Slotmachine

MadeinNL

What is the use of slotmachines after you maxed out reputation???

If you are lucky you get 1 scrap item out of 100 tries, and the rest is reputation trash.

So i wonder if there can come anything good out of the slotmachines besides these reputation or the rare scrap items?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are lucky you get 1 scrap item out of 100 tries, and the rest is reputation trash.

So i wonder if there can come anything good out of the slotmachines besides these reputation or the rare scrap items?

walker mount

The rep is the purpose - other than that you can chase the extremely, extremely rare Cartel Cert drops or the insanely, unfathomably rare walker mounts if you want to show off your poor understanding of probability.

Not supposed to be a whole new element to the game, it's just a toy that you use for a while if you want, let your friends use for a while if they want, and then get back to the rest of the game.

Edited by DarthDymond

Really?

I wanted to make jokes about this being a great topic for discussion, because it had been a whole week since the forum was plastered with whining about how people lost their money-printing machine after it was balanced just like everyone knew it was going to be. Instead, I'll try to answer using some examples.

What's the point of every med droid selling Rakghoul Vaccine when the Rakghoul event isn't running?

What's the point of getting a +4 crystal mailed to every new character I make when I've got +41 crystals in my collections?

What's the point of having quests offer Basic Commendations as optional rewards to characters that are at/above the Commendations cap?

Answer in all cases: Nothing. Some game mechanics are only worth while in certain situations. There's no guarantee that every item, every mechanic, every reward is going to have value to you.

The primary purpose of the Slot machines (now... at least) is to help you get reputation items. If your reputation is capped, then its purpose has been served. Now its just a pretty decoration.

Edited by Malastare

Malastare you are one of my favorites, if not my favorite, poster on this forum. I always find your posts highly informative and intelligent. But on the topic of the slot machine, not necessarily this particular post but your overall stance, you are wrong.

Yes the slot machine needed an adjustment. Most reasonable people would probably argue that it needed less of an adjustment than it got, but it definitely needed an adjustment. But they way they handled it was either dishonest, incompetent, or both, take your pick.

Malastare you are one of my favorites, if not my favorite, poster on this forum. I always find your posts highly informative and intelligent. But on the topic of the slot machine, not necessarily this particular post but your overall stance, you are wrong.

Yes the slot machine needed an adjustment. Most reasonable people would probably argue that it needed less of an adjustment than it got, but it definitely needed an adjustment. But they way they handled it was either dishonest, incompetent, or both, take your pick.

If the slot machines were originally released as they are today, nobody would bat an eye. The only reason people are complaining was something was taken away from them, ignoring that they were given it in the first place. The slot machine is good for contraband reputation, and that's it. No need to change it.

If the slot machines were originally released as they are today, nobody would bat an eye. The only reason people are complaining was something was taken away from them, ignoring that they were given it in the first place. The slot machine is good for contraband reputation, and that's it. No need to change it.

Well, respectfully..I think the real reason is not that we were given it but many feel after a bioware post stating all was working as was intended, which caused ..who knows how many to go and try to get these by spending real money ( in most cases..I just bought from gtn)...THATS the issue I feel most have. as this is was nerfed to the point that it was not tuned but completely changed in its function. MY opinion anyhow lol

If they had been released as they are today, I would not have bought a hypercrate to get one.

I still want my money back, Bioware can have the rest of the trash from the crate back, it is still sitting unused in storage.

Well, respectfully..I think the real reason is not that we were given it but many feel after a bioware post stating all was working as was intended, which caused ..who knows how many to go and try to get these by spending real money ( in most cases..I just bought from gtn)...THATS the issue I feel most have. as this is was nerfed to the point that it was not tuned but completely changed in its function. MY opinion anyhow lol

If they had been released as they are today, I would not have bought a hypercrate to get one.

I still want my money back, Bioware can have the rest of the trash from the crate back, it is still sitting unused in storage.

A cartel market item prints money and completely devalues gathering crew skills, did you really think that was going to stay in the game? From the start I knew that was going to get nerfed to the ground. The only reason to buy the packs was to sell the slot machines for 5 mil to the dense people who thought it would stick around.

If the slot machine was a standalone item then maybe you would have a point, but you bought a RNG pack for an item that dispenses RNG items that they never even announced the droprates or anything for. BW was fully in their right to change the slot machine.

Edited by Exastify

This 100%... I was a huuuuuuge purchaser of hypercrates prior to the slot machine crate and during the Bioware "working as intended" and then "making an adjustment to jawa junk." And then kaboom. They did a near 180 on the whole "working as intended" misleading. For this reason, I have taken my RL money out of the cartel system and am preferred. Screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me.

