The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What are the Lightsaber Forms that the Inquisitor uses ?

Kayriel

Just as the title said , i would really like to know what is the style or styles that the Inquisitor is using. Every Jedi or Sith in all the lore that i know of , that used this weapon , always favored a style and was proficient in at least 1 form , but unfortunately , i was not able to find any scrap of information on what form is the Inquisitor versed in.

If i take the class as a hole ( both ACs basically ) , i could try to make some guesses , but i may be wrong , so if any of you have any information with link to the sources if at all possible , i would greatly appreciate it :)

Now , since i have been playing a sith assassin that uses deception from vanilla game launch and that has learned the other 2 specs as well over the span of the game , along with playing a sorcer as an alt , i would venture to say that the Inquisitor uses a personalized version of Niman , backed up by Makashi, with elements from a few other styles .

I say this because , from what i was able to observe , most of the Inquisitor's moves are not designed to generate great amounts of kinetic energy , like the more strength oriented Shien/Djem So , but instead , are centered around precision and control, something taken from Makashi , and for this i am thinking of the Deception( and the old Madness as well ) discipline signature moves , like Low Slash which is a precise move designed to incapacitate a foe and lets not forget Maul a move that , for a very long time , was designed to be most effective when the inquisitor maneuvered around his opponent and dealt the blow from behind (still the same for Deception , but now Darkness can use it on front facing enemies and Madness doesn't use it at all and has access to Assassinate , a finishing move that , if judged by the animation alone , would be strong enough to crush an enemy's defense , which would be an element taken from the strength oriented forms).

Add to that a skill that has been removed from the game a very long time ago , when we were able to deliver a powerful roundhouse kick to enemies ( NPCs , it was not usable on players due to the strength of the move ) and if i am not mistaking , the Shadow AC still uses the animation for one of their attacks , which would imply some training in Ataru , a form in which the hole body is used as weapon , not just the saber , another trait of the Niman form , which combines elements from all previous forms into it.

For defense , i would have to say that elements of Soresu are heavily used , since the Inquisitor favors economy of movement and soaking attacks , all the while wearing down his foes with force attacks and the defenses that he employs , are elements used in developing Soresu , but with bit more of an aggressive touch to them coming from Force attacks or precise melee attacks but maybe not as refined as when focused on offence ( maul again , but this time frontal ).

Normally , Niman is the moderation form , favored by diplomats , a form that is quick to learn , but hard to master ,in my opinion , to its fullest extent ,something that the Inquisitor has done , since all notions of modetation were dropped and the form combines attacks from all the previous forms into a deadly move set that is very hard to counter.

The most prominent of user of the form being Exar Kun, a Sith that took full advantage of the form's versatility in combat , where he combined force attacks along with an unorthodox weapon ( double bladed lightsaber ) for the time he lived in , for exceptional results.

This is my theory on what the Inquisitor ( and most probably the Councilor as well , since the 2 classes are mirrors ) is using in combat , so lease tell me if i missed something or if my observations are wrong and most of all , please let me know if you have any idea of a source or an older post where the form was confirmed in any way.

I am actually hoping that someone from Byoware , will read this and maybe , just maybe leave a reply to this , so we all know what exactly is our character's fighting style. :D

The inquisitor likely uses Niman both with a double bladed lightsaber and without it. He likely doesn't use Makashi which is a style primarily based around dueling other lightsaber users. As a sorcerer this doesn't fit at all and there's no evidence of him using Makashi with a double bladed lightsaber. Niman seems more appropriate which is a lightsaber form that allows someone to rely heavily on the force during engagement. Edited by Rhyltran

Niman is the most likely form no matter which advanced class you pick, it is the go to style for someone who wants to focus on using the force but also wants to be good enough with a lightsaber to not get gutted the instant some guy that focuses on killing you with a laser sword gets close.

Niman is the most likely form no matter which advanced class you pick, it is the go to style for someone who wants to focus on using the force but also wants to be good enough with a lightsaber to not get gutted the instant some guy that focuses on killing you with a laser sword gets close.

Agreed and even as an assassin using a double bladed lightsaber you use a lot of force heavy moves.

Thank you for the replies guys , i am glad to see that i am not alone in my assumption that the inquisitor uses Niman :D

Would still be nice to have an actual confirmation from one of the BW reps on this , even if its not tied to any game mechanic and is not listed in the game in any way, it would be lovely , to get a reply here on the forums :)

Niman as an Inqusitor (since I believe it's Force based), Djem So as a tank, Jar'kai/Juyo maybe as a DPS

Actually it would be Niman all the way around from Inqusitor to Assassin since both rely more of the force than actual bade work. Even the assassin spends most of his time augmenting his blade with force abilities or shooting lightning itself so it would make more sense to learn Nimian than to spend time in other forms.

