servers full, still seems lifeless.

acheros

Not really a complaint - seriously, i don't mind at all. Just an observation. the server i'm playing on, has had queues up to 20 minutes at most - Yes, i know, relatively short, don't complain please. and is usually are heavy, or full

Yet still most planets only seem to have 30-40 people. I think the most i've EVER seen was around 80 on tattooine.

So where is everyone? Is the cap just not high enough?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really a complaint - seriously, i don't mind at all. Just an observation. the server i'm playing on, has had queues up to 20 minutes at most - Yes, i know, relatively short, don't complain please. and is usually are heavy, or full

Yet still most planets only seem to have 30-40 people. I think the most i've EVER seen was around 80 on tattooine.

It's the server instancing that's causing it. If you browse the forums there are tons of posts about it.

why do you want the entire area spammed with players all over the place killing your quest mobs. making collection quest and quest in general a pain the butt to do?

i've always hated that about WOW. you go into an expansion and the new areas are just flooded with people and the simplest task take minutes or hours to complete.

why do you want the entire area spammed with players all over the place killing your quest mobs. making collection quest and quest in general a pain the butt to do?

i've always hated that about WOW. you go into an expansion and the new areas are just flooded with people and the simplest task take minutes or hours to complete.

Yeah but guess what. At least it feels like a MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER ONLINE game, not a sp one.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm completely for sharding to PREVENT that. But even -with- sharding, as a whole, planets seem entirely dead..

When you go to a planet, theres a number by the name. That number is EVERYONE on the planet, regardless of shard. On average there are only 30-40 people on any given planet.

With sharding, that seems like hardly any.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm completely for sharding to PREVENT that. But even -with- sharding, as a whole, planets seem entirely dead..

When you go to a planet, theres a number by the name. That number is EVERYONE on the planet, regardless of shard. On average there are only 30-40 people on any given planet.

With sharding, that seems like hardly any.

30, or 40 ? The least I have seen is 120ish, most have more than that. Yes I will agree that in early access and a couple days into launch I didn't see many people, but it's picked up a lot. Level in other mmo's once the lvl cap rush has been completed and you won't run into a lot of ppl.

Maybe people just arent as far as you on hoth in my server there are only 6-10 people but i think thats fine im higher lvl then most people on my server. When the game has been out longer and all the new players are off the starting planets you will see more people you have to give it time.

Maybe people just arent as far as you on hoth in my server there are only 6-10 people but i think thats fine im higher lvl then most people on my server. When the game has been out longer and all the new players are off the starting planets you will see more people you have to give it time.

the most i've ever seen, was 80 or so, on tattooine, one day.

currently im on alderaan, today there was 36 while i was playing.

the most i've ever seen, was 80 or so, on tattooine, one day.

currently im on alderaan, today there was 36 while i was playing.

the highest I've seen was around 190 on tython the numbers on the planets only get lower as you get farther there were about ~40 players on Alderaan when i was there, the game just needs more time and we will see more players on each planet as the standard player progresses farther.

the highest I've seen was around 190 on tython the numbers on the planets only get lower as you get farther there were about ~40 players on Alderaan when i was there, the game just needs more time and we will see more players on each planet as the standard player progresses farther.

tattooine was the spike for me, that i can remember. It slowly rose, actually koriban seemed to have the least(im a sith inquisitor) then it slowly rose, then tattooine capped at around 80, then boom, alderaan had almost none.

But even then they all seem very lifeless.

I think he means we'd all be happy with at least A FEW people in the same area not like 50 others. Atm im questing on my own because only 2 people on the planet are probably on the same quest and its hard to party up. With more people, questing will be quicker as yo u can group up

tattooine was the spike for me, that i can remember. It slowly rose, actually koriban seemed to have the least(im a sith inquisitor) then it slowly rose, then tattooine capped at around 80, then boom, alderaan had almost none.

But even then they all seem very lifeless.

Is Tatooine a world with Instances? idk because i never payed much attention to that but if there are multiple instances then you might be in the lower player instance try changing to another instance i think the player number is the total of all instances on that planet. I for one think the instance system is great if the area is too populated i can always switch instance in hopes of lower people that would have been great in FFXI since most NMs took days to respawn or hours instances give you better chances of getting done what you need but besides that I would think that its from being in a low instance or just people spread all around tatooine is kinda big when you look at it i still just think it will be a matter of time before you start to see more people and it becomes lively. Another thing with the instances is it keeps down lag on FFXI the main hub for everyone was Jeuno which was always 300+ in that one zone and it wasnt too big so you can imagine the lag at times but all the same i think its just instances and time

Is Tatooine a world with Instances? idk because i never payed much attention to that but if there are multiple instances then you might be in the lower player instance try changing to another instance i think the player number is the total of all instances on that planet. I for one think the instance system is great if the area is too populated i can always switch instance in hopes of lower people that would have been great in FFXI since most NMs took days to respawn or hours instances give you better chances of getting done what you need but besides that I would think that its from being in a low instance or just people spread all around tatooine is kinda big when you look at it i still just think it will be a matter of time before you start to see more people and it becomes lively. Another thing with the instances is it keeps down lag on FFXI the main hub for everyone was Jeuno which was always 300+ in that one zone and it wasnt too big so you can imagine the lag at times but all the same i think its just instances and time

Okay, please, try to understand what i'm saying..

