create a new 'Purchase Alert' to protect GTN buyers

anonnn

This new feature would be called a 'Purchase Alert' because the objective is to successfully ALERT the GTN buyer when they've clicked to buy an expensive item, rather than how it works now which is an 'OK' button in a popup window that has an identical appearance for all purchases cheap or expensive. The current Purchase Confirmation Dialog gets either switched off or blindly clicked by probably over 98% of GTN buyers, so in the real world it's entirely ineffective.

Note on the root cause of GTN accidents:

Most (if not all) GTN accidents are due to one of two failures in the purchase process:

• the 'Purchase Confirmation Dialog' was switched off entirely in Preferences
  • the Purchase Confirmation window was dismissed without the buyer genuinely verifying the purchase price

SO... the only real solution to stop GTN accidents from happening is to make it highly unlikely for either of these two purchase-process-failures to occur.

The 'Purchase Confirmation Dialog' was switched off entirely in Preferences

To maximize buyer convenience while still providing the necessary improved level of buyer protection, the Preference for 'Purchase Confirmation Dialog' will not be removed entirely. To achieve the improved buyer protection, switching off 'Purchase Confirmation Dialog' in Preferences will not suppress the confirmation popup for expensive items.

The Purchase Confirmation window was dismissed without the buyer genuinely verifying the purchase price

For items with a high purchase price, the 'OK' button in the Purchase Confirmation window will only activate after 5 seconds, or after 3 seconds if the Preference for 'Purchase Confirmation Dialog' is switched off. . Also, the price in the Purchase Confirmation window will be changed to a brighter color according to the magnitude of the price, so the buyer will find it difficult to "zone out" and not recognize when they're about to buy a particularly expensive item.

To successfully alert a GTN buyer that they're purchasing an expensive item, we can modify the old purchase confirmation window to color-code the price and also require purchase confirmation for expensive items:

• display the price in an attention-grabbing color at price triggers of:
    . . . . 75,000 . . 250,000 . . 2,000,000 . . 10,000,000
  • for items costing 250K+, ALWAYS show the Purchase Alert with a 5-second delay on enabling the "OK" button. The delay will be reduced to a 3-second delay if the Preferences checkbox for 'Purchase Confirmation Dialog' is switched OFF.

NOTE: . If the Preferences checkbox for "Purchase Confirmation Dialog" is switched OFF, purchases below 250K credits would not show any 'Purchase Alert' popup at all. . And with "Purchase Confirmation Dialog" switched ON, purchases below 250K credits would show the 'Purchase Alert' but WITHOUT the 5-second delay.

Side note on objections and feasibility:

I realize many people will say they (strongly) dislike mandatory popup windows. Well so do I. However, there's no way to stop the (major) GTN accidents without slightly inconveniencing buyers each time they purchase an expensive item.

One of the greatest things about this solution is that it won't require very much effort to implement, since it involves fairly trivial changes to the GTN's current "Purchase Confirmation Dialog" functionality.

Edited by anonnn

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having it as an option to turn on or off i would be ok with. But with a mandatory confirmation coming up over a certain price absolutely not.

I have the confirmation turned off and i do not fall for scams, this is because i double check the price, and the decimals to make sure it is not a rip off con post, and i do not want an annoying pop up window just because some people don't check what they are buying right.

Make it so the confirmation is only when the confirmation option is switched on in the persons settings and i will support it.

But i will not support a mandatory no choice confirmation window, i shouldn't have to deal with an unwanted 5 second unavoidable confirmation just because of people who cannot take 2 extra seconds to double check the price of what they are buying.

Edited by Rusah

This new feature would be called a 'Purchase Alert' because the objective is to successfully ALERT the GTN buyer when they've clicked to buy an expensive item, rather than merely provide an 'OK' button in a popup window that has an identical appearance for all purchases. The current Purchase Confirmation Window gets either switched off or blindly clicked by probably over 98% of GTN buyers, so in the real world it's entirely ineffective.

That is their problem. Yet another solution in search of a problem.

I'm not going to get into a sloppy back-and-forth with all of the cynicism and apathy and all that other muck. . What I will do is ask a rhetorical question:

Is it appropriate to inconvenience ALL players in a small way, to prevent a few players from being inconvenienced in a GARGANTUAN way?

...and provide a little perspective:

It's not a question of whether YOU are having problems on the GTN with making accidental purchases for huge numbers of credits. . It's a question of whether ANYONE is having these problems on the GTN.

What do you SAY to the person who lost millions of credits by buying an expensive item on the GTN without realizing it? . And in the history of SWToR, how MANY people do you think have suffered the setback of losing a shockingly large amount of credits on the GTN by making an accidental purchase?

