Ranked Season 4 and Update 3.1

honkymonkey

I would very much like to know the reasoning behind starting a new ranked season, after the massive overhaul of balance and skills that came with 3.0 , without any balancing done.

Ranked is, at least in my opinion, supposed to be fair, competitive and balanced. There will always be a fotm, there will always be a ”best” class. That I understand and can live with. But the balance for ranked is ludicrous at the moment, and that's to be expected after reworking the entire skill system. But starting a new season without addressing this, without doing some tuning and delivering needed buffs and nerfs, tells me BW themselves don't take ranked seriously at all.

Why would you start a season knowing, because they know, the mara/sent discussion is at least proof of that, that some classes are under performing and others over performing. Individual skill and team play should decide ranked games, not what class and spec you play.

So why don't you postpone the season until you have something resembling a balanced game. As it''s now, no one can or will take Season 4 seriously.

I would very much like to know the reasoning behind starting a new ranked season, after the massive overhaul of balance and skills that came with 3.0 , without any balancing done.

Ranked is, at least in my opinion, supposed to be fair, competitive and balanced. There will always be a fotm, there will always be a ”best” class. That I understand and can live with. But the balance for ranked is ludicrous at the moment, and that's to be expected after reworking the entire skill system. But starting a new season without addressing this, without doing some tuning and delivering needed buffs and nerfs, tells me BW themselves don't take ranked seriously at all.

Why would you start a season knowing, because they know, the mara/sent discussion is at least proof of that, that some classes are under performing and others over performing. Individual skill and team play should decide ranked games, not what class and spec you play.

So why don't you postpone the season until you have something resembling a balanced game. As it''s now, no one can or will take Season 4 seriously.

Yes. To many, only ranked pvp matters. But take a look around. Mids pvp is broken. An entire bracket totally broke.

60s ranked is a small reflection of 60s regs. The same issues are present in 60 regs, only they get masked. The number of players on each team convolute the pvp.

Wide open maps occur in regs letting the players find better ways to maximize the effectiveness of their classes even if the class is weaker. Also objectives are the focus in regs, so you can beat a team that has stronger classes if you play the objectives better.

Point is, the same imbalances in ranked are sitting there in 60s regs. Why don't they fix the gameplay in mids, 60s regs, and 60s ranked is the question that should be asked.

Yes i have to say i dont get this either, pending the final notes this cant be all the tuning being done.

Helping Mara a little, tweaking Sins and Juggs... nothing for Mercs? Snipers? Mercs might be in the worst place for ranked of any class in any game anytime i can recall... and nothing?

My theories, in order of likelihood:

1) Combination of the following: not enough time to do a good job with it, need to push out new "content" (new season) NOW, and pvp is a low priority because only a small percentage of the player base even care about it. Also, don't want to mess up the PVE balance, so it's really tricky and time consuming to do a good job with it, especially for a low priority thing (low resource allocation).

2) What imbalance? Everything seems fine...not sure what the players are griping about...

3) They are trolling us for the lulz...

1) Combination of the following: not enough time to do a good job with it, need to push out new "content" (new season) NOW, and pvp is a low priority because only a small percentage of the player base even care about it. Also, don't want to mess up the PVE balance, so it's really tricky and time consuming to do a good job with it, especially for a low priority thing (low resource allocation).

2) What imbalance? Everything seems fine...not sure what the players are griping about...

3) They are trolling us for the lulz...

All of this rings true in my ears. That's exactly covering all the bases I think.

If we wait for class balance we will never start a season in ranked.

it is true though, class balance currently is terrible. No worries, BW is on it so they took unload from PT.

Edited by Ottoattack

with the amount of QQ and regular discussion on this PVP forum since the START of 3.0, we've been playing this unbalanced and hogswash pvp. midbies are the most obviously broken things that EVERYBODY can agree on. Why can't the devs see the problem? Why wasn't it addressed way way sooner? It's one of the worst things in this game at the moment; completely discourages new pvp players from the start. Then you get to the other OBVIOUS balance issues. None of which are going to be resolved before season 4. Whoever is in charge of the pvp side of things needs to be slapped in the face and then fired for his utter incompetence and lack any real development skill.

What class balance? After 2 months they didnt even fix PT-VG Shoulder Cannon IGC or Merc-Mando healer set bonus item bugs, bugged ops bosses and many more. It is not just they dont give a ****about PVP or Ranked PvP it is just they dont give a **** anything that is not cartel market item, it is simple like this.

Yes i have to say i dont get this either, pending the final notes this cant be all the tuning being done.

Helping Mara a little, tweaking Sins and Juggs... nothing for Mercs? Snipers? Mercs might be in the worst place for ranked of any class in any game anytime i can recall... and nothing?

Yep nothing, this is why i refuse to give them another dollar. Im out and i wish more people would do the same. But if you enjoy playing assassin in hatred spec then enjoy!

Yeah, i wont be spending anymore money either... its a one way street issue now for many of us that dont like to run to the fotm, and still want to take part.

There are always classes that are somewhat OP or have an advantage of sorts, but the gap is so massive right now that its literally become a 2 horse town in terms of dps classes, and those at the bottom are so weak they arent even viable.

They aren't bad developers, they cant possibly not be aware of this, and yet, it is ignored. i dont get it.

Yeah, i wont be spending anymore money either... its a one way street issue now for many of us that dont like to run to the fotm, and still want to take part.