All, planets, have, shards. HOWEVER...shards only effect the people you SEE. You can still communicate, group, and see how many people are on the planet REGARDLESS OF SHARDS.

So, when you go to tattooine and it says "tattooine - 25" that means there are 25 people on tattooine, peroid. There are 25 people combined on every shard of that planet on your server.

thats what i'm talking about when i say planets seem dead.

I would like to echo the observation which the OP has made. I mainly play during what should be considered peak times (anywhere between 4 PM - 10 PM) and nowhere other than Coruscant has more than 100 people. I'm lucky to see more than one instance on any planet.

I can only assume that all this server traffic is coming from Empire characters.

I would like to echo the observation which the OP has made. I mainly play during what should be considered peak times (anywhere between 4 PM - 10 PM) and nowhere other than Coruscant has more than 100 people. I'm lucky to see more than one instance on any planet.

I can only assume that all this server traffic is coming from Empire characters.

for me its the exact opposite, though. I'm an empire so all the traffic is probably from republic.

want to trade?

Gonna explain it again, Shards were created to alleviate the concentration of mass players in one area, to reduce lag....because if they did not do this all the post would be"cant move to much lag" This game was going to have a HUGE launch and that was a great way to help folks with low end machines. As the population evens out on their play times such as not on christmas break playing 24/7 etc, then BW can start removing shards for people to see more (even tho I have seen lots) Servers are not shards but (instancing) People are there, chats are full.

Gonna explain it again, Shards were created to alleviate the concentration of mass players in one area, to reduce lag....because if they did not do this all the post would be"cant move to much lag" This game was going to have a HUGE launch and that was a great way to help folks with low end machines. As the population evens out on their play times such as not on christmas break playing 24/7 etc, then BW can start removing shards for people to see more (even tho I have seen lots) Servers are not shards but (instancing) People are there, chats are full.

I'm going to say this as slowly..and loudly as i can...

I'm, not, talking, about, shards.

SO your saying in 2012 with all the advancements in server technology and games like Eve that have 40 and 50 thousand people playing on 1 server concurrently that the absolute MOST that bioware's servers can handle is around 150 people a shard?

Is that REALLY what your trying to defend? Sorry sir, but your argument is terrible. Try again next time.

On a somewhat different note, I feel like many areas of the game are lifeless due to a lack of NPCs. On nar shadaa they did a great job of making it feel like a bustling populated city...except that there's no one there. I understand why there wouldnt be a ton of civilians in the gang owned area, but in the main area there should be CROWDS of NPCs walking around and doing NPC things. Instead theres like 5 just hanging out. I think it would have felt a lot less lifeless if they just added a ton of star wars aliens and even humans just walking around...carrying shopping bags, yelling at eachother, about to engage in fist fights, beggars asking for credits, I dont even care, just ANYTHING.

Same with the imperial fleet. It should be crowded with stormtroopers (or whatever the equivalent would be in this time of star wars) marching around, or NPCs who are lurking the GTN for stock prices etc. That way when I go to Tatooine and its empty (as it should be) i feel like I'm actually on a different world.

/rant

On a somewhat different note, I feel like many areas of the game are lifeless due to a lack of NPCs. On nar shadaa they did a great job of making it feel like a bustling populated city...except that there's no one there. I understand why there wouldnt be a ton of civilians in the gang owned area, but in the main area there should be CROWDS of NPCs walking around and doing NPC things. Instead theres like 5 just hanging out. I think it would have felt a lot less lifeless if they just added a ton of star wars aliens and even humans just walking around...carrying shopping bags, yelling at eachother, about to engage in fist fights, beggars asking for credits, I dont even care, just ANYTHING.

Same with the imperial fleet. It should be crowded with stormtroopers (or whatever the equivalent would be in this time of star wars) marching around, or NPCs who are lurking the GTN for stock prices etc. That way when I go to Tatooine and its empty (as it should be) i feel like I'm actually on a different world.

/rant

Honestly, i kind of like the lack of NPCs because, i have a rather low end computer so it reduces lag a TON.

Now, i know, i know, greedy me only thinking about myself..But one thing all MMOs need is accessablity.