The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Star Wars Rebels: Season 2 episode..

Wolfninjajedi

So....the newest episode to kick off mid Seasn 1 of Rebels. Was...pretty interesting imo and while what it showed wasn't really true, it was rather dark....which is surprising as were only in Season 1. Figured it would have been about till Season 4 it would become like that, looking forward to seeing what the other episodes entail although it seems we gotta wait till the 19th....lame.

But anyway, thoughts?

Edited by Wolfninjajedi
Title fix.

intreasting episode... not sure if I liked it or not. now that we've actually seen it in game though, gotta say Ezra's lightsaber design isn't something I like. looks like a friken staple gun

The design is kinda....ehh...but it's not like there haven't been weirder designs. I'm not a fan of it...but I guess it's something that could be grown to liking or at least tolerate.

So why not write it!! About the lightsaber!!?

It has a metal handguard and a suspiciously design that looks like it could sprout a saber like crossguard!!! May it be of a 'classic' design from the EU, NOT like the one in the teaser!!! The general design, tho, looks like some of the sabers we got ingame!!!

So is the plan to make way for the crossguard lightsaber in the teaser!!?? And/or in some way establish the need for some kind of handguard to counter the Inquisitors spinning thing!!?

But in general I must say I enjoyed the episode!!

i thought it was still season 1, just had a midseason break?

Oh! Whoops, yes you're right. XD Silly me...I thought it was Season 2 already...even still that makes it more impressive, that the episode was rather dark.

I edited the title n such to fit it better.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

To be fair it looks like a "logical" lightsaber to me. It has what I believe is something that should be on all lightsabers but because of the Jedi Code or whatever is understandably always left out. The ability to shoot your opponent when you clash with them, but from what I'm expecting it's probably going to disappoint me in it's usability.

A. It's most likely going a "Soft Blaster" that has the "hurt" range of Ezra's Slingshot blaster and just stun people.

B. He probably can't use both modes at the same time. (Which imo sucks and decreases from it's point.) though...that kinda would make him OP when you think about it.

Why am I so cynical? Well The Clone Wars is why.

Edited by CassusVerda

Finally got the chance to sit down and watch it. Overall, I really liked it.

I do wish they'd get off that planet more already. About 30 seconds before Ezra has his vision of where the temple will be, there was a quick shot from above of the Phantom flying over Lothal and I thought to myself "the temple's going to be right there on Lothal, isn't it?"... then, sure enough. They did at least hang a lampshade on it with the dialogue though, so that mitigated the problem a bit.

I can appreciate them starting the show's story 'small' with the action focused on Lothal, especially if the overall series is going to be about them becoming part of a 'larger world' once they get involved with the Rebellion (or with helping to start it), it does make sense to keep things focused on a single world for the first season or so. But even so, things like finding a Jedi Temple would be perfect opportunities to give us just a taste of that larger world the way they did with "Rise of the Old Masters".

Ezra's 'trial' in the temple was really solid though, nice and evocative of Luke's vision in the Dagobah cave, but still different enough to make it feel fresh.

The 'face your fears' part of the trial was great, they did a good job having the Inquisitor appear menacing, and the bit with having Ezra overhear his worst fears about the crew felt spot-on: being afraid that his best friend really doesn't care about him, his mother figure is just using him, and his crush pities him, all rang true for the character to have.

Having a character sit and give a soliloquy about their feelings and epiphany can be a particularly dicey move for a show, but I thought Ezra's speech worked well enough, and once the voice showed up the rest of the episode worked really well. It was a good exploration of Ezra's character and motivations (it would have been a bit 'on the nose' in an adult drama, but this is one area where I actually do think you can get away with spelling things out a bit more overtly if your target audience is kids).

With this episode following on the heels of what I thought was an excellent two-parter before the mid-season break, I'm still feeling cautiously optimistic about the show as a whole - but we'll see if they can keep it up.