Alienware Alpha running the SWTOR...

Tetsuos-despair

Prior to getting my girl's Alpha i7 model I could not find any game-play videos of the Alpha running SWTOR, so we got one anyway and are very happy with the performance.

So, for anyone similarly looking into how the Alienware Alpha runs the poorly optimized beauty that is SWTOR please feel free to check out our video.

It consists of a quick RAM upgrade and a few minutes of a Warzone match where we both backpedal our way to victory, thanks entirely to the awesome teammates we were lucky enough to roll for that particular pug game on The Bastion that night . :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTompoY6TOk

Edited by Tetsuos-despair

Wow..way to waste money!

Even with very minimal know-how you can easily find tutorials and whatnot online to build your own for a FRACTION of what you paid for that overpriced thing.

how much did it run you? you realize you could have built a machine just as good for probably half if not less...and/or built a machine twice as powerful?

always cool to get a new PC but..damn....what a waste

Wow..way to waste money!

Even with very minimal know-how you can easily find tutorials and whatnot online to build your own for a FRACTION of what you paid for that overpriced thing.

how much did it run you? you realize you could have built a machine just as good for probably half if not less...and/or built a machine twice as powerful?

For some people, building a computer is a very scary proposition. There are a lot of wires that have to go in just the right place. The CPU fan is weird to put on. People might think CPUs still have a hundred fragile wires on the bottom... and if you screw one thing up.. BOOM! FIRE!

I've built my last probably 7 boxes, but I wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying if they weren't completely confident in a build... just like I would never think to rip an engine out of a car, strip it down to the block, and put it back together.

Buying a good box with a decent warranty is a reasonable approach.

Wow..way to waste money!

Well we really liked the small form factor because our entertainment center is packed to the gills, and no cases exist that small that look as nice as the Alpha.

I have not been inclined or needed to build my own machine for several years now, nothing wrong with it, you usually get exactly what you want that way but why are we having that conversation when everyone knows that?

A waste of money is a very subjective term, we all know it is expensive to some sure, that's why there are cheaper options out there.

Tons of people would and do buy all sorts of stuff that are considered by others to be a waste of money i.e. a ferrari or a professional stove etc.

If you can afford it and it's what you want where is the crime?

If I had spent a few hundred of your dollars on it then I could understand your comment, but ultimately what concern is the cost of anything to you unless it's your own money?

Why buy anything you want like clothes, food or a new TV then? Many things can be argued as being "a waste of money".

TL;DR: But if it makes you feel better please accept my sincerest apology to you personally for "wasting" my money on my girlfriend's computer and for not first consulting you on your sage-like wisdom concerning the economic value of my purchases. :D

Edited by Tetsuos-despair

TL;DR: But if it makes you feel better please accept my sincerest apology to you personally for "wasting" my money on my girlfriend's computer and for not first consulting you on your sage-like wisdom concerning the economic value of my purchases. :D

Send it back, build your own, and use the remaining money to take her out for a couple dozen lobster dinners :cool:

Wow..way to waste money!

This is a ridiculous attitude and it really needs to stop. I have been hearing this line from computer junkies for about the past 15 years.

The reality is this:

1. Some people (even tech savvy people who used to build their own) don't want to build ANOTHER computer. I am in the group. I used to build my own and now that I have a disposable income...I PAY OTHER PEOPLE TO DO IT. We don't care that we pay a premium to buy a name brand computer.

2. Computer costs are freakin cheap compared to even 5 or 6 years ago. Buying all the parts off new egg (or other site) no longer saves you the money it did. I think the last comparison I did showed a difference about $150-$300 for a pre built dell and buying the system piece by piece. Its not thousands like all the junkies and elitists claim. If you want an UBER GAMING RIG you can probably save a bit more on a custom site but damn is it a pain in the *** if you run into issues.

3. Quality and reliability is perfectly fine on name brand computers. In fact, I could make the argument that buying a pre built system is sometimes much more reliable than a custom build because of all the pre builts are guaranteed to work in that configuration. I *hated* worrying about memory configuration, buying the right motherboard, sending parts back when they didn't work. I have been buying dells since about 2001 and I have returned ONE hard drive in 15 years.

So...drop the attitude. No one needs to hear it.

Edited by Arkerus

Wow..way to waste money!

Most people are not comfortable with, or aware of, the option of building their computer. The rule of thumb is, if you're not comfortable doing it and don't want to learn, don't do it. It can be a time consuming and expensive project if something goes wrong. That said, it can be a rewarding and fun learning experience if they're really interested.

Edited by Projawa

I bought my two most recent computers (and in fact, dude, I did get a Dell). Built the one before it, spent a boatload for the top specs at the time (which included a Pentium 4 chip, shows how long ago it was). Ran fine for a fairly long time then one morning I woke up, tried to boot up - and while it made bootup sounds, blank screen. Got lots of advice, swap out the graphics card (except I didn't have one to swap out), swap out the motherboard (ditto), swap out the powersupply (ditto ditto). But there was no one I could call and say "fix this" even though it would've been within warranty period.

It can be fun to make your own computer, I enjoyed the experience. And you have utter flexibility and can save some money. But if something goes wrong, you're on your own. And that can be very not fun.

OP, you have no reason to apologize or even pay attention to those who like to hate Alienware. There's an old adage that says: "Good, fast, cheap: Pick any two" It's true that Alienware is not cheap, but getting something that IS cheap simply means you have a cheap product. People here like to brag how cheaply they can build their own computer, very likely because they don't have enough net worth to afford a more expensive one in the first place. Their Moms would balk at shelling out that kind of money when these kids won't even do their chores.