:sy_lightside:BE CAREFUL OF YOUR ATTITUDE TOWARDS THE WELL-BEING OF OTHERS

Fortunately, there exists a system already in place to avoid making stupid purchases on the GTN.

It's a 2-part system involving your brain and your eyes.

It works very well if you use it.

And yes, inconveniencing all players to save a few players from themselves is a bad idea.

I don't see why this is necessary. In fact, the idea of people "accidentally" buying things at high prices never even occurred to me.

Now, if this was an alert to warn a seller that their price is way lower than either what is already up there or lower than their previous prices for that item, then I'd be into it. I can't remember how many times I missed a '0' when pricing an item and selling it for 1/10 of the price I intended.

The current Purchase Confirmation Window gets either switched off or blindly clicked by probably over 98% of GTN buyers, so in the real world it's entirely ineffective.

Well, it is still there. If it isn't used by those who blindly buy whatever tehy (don't) want, it's their fault.

display the price in an attention-grabbing color at the levels of 75K credits, 250K credits, and 2M credits

First question: why theese categories? Why not the (from my point of view) more reasonable brackets 25k, 75k, 100k+? Just because you are filthy rich ingame doesn't mean everyone has the same idea as to where "insanely overprized" starts.

for items costing 250K+, ALWAYS show the Purchase Alert with a 5-second delay on enabling the "OK" button

[/Quote]

Why? Why should I be bothered with a mandantory pop-up because someone else is to dumb to read?

I realize many people will probably say they (strongly) dislike mandatory popup windows. Well so do I. However, the mandatory popup for purchases over 250K credits is a small price to pay for the benefit this feature would provide.

What benefit doies it provide? None. Seriously, there is no benefit. The dumb buyers will still by overpriced stuff and will keep complaining, because after two weeks noone will read the pop-up anymore, will just be annoyed and wildly click to make it go away. And then all those byuers will again complain, because there is no working safety feature to safe them from buying stuff. So we need another one (like a 10 second timer right after the 5 second timer), and one month later a third safety feature because there will still be dozends of idiots who can outdumb even theese safeties. Esspecially when you come with such predetermined brackets as you suggets. There are people who think 250k are peanuts (cause they horde millions of credits), while there are others you yet have to get to gather 250k on their first toon.

As mandantory feature, it is 1000% a no-go. As a voluntary feature, you already have it: you can activate the pop-up, you can insert a "maximum price" etc. - you just have to use it. And those to dumb to use it, they don't need a failsafe system - they simply have to start thinking.

And don't forget: Humans stupidity is infinitive. No matter how foolproof you make something, the universe will allways produce better fools. So we will be stuck in an endless circle of adding additional safetyfeatures to adjust to next level of stupid users.

I'm not going to get into a sloppy back-and-forth with all of the cynicism and apathy and all that other muck. . What I will do is ask a rhetorical question:

Is it appropriate to inconvenience ALL players in a small way, to prevent a few players from being inconvenienced in a GARGANTUAN way?

...and provide a little perspective:

It's not a question of whether YOU are having problems on the GTN with making accidental purchases for huge numbers of credits. . It's a question of whether ANYONE is having these problems on the GTN.

What do you SAY to the person who lost millions of credits by buying an expensive item on the GTN without realizing it? . And in the history of SWToR, how MANY people do you think have suffered the setback of losing a shockingly large amount of credits on the GTN by making an accidental purchase?

:sy_lightside:BE CAREFUL OF YOUR ATTITUDE TOWARDS THE WELL-BEING OF OTHERS

I once sold a walker mount for 500k instead of 5 mil because I forgot a zero I'd say that counts as a loss on the gtn. What i say is suck it up learn from your mistake and don't blame other people for not paying attention.

Yes it is unfair because they are being inconvinianced by their own inattention. Before i buy something i check if it is a price listing scam trick, and i check the price per unit and total. If people do that they do not make the mistake of buying over priced items. If they do not then it is their own fault for not paying attention. Let me ask you, why should others be inconvinianced to appease those that do not pay attention, instead should those people not be more carefull in reading listings?

Also yes i know you said rhetorical question (not requiring an answer), but i decided it needed a response anyway.

It is not a problem, it is a lack of propper attention on the part of the buyer, the figures are there just read them.

I made this mistake once and only once. I accepted i had messed up, and learned from my mistake, from the ONE time i made this mistake i learned to check listings carefully which is why i can use the gtn without the confirmation and without any accidental purchases. So i say this, just as i did once you did not pay attention, yeah it sucks, it certainly did for me. Learn from your mistake be more carefull in the future and it will not happen. I do not say this as an insult, i say it from personal experiance.

