Alienware Alpha running the SWTOR...

Tetsuos-despair

Thanks OP for the post. I've been curious about this. I like the Alphas form factor, and for me, I find that have a computer more like a console and connected to my stereo and my TV fits nicely in my entertainment room.

The graphics look great. And I saw very little evidence from this admittedly short vid of bottle necks anywhere. My questions are surrounding the controls however as I know the Alpha comes with an x-box 360 game pad. I assume you can plug in a key board and mouse, but if you could just comment on your experience with this I would appreciate it.

Also, did it come with Steam OS or was it some version of Windows?

It does look good from the little I know about it and it certainly will be an option for me soon as I'm continually building up my media room.

Thanks OP for the post. I've been curious about this. I like the Alphas form factor, and for me, I find that have a computer more like a console and connected to my stereo and my TV fits nicely in my entertainment room.

The graphics look great. And I saw very little evidence from this admittedly short vid of bottle necks anywhere. My questions are surrounding the controls however as I know the Alpha comes with an x-box 360 game pad. I assume you can plug in a key board and mouse, but if you could just comment on your experience with this I would appreciate it.

Also, did it come with Steam OS or was it some version of Windows?

It does look good from the little I know about it and it certainly will be an option for me soon as I'm continually building up my media room.

Glad the video is of some use to you and others, thanks for taking the time to check it out.

I also bought her a wireless Logitech Unifying receiver keyboard and mouse which is what she is using exclusively with the Alpha, it came with Windows 8.1 which was very much part of the appeal.

When you boot up the system it takes you to a proprietary OS by Alienware and you can choose to either go into Steam's big picture mode (I think that's what it's called) or boot to Windows desktop which is mainly how my girl uses it.

She just puts the machine into sleep mode and turns off the keyboard and mouse when not in use, and the thing is ready to go as soon as you turn on either.

Basically it's just a tiny PC, as far as the console aspect of it, I can see it working fine but it seems easier to just use it in desktop mode and fire up Steam desktop or any other software as you would on your PC vs fiddling with the Steam OS but it's cool that the option is there.

It's a neat little box!

• 4 months later...
This is a ridiculous attitude and it really needs to stop. I have been hearing this line from computer junkies for about the past 15 years.

The reality is this:

1. Some people (even tech savvy people who used to build their own) don't want to build ANOTHER computer. I am in the group. I used to build my own and now that I have a disposable income...I PAY OTHER PEOPLE TO DO IT. We don't care that we pay a premium to buy a name brand computer.

2. Computer costs are freakin cheap compared to even 5 or 6 years ago. Buying all the parts off new egg (or other site) no longer saves you the money it did. I think the last comparison I did showed a difference about $150-$300 for a pre built dell and buying the system piece by piece. Its not thousands like all the junkies and elitists claim. If you want an UBER GAMING RIG you can probably save a bit more on a custom site but damn is it a pain in the *** if you run into issues.

3. Quality and reliability is perfectly fine on name brand computers. In fact, I could make the argument that buying a pre built system is sometimes much more reliable than a custom build because of all the pre builts are guaranteed to work in that configuration. I *hated* worrying about memory configuration, buying the right motherboard, sending parts back when they didn't work. I have been buying dells since about 2001 and I have returned ONE hard drive in 15 years.

So...drop the attitude. No one needs to hear it.

Very well said. I'm in that same group. I'm an IT tech and have been one for longer than I care to remember :) There was indeed a time when building your own computer saved a ton of money, and I used to do that all the time too. But those days have gone as computer manufacturers have grown too. Once you could cut the price in half by building yourself, but now it's just a fraction of the savings versus the time you have to put into it. Now I'm more than happy to give the extra bucks to a company like Dell or HP or MSI to do the work for me, and if there is a problem they are happy to fix it and keep my business :)

Well we really liked the small form factor because our entertainment center is packed to the gills, and no cases exist that small that look as nice as the Alpha.

I have not been inclined or needed to build my own machine for several years now, nothing wrong with it, you usually get exactly what you want that way but why are we having that conversation when everyone knows that?

A waste of money is a very subjective term, we all know it is expensive to some sure, that's why there are cheaper options out there.

Tons of people would and do buy all sorts of stuff that are considered by others to be a waste of money i.e. a ferrari or a professional stove etc.

