Quartermaster Bulo 8m HM - first add wave position

Hello everybody,

last raid we tried quartermaaster bulo 8m hardmode for the first time.

We had big problems with the first add wave. It seems they spawn quiet randomly. Sometimes on the plateau behind the boss, sometime on the right side.

At Pull we all stand inside 10m of the boss. Our off tank then takes the barell and go upstairs to the platform behind boss. In story mode the adds always spawned at this position.

In HM this seems to be quiet randomly (all videos i have watched so far, the adds always spawns there in the first wave).

Is there some kind of mechanic we are missing to control the first add wave ? Any hints ? or ist this boss currently bugged ?

Thank you in advance

Adds will always spawn to the nearest side of where bulo is. It gets tricky to guess when he is in either of the near side positions between the two, but adds will never spawn on the opposite end.

But directly after the fight starts, bulo is always in center. so we can't "guess" where the first wave of adds will first spawn. As i told, it was sometimes on the right, sometimes behind the boss.

I initially had this same issue. The tank needs to be up the ramp (and more towards the centre than the side) by the time the adds spawn otherwise you run the risk of being closer to the right side doors and spawning the adds there rather than the back.

thanks for the reply. We have to check that out.

Edited by svkra

Adds will always spawn to the nearest side of where bulo is. It gets tricky to guess when he is in either of the near side positions between the two, but adds will never spawn on the opposite end.

Unfortunately, it isn't always next to Bulo. Almost always, yes. I've seen them spawn on completely the opposite side of the room (we even caught it on stream twice). It's very unclear exactly what triggers this, and it is rare enough that you can basically rely on the adds to be close and clean up with the rum in the event of bad things happening, but still.

Unfortunately, it isn't always next to Bulo. Almost always, yes. I've seen them spawn on completely the opposite side of the room (we even caught it on stream twice). It's very unclear exactly what triggers this, and it is rare enough that you can basically rely on the adds to be close and clean up with the rum in the event of bad things happening, but still.

Have you really? I have yet to see them spawn opposed to him. Did you save it with a highlight by chance? Not questioning if you seen it, but curious regardless.

Also two out of how many? If it's a lot, couldn't you put it up to a bug? (BIOWARE DOES NOT MAKE BUGGY GAMES!)

Edited by mastirkal

I've also seen it too; he was on the left, adds spawned on the right. Our group positioning is much tighter now and this hasn't happened since, but, as I alluded to in my earlier post, it's our groups belief that the add spawns are in some way tied to the positioning of players, not the boss himself.

• 2 weeks later...

After reviewing some video of 8 man HM Bulo that was made before the patch on the 16th of December, we noticed that things, at least for us, hit ALOT harder after the patch.

For example, before the 16th patch

barrel throw ~7k-12k

scatter blaster ~ 8k-12k

load lifters~8k-12k each

circles~10k-15k a tick.

After the 16th patch

barrel throw ~20k-30k

scatter blaster ~ 20k-30k

load lifters~20k-25k each

circles~20k-30k 1 tick

Also, we have noticed that adds are not spawning until after mass barrage is done and all circles from it have dissipated. We realize that there are 2 spawns of adds per 1 mass barrage, but we basically have to deal with 2 spawns of adds without a mass barrage to kill one spawn....and the adds hit harder than they did. We have even been able to predict where the adds will spawn based on where Bulo is.

If he is in the starting position or the short jump left or right of starting position, they will spawn up top. If he is far right, adds will spawn on the right door, and if he is far left they will spawn on one of the left doors. But again, they are not spawning till after mass barrage is over and gone so the only circle that may or may not still be there to kite them into is the one left by the purple circle, but that isn't always there either.

We also realize that this is a very mechanic heavy fight, and positioning is key. However, the bottom line is that there is just, what seems to be,way too much damage going out for our healers to keep everyone up. It honestly feels like the difficulty is set to 16 man hm even though it is only on 8 man hm....and yes, we are sure it is on 8 man hm.

IDK, food for thought. Anyone who is having trouble might wanna look into this as well. Compare some of your raid video to that of videos made before 12-16-2014 and see if you see the same difference in outgoing damage as we are.

ok i just did 50 pulls with my guild tonight on this boss.

1) Half our pulls, the purple circle at the start(volley) did NOT spawn on the tank who picked up the barrel and went to the stage to pick up the first set of adds. It spawned on a dps/healer who were all stacked on the boss for the first wave of adds - anyone else also experience this? This happened for half our pulls, the other half went fine even though we literally did the same thing every start.

2) Barrel throw did 25-30k damage. Many times one guy would just have eaten the load lifters, and then a barrel throw appears on them 1s after - and then they go splat. How would one prevent this? Some classes can cheese the load lifters fine(e.g. shadow dps resilience) but sentinels/mando dps just die.

3) Adds spawning everywhere(not next to bulo), adds not spawning at the RIGHT time(sometimes right after mass barrage has ended) means that this fight is very heavy on RNG, not sure if this was intentional or not.

4) Anyone know what the best setup for this fight is? Do we need more vanguards with their sonic rebounders to cheese the barrel throw?

ok i just did 50 pulls with my guild tonight on this boss.

1) Half our pulls, the purple circle at the start(volley) did NOT spawn on the tank who picked up the barrel and went to the stage to pick up the first set of adds. It spawned on a dps/healer who were all stacked on the boss for the first wave of adds - anyone else also experience this? This happened for half our pulls, the other half went fine even though we literally did the same thing every start.

2) Barrel throw did 25-30k damage. Many times one guy would just have eaten the load lifters, and then a barrel throw appears on them 1s after - and then they go splat. How would one prevent this? Some classes can cheese the load lifters fine(e.g. shadow dps resilience) but sentinels/mando dps just die.

