PvP almost unplayable because of horrible frame rates

Shredit

I had played the game a couple years ago on my old computer, and it ran fairly well. I upgraded my computer this summer.

When I came back this month I noticed the bad fps, and had to set all my graphics settings to less than they were a couple years ago on my old (much slower) computer.

Then just yesterday I downloaded a new graphics driver from Nvidia, along with finally setting up the Nvidia experience. It asked if I wanted to optimize SWTOR, and I said sure. It set everything to the highest levels. I thought when I logged in I would be looking at a slideshow.

But, suddenly, the game runs beautifully and looks gorgeous. It is MUCH smoother now than it was on the lower graphics setting prior to Nvidia doing whatever it did.

I have absolutely no idea what Nvidia did beside turn up the graphical settings, but they did something when I clicked optimize, because the game runs so much better now it's baffling.

An anecdote for you all. I have no idea what actually happened, but it worked perfectly.

edit:

Specs:

i7-4770 3.40ghz

8g ram

64bit

gtx 760

Runs very well on highest settings (since I clicked 'optimize' yesterday).

Edited by Chuckbobuck

I have absolutely no idea what Nvidia did beside turn up the graphical settings, but they did something when I clicked optimize, because the game runs so much better now it's baffling.

The geforce experience software had nothing to do with it. It was the updated driver that fixed your issues.

I was thinking that, but the driver was only a few months out of date. Could that really have done it?

Doesn't matter how old it is. Drivers will always impact performance. Sometimes new drivers cause problems which is why its suggested to go back to older drivers sometimes. The geforce experience software had nothing to do with it. Even with your old driver it would have done the same thing with its "optimal" settings. Its just that the newer driver you installed is more compatible with the game than the old one. So if you ever update the driver again and you have issues again? Guess what, revert to the one you had before.

Doesn't matter how old it is. Drivers will always impact performance. Sometimes new drivers cause problems which is why its suggested to go back to older drivers sometimes. The geforce experience software had nothing to do with it. Even with your old driver it would have done the same thing with its "optimal" settings. Its just that the newer driver you installed is more compatible with the game than the old one. So if you ever update the driver again and you have issues again? Guess what, revert to the one you had before.

Interesting. I assumed it was magic.

Just want to give you all this info. Do what you want with it, but I figure I'd throw it out there because I'm getting a different result.

My FPS has been fine since 3.0. Don't ask me what I get though, I don't monitor my fps unless I have an issue. However, I do get terrible lag spikes in pve. I know these are server side because I'll be talking with my guild mates on vent and we will all get the same lag at the same time.

The interesting part though: none of us get any lag spikes or bad fps in warzones. So what's different between us and you? I've been playing the lowbie warzones. Nothing has really changed there since the patch. I think someone pointed it out earlier in another post that the new effects from the new abilities might have something to do with the fps drop. That would explain why my fps is fine in the lowbie warzones.

Last night I encountered some really bad hitching on two maps pretty consistently - Queshball and Makeb Mesa Arena. The Makeb map was unplayable and the experience was the same all three times I got the map while running Ranked so I don't think it was lag issues on my side.

All the other maps I played last night, and even Yavin OPvP, ran pretty smooth for me. But there seems to be something definitely wrong with Queshball and Makeb Arena.

During the early release of 3.0, TONS of people experienced ridiculous delays in abilities while questing in the new content. We all figured this was just new release bugs that would (hopefully) be fixed asap. I had never experienced any of the lag in pvp, but I wasn't doing pvp a whole lot right after 3.0 early release hit. I was more focused on getting to 60 and seeing the new quests.

Then I made a new toon and also started finishing up other toons that were in the 20s-30s range and that is when I discovered the wonderful land of frozen pvp. I would try to use an ability only to have the game sort of freeze up on me for a few seconds (felt like 20), meanwhile, im mashing the button like a wow pvp pro (lol) and getting nothing. Then suddenly, BOOM everything moves and zips into place--it's like fast forwarding. I know it's not my comp because I have comparable stats to most others posting in here. Also, like the rest of you, pre-early release i was fine.

I have gotten to the point where I can play the game for like, an hour, then have to log because I can't take the frustration of this lag--even while questing it's bad. Another hour or so later, I'll come back and try again, only to log off in frustration. I love this game, I want to play it, but geez come on...fix this lag!

Quesh ball yes. That is the only one that has a bit of problems, but no more than pre 3.0 in my experience. Makeb arena only in non ranked since 3.0. Again that is the only other one that I had issues with pre 3.0, but haven't had much trouble with it post 3.0. Different story in ranked? Edited by Saikochoro

MY FPS has always been horrible in this game in warzones, that's one of the reasons why I quit playing 2 years ago, I came back a few weeks before the expansion hit and my fps was decent 35-50 in warzones (decent as in playable, not decent as in expected performance for my hardware).

8v8 and my game drops to 12-25 fps no matter what settings I change is just ridiculous. Why isn't there a particle reducing option in the graphics? Also the amount of stutters you get in this game weather it be for a second or two or for half a second, they're too common and so annoying. I feel like every time I whip my camera around I get a micro stutter, sometimes a 1 second freeze.

GTX 670

i5 4760k

8gb ram

win 7 64

12-25 fps in warzones(In combat) 20-25(not in combat but watching combat happen) 30-45(looking away when combat is happening and being away from it)

Also to the people complaining about 'Lag' that is not the same thing as FPS and should not be mentioned in this thread.

Edited by Infiniteh

I also noticed that Ancient Hypergate and Quesh Huttball have the worst performances, FPS wise.

What is so 'special' about those two?

I think those 2 are "newest" WZs. And maybe using some new shaders or so which are absent into olds.

I think those 2 are "newest" WZs. And maybe using some new shaders or so which are absent into olds.

So... Instead of improving the performance, which was bad to start (but bearable) , they only bork it further. Seems legit.

A few more expansions and only NASA computers will be able to run this game.