No Content Till April?

Foambreaker

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just realized I started playing Neverwinter Nights around 1992/1993, so I've officially got over two decades of mmo experience. I need a new hobby. Desperately. lol

Damn I loved NWN, played from release then a couple of friends and I used to run our own server. Leaving your computer on while you went to work was a big thing back then, just so other people could play on the world you had built.

I truly wish an MMO could achieve what NWN had, but alas that is never to be.

Those were halcyon days, the only people playing were people who yearned for that kind of game on their computer, most of us had been playing pen and paper for years. When you died very often you lost XP, gear etc, was great, staying alive meant something, not to mention full PVP meant something.

The need to make money from a continuingly developed game means they have to attract generic gamers, who are just as happy playing FIFA15 on their Playstation, and as a result, MMOs are not what they could be.

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

This is what I got from the Cantina notes:

Feb 10th - Game Update 3.1, which includes the following things: hardmode flashpoint Blood Hunt, hardmode flashpoint Battle of Rishi, as well as the start of PvP Season 4.

April 28 - Game Update 3.2, Outfit Designer. A new story arc on the planet Ziost. End of PvP Season 4, and the start of Season 5.

Summer (June 21 - Sept 23)- Major update with new story-direction???

No date announced - New Stronghold

No date announced - New playable race, the Togruta.

End of Year - Major update new story-direction???

Which all sounds lovely...maybe they can manage to fix 3.0 before any of this occurs. lol

I was playing Trade Wars on dial up local BBS systems running on PC Board before then...

Do I get a cookie? ;)

No, you cannot have a cookie. Hurry up and finish your turn, I want to play. I hate 1200 baud, if it didn't take me longer to bike to Bob's house, I'd go there. He's got 2400 *and* cable, so I can do something while I'm waiting.

I consider it 'content' in the broad definition but I absolutely do not consider it enough content to carry an Update on its own. If we were also getting a new WZ or even this Costume Designer thing + Togrutal, that I could see counting as an Update's worth of content.

I guess there's precedent though, after RotHC came out in April 2013, we didn't get 'new' content until Update 2.3 in August of that year (we got the appearance designer, Cathar race and NiM Ops spread out over 2.1 and 2.2), so basically the same five month time-frame as the December - April span we're looking at here.

True - but Hickman and Ohlen were promoting 2015 as a year when SWTOR would be stepping up.

Perhaps that means more story content than in the past, then?

3.1 is certainly not really worthy of an update, unless there is something more included that is unannounced (not likely).

Unless you are very much into Operations, at the moment there is little to no reason to subscribe as a PVE player. I would think there is no reason to subscribe as a PVP player, but for some reason they still do.

It may not affect all of you, but I still have pretty noticeable performance issues as well. The ability delay is better, though still not entirely what it was before 3.0, but the server hitching on Shadowlands is still bad.

Edited by arunav

Is that what I am getting from the cantina notes?

And then it is only one planet?

Are we supposed to run Yavin dailies for 3 months?

I just downloaded GW2 - it's only $10 this weekend. It may be enjoyable, it may not (I typically don't like fantasy-themed RPGs, MMOs or otherwise, but it has nice graphics and I thought I'd try it out).

Either way, it's way better exploring an entirely new game than it is running around Yavin IV or rolling your 14th alt.

There is just little to no reason to continue to subscribe to SWTOR any longer, at least for me. I really like the game, and Star Wars, but I've had enough of EA not funding it properly, and that is after even waiting out last year.

Edited by arunav

I just downloaded GW2 - it's only $10 this weekend. It may be enjoyable, it may not (I typically don't like fantasy-themed RPGs, MMOs or otherwise, but it has nice graphics and I thought I'd try it out).

Either way, it's way better exploring an entirely new game than it is running around Yavin IV or rolling your 14th alt.

There is just little to no reason to continue to subscribe to SWTOR any longer, at least for me. I really like the game, and Star Wars, but I've had enough of EA not funding it properly, and that is after even waiting out last year.

I got that there's a new planet coming at the end of April. The part where that's -all- we're getting is just the troll logic kicking in.

I got that there's a new planet coming at the end of April. The part where that's -all- we're getting is just the troll logic kicking in.

If you think that will be anything more than an Oricon-style daily area, you need to get off the SWTOR-crack you are on.

It will continue the current story (which is a good thing - waiting between major expansions to do so is too long for a game like SWTOR), and you'll run all your alts through it, and then it might be the end of the summer before something else substantial (my guess being a PvP map) comes out.

So do tell me OP & all who are being negative Nancys on this thread, what new content came out last year that did not have you running the same BH, Oricon, CZ dailies every day?