Edited by Kahldor

A cartel market item prints money and completely devalues gathering crew skills, did you really think that was going to stay in the game? From the start I knew that was going to get nerfed to the ground, and the only reason to buy the packs was to sell the slot machines for 5 mil to the dense people who thought it would stick around.

If the slot machine was a standalone item then maybe you would have a point, but you bought a RNG pack for an item that dispenses RNG items that they never even announced the droprates or anything for. BW was fully in their right to change the slot machine.

Before or after Eric said it was working as intended? He did say they would look at Jawa Junk and consider an adjustment. This wasn't an adjustment, it was a nuke, and it was to everything, not just Jawa Junk.

Your second comment is irrelevant, the intent of buying the hypercrate was to obtain the slot machine, so it actually doesn't matter that it wasn't standalone. Maybe in your opinion it does, but you also talk about Biowares "rights", which implies they have the legal right to do it. If you want to get legal, then my intent point is also a legal one and legally invalidates your argument.

At the end of the day, Bioware will never see another CC purchase from me over this and I'll leave when my prepaid sub time ends.

namwowS eht ytsorF

I think this is the biggest problem bar none.

People, including myself spent REAL WORLD MONEY on an item they then changed after it was purchased, again... with real world money.

If I had just bought it in the game I would have still been upset but not nearly as bad as wasting 50$ on a useless item.

Now here is the deal, would I have spent my real world money on an item that I knew they would make useless after buying it? **** NO!

People that bought the item got ripped off.. or even STOLEN from.

If I buy a car with a big V8 and a week later I go an start it to find they came and put in a small 4 cylinder with less than half the power without offering to give me anything back in return, I would be mad, and so would you. And that is what happened.

Make all the excuses they want about why they did it, fine but give us back our money or exchange it for something of equal value. At least return our Cartel coins we spent.

It's wrong.

I have 2 in my stronghold that are useless noise machines. Make them so they give out other rep, not just one stagnant kind for an expired cartel pack. Give us something back. This 1 in a 109287439812734912873 chance of a freaking walker mount is a slap in the Ba***.

Edited by NuSeC

Before or after Eric said it was working as intended? He did say they would look at Jawa Junk and consider an adjustment. This wasn't an adjustment, it was a nuke, and it was to everything, not just Jawa Junk.

Your second comment is irrelevant, the intent of buying the hypercrate was to obtain the slot machine, so it actually doesn't matter that it wasn't standalone. Maybe in your opinion it does, but you also talk about Biowares "rights", which implies they have the legal right to do it. If you want to get legal, then my intent point is also a legal one and legally invalidates your argument.

At the end of the day, Bioware will never see another CC purchase from me over this and I'll leave when my prepaid sub time ends.

Please quote where eric said the slot machine was "working as intended". Oh wait, he didn't say that. He stated the drop rates were not bugged. People just assumed that meant working as intended, when it wasn't. They clearly did not intend to devalue crew skills, which is why they changed the drop rates. People on the forums like you skimmed the post and thought "WORKING AS INTENDED! BUY ALL THE CRATES" when it just takes a little common sense that they wouldn't devalue crew skills.

Please quote where eric said the slot machine was "working as intended". Oh wait, he didn't say that. He stated the drop rates were not bugged. People just assumed that meant working as intended, when it wasn't. They clearly did not intend to devalue crew skills, which is why they changed the drop rates. People on the forums like you skimmed the post and thought "WORKING AS INTENDED! BUY ALL THE CRATES" when it just takes a little common sense that they wouldn't devalue crew skills.

He only said they were going to look at and maybe adjust the Jawa Junk drop rate, they never mentioned anything about nerfing all the drops into uselessness.

Even the patch notes failed to mention that they nerfed everything into oblivion, the patch notes also only mentioned the Jawa Junk.

That is the issue, not "ERMAWGAD ERIC PROMISED NO NURF" like you claim.

Have fun with your limited updates. Some financial supporters are not very happy with the handling of it and are abandoning the CM system. Some of us spent $100s a month. I have nearly 100 million credits in SWTOR now and the issue was/is not "printing mats." The issue is with customer service (or whatever BW pretends like it is). The defenders of BW seem to be the ones that only pay for a sub or minimal amounts in the CM.

Edited by Kahldor

Well we are all entitled to our opinions of course and I respect yours. In my case though I bought 2 from the GTN specifically as I am a huge crafter and I am far more ineterested in the green and blue scraps then the jawas as I do so much crafting IM always running out of ...something.

