Mercs need a button for pvp viability,...

Thermisticles

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather other classes (sorc for instance) lose some of their "oh shyte" buttons than mercenary gain one. Its obnoxious how often classes just go into immortality instead of having to heal or fight their way out.

The "oh shyte" button is there to force a target switch. Its tactics and can save your bacon when being pounced upon. Besides, it is more likely that Mercs get one, as opposed to the developers taking it away from everyone else in my opinion.

Mercs are fine, stop QQing. Try being a poor sorc, wearing light cloth armors weilding a wimpy glowstick. They need buffed badly, not mercs! Mercs wear heavy armor. Mercs look cool. Mercs have a couple decent damaging abilities. What more do you want?!

An immunity bubble that heals me - sound familiar?

Your "oh shyte" button combination is a warzone adrenal and adrenaline rush. You've still got reactive shield and a Warzone med pack to get you back to 70% health and keep it there for a bit. This isn't considering your self heals, cleanse, hold the line kite, cc break, cryo grenade, knock back, net, spec specific abilities, utility talents etc.

These are tools that you could poosibly use 1v1. Not to mention the nerfs that mercs have had to some to these items ( i'm looking at you, 'heals') and the better defenses against these tools that other classes now enjoy (electronet now being a good example some a tool that can be countered by stealth classes).

The 'oh shiyte' button is for times when 3-5 players are going to pounce on you. You need to either A. Buy time for your team to help or B. Get the heck out of there. There is no Phase walk, no immunity bubble, no nothing.

Edited by Thermisticles

So much hyperbole in this thread... Maybe the dev's role they eyes so hard when they see phrases like "The class has been ignored in its entirety for a very long time" & "Mercs have been broken since 1.0" that they can longer continue reading :p

Please stop letting your frustration frame you perception of reality, folks. That being said, the dev's seem to be pretty firm on not giving mercs a new ability. I think people should just continue brainstorming on how to tweak the DCD's we do have to increase viability, as well as buff to off heals for dps w/o breaking the healing spec.

I told myself that i'd max out my pvp gear on the merc,..and if still not viable, retire him. My sorc is restlessly waiting on the wings.

When i am pounced upon, activate tech overdrive (giving me 2 instant casts of abilities which normally have a cast time), stun one, target switch, shock another, target switch, electronet another, then priming shot the electronetted one (who's now bashing on me), then, as stuns etc are broken, pushback the lot, tracer missile, blazing bolts, (they are now all beating on me), seismic shockwave (from cybertech skill tree, aoe knockdown, instant self heal, HO, run either for los or healing node, or if none nearby (i still usually get intercepted), death from above, going to die anyway, might as well slap them in the face.

Note the amount of GC'd i had to burn through to do all this. If opponents have stun immunity's, breakers etc, then whilst im doing all this fancy stuff, they are beating on me, pushing, chocking, stunning me etc.

No 'oh shiyte' option.

If i was a sorc, i'd use immunity bubble and,..wait. Either help will come, they will target switch or they will wait with me. I heal whist bubbled, then pushback etc. Stealth uses evasion, barrel rolls, etc etc.

I bet u don't play a sniper or mara

True. I've seen their mobility on the field though. Snipers have amazing defences, and more dps than mercs, and have that aoe stun, flashbang? is it called? plus a barrel roll

Maras, they can vanish, that's their 'oh shiyte' ability.

stop. please. the OP is mostly good/well-intentioned. but this particular point is a fail. sniper roll and op roll are very different. sniper mobility is always in a straight line. they are easy to los and easy to follow. mercs are harder to los (most of our stuff can be used on the fly) and far more mobile (HO not enet, is the most valuable tool mercs have). it's a pity that it's not as short a cd as op roll (concealment), but then again...it's not on a stragight line either. roll is 12m straight line.

I would much rather be the merc than the sniper. as crappy as life is for mercs, snipers are even more dependent on their team.

yes. buff mercs. definitely need on "oh poo!" button. no. mobility is not an issue. if it is, you're doing it wrong.

Sorry, I completely, utterly disagree. Mercs suffer a huge mobility issue compared to other classes.

Perhaps i should define what i ment by 'mobility' a little better though.

In this discussion, i was talking about mobilty being able to get from point A. to point B. in the shortest time possible,

Hence, the comparison to barrel rolls, leaps, sprints etc.

Yes, we can use los, but that is an observation of tactics used, as opposed to examining the mobility mechanics available to the class.

Again, i restate, Mercs are the least mobile class in the game.

30% flat DR while Adrenaline is active, baseline to the ability.

30% DR is applicable if you spend a point into it, and is applicable when stunned only. It's nice, no denying it, but not a 'oh shiyte' ability is the sense of this thread (absolutely vital in a 1v1 with a sin though).

Edited by Thermisticles

if I were you, I'd consider taking the shock absorbers (30% DR to aoe and while stunned) and Forced March (attacks while moving) heroics; advance the line (4s longer HTL) and suit FOE (cleanse is 30% DR on dots for 12s) masterful; tenacious defense (reduced cd on breaker and punt); concussive force (stock strike root -- only moderately useful in assault, heavy trooper is prolly better in assault); and if you still want more defense, go with charged barrier (1% DR on every charged bolt) for skillful. I prefer to be more offensive with the skillful utilities and take cell capacitor (alac + extra resource buff to recharge cells).

if you spec that way, then you'll find hatred sins are very managable (taken one at a time), and you can sit through most stuns (2v1 and sometimes 3v1) w/o burning that breaker. in fact, the breaker will usually get you killed.

as for your first move, I do not like tech override first. it depends on how they open on you, but if it's wars, snipers, and/or sorcs, I'd go with HTL. if it's ops or maras, a quick punt. you can also punt sins, but be very careful with them. you have to read what they've popped and are going to pop as you could easily waste a valuable cd.

if the sin or wars cc you, just take it. instant heal + med pac are your first recovery tools. save tech override for your cast heal while KITING.

sorry. this advice is scatter brained and incomplete, but I cannot think of a scenario where I would tech override first. although I haven't tried w/e gunnery is called this patch yet.

it would be NICE if there were no cd on our cast heal so that we could double up on it with TO, but you cannot. so...I'm not sure what other *instant* you need to case. I have mine macro'd to mezz. for emergencies but...iunno. those are all particular cases.

