servers full, still seems lifeless.

acheros

No, it's not. The number shown is the number in your shard. This is trivial to verify; simply switch shards and watch it change drastically. This works paricularly well late in the eve if you are in a shard that has depopulated. You might see 6, then switch to shard 1 and see 100.

Now general chat IS cross shard, but the number shown isn't.

This.

There seems to be a lot of confusion over this point.

In any case, the sharding is being tuned down once we get past the initial rush phase of everyone loping through the content (it's there to help people from having to compete with tons of other people for quest objectives in the non-instanced areas during the beginning rush of population).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the sharding. One of my biggest pet peeves about MMOs is being told by the NPC that they desperately need my help to do something, except when I get to the quest objective there are 100 other people milling around there too.

Ruins the whole feel.

perhaps maybe that's what mmorpg's are supposed to be and not layered heavily instanced?

Down with player segregation! :p

"Supposed to be" is just an appeal to tradition, which is a logical fallacy.

sharding will eventually kill the game, no one likes playing a mmo alone

I dunno what hours you're playing, but I always see other players around. It's just not crowded.

Edited by Caelrie

It is for me, and my server.

and before anyone asks, yes. i have even /who'd, and the number on the /who comes up as the same as the number by the planet name.

And yet, that doesn't seem to match the results other people are getting when they do the same. I doubt what that number represents changes based on your server. It's possible that when you checked it, there was only 1 shard (in other words, not enough people on planet to spawn a new shard) and so the number in your shard was the number on the planet.

But to OP's point, there aren't many people on the high level planets. Most folks have not gotten that far yet so it makes sense that it feels sorta dead. Give it time.

As I'm a player that wanted a single player game rather than a MMO in the first place, I like it when a planet is relatively devoid of other players. That is one reason I try to play at off-times for my server. I prefer to see few (or no) other players when I'm questing.

The funny thing is, WoW realms only seem busy because the majority of players just stand (or fly) in their major city and queue up for BGs, arena, dungeons or raids. If you go outside of Org or SW, you'll find most zones are largely empty.

Also yeah, there's a lot of instancing in SWTOR. I quite like it though.

they didnt seem to lifeless when i was corpse camping imperials on my 445 expertise jedi guard for 3 hrs in tattooine, hitting these kids for 7k making them not want to respawn.

You sound like a real "winner", and I'm betting you'll be back here in a few months crying about getting camped incessantly by "nasty imperial players" ;-)

Edited by Scerion

When I only see the UI report a maximum of 170 people on Dromund Kaas or the Imperial Fleet on my server, at 8pm when it's got queues, I have to say it's quite disappointing. Even if this is reporting how many people are in the specific instance I am in, not in the whole zone, there's never more than two instances.

I only see about 5 people while I am running about doing stuff, more in busy areas with vendors and lots of quests, but I think they should just get rid of instancing and/or increase server capacity. It's not funny to queue for 15 minutes just to play in a zone with a maximum of 170 people (most of whom I won't even see, and often the count is much lower). This is a unique pattern as far as the many MMOs I've played go.

Edited by PJEBarlow