I bought them ONLY after seeing the post stating the drops were not bugged. I don't mind a tuning...no reasonable person at all can make an argument stating a drop rate that was 30 or 40 % ( ior whatever it was ) and turn it into a drop rate of less then 1 %, often less is a "reasonable" tuning or adjustment.

Had it been stated that we are going to adjust the drop rate to less then 1% I would never have bothered.

Thats the point ( again in my opinion)

He only said they were going to look at and maybe adjust the Jawa Junk drop rate, they never mentioned anything about nerfing all the drops into uselessness.

Even the patch notes failed to mention that they nerfed everything into oblivion, the patch notes also only mentioned the Jawa Junk.

That is the issue, not "ERMAWGAD ERIC PROMISED NO NURF" like you claim.

And so what? This situation is exactly why Eric and the community team doesn't want to post on the forums. Obviously at the time of writing, most people were crying about the purple jawa junk, since those were originally the most valuable and most impacted by the machine. They looked into the jawa junk, and realized that all the junk drop rates devalued crew skills too much, and the certs were far too cheap (25k worth of coins, versus ~200k value per cert before).

Now all the complainers looked at this and said "They nerfed things they didn't say they would!".

Now Bioware looks at this situation, and learns:

-Slot machines are a lose-lose situation

-Engaging with the community, and giving them updates puts false ideas into their minds ("WORKING AS INTENDED!" "THEY ONLY SAID JAWA JUNK, SO THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE!")

Arguments that you spent money for the good droprates on the slot machine are absurd. That's like if someone said "I paid money for SWTOR solely for orbital strike on an operative. Because they removed it, I deserve my money back."

Just because the only reason YOU bought packs was for the hypercrate doesn't mean YOU get a refund because they changed it. You bought a hypercrate for a chance to get things in packs, and you received that. If the slot machine was a standalone item, it would be understandable - you bought a slot machine directly, and then they changed the item you directly bought. But you bought a pack.

Edited by Exastify

So maxing out rep when the only way to do it before the slot machine is buying 100 packs that are no longer sold or if they are are 400-600k+ each on my server (before the slot machine).

Why does it have to be the do it all machine? Why can't it just have one purpose, maxing out rep? Isn't that enough for ONE single item? Do we need it to be a machine used for farming all mats and certificates as well?

And so what? This situation is exactly why Eric and the community team doesn't want to post on the forums. Obviously at the time of writing, most people were crying about the purple jawa junk, since those were originally the most valuable and most impacted by the machine. They looked into the jawa junk, and realized that all the junk drop rates devalued crew skills too much, and the certs were far too cheap (25k worth of coins, versus ~200k value per cert before).

Now all the complainers looked at this and said "They nerfed things they didn't say they would!".

Now Bioware looks at this situation, and learns:

-Slot machines are a lose-lose situation

-Engaging with the community, and giving them updates puts false ideas into their minds ("WORKING AS INTENDED!" "THEY ONLY SAID JAWA JUNK, SO THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE!")

Arguments that you spent money for the good droprates on the slot machine are absurd. That's if someone said "I paid money for SWTOR solely for orbital strike on an operative. Because they removed it, I deserve my money back."

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

I think you're flat wrong, you clearly disagree. We could post back and fourth, but neither of us is likely to change the other persons mind.

Of course, I am clearly not alone, many people have posted about this, others have left including long time posters.

So you can defend Bioware until you're blue in the face, it doesn't change that some of us are either changing our spending or leaving over this. And that hurts the game that you love, so maybe you should care a bit more that Bioware provided such sloppy service.

Just because the only reason YOU bought packs was for the hypercrate doesn't mean YOU get a refund because they changed it. You bought a hypercrate for a chance to get things in packs, and you received that. If the slot machine was a standalone item, it would be understandable - you bought a slot machine directly, and then they changed the item you directly bought. But you bought a pack.

I just want to address the point (again).

You're wrong. No, this is not a matter of opinion, you are factually wrong. Intent does matter, it does have a legal meaning, if this got dragged into court, you would lose with your above argument.

You of course can keep posting it, you're entitled to be wrong and ignore the facts, but you are incorrect with regards to the difference between buying an item and buying a RNG pack when intent is taken into account.

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

I think you're flat wrong, you clearly disagree. We could post back and fourth, but neither of us is likely to change the other persons mind.

Of course, I am clearly not alone, many people have posted about this, others have left including long time posters.

So you can defend Bioware until you're blue in the face, it doesn't change that some of us are either changing our spending or leaving over this. And that hurts the game that you love, so maybe you should care a bit more that Bioware provided such sloppy service.

Well I do agree this was entirely their fault in the first place. I just think a lot of the community got way out of hand from Erics single post that it wasn't bugged (since many people thought it was an exploit).