Texturing on new hairstyles fades hair color.

kmdanger

So the new hairstyles have all been pretty neat but there's a big problem with how they're displaying: all the colors are faded. It's especially jarring since you'd expect some of the newest hair textures to be available for very dark hair, and yet the darkest they can get is a muddy brown-green.

All the original "base set" hairstyles have the darker colors, and the first set of new hairstyles has the darker colors: long wavy hair and bun/long braid on female characters, long "Qui-gon" hair on male characters, swept-back short dreadlocks on both.

However, all newer hairstyles have the lighter colors: pompadour, pigtails, double braids, dreadlocks, shaggy, and Afro.

Here's what the difference looks like. This is the darkest hair color available for humans, number 10.

Darker hair:

http://i.gyazo.com/eacc42f15d8b984294b77101e301d26d.png

Lighter (greenish) variant:

http://i.gyazo.com/68b96a7aa8020259df12bb65bc7d0da2.png and http://i.gyazo.com/1c4f39828464a16bf5bc6d472510c696.png for examples.

It goes across all hair colors, too. Chiss blues get faded, the dark red turns to bright candy red. Additionally, the highlights and shadows of the hair are less pronounced, which makes me think there's a lighting map missing or something.

I had noticed this problem with earlier new hair additions, but had hoped they wouldn't repeat it in the future (which they just did, sigh).

Sure, some of the "faded" colors are pretty neat looking, but I miss the dark colors, dangit. It seems absurd that we can have neon pink or several shades of bright red, but not plain ol' black or very dark brown. >.<

Edited by Gwena

I mean, regardless of their hair color preferences, this really seems like one of the lighting-related texture maps is missing from each of the new models-- there's not much in the way of shadow, which makes everything look faded, and it's dull, no shine like you see in the older models either. Or they've got a material with the wrong specularity on, or something. Which makes me think this is either a bug or an oversight, not a conscious choice on BW's part.

• 4 weeks later...

This also applies to the new short hair for female characters and the new undercut style for males, in addition to still being a problem on all the other newer styles.

Please rectify this. I'm really enjoying some of the new styles but I'd like to be able to use them with the proper colors.

Please don't change this Bioware, we have only a tiny new handful of hairstyles that can now have white hair instead of ugly grey like all the old ones. If people want black there are a *ton* choices by comparison that they can use to be black. Please don't take away our tiny number of options for white!

Please don't change this Bioware, we have only a tiny new handful of hairstyles that can now have white hair instead of ugly grey like all the old ones. If people want black there are a *ton* choices by comparison that they can use to be black. Please don't take away our tiny number of options for white!

they should give us more color choices including black then.

A white option separate from the glitched hairstyles would be the best solution to that, far better than sacrificing all the other colors just to get white.

It would probably be nice to give characters with the new hairstyles a free color change in the event that this gets fixed, since people may have chosen their hair color around the non-fixed versions.

Well, this is a letdown. I bought one of the hairstyles and exactly this problem occured when I rolled a character. The hair should be black but it looks an odd shade of green and WORSE, it clashes horribly with beards, which are the proper black color.

Some dev response would be nice! Can you fix this? People pay good money for these things and to have the color so messed up as a result is severely disappointing.

The pink looks much better, and we finally have a white option, which is why I paid to unlock the last short hair, so I'll be pretty bummed if they change it and take away the only couple white hair options we have. Waste of coins I spent for two characters to change, one pink and one white. Just add black without changing things and let us keep the rest of the colors please, bright colors are a great option to have.

• 3 months later...
HOW is this still not fixed...for a game about story and character, this right here is crippling!!!!!!

Wel, imperial SoR intros are still broken after 6 months, and Vector Hylus is still wearing my agents bra after 3+ years so i dont think they care overmuch about bugs...

it looks like i will never hear the end of this issue from my asian gf. she wants black hair on the double long locks one....i can't blame her. she has long, black hair and wants to reflect that on her toon. bioware just simply add more colors. c++ or any object oriented programming language has a collection object of colors. Edited by DarkJediMage

• 3 months later...

With the current attention to graphical issues, could we maybe get this one investigated? I'm still pretty sure it's a missing map that's causing this, so it should be an easy fix if the maps exist...

(Here are some comparisons again, starring This Really Does Unfortunate Things To Chiss.)

http://i.imgur.com/KF64EOh.png

http://i.imgur.com/GnJBedc.png

• 2 weeks later...
it looks like i will never hear the end of this issue from my asian gf. she wants black hair on the double long locks one....i can't blame her. she has long, black hair and wants to reflect that on her toon. bioware just simply add more colors. c++ or any object oriented programming language has a collection object of colors.

she still complaining..on and on......sigh...bioware, please fix it............