjusted my swearing in this video

Like I said, I was nervous lol. Am still finding my voice. On cam.

and yeah, I want to get a green screen soon. Then work on a better location for my recording.

I'm starting from scratch, with nothing. So it's a work in progress. That said, I am very appreciative of those who subscribed. Those who watched.

I will keep improving for you guys.

AND I will give your husband's channel a looksee :)

@OP

Why are you sitting off to one side? I kept excepting someone else to join you in this review because the way you sat off to the side in the camera frame gave the appearance that you were leaving room for another person who wasn't there from the start.

There are a lot of distractions in the video. The wild gestures are the biggest offender in this regard. Hand gestures are an excellent tool in communication and should be used, but try keeping your hands in front of your torso more. Try limiting the use of large gestures like throwing your arms up in the air to once every few minutes at least.

There are also some distractions in the background as well. I read you plan to add a green screen at a later time. Until this is done, you could limit background distractions by simply making your bed and ensuring the room is tidy. There are also some camera tricks that could help by pushing the background out of focus a little without changing the focus on the person in the camera's frame.

I think its great that you are comfortable with who you are enough to put yourself on camera. However, I do believe you are limiting your views by not taking some more care with how you present yourself. I don't think you need to cut your hair or lose the beard to improve your appearance though. You don't need to dress like you would for a job interview or a hot date to look professional without compromising your identity. I feel like your defense of yourself in the face of some of the comments makes this video more about you than the product being reviewed. Try to keep that in mind and recognize that not all of the comments about your appearance were trolls and really were just trying to help you make a better video.

I know, and I took it to heart. Am doing what I can. I fixed my hair different, not cut. And though I was cold, I lost the old jacket lol.

Far as why I sit to the side. I plan on putting content and such in that space. At least till I set up a face cam. And even then, I may still keep it like this. I dunno. I kind of like it.

I appreciate the feedback. It's positive, but hey. Let me know if I did better here.

There's also something called being a decent human being. The guy seems pretty cool and is comfortable with who he is and at least he's trying to do something he's passionate about.

Thank you. I appreciate the support.

and yeah. I mainly just want to have a 'voice'. To take my own soapbox and use it to try an entertain, as well as inform.

There have been some brutal (but relatively spot on) points made about your review posted on youtube. I shall share my opinions. The biggest mistake you have made was pointed out in the below quote (which was in a reply just a few posts up:

When you post something to be reviewed you must accept both the positive and negative. As the above poster stated, unless you accept all of your critiques that do offer some excellent points, then do not bother asking for reviews. That makes you come off as combative which might appeal to a minority but the majority will simply dig their heels in and continue to tear you apart. In the future acknowledge the points, be diplomatic, and take to heart what was said. Am I saying take "everything"? No but even some of the most cruel replies have some very key points to them. Let me pick just a few.

Swearing:

I can tell you are passionate about the game. Anyone who watched the video can see that. You wouldn't make it and plan to make more if you were not. However you need to keep in mind that demographic of this game. Not everyone is 18+. Lets keep the swearing to a minimum. If your video gets enough complaints youtube may slap a warning label on it due to excessive language. Am I saying it will be deleted? No but it may impact the total number of viewers you have. Less is more in this case. You do not need to use swear words to get your point across. Now before anyone says anything, I do swear but I do it rarely and usually when I'm mad about something I did stupidly or my husband did but I do not dish out the words like candy at halloween. In your future videos, swearing is ok to some extent but could you lessen it significantly?