Djem So simply doesn't work with a double blade for the simple fact of you cant swing a double blade like a battering ram like Djem So does with a single saber. Jar'Kai is the form of a light saber in each hand, not a staff and Juyo, is a possibility since for offense this is what Maul used but for more defensive work he used Nimian.

Actually it would be Niman all the way around from Inqusitor to Assassin since both rely more of the force than actual bade work. Even the assassin spends most of his time augmenting his blade with force abilities or shooting lightning itself so it would make more sense to learn Nimian than to spend time in other forms.

Djem So simply doesn't work with a double blade for the simple fact of you cant swing a double blade like a battering ram like Djem So does with a single saber. Jar'Kai is the form of a light saber in each hand, not a staff and Juyo, is a possibility since for offense this is what Maul used but for more defensive work he used Nimian.

I agree with most of what you say , but do do believe even though Niman is the basis of the Inquisitor's fighting stile , he does favor specific moves taken from other stiles as well , depending on the approach he takes to the battle.

For instance , when using the deception discipline , i can see more of a Makashi mind set to the battle , since the discipline itself is about dispatching and disabling enemies with precise moves ( low slash & maul ) , besides the force attacks.

For Hatred , the assassin uses Assassinate more than the other 2 specs , which , at least from what i see , is more of a strength oriented move , and also Leeching Strike reminds me of a forward slash that would be a move more designed to be used with strength so this would suggest he leans more towards moves taken from Shien , not adopting the hole style , since the basis is still Niman , but incorporating the Shien moves into the repertoire more often.

Also , i do not don't see anything that would resemble Juyo for the assassin , since the 7th form of lightsaber combat was geared toward pure offence and was more demanding in terms of energy and focus along with the fact that the form is said to sacrifice much to bolster offence , leaving the user open to force attacks , but none of the disciplines seems to have any disposition towards that.

Out of the 2 stiles of combat that the inquisitor has at his disposal ( Sorc and Sin ) , i would have to say , that the Sorcerer is the one that uses Niman in its purest form , so he can focus more on destroying his opponents with the force , and the Assassin is the one that takes a more marshal approach in combat and uses Niman but more heavily influenced by elements from Soresu for defense ( Darkness ) and elements from Makashi ( Deception ) or from Djem So ( Hatred ) , all the while using the force in combination with the attacks as well.

I agree with most of what you say , but do do believe even though Niman is the basis of the Inquisitor's fighting stile , he does favor specific moves taken from other stiles as well , depending on the approach he takes to the battle.

For instance , when using the deception discipline , i can see more of a Makashi mind set to the battle , since the discipline itself is about dispatching and disabling enemies with precise moves ( low slash & maul ) , besides the force attacks.

For Hatred , the assassin uses Assassinate more than the other 2 specs , which , at least from what i see , is more of a strength oriented move , and also Leeching Strike reminds me of a forward slash that would be a move more designed to be used with strength so this would suggest he leans more towards moves taken from Shien , not adopting the hole style , since the basis is still Niman , but incorporating the Shien moves into the repertoire more often.

Also , i do not don't see anything that would resemble Juyo for the assassin , since the 7th form of lightsaber combat was geared toward pure offence and was more demanding in terms of energy and focus along with the fact that the form is said to sacrifice much to bolster offence , leaving the user open to force attacks , but none of the disciplines seems to have any disposition towards that.

Out of the 2 stiles of combat that the inquisitor has at his disposal ( Sorc and Sin ) , i would have to say , that the Sorcerer is the one that uses Niman in its purest form , so he can focus more on destroying his opponents with the force , and the Assassin is the one that takes a more marshal approach in combat and uses Niman but more heavily influenced by elements from Soresu for defense ( Darkness ) and elements from Makashi ( Deception ) or from Djem So ( Hatred ) , all the while using the force in combination with the attacks as well.

I'm not seeing how Low slash or Maul. Just because a movie is "precise" doesn't automatically mean it's a Makashi move. That's not the only thing that makes it Makashi. All styles in some way or another are based around precision because if they weren't you'd never be able to hit anything. Maakashi is a style that's about grace and precision that is based around fighting with a lightsaber. All the Maakashi movements mimic fencer esque style of fighting. Low Slash and Maul doesn't look anything like Maakashi.

