Force Grip pointless?

Mornyr

With the changes to Force Choke (1 GCD cast, can move while casting, target remains stunned even if cast is interrupted) Force Grip, which reads "Force Choke no longer needs to be channeled, applying its full effect over 3 seconds", effectively does absolutely nothing now. So while while every other discipline gets a perk with at least some usefulness at level 36, Jugg tanks get effectively nothing. Maybe change it to reduce the cooldown of Force Choke? Edited by Mornyr

They are buffing the skill for Immortal/Defense in 3.1(100% damage and threat increase).

I hope that's true, but I didn't see anything about that in the prelim patch notes, and we still don't have the official ones (hint hint!)

force choke is one of the crowd controlling skills that juggernauts get. It is more useful in pvp situations than in pve situation for sure. however it will get changed after 3.1 update with twice the damage and more threat generation. so even if you are tanking a fp or operation boss, it can be used to augment your threat generation now

force choke is one of the crowd controlling skills that juggernauts get. It is more useful in pvp situations than in pve situation for sure. however it will get changed after 3.1 update with twice the damage and more threat generation. so even if you are tanking a fp or operation boss, it can be used to augment your threat generation now

I'm not talking about the ability, I'm talking about the point in the tanking discipline that makes it cast without a channel (which is no longer relevant with the changes to Force Choke)

Uhh, from the patch notes that went up not too long ago it looks like they aren't buffing the skill? But then again they also didn't nerf Crushing Blow and on the PTS i'm fairly certain both of those changes are up. Guess we'll see if Tait missed some things post-patch or if they just decided to hold back on the changes for a bit for some reason.

Uhh, from the patch notes that went up not too long ago it looks like they aren't buffing the skill? But then again they also didn't nerf Crushing Blow and on the PTS i'm fairly certain both of those changes are up. Guess we'll see if Tait missed some things post-patch or if they just decided to hold back on the changes for a bit for some reason.

Isn't the PTS currently on 3.1.1?

I would rather have force pull than this crap. I already have have taunt, AOE and high threat with my attacks. Why would I need another 100% threat generation move when Force Pull could do that same thing while pulling the enemy to me.

I would rather have force pull than this crap. I already have have taunt, AOE and high threat with my attacks. Why would I need another 100% threat generation move when Force Pull could do that same thing while pulling the enemy to me.

Because you have two leaps, a speed buff with Rule of Two, another speed buff with Endure Pain and Through Power along with a push. Sin have a push, a pull and a speed buff. PT have a pull, a leap and a speed buff. Pretty balanced IMO.

EDIT : Sorry.. I didn't see it was you adproduction. Had I seen it, I wouldn't have bothered.

Edited by Ryuku-sama

They are not going to give us Force Pull and even if they did it would replace one of our four active discipline abilities not Force Grip.

They are not going to give us Force Pull and even if they did it would replace one of our four active discipline abilities not Force Grip.

I know they wouldn't do that ****. Bioware isn't that *********** dumb to fix the game. Afterall, they work for/under EA and if the game is in a mess, by EA standards that is consider working as intended.

Having played it now, can confirm the Crushing Blow (and Backhand) nerf went through, the ability that buffs them by 40% only buffs them by 30% now. Also the Choke buff went through as well.

So full list of changes -

+10% damage on Smash

+40% damage on Scream

-10% damage on Crushing Blow

-10% damage on Backhand

+100% damage and threat on Choke

+30% crit on Ravage

+10% crit on Sweeping Slash

-50% crit on Retaliation, +1 rage cost, but off the GCD

Overall I'd say these are definitely buffs, the extra damage on Scream is great for a couple of reasons, it improves our burst threat, and it also gives us 2 heavy hitters with 10 meter range now (as Scream hits as hard as Vicious Throw), which will help some in PvP where you can often find yourself out of melee range.

That said, this will be a slight nerf to damage outgoing when not actively tanking something, as you won't have enough Rage now to sustain your rotation, or you will but just barely, and can't really use many Slash/Vicious Slashes in your spare GCD's. When actively tanking, Rage will be just fine.

Well, since the core reason of this thread was never answered...

The reason for Force Grip is to allow tanks to use Force Choke > Ravage for a good chunk of damage in PvP or PvE. Think of it like a DoT for Immortal Juggernaut that builds Rage.

Well that was the answer pre 3.0 (and it wasn't necessarily for Choke into Ravage, just simply for Choke to be a hard stun), but now Choke already acts like this, which is why the OP was wondering what purpose the ability served now. So now the ability does something at least (adds damage and threat).