Edited by foxmob

30% DR is applicable if you send a point into it, and is applicable when stunned only. It's nice, no denying it, but not a 'oh shiyte' ability is the sense of this thread (absolutely vital in a 1v1 with a sin though).

"send a point into it"

what? I'm not talking about utilities, I'm saying 30% DR should be a part of the Adrenaline rush ability, not a talent, not a utility, baseline to the *********** ability.

if I were you, I'd consider taking the shock absorbers (30% DR to aoe and while stunned) and Forced March (attacks while moving) heroics; advance the line (4s longer HTL) and suit FOE (cleanse is 30% DR on dots for 12s) masterful; tenacious defense (reduced cd on breaker and punt); concussive force (stock strike root -- only moderately useful in assault, heavy trooper is prolly better in assault); and if you still want more defense, go with charged barrier (1% DR on every charged bolt) for skillful. I prefer to be more offensive with the skillful utilities and take cell capacitor (alac + extra resource buff to recharge cells).

if you spec that way, then you'll find hatred sins are very managable (taken one at a time), and you can sit through most stuns (2v1 and sometimes 3v1) w/o burning that breaker. in fact, the breaker will usually get you killed.

as for your first move, I do not like tech override first. it depends on how they open on you, but if it's wars, snipers, and/or sorcs, I'd go with HTL. if it's ops or maras, a quick punt. you can also punt sins, but be very careful with them. you have to read what they've popped and are going to pop as you could easily waste a valuable cd.

if the sin or wars cc you, just take it. instant heal + med pac are your first recovery tools. save tech override for your cast heal while KITING.

sorry. this advice is scatter brained and incomplete, but I cannot think of a scenario where I would tech override first. although I haven't tried w/e gunnery is called this patch yet.

it would be NICE if there were no cd on our cast heal so that we could double up on it with TO, but you cannot. so...I'm not sure what other *instant* you need to case. I have mine macro'd to mezz. for emergencies but...iunno. those are all particular cases.

Thanks for the advice, sound reasoning here. I dont chose FOE though, since its situational, i opted for 20% more to heals. I have the root and greater pushback ability, i chose the 30% DR when stunned and Tech Over ride to be used twice,..which means i can either instant heal, stun, tracer missile twice, or a combination of one of each. I try not to spec defensively because in a 'oh shiyte' situation, it isnt going to save you, and speccing defensively takes away from your ability to deliver dps - the mercs only role (unless specced for heals, of course).

30% DR is applicable if you spend a point into it, and is applicable when stunned only. It's nice, no denying it, but not a 'oh shiyte' ability is the sense of this thread (absolutely vital in a 1v1 with a sin though).

that's not what he was talking about. he's suggesting something that used to apply to VGs.

edit: sry. I see that was already correct while i was in wz

Edited by foxmob

I agree that mercs could use something, but I don't agree that they are the most immobile class in the game. I have played with my merc a bit in 3.0 (currently at level 57), and the Arsenal spec (can't remember if it is still called Arsenal) is quite mobile, only having to stop sometimes for tracer missile when it's not available to be instant. Snipers seem much less mobile, due to cover.

I don't think that their mobility is a problem, but I get what you are saying regarding defenses.

That's great, let's compare merc with immobile class, and this class wins! :rolleyes:

btw, i want that Shae Vizla oh shiyte skill - fire-hurricane. :D

Make it with 0.5m radius, but it should punish all direct attackers with massive fire burst right into the face. Just disable this skill in PvE instances. :)

Edited by Glower

Thanks for the advice, sound reasoning here. I dont chose FOE though, since its situational, i opted for 20% more to heals. I have the root and greater pushback ability, i chose the 30% DR when stunned and Tech Over ride to be used twice,..which means i can either instant heal, stun, tracer missile twice, or a combination of one of each. I try not to spec defensively because in a 'oh shiyte' situation, it isnt going to save you, and speccing defensively takes away from your ability to deliver dps - the mercs only role (unless specced for heals, of course).

I think you should hold onto that instant buff to the cast heal for while you're on the move and then turn a cast attack into an instant. (and when you have someone in "execute" range). everything else you can do on the move, either cuz it's an instant or with procs. the only stuff that needs a cast is mezz, plasma grenade, and the big heal. granted, this is assault and you're talking tracer spec. maybe you don't proc instant charged bolt and serrated, which are the only mainstays that are cast in IO.

in any case, if you truly feel like you're immobile, go over to the assault discipline. I promise you, that is a highly mobile spec. 90% of what you do is instants (w/procs).

I'm an Arsenal speced merc. I use Tech Overdrive for 2 instant casts of an otherwise channeled ability, typically main heal, tracer missile or a stun.

My mobility, i am looking at the speed in which i can get from point A. to point B. Other classes are far superior in this.

Edited by Thermisticles