Or alternitivly there is those boxes in the bottom left of the gtn window where you can specify min and max price, use those and you will never buy over priced items again because you can set it to the max you are willing to pay, and it will only show prices in the range you set.

You already have the following to resolve this

1. Eye's, use them to read the listing carefully.

2. A purchase confirmation, turn it on and read it before clicking ok.

3. The ability to set min and max prices which filters out the over priced, and only shows ones in the price range you are willing to pay.

4. Sort by lowest total price, make sure you have the filter sorted to lowest not highest.

5. Sort by lowest unit price, make sure you have the filter sorted to lowest not highest.

With all that you can filter out the over priced, sort to the lowest unit and total price, and have a confirmation box to be sure. All it takes is reading the information.

Edited by Rusah

For the love of God. I'm going to make this bold, and big, so it doesn't get missed.

THERE IS ALREADY A PURCHASE CONFIRMATION FOR THE GTN. THIS CONFIRMATION LISTS THE NAME OF THE ITEM, AND THE PRICE OF THE ITEM. IF YOU ARE NOT SEEING IT, THAT MEANS YOU TURNED IT OFF.

Also, a 5 second delay on the confirmation window is just stupid to say the least. I, and many others, regularly buy and sell several items at a time valued at over 250k, 99% of GTN users are perfectly capable of reading the prices before clicking buy, and checking the confirmation box. Are you seriously suggesting that the rest of us have to be inconvenienced with a mandatory 5 second pause just because 1% of the population are idiots, and can't be bothered to check the prices on the items they buy?

Edited by Andrellma

I decided to make it quite clear that something is already in place. So i turned the confirmation back on, did a search on an item i have to sell then clicked to buy it. I then proceed to make an image and upload it, see link below.

http://postimg.org/image/o4v1942ab/

If you take a look at this image it does the following.

1. Ask if you are sure you want to buy it.

2. Shows the total price you will pay.

3. Shows a graphic of the item complete with stack size.

4. Shows the item name.

So from this message i get, i can clearly se it is asking me if i want to buy 3x Cybernetic interface jack for 2000 credits. Now i choose wether to click yes to buy it, or no not to. Also note how i used the sort by unit price option which put the scam listings at the bottom, leaving the non scam cheapest per single item ones at the top.

There is your safety feature, use it and you have no issues.

Edited by Rusah

I decided to make it quite clear that something is already in place. So i turned the confirmation back on, did a search on an item i have to sell then clicked to buy it. I then proceed to make an image and upload it, see link below.

http://postimg.org/image/o4v1942ab/

No one's saying there isn't already something in place. The problem is that what's already in place isn't good enough... which is clearly evidenced from the fact that people have still made accidental purchases for HUGE sums of credits. I simply have clarity enough to realize how to fix the problem.

It's good that you posted a picture of it, because now there's something visual to illustrate the current problem:

• There's nothing to alert the buyer when the item they're about to buy is particularly expensive. This is needed to prevent the buyer from clicking "OK" before they've truly noted AND verified the price on very expensive purchases. This is particularly important when someone is purchasing a sequence of items in a row from the GTN. Color-coding the price in the Purchase Alert window is the solution.
  • The dialog can be dismissed as soon as it pops up. This allows habitual blind-dismissing of the window. I find myself doing this all the time, so I got into the habit of checking the price BEFORE I click the 'Buy' button. Which perfectly illustrates the uselessness of the current Purchase Confirmation and the need for a delay. If anyone is fiercely against a mandatory purchase-alert delay, feel free to suggest a smaller delay or different price-triggers. But a delay is most definitely needed when the item is particularly expensive.

I expect a higher level of quality than a lot of people, that's all. Since the purchase confirmation mechanism is clearly insufficient, it needs to be improved ASAP so more players don't have these GTN accidents.

The only deciding point is whether players are still making accidental GTN purchases for large amounts of credits. And no one is debating that this is still happening.

APATHY AND VICTIM ABUSE WILL NOT BE HUMORED.

No one's saying there isn't already something in place. The problem is that what's already in place isn't good enough... which is clearly evidenced from the fact that people have still made accidental purchases for HUGE sums of credits. I simply have clarity enough to realize how to fix the problem.