Appearance:

A LOT of people have commented about your appearance and I don't think enough women have given you some pointers. I find men of all shapes and sizes to be attractive. Often times people continue to watch a youtube video with a face reveal if the person is attractive. I know some people will argue that's not true but I counter that point with the theory on "yoga" (for you adults you best know what I am alluding too). Humans know within seconds of seeing someone if they find them visually appealing. If we do, we will want to watch a bit longer than if we don't. As has been said, style your hair and please shave the neck beard. For my taste I like men with absolutely no facial hair / neck hair or a full bear that also covers their lower part of their face. Babyface this or go all mountain man. Simply having "neck hair" is incredibly distracting which is why you had several replies "pointing that out". Your dress attire. I honestly didn't think there was anything particularly wrong with what you wore. I do think that it looked as though it was not ironed. I also think your posture should improve. To me it looked like you were slouching. Straighten up. If its your camera's angle then run a few tests to get it spot on. A good posture, clean shave or FULL face beard, ironed clothing, and combed hair and you'll be all set for appearance.

Graphics:

Ill only point one thing out. When you showed a bird when referencing WOW in the earlier part of your video you had is on screen for a brief second. The length of time something should be posted should be a couple of seconds at least. Our eyes need to focus on the new image before that is "spun" out of frame and goes back to you.

Overall review:

I like reviewers who do not compare SWTOR to other games. They get straight to the point with what they like and do not like. They don't have to rely and compare the good things of SWTOR to the bad of WOW. Just focus on SWTOR. Overall I think you did a decent job. The key points though is your review should be more detailed on aspects of this game and this game alone. Do not compare it to other MMOs. Clean up your appearance a bit more along with your language. For the love of all things holy please focus on the language first.

That is all.

-A

Well this was very thorough. So let me try an respond lol.

First, I didn't say 'Tough, this is how I'm doing it"

If people read my replies to others, they'd see that. I simply said I like my beard. Be it neck or no, I like it. Personal preference. And while I will try an do what I can to make the channel more friendly, like ease up on the swearing and eventually get a green screen. All that. I will not change 'who' I am. Because that, to me, defeats the purpose of this.

Because it isn't a channel about this game. I just did a video, and will do more, about this game because it has been a big portion of my 'gaming' life. 3 years is substantial. No, the channel is ME being ME. To have a voice.

I've been without one much of my life.

I appreciate your positive feedback and all I can ask is to give me a chance. Keep watching. I may grow on you :)

To me a carebear is someone who say, harps on people for ganking. I'd say the guy you mentioned was just being 'decent'.

I am not complaining about the feedback. Most I expected. Some I took as constructive. And yeah. I don't get phased by people. I'm 'me'. Not everyone has to like 'me'

Carebear? Really? Pagy flat out attacked the guy. There is a way to give constructive, sugar free feedback without attacking someone. I listen to Slayer and have wrecked by body since 1985 skateboarding and doing **** that would probably send you home crying , so don't call me a Carebear lol

Please. I appreciate your support. I do, but I really don't want people fighting in the thread.

Those that say harsh things about me; they don't phase me. I take what I can from constructive criticism and I think I will make progress :)

Just ignore them.

and I hope you like the new video as much as the other.

bear in mind there are other ones on the channel. Of different games. Some will be changed. But for now, they're there if you want to see'em

What bothered me the most was the swearing. His appearance didn't as much as the swearing.

Yes you can say that swearing is part of main stream nowadays but that still doesn't mean you have to do like this. I will and did shut the video off and refused to listen to the rest of it because of the swearing.

I know you all will tell me to get over it but I can also remind you that not everyone likes to hear swearing like this and so no I don't need to get over it. I just shut it off and not listen to the rest of the video.

I would suggest you cut down on the swearing if you truly want people to listen.

On that note have a good day.

No hey, I won't tell you that lol. I realized I swore a lot after I posted it. Made a joke about it.

And in this video I toned it down a lot I think

that's interesting.

i grew up in a mining community. there's no language you could use that could bother me. having said that, there is a widely held belief, as demonstrated by feedback here, that you don't need profanity to be funny and mostly it devalues your message.

you'll have to choose between using the language you want, or actually entertaining people.

if you don't want feedback, dont ask for it.

I didn't mean it to come off as that. Not at all. I toned down the swearing.

You'll even notice a part where I go to say F^#k, and instead say something else lol. I laughed at that in editing.

I'll do what I can to make the channel better, but I won't change who I am. That's all I meant.