If you can afford it and it's what you want where is the crime?

If I had spent a few hundred of your dollars on it then I could understand your comment, but ultimately what concern is the cost of anything to you unless it's your own money?

Why buy anything you want like clothes, food or a new TV then? Many things can be argued as being "a waste of money".

TL;DR: But if it makes you feel better please accept my sincerest apology to you personally for "wasting" my money on my girlfriend's computer and for not first consulting you on your sage-like wisdom concerning the economic value of my purchases. :D

Its wasting money cuz you could have bought the same power for half the price or something a way way more powerfull for the same money.

I personaly spend 1500$ a year on my rig to keep it on top and its not wasted money cuz I get what I pay for. Your spending less then me a year on yours rigs but its a waste cuz you get less then What you could for the money.

Edited by Varlak

For some people, building a computer is a very scary proposition. There are a lot of wires that have to go in just the right place. The CPU fan is weird to put on. People might think CPUs still have a hundred fragile wires on the bottom... and if you screw one thing up.. BOOM! FIRE!

I've built my last probably 7 boxes, but I wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying if they weren't completely confident in a build... just like I would never think to rip an engine out of a car, strip it down to the block, and put it back together.

Buying a good box with a decent warranty is a reasonable approach.

Thank god I know how to work with my hands. I usually double my money off both types of people.

I didn't purchase an Alpha, but I recently got an Alienware (i7 core) about four months ago. I wouldn't have the slightest clue on how to build my own pc.

I have absolutely no regrets. It runs everything I want, the way I want, and that is all I care about.

For some people, building a computer is a very scary proposition. There are a lot of wires that have to go in just the right place. The CPU fan is weird to put on. People might think CPUs still have a hundred fragile wires on the bottom... and if you screw one thing up.. BOOM! FIRE!

I've built my last probably 7 boxes, but I wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying if they weren't completely confident in a build... just like I would never think to rip an engine out of a car, strip it down to the block, and put it back together.

Buying a good box with a decent warranty is a reasonable approach.

Yeah, but you can get them built for $50 or less.

Just go to your local computer place and give them the parts (or you can order the parts in store and have the whole thing as one purchase).

NCIX gives you a 2 year warranty for free as long as all the parts are new.

Wow..way to waste money!

Even with very minimal know-how you can easily find tutorials and whatnot online to build your own for a FRACTION of what you paid for that overpriced thing.

how much did it run you? you realize you could have built a machine just as good for probably half if not less...and/or built a machine twice as powerful?

always cool to get a new PC but..damn....what a waste

Someone hasn't priced or specced off the shelf systems lately. There are some savings, but not nearly what you claim, and for non-technical people, building your own also means no tech support.

You can save a lot more money over time by raising your own food or making your own clothes and shoes, yet somehow I think you probably get all those things at a store. That's a real waste.

Prior to getting my girl's Alpha i7 model I could not find any game-play videos of the Alpha running SWTOR, so we got one anyway and are very happy with the performance.

So, for anyone similarly looking into how the Alienware Alpha runs the poorly optimized beauty that is SWTOR please feel free to check out our video.

It consists of a quick RAM upgrade and a few minutes of a Warzone match where we both backpedal our way to victory, thanks entirely to the awesome teammates we were lucky enough to roll for that particular pug game on The Bastion that night . :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTompoY6TOk

I was looking at the Alienware alpha when it came out, looks great. While I usually prefer to build my own PC, the idea of a gaming computer that small is very enticing. Thanks for taking the time to make a video!

Wow..way to waste money!

Even with very minimal know-how you can easily find tutorials and whatnot online to build your own for a FRACTION of what you paid for that overpriced thing.

how much did it run you? you realize you could have built a machine just as good for probably half if not less...and/or built a machine twice as powerful?

always cool to get a new PC but..damn....what a waste

This is what I would typically build. I build one, once every 4 to 5 years.

14 Item(s) in your shopping cart: $1,974.69

EDIT: Tisk! Newegg didn't save my shopping cart. Anyway, my typical builds are usually made of mid-high to high end components. My machines are typically future proof for up to 6 years, but I start planning my next machine after 4 - 5 years.

In fact, I'm due to start planning my next build next year. I think that Alienware machine is a steal at $850.00 bucks, but I like building my own machines.

Edited by WorldSmasher