Leeching strike is nothing like Shien either. In fact, this is a perfect example of Niiman. Niiman uses the force heavily in order to aid in battle. It's designed to be well rounded and have a little bit of everything (which is why you see different moves) but doesn't focus on any of them. On top of that you utilize the force in order to throw someone off balance, defeat them, and even to aid your attacks which is exactly what leeching strike is. You're utilizing the force to aid in the physical attack.

This is more examples of Niiman. You can't look at one or two moves as an example of another style. A style is more than one or two moves. It's a method of fighting. Just like you can't look at two moves and go "They're defensive in nature. The person is obviously doing Soresu" it doesn't work that way. Now if an opponent suddenly switches and begins fighting from an entirely defensive point of view, holding back, and drawing the opponent in closer then they're using Soresu.

I don't see any reason to believe the Sorcerer/Assassin uses anything BUT Niiman.

Speaking of Lightsabers in Star Wars Rebels.... I like Ezra's Saber... Its even more practical then I thought....

Love when he pulls it out, his master says no sabers and Ezra merely says "i know" then starts shooting.

Tickled me pink.

Love when he pulls it out, his master says no sabers and Ezra merely says "i know" then starts shooting.

Tickled me pink.

I was litterally saying... ok I dont care what "crazy saber" they come out with next... Ezra's wins. Double bladed, dont care Ezra's is better, Double bladed spinning... dont care Ezra's is better, Cross gaurd... Didnt you hear me? Ezra's is better lol :p. For ever more that would be the style saber I would use if I was a Jedi.

Edited by tunewalker

I'm not seeing how Low slash or Maul. Just because a movie is "precise" doesn't automatically mean it's a Makashi move. That's not the only thing that makes it Makashi. All styles in some way or another are based around precision because if they weren't you'd never be able to hit anything. Maakashi is a style that's about grace and precision that is based around fighting with a lightsaber. All the Maakashi movements mimic fencer esque style of fighting. Low Slash and Maul doesn't look anything like Maakashi.

Leeching strike is nothing like Shien either. In fact, this is a perfect example of Niiman. Niiman uses the force heavily in order to aid in battle. It's designed to be well rounded and have a little bit of everything (which is why you see different moves) but doesn't focus on any of them. On top of that you utilize the force in order to throw someone off balance, defeat them, and even to aid your attacks which is exactly what leeching strike is. You're utilizing the force to aid in the physical attack.

This is more examples of Niiman. You can't look at one or two moves as an example of another style. A style is more than one or two moves. It's a method of fighting. Just like you can't look at two moves and go "They're defensive in nature. The person is obviously doing Soresu" it doesn't work that way. Now if an opponent suddenly switches and begins fighting from an entirely defensive point of view, holding back, and drawing the opponent in closer then they're using Soresu.

I don't see any reason to believe the Sorcerer/Assassin uses anything BUT Niiman.

I never said that he uses anything other than Soresu , i just said that when he approaches combat from different angles ( Darkness ; Deception ; Hatred ; or Sorc , lol ) , even though he still uses Niman , he just tends to favor moves from the other styles a bit more than normal.

Honestly i've never seen the specific fighting styles , other than the SW movies and the Clone Wars series , but that was a while back , so i may have forgotten a bit about them , so i will admit that i may be wrong about the influences i previously mention , but i was also basing my assumptions on the animations displayed in game, where Assassinate feels like a heavy blow that you first gather momentum when swinging the saber above your head and then bringing it down hard , same with Low Slash , its a move that looks and feels more like a maneuver that is made to cripple or incapacitate your opponent ( what it actually does :) ) and reminded me of what Dooku did to Anakin when they first clashed on Geonosis.

Like i said above , this DOES NOT mean that the Inquisitor uses anything other than Niman , but that he favours certain moves that the style already has access to , more than others , depending on the approach to the battle.

I was literally saying... ok I dont care what "crazy saber" they come out with next... Ezra's wins. Double bladed, don't care Ezra's is better, Double bladed spinning... don't care Ezra's is better, Cross gaurd... Didn't you hear me? Ezra's is better lol :p. For ever more that would be the style saber I would use if I was a Jedi.

So you basically want a transformer weapon ?! :)) I was kind of hoping they would actually make the blade itself the projectile , like an Assassins Blade on steroids , but with lasers. :cool:

Seriously though , his sword is an interesting design :)

I was litterally saying... ok I dont care what "crazy saber" they come out with next... Ezra's wins. Double bladed, dont care Ezra's is better, Double bladed spinning... dont care Ezra's is better, Cross gaurd... Didnt you hear me? Ezra's is better lol :p. For ever more that would be the style saber I would use if I was a Jedi.