There are always classes that are somewhat OP or have an advantage of sorts, but the gap is so massive right now that its literally become a 2 horse town in terms of dps classes, and those at the bottom are so weak they arent even viable.

They aren't bad developers, they cant possibly not be aware of this, and yet, it is ignored. i dont get it.

Its a mystery, but it gets even better. When you see people who claim to be good at pvp and yet they argue that mercs do to much damage and thats the sole reason why we get insta focused in arenas.

Having played 4 chars to 60 and 11 to rank 55 almost only doing PvP i find this argument to be uncomfortably close to insanity.

I can pull 2700 dps on my hatred sin in arena, have access to the largest set of really good defensive cooldowns this game has ever seen and yet mercs who can barely break 2k (again, in pvp) at the best of times needs to be nerfed in order to get even 1 functional defensive cooldown.

Hell, even a sorcs aggro dropper with the utility choice to get +25% dmg mitigation has better uptime then our main defensive cooldown Energy Shield. If thats not stupid beyond compare then i dont know what is.

Edited by Nightkin

Or maybe only a small percentage of the player base care about PVP because there isn't enough PVP content?

Essentially it's Biowares fault.

I'll be cancelling my sub thats for sure. Everything in this game regarding PVP seems broken.

Midbies, the huge class imbalances, the WZ matchmaking.

Game just isnt fun for me anymore, doesnt hold my attention. My time & $$ is better spent at the gym.

Its a mystery, but it gets even better. When you see people who claim to be good at pvp and yet they argue that mercs do to much damage and thats the sole reason why we get insta focused in arenas.

Having played 4 chars to 60 and 11 to rank 55 almost only doing PvP i find this argument to be uncomfortably close to insanity.

I can pull 2700 dps on my hatred sin in arena, have access to the largest set of really good defensive cooldowns this game has ever seen and yet mercs who can barely break 2k (again, in pvp) at the best of times needs to be nerfed in order to get even 1 functional defensive cooldown.

Hell, even a sorcs aggro dropper with the utility choice to get +25% dmg mitigation has better uptime then our main defensive cooldown Energy Shield. If thats not stupid beyond compare then i dont know what is.

100% agreed, the whole "but your dps is so high" argument is a complete and total fabrication/rationalization. I would understand this if we were head and shoulders above the rest, but this is simply not true in pve or pvp.

If giving us defensive help made us too strong then fine, nerf me, the last thing i want is to be fotm, i just dont want to be fodder, or continue to watch people bail as soon as a merc joins the team.

I dont claim to be the best, but i do claim to be pretty good at it, most who play with me often say the same, so i do not think as others have implied that the L2P thing has any merit either.

The problem is the class makeup, and right now we have little to no business in ranked unless its as a healer and even then its dicey at best.

the season last a while. You don't have to start plaYing your class on day 1. They can buff your class halfway through the season and start playing with plenty of time to get ranking

True, they have already announced such plans for Maras... but if thats the only argument you can make, its a pretty bad one.

i mean ok, ill just wait half the season till they fix my class? Thats not really a solution as it means the queues will be sparse while people wait for fixes that may, or may not, ever come.

True, they have already announced such plans for Maras... but if thats the only argument you can make, its a pretty bad one.

i mean ok, ill just wait half the season till they fix my class? Thats not really a solution as it means the queues will be sparse while people wait for fixes that may, or may not, ever come.

I know, I will hear an earful about all this. I have PvP'd with Floplag, and admit he is good. I play a rage Jugger, and know I am not great, but I do like to think I am fair. However far to easy to kite, stun, and stealth away to break target. So for now I feel the balance sits with ranged class's, exception is Hatred Sins (OMG like we need to go there). I will continue to play my class and weather any storms that are in my path. However after experiencing PvP in WoW we are far better off than Blizzard is. My parting wisdom on this topic is to wait for any possible fix's will be like having a foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel! You might just die before you see it.

I know, I will hear an earful about all this. I have PvP'd with Floplag, and admit he is good. I play a rage Jugger, and know I am not great, but I do like to think I am fair. However far to easy to kite, stun, and stealth away to break target. So for now I feel the balance sits with ranged class's, exception is Hatred Sins (OMG like we need to go there). I will continue to play my class and weather any storms that are in my path. However after experiencing PvP in WoW we are far better off than Blizzard is. My parting wisdom on this topic is to wait for any possible fix's will be like having a foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel! You might just die before you see it.

First i thank you for the comment, i wish more people used their in game names here so i could return the favor...

I too will continue to play my class, but as we get ready for the start of the season i suspect less and less people will play with me regardless of whether or not i am any good at the class. Simply put, a Merc is a liability in ranked right now and my role can be better filled by other classes regardless of my skill level. Well that and the fact that i am in fact a class A a-hole but still...

Yes, ranged classes often have somewhat of an advantage as long as they can maintain that range, that is a given, but once in melee range that advantage tends to shift to the melee class. I am ok with this, its how it should be. Stealth is the great equalizer as it negates both ranged and melee advantages unless caught/exposed. When one or more of those stealth classes take on the role of FOTM OP godmode, it makes that scenario a nightmare for those who are at the most risk to that advantage, which is the state of things today.

I also played WoW, emphasis on "played" as i don't anymore as I'm not into farmville, pokemon, and twitter/selfie integration.