But any time you hear the phrase, "Mine is JUST AS GOOD AS" you know something is up. You can buy a used Buick instead of a Mercedes or a Porsche, too. After all, they all have four wheels and can get you around at the same speed (if yer legal), so it's just a "waste of money" to buy a Mercedes. And let's just admit that they have a valid point. There's nothing wrong with getting a computer with a cardboard case if that's what you want to do or that's all you CAN do. Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing.

So enjoy your rig. It's a quality machine and you ought to have fun with it.

OP, you have no reason to apologize or even pay attention to those who like to hate Alienware. There's an old adage that says: "Good, fast, cheap: Pick any two" It's true that Alienware is not cheap, but getting something that IS cheap simply means you have a cheap product. People here like to brag how cheaply they can build their own computer, very likely because they don't have enough net worth to afford a more expensive one in the first place. Their Moms would balk at shelling out that kind of money when these kids won't even do their chores.

But any time you hear the phrase, "Mine is JUST AS GOOD AS" you know something is up. You can buy a used Buick instead of a Mercedes or a Porsche, too. After all, they all have four wheels and can get you around at the same speed (if yer legal), so it's just a "waste of money" to buy a Mercedes. And let's just admit that they have a valid point. There's nothing wrong with getting a computer with a cardboard case if that's what you want to do or that's all you CAN do. Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing.

So enjoy your rig. It's a quality machine and you ought to have fun with it.

That's a bit harsh. As I said above, I've built a bunch of my own rigs. I do it because A) I can, B) It takes relatively little effort and C) I get more performance for the dollar doing it.

I suppose I could buy boxed stuff. I certainly have the disposable income for it. But I like building computers and I like saving a few bucks here and there. Well... no... really I don't save the cash. It's more like getting the absolute best possible performance for the budget I was going to spend either way.

All that said, yeah, if someone wants to build instead of buy, that's fine, too. Just do the research first so you're sure you're actually getting a good rig.

Wow..way to waste money!

I'd buy a boxed system and I've been working in an IT department for over ten years.....and that's why I'd buy a boxed rig, yeah sure I can build one, but it's a chore rather than a hobby.

When I go home I just want it to work, and if it doesn't, I want it to be some other mooks problem because I'm off duty :)

So thanks for your efforts OP, some of us are interested and grateful.

In the end, you should do what you're most comfortable with. I used to go to a retailer that specialized in building PCs and went through every component with him to fit my budget. It was more expensive than building my own, but also a lot cheaper than buying DELL.

Then, with my current PC, I figured that it couldn't be that hard to build my own machine especially with the modern casings that make it easy to install the different comps. I did some research on what CPU fits which socket and what kind of RAM I'd need and ordered everything including a big *** cooler for my CPU. I was pretty nervous at first, but after the mainboard was installed inside the casing and the CPU+fan was in place, it was just a matter of following the instructions on what plug went into which socket for the most part. I was really surprised about how powerful a PC I had built with the budget I had.

I'm also not a fan of small casings tbh as I had trouble installing a GeForce 970 GTX, I got for an upgrade after X-mas, into my Midi-Tower. It just barely fits into it and I don't even need to think about using SLI with my current casing.

Edited by Knorlac

i'm not sure you have enough knowledge about computer hardware to be saying these things.

the point is not to "build your own" with cheap components. the point is that you can "build you own" picking and choosing PREMIUM, FASTER components and still spend much less than a pre-fabricated alienware branded rig.

i understand the disinterest in building a machine yourself. in that case i would recommend you go to a computer shop or look online for resellers that do put together rigs like this which will get you better components at less the cost.

alienware gives the illusion of using premium parts when they actually dont...and still they charge premium prices. it's like monster hdmi cables.

i'm not sure you have enough knowledge about computer hardware to be saying these things.

the point is not to "build your own" with cheap components. the point is that you can "build you own" picking and choosing PREMIUM, FASTER components and still spend much less than a pre-fabricated alienware branded rig.

i understand the disinterest in building a machine yourself. in that case i would recommend you go to a computer shop or look online for resellers that do put together rigs like this which will get you better components at less the cost.

alienware gives the illusion of using premium parts when they actually dont...and still they charge premium prices. it's like monster hdmi cables.

I don't think you understand WHY people go to a pre made brand name. We don't to mingle around a "computer shop" and pick out parts even if someone else builds it.

Now if you were actually referring to something like Digital Storm or ECollegePC then that's a perfectly viable option for people who don't want to build their own. But, that is exactly like going to dell.com and doing the same thing. Last time I priced the same machine from Digital Storm and dell, they were about $100 in difference.

The point I think most people are trying to make is that we don't want to build one because we are willing to pay a premium to have someone else do it. The point isn't that dell might be using cheaper components but that we are willing to pay a premium to have it pre built.

The point I think most people are trying to make is that we don't want to build one because we are willing to pay a premium to have someone else do it. The point isn't that dell might be using cheaper components but that we are willing to pay a premium to have it pre built.
but then you said...

I don't think you understand WHY people go to a pre made brand name. We don't to mingle around a "computer shop" and pick out parts even if someone else builds it.
does not compute.

i'm not even sure what you're trying to say. you can get the shop to build it for you. and get a better system. and pay less.

only value proposition alienware would have would be on the support side of things. in which case you'd still be better off getting it quikly fixed by someone who knows what they're doing.

but hey keep paying more for terrible alienware systems, not my money. lol

Really? The OP does something helpful for people on the fence about buying a certain computer model and (s)he gets insulted for three pages for not building his/her machine?

How many technological things have you not built yourself? Post your pics of your home-built smartphones, TVs, tablets, and laptops, please, and I'll eat my words.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.