It's good that you posted a picture of it, because now there's something visual to illustrate the current problem:

• ]There's nothing to alert the buyer when the item they're about to buy is particularly expensive.[/b] This is needed to prevent the buyer from clicking "OK" before they've truly noted AND verified the price on very expensive purchases. This is particularly important when someone is purchasing a sequence of items in a row from the GTN. Color-coding the price in the Purchase Alert window is the solution.
  • The dialog can be dismissed as soon as it pops up. This allows habitual blind-dismissing of the window. I find myself doing this all the time, so I got into the habit of checking the price BEFORE I click the 'Buy' button. Which perfectly illustrates the uselessness of the current Purchase Confirmation and the need for a delay. If anyone is fiercely against a mandatory purchase-alert delay, feel free to suggest a smaller delay or different price-triggers. But a delay is most definitely needed when the item is particularly expensive.

I expect a higher level of quality than a lot of people, that's all. Since the purchase confirmation mechanism is clearly insufficient, it needs to be improved ASAP so more players don't have these GTN accidents.

The only deciding point is whether players are still making accidental GTN purchases for large amounts of credits. And no one is debating that this is still happening.

There absolutely is something that warns the buyer that what they're buying is expensive. The GTN listing clearly lists the items being sold, the price per item, and the total sale price. The warning clearly lists the item, and the total price of the sale. If you can't read that, or are unwilling to read that, then you should stay off the GTN.

Do not punish the rest of us with a ridiculous pop up that a) is mandatory, and b) is time gated just because a very small percentage of users are too lazy to use the tools that they are already given.

There absolutely is something that warns the buyer that what they're buying is expensive. The GTN listing clearly lists the items being sold, the price per item, and the total sale price. The warning clearly lists the item, and the total price of the sale. If you can't read that, or are unwilling to read that, then you should stay off the GTN.

There's nothing to distinguish a low price from a high price in the current Purchase Confirmation. And that's what is needed, so that when a player goes through the routine purchase process, there's something non-routine to get their attention if the item for which they're about to finalize a purchase happens to be a particularly expensive item. That's the entire purpose of a Purchase Confirmation, to prevent GTN accidents.

There's nothing to distinguish a low price from a high price in the current Purchase Confirmation. And that's what is needed, so that when a player goes through the routine purchase process, there's something non-routine to get their attention if the item for which they're about to finalize a purchase happens to be a particularly expensive item. That's the entire purpose of a Purchase Confirmation, to prevent GTN accidents.

Sure there is. The confirmation lists the total price of the sale. It is up to the players themselves to ddecide what constitutes a "high" or a "low" price. For example, 250k is nothing. Barely even pocket change to a lot of players. So should the be inconvenienced because some people are too lazy to read the confirmation, and check the price before clicking "buy?"

BioWare has already implemented several tools that allow you to search for exactly what you want. You can set upper and lower price limits when defining your search, you can sort alphabetically, by rarity, by price per unit, or total price. You can clearly see all of the pertinent details on the item listing itself. When you click buy, you get a pop up that again lists the item being sold and the total price. If you fail to use those tools, another pop up is not going to fix your stupidity and/or laziness. Making this new pop up you want so badly mandatory, and time gated will only be seen as an inconvenience to 99% of users.

I really wish there was a jawa with a don't be so stupid sign to beat people who make idiotic mistakes and blame others for there epic fail.

Actually I really like the idea of a Jawa holding a sign. It's some extra work, but if the development team is feeling inspired, they could modify the Purchase Confirmation window to be more like:

Themed alert window

. . . . 1-74,999 credits . (no extra window graphics)

. . . . 75K - 249,999 credits . ...a square sign with a black exclamation point

. . . . 250K - 1,999,999 credits . ...a jawa holding a sign with a black exclamation point on it

. . . . 2M+ credits . ...a jawa holding a sign with 3 red exclamation points on it !!!

Color-coded price

. . . . 1 - 74,999 credits . (plain black price)

. . . . 75K - 249,999 credits . (yellow price)

. . . . 250K - 1,999,999 credits . (orange price)

. . . . 2M+ credits . (red price)

Auto-adjusting 'OK' button delay

. . . . 1-74,999 credits . (never any delay)

. . . . 75K - 249,999 credits . (never any delay)

. . . . 250K - 1,999,999 credits . ...a 3-second delay

. . . . 2M+ credits . ...a 5-second delay

...note that the reduction in the delay for 250K-1,999,999 prices is only acceptable if there's a Jawa graphic suddenly showing up for that price range. . The Jawa graphic should be as large as seems practical to give the best noticeability. Remember that everyone loves Jawas, just like everyone loves Kittens and Ewoks.

There's nothing to alert the buyer when the item they're about to buy is particularly expensive. This is needed to prevent the buyer from clicking "OK" before they've truly noted AND verified the price on very expensive purchases. This is particularly important when someone is purchasing a sequence of items in a row from the GTN. Color-coding the price in the Purchase Alert window is the solution.