3) Adds spawning everywhere(not next to bulo), adds not spawning at the RIGHT time(sometimes right after mass barrage has ended) means that this fight is very heavy on RNG, not sure if this was intentional or not.

4) Anyone know what the best setup for this fight is? Do we need more vanguards with their sonic rebounders to cheese the barrel throw?

1) We usually didn't have trouble getting the first volley where we wanted, its possible your tank wasn't far enough or people weren't stacked enough for the first one.

2) RNG, its dumb but it is what it is. The best you can do is have everyone be extremely cognizant of what's happening when. If a barrel throw came out recently, they can save their good load lifter cooldowns, if not, they should pop something just in case they get the double whammy.

3) Again, RNG. It seems as though the fight is INTENDED to have every other add wave be taken out by Mass Barrage, but this is not how it actually goes, they fall just out of sync to the point where either Barrage ends just before the adds spawn and you have to use another barrel to get them, or they spawn about 15 seconds before Barrage and you have to just tank them til Barrage hits.

4) The best setup in terms of just getting a clear is max survivability, so yeah, Sonic Rebounder reflect spam would be a nice way to do that (since they work on fire barrels). It seems DPS doesn't really matter on this fight, although the sooner you kill him, the less RNG you have to deal with, so there's that.

My guild cleared it last week. We've been busy this week so haven't attempted it yet, but I don't feel like we have a solid strat down yet, just that things went our way when we downed it. I really dislike this fight in terms of how RNGish/disorganized it feels, especially with all the mechanics constantly falling out of sync so you get things stacking on top of each other or not happening at times they should.

1)

4) The best setup in terms of just getting a clear is max survivability, so yeah, Sonic Rebounder reflect spam would be a nice way to do that (since they work on fire barrels). It seems DPS doesn't really matter on this fight, although the sooner you kill him, the less RNG you have to deal with, so there's that.

My guild cleared it last week. We've been busy this week so haven't attempted it yet, but I don't feel like we have a solid strat down yet, just that things went our way when we downed it. I really dislike this fight in terms of how RNGish/disorganized it feels, especially with all the mechanics constantly falling out of sync so you get things stacking on top of each other or not happening at times they should.

How does rebounder work on this mechanic specifically? Does it just mitigate the first tick or reflect the whole damn barrel back at the boss?

How does rebounder work on this mechanic specifically? Does it just mitigate the first tick or reflect the whole damn barrel back at the boss?

We were confused about this at first because it leaves a marker on the ground, but it turns out there's only 1 tick for the barrel, ever, and that first tick is completely unavoidable unless you happen to be moving as the barrel is thrown. The animation on the ground doesn't even mean anything other than "oh hey, here is where Fire Barrel hit a second ago".

So basically, if Fire Barrel was going to hit half the raid (4 people taking a 25-30k hit), Sonic Rebounder would reflect that hit, for all 4 of them, and Fire Barrel would do no damage. Also there is no reason for people to move when they see Fire Barrel land, as the damage is already done at that point.

Ok,so we start With a Rdps(sniper-->me) on the plateau behind bulo,i eat the first barrel because i take basicly nothing of dmg from it,it's disgusting.

Then i place the circle there while offtank takes a barrel and gets adds in the blue circle to clean up

We start with the rest of raidgroup and tanks stacked on bulo and we open hard because it's the only true time you have to dps on the f*cker.

That way i get focused for barrel + circle,so positioning is perfect that way + almost 0 dmg.

From there on tanks take care of adds with aoe taunts and mass barrage.

Dps cleans up leftovers with barrage if bulo switches sides.

BE SURE TO SPREAD OUT AND NOT STACK

Don't get in the way of tanks and use all the defensives + medpacks u have ;)

+ get more snipers in this fight,theyr'e op.

All of this you see in our killvideo.

Feel free to check it out and implement to your raids discretion :)

Clickerino

We killed it for the first time yesterday,so it's a very fresh one ;)

Good luck on your next tries peeps ;)

The barrel is supposed to be damage over time. 27k or so over the duration it is on the ground. It's supposed to be avoidable (get out of the fire). There is no way in hell there is supposed to be an unavoidable (by the vast majority of classes) instant hit attack that hits that hard. It's a bug. No doubt about it.

The barrel is supposed to be damage over time. 27k or so over the duration it is on the ground. It's supposed to be avoidable (get out of the fire). There is no way in hell there is supposed to be an unavoidable (by the vast majority of classes) instant hit attack that hits that hard. It's a bug. No doubt about it.

It's completely reasonable hit on HM.

Oh so it's fair that someone could get hit by back to back atttacks that insta-kill them and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it? Barrel+loadlifters. I don't buy that at all.

Pretty much.. seen Barrel and Volley shortly after on same person actually. RNG is RNG, but it does seem like the healers or ranged are the preferred targets.

Pretty much.. seen Barrel and Volley shortly after on same person actually. RNG is RNG, but it does seem like the healers or ranged are the preferred targets.

You shouldn't take Volley damage tbh. Lifters can be kited until you have the HP to take the hit

You shouldn't take Volley damage tbh. Lifters can be kited until you have the HP to take the hit

did that..my mando healer has 51k hp. After kiting, i saw i was fully topped off, i thought ok ill eat the lifters now - log says it did 16k + 16k dmg. Then as i ate it, a barrel was thrown on me for 27k dmg. All up 60k hp, instant death, RIP

did that..my mando healer has 51k hp. After kiting, i saw i was fully topped off, i thought ok ill eat the lifters now - log says it did 16k + 16k dmg. Then as i ate it, a barrel was thrown on me for 27k dmg. All up 60k hp, instant death, RIP

Little RNG perks of the fights. I think these are acceptable because they do not occur that often. :D