Matter of fact aside from the Tactical's being introduced, what was new content* at all except for SoR in Dec? It's honestly quite amazing at how so many people are saying it's such a long wait now till April for new stuff, when they just released a LARGE expansion with new stuff, and they've now said that they have 2 more updates planned for this year. :rolleyes:

*Content being new playable stuff, e.g. ops, planets, etc... not strongholds.

Large, I have no heard anyone call Rishi and Yavin large?

Anyway this is over, people are dropping like flies.

I wonder if these people have ever played another MMO. If they think the release schedule is slow here, they should try WoW and their famous 1 years breaks from the last content of one expansion to the first content of the new expansion. And their 6 month major patch cycles.

a Warcraft expansion is a real expansion, its not some half-assed thrown together non tested pile of crap, that is also half recycled

ive played Warcraft, Everquest 1, Lotro, and Swtor over a 14 year time period and as much as i love things about this game, what they call expansions are really minor patches in comparison to all other mmo's ive ever played...i mean everquest 1 would release an entire finished expansion all at once, one a year, and it would be around 4x as much content as a Swtor expansion

With the movies coming i really hope they get there crap together, its mind boggling to me how you can fail so hard with the Star Wars name, this game should be bigger then WoW it makes no sense

a Warcraft expansion is a real expansion, its not some half-assed thrown together non tested pile of crap, that is also half recycled

ive played Warcraft, Everquest 1, Lotro, and Swtor over a 14 year time period and as much as i love things about this game, what they call expansions are really minor patches in comparison to all other mmo's ive ever played...i mean everquest 1 would release an entire finished expansion all at once, one a year, and it would be around 4x as much content as a Swtor expansion

With the movies coming i really hope they get there crap together, its mind boggling to me how you can fail so hard with the Star Wars name, this game should be bigger then WoW it makes no sense

EA budgetting. My guess is that considering the size of the team of developers of new content they're doing pretty good, problem is that the team isn't big enough to create more content over less time. At least that's how I see it.

EA budgetting. My guess is that considering the size of the team of developers of new content they're doing pretty good, problem is that the team isn't big enough to create more content over less time. At least that's how I see it.

they have no trouble making CM content ..i bet if they took half the people away from that , we would be getting decent content upgrades

i mean all they gotta know how to do for the CM stuff is use the color to target brush, to recolor already exsisting gear

A new planet, or a new daily area?

Oricon was a new planet, but that is hardly the same thing as Alderaan, now is it?

they have no trouble making CM content ..i bet if they took half the people away from that , we would be getting decent content upgrades

i mean all they gotta know how to do for the CM stuff is use the color to target brush, to recolor already exsisting gear

Oh god not this again. The team for CM content is a separate team that is a great money maker because it sells at a high price for less work.

Do you seriously think that the team who does CM items would make that much of a difference on making real content?

If anything the CM team creates budget for development of content. If you would put them on the team for new content instead they'd lose their jobs instantly and probably cost a few more jobs because there would not be CM sales anymore, leaving us with even less content and possible the game dying completely.

Sad is it is we currently need the CM team to create a financial foundation on top of the subs to even have a SWTOR game at all.

^ This...

SWTOR has never actually gotten a real expansion...

A real expansion would have been Chapter 4 of CLASS STORIES EQUAL TO CHAPTER 3. Similar number of full planets, and additions to all other areas of the game (FP/PvP,etc.)

Nothing less is a proper expansion to the game. The irony is that they could charge $60 for that and people would pay it. These $20 content packs are nice, but not real expansions.

Oh god not this again. The team for CM content is a separate team that is a great money maker because it sells at a high price for less work.

Do you seriously think that the team who does CM items would make that much of a difference on making real content?

If anything the CM team creates budget for development of content. If you would put them on the team for new content instead they'd lose their jobs instantly and probably cost a few more jobs because there would not be CM sales anymore, leaving us with even less content and possible the game dying completely.

Sad is it is we currently need the CM team to create a financial foundation on top of the subs to even have a SWTOR game at all.

Stop... just stop and think about what you're saying...

It is a circle that ends up going down a drain if you're not careful... So the CM team is cheap to run and makes lots of profits? Great, how about we JUST have a CM, and no actual game? What would happen?

If you don't develop the core game enough, then no one will be around to buy expensive shiny on the CM.

I agree twice as much. The reason why i don't even feel inclined to do HM of the forged alliance flashpoints. just reskinned old content ...pfftt..

And the rewards dont make it worth the time and wipes spent, the only way it would be is if the bonus boss 100% of the time dropped the mount