Yes there is something, it is called reading the info before clicking ok. If they do not take the time to vnote and varify it that is their own fault for not being sure.

The dialog can be dismissed as soon as it pops up. This allows habitual blind-dismissing of the window. I find myself doing this all the time, so I got into the habit of checking the price BEFORE I click the 'Buy' button. Which perfectly illustrates the uselessness of the current Purchase Confirmation and the need for a delay. If anyone is fiercely against a mandatory purchase-alert delay, feel free to suggest a smaller delay or different price-triggers. But a delay is most definitely needed when the item is particularly expensive.

That is players own fault for blind dismissing it, forcing people to put up with an unwanted popup becuase people click it off is unfair on others. It's the responsibility and choice of the player to check the confirmation. If they click it off before checking the window that is on them, a lack of propper attention is their own fault.

It is not the confirmation that is insufficant, it is players attention that is.

Weather players are still doing it is most certainly not the deciding point. The deciding point is if people are using the confirmation properly, if they are they do not make accidental purchases. If they are not then they are failing to utilize the system already in place to prevent this.

Apathy and victim abuse huh, not apathy just trying to explain how the current system will work if people just use it right. As for victim abuse, not wanting a mandatory box and wanting people to pay attention is not victim abuse. It is wanting people to use the feature, if you blind click the confirmation off then you are only a victim of your own impatience.

As for color coding for prices too high how is that decided then. For example resolve barrel 37 is 4mil on gtn on my server, they sell so people clearly consider it a reasonable price, but i consider it too high so i am waiting for it to drop since i will pay 2mil max. SO by my deffinition 4mil would have to be coded as high for that item, whereas for others it would not.

Now i will say again what i said in my opening post. If the confirmation delay is an OPTION that can be turned on or off i will support it. But i will not support being stuck withba mandatory window because of people who cannot read listings, use the search tools, and just blind click off their confirmation.

Edited by Rusah

If we were meant to put all the responsibility for preventing GTN accidents on the buyers, there wouldn't BE a purchase confirmation window in the first place. It's as simple as that, I don't need to explain anything more or offer further justification for this entry to the Suggestion Box.

The Purchase Confirmation is not doing its job... it needs a feature upgrade.

If we were meant to put all the responsibility for preventing GTN accidents on the buyers, there wouldn't BE a purchase confirmation window in the first place. It's as simple as that, I don't need to explain anything more or offer further justification for this entry to the Suggestion Box.

It is doing it's job. The overwhelming majority of people do not make these absurd purchases, they check the entry, and the confirmation.

You can't blame the feature for the laziness of the individual.

People who click without reading frankly deseve what happens. In order to log in you have to be able to read so there is no reason besides incompetence for not knowing what you buy. They could have a massive neon sign and sirens and idiots would still screw up and blame others. It's not the gtn that's broken its a small amount of the players intelligence the ones who can learn do so after the first time they make a mistake and the ones too dumb to pay attention...well you can't protect people from themselves and you can't fix stupid.

This allows habitual blind-dismissing of the window. I find myself doing this all the time

Relevant section bolded for emphasis. It seems to me that you want to inconvenience the entire player base because you're too quick to close a popup. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If anyone is fiercely against a mandatory purchase-alert delay, feel free to suggest a smaller delay or different price-triggers. But a delay is most definitely needed when the item is particularly expensive.

The vast majority of replies so far appear vehemently opposed to your suggestion in toto. A shorter delay or different price point won't make these folks dislike the idea any less.

There's nothing to distinguish a low price from a high price in the current Purchase Confirmation. And that's what is needed, so that when a player goes through the routine purchase process, there's something non-routine to get their attention if the item for which they're about to finalize a purchase happens to be a particularly expensive item.

Any notification will eventually become routine. Even with your system implemented, the text color won't change when all items in a GTN session are within a single one of your (highly arbitrary) pricing tiers, which is a common situation for a number of people. All you're doing is making it even more attractive to pay even less attention to the screen - for five seconds. Per transaction.

Since the purchase confirmation mechanism is clearly insufficient, it needs to be improved ASAP so more players don't have these GTN accidents.

That's the entire purpose of a Purchase Confirmation, to prevent GTN accidents.

If you find yourself having GTN accidents regularly, might I suggest a GTN diaper? :o Just don't demand that the rest of us wear one, too.

Putting yourself at a disadvantage with inappropriate purchases due to inattention or carelessness is now considered "victim abuse"? The hyperbole in this thread is frankly astounding.