Only thing that would make it more awesome, if it had Dual Phase capability. I would be screaming "SOLD!"

I've been a fan of Star Wars since the very first movie hit the big screen. Where in the world do y'all gain so much knowledge of specific lightsaber combat forms? Is there a video reference guide somewhere? I would love to see it!

Wookieepedia but if you want a book that will give you information on that and a lot more interesting Jedi Knowledge? Check out Path of the Jedi and Book of the Sith. Path of the Jedi has an entire section on the lightsaber forms and a lot of other info.

This question have actually been debated in an earlier thread;

the common agreement was that the Inquisitor mainly uses Form II - makashi as Count Dokuu did before him. And it is the most logical choice since it is the most effective form in lightsaber to lightsaber combat and he is after all hunting Jedi. Kanaan on the other hand is mainly using Soresu which also is a logical choice since that form is the most effective in lightsaber to blaster combat, and in the time Kanaan recieved his training that was the primary use for a lightsaber.

In their first encounter the Inquisitor dissect and identifies Kanaans fighting styles by form and by which masters he is influenced. The Inquisitor has in their every encounter proven to be the superior lightsaber wielder. kenobi who is said to be the one who refined the soresu technic never stood a chance against count Dokuu. Anakin only surpassed Count Dokuu in frenzy, rage, there by getting the upperhand in their final encounter, guess Dokuu would have gotten a good use of a saberguard in that fight!!

so in conclusion; the Inquisitor uses Form II, and I can stretch to a mechanical influence of the brut fightingstyle of general Grievius.

Niman as an Inqusitor (since I believe it's Force based), Djem So as a tank, Jar'kai/Juyo maybe as a DPS

I tend to agree, Niman is probably the most likely style that the Inquisitor uses. However the Sith Assassin would be required to have proficiency in Jar'Kai as Jar'Kai is absolutely required for the use of Dual-Bladed weapons as well as Dual-Wielding. As such Jar'Kai is also the fundamental style of the Sith Marauder, the Jedi Sentinel, and the Jedi Shadow as well.

Edited by XantosCledwin

This question have actually been debated in an earlier thread;

the common agreement was that the Inquisitor mainly uses Form II - makashi as Count Dokuu did before him. And it is the most logical choice since it is the most effective form in lightsaber to lightsaber combat and he is after all hunting Jedi. Kanaan on the other hand is mainly using Soresu which also is a logical choice since that form is the most effective in lightsaber to blaster combat, and in the time Kanaan recieved his training that was the primary use for a lightsaber.

In their first encounter the Inquisitor dissect and identifies Kanaans fighting styles by form and by which masters he is influenced. The Inquisitor has in their every encounter proven to be the superior lightsaber wielder. kenobi who is said to be the one who refined the soresu technic never stood a chance against count Dokuu. Anakin only surpassed Count Dokuu in frenzy, rage, there by getting the upperhand in their final encounter, guess Dokuu would have gotten a good use of a saberguard in that fight!!

so in conclusion; the Inquisitor uses Form II, and I can stretch to a mechanical influence of the brut fightingstyle of general Grievius.

He's talking about the inquisitor in the game. The one you play as. Not the one from rebels.

He's talking about the inquisitor in the game. The one you play as. Not the one from rebels.

*smiles* who would have guessed that we're having a class discussion here instead of the Intended forum!!?

I would also guess that by Inquisitor one means sorcerer since the assassin uses a double blade, and there's yet to be invented a form for that, tho used left to right and here and there in both movie and television. Oh well, that is if we're now referring to the advanced classes!?:confused:

Edited by t-darko

*smiles* who would have guessed that we're having a class discussion here instead of the Intended forum!!?

I would also guess that by Inquisitor one means sorcerer since the assassin uses a double blade, and there's yet to be invented a form for that, tho used left to right and here and there in both movie and television. Oh well, that is if we're now referring to the advanced classes!?:confused:

Niiman is actually common amongst double bladed lightsaber uses. Exar Kun used Niiman. Darth Maul also knew Niiman and Juyo. The class thread is to talk about the classes but mostly the game mechanics related on the classes.

Edited by Rhyltran

This is the SW discution forum , which i believe is the best place to start a thread that does not related to any game mechanic or any of the advanced classes in particular :)

I specifically said the "Inquisitor" , since the class itself IS the Inquisitor and the story that goes with it is for the Inquisitor , which contains both the Sorcerer and the Assassin.

As a last note , Niman was used with a double bladed saber by Exar Kun and aparently Maul as well ( something i didn't know , i thought he was only using Juyo ) , as Rhyltran already stated :)