The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

min/maxing pyrotech pvp

xBlesingx

I enjoy the play style.

Shieldtech has a better cleave than Pyro, but its your call.

I'd recommend taking a couple hundred crit rating and then put the rest in power and surge. Although I could see some arguments for alacrity considering how alacrity works with dots.

I'd say cause of so few surge boosts, combined with the auto-crits and higher base crit chance, go for something like:

4-5 Surge pieces (implant/earpiece included)

5-6 Alac Pieces (implant/earpiece included)

Everything else Power

5-6 Alacrity is way too much for PvP, that would murder Pyro's burst from mediocre to non-existant. Pyro has enough difficulty killing stuff as is.

Alacrity with Pyro is for PVE... Period. I burned comms trying to get alacrity up, and the results were lacklustre. I had up to 6% (testing) and not once through the acquisition of the alacrity gear did I notice any super improvements in arenas. Realistically speaking, your damage will always be a variable entity, due to the chaotic nature of PVP. This is the biggest factor in why alacrity in pvp is useless, and why some would say it's great. Alacrity is something pve'ers need a bit of, to level out their cooldowns and their resource management. For in long pve encounters, they can get a bit of extra dps in. On that regard alacrity has merit.

For pvp, I play pyro full power with only around 20% crit. Rest is surge. You have auto crit on railshot and immolate, plus access to explosive fuel.

Furthermore, shieldtech's firestorm can hit the same as rank3 flamethrower at the moment, but that's it. There is absolutely no way shieldtech in dps gear can apply more dps pressure then pyro at all. You'll also be in que as a "tank". Definitely doable and fun with the right comps, but overall if you don't die in the first minute of the arena as Pyro, you'll be way ahead in terms of applied pressure. The oil slick from shield tech helps a lot for setting up "cleave" moments, but the same effect can be completed with a waste grenade as pyro.

5-6 Alacrity is way too much for PvP, that would murder Pyro's burst from mediocre to non-existant. Pyro has enough difficulty killing stuff as is.

Pyro is, or at least should, not be meant for killing people. It should be meant for putting out constant DoT pressure and making healing difficult for the other team IMO.

The problem with alacrity currently is that there isn't a burst cooldown skill that would make use of having more base alacrity, even more so we have no alacrity passives at all.

Such as (Hate to make a WoW reference) Dark soul (Ability) for Affliction (DoT based) Warlocks increases haste (alacrity) by a large amount for a time. Which effectively makes up for lost hard burst in favor for DoT based burst, which I feel Pyro should be.

So currently ranked has no use for alacrity with dot specs since there is no alacrity based burst abilities.

Adding DoT tick speed to alacrity is the first step, now there needs to be abilities to make better use of it.

I think Pyro should get an exclusive version of explosive fuel that increases alacrity instead of crit.

Edited by Turbinex

I think Pyro should get an exclusive version of explosive fuel that increases alacrity instead of crit.

A friend of mine is going to make a new thread soon about the powertech utilities and abilities, in which the devs should really take a look at. I'd like you to post in that. (Kain! let's roll!)

See I actually wanted alacrity to work. But...Scorch and Incendiary Missile are unaffected by alacrity because they have no cooldown. 2% alacrity shaves 6tenths of a second off your flamethrower, and is supposed to decrease your GCD.. idk. Like I said it sounds cool in theory but...

I think that if you really wanted alacrity in your gear, you could snag the Alacrity/Power enhancements, but keep your surge at 70% That's about all I'd concede. In the end, it doesn't really matter because pvp is chaotic (but we like it that way :rak_03: ), Just realize that the more alacrity you equip, the lower your crits and your upfront damage will be, simply to have an infinitesimal advantage on quicker GCD.

Edited by DethlaHadyn