3.0 Mercenary/DPS guide by Fascinate & Marisi

Iwipe

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly better parse for analysis

Lower APM due to lag, which also caused me to inadvertently clip IM once and SS 3 times. Heat capped for about a second with each Vent Heat use and finished on too high heat, so I know I could've done better. Replacing my damage values with Fascinate's I ended up with ~5320 DPS over the ~248s (some guesswork was involved in extrapolating Fusion Missile's damage, but it was a fairly conservative estimate). If I add in the damage from the 4 lost DoT pulses, I get ~5350.

Again please do point out any potential errors on my end, it's rather late in my time zone. Rotation used is the same as in my previous post, except for adding Fusion Missile to the opener.

Lower APM due to lag, which also caused me to inadvertently clip IM once and SS 3 times. Heat capped for about a second with each Vent Heat use and finished on too high heat, so I know I could've done better. Replacing my damage values with Fascinate's I ended up with ~5320 DPS over the ~248s (some guesswork was involved in extrapolating Fusion Missile's damage, but it was a fairly conservative estimate). If I add in the damage from the 4 lost DoT pulses, I get ~5350.

Again please do point out any potential errors on my end, it's rather late in my time zone. Rotation used is the same as in my previous post, except for adding Fusion Missile to the opener.

Were you using your crit %s or Fascinate's? If you were using his, how did you work out the specific MH and OH %s?

I see your problem!

You used the "Recharge for supercharge stacks" utility! Bad Shulk!

(BTW you can just use med shot for supercharge stacks - great for downtime during fights and stuff)

who wouldn't for a dummy parse.. when you use med shot u have to wait around for the 20 sec CD of your relic procs so they land on your opener properly...

I did an analysis of my own using his and your parses; his average damage per hit/crit and crits with your distribution and I got ~1284000 damage over 248 seconds for 5177.

Also I always take the recharge for stacks utility when parsing simply because I'd much rather press 1 button than 10.

Hmm, the total damage number I ended up with was higher, about 1.3 million... clearly we're doing something differently.

So, the way I did it was to go by total damage dealt and divide by number of activations (or in the case of DoTs, total number of ticks). For instance, in Fascinate's parse he activates Unload 13 times and deals 169187 damage = 13014 damage per activation. Using this method, I ended up with these damage per activation values:

Mag Shot - 9043
Unload - 13014
Incendiary Missile: Burning - 1709
Serrated Shot: Bleeding - 1646
Combustible Gas Cylinder - 965
Power Shot - 3193
Thermal Detonator - 7311
Supercharged Burn - 2169
Electro Net - 1217
Missile Blast - 6742
Incendiary Missile - 1661
Serrated Shot - 1436
Rapid Shots - 2289

Then I applied these averages to the number of activations in my parse for their totals:

Mag Shot - 9043 * 33 = 298419
Unload - 13014 * 17 = 221238
Incendiary Missile: Burning - 1709 * 79 = 135011
Serrated Shot: Bleeding - 1646 * 77 = 126742
Combustible Gas Cylinder - 965 * 121 = 116765
Power Shot - 3193 * 29 = 92597
Thermal Detonator - 7311 * 16 = 116976
Supercharged Burn - 2169 * 25 = 54225
Electro Net - 1217 * 30 = 36510
Missile Blast - 6742 * 5 = 33710
Incendiary Missile - 1661 * 16 = 26576
Serrated Shot - 1436 * 16 = 22976
Rapid Shots - 2289 * 13 = 29757

Grand total: 1311502, add in the Fusion Missile I used (5170 damage in my parse, not sure what it would've been for you guys) and we get 1316672. Divide by 247.7s for ~5315 DPS.

Before you say it, I realise my Mag Shot value may not be entirely accurate because there's an uneven number of hits logged in Fascinate's parse (I'm assuming the last Mag Shot killed the dummy so the off-hand hit never happened). However even if the "missing" hit was 0 damage, it would only affect the average by ~173. This would translate into a total damage loss of ~5700 in my parse, but I think it should be a fair estimate considering I lost 4 DoT pulses to lag and didn't scale my Fusion Missile numbers due to lack of data.

Again please do point out any errors on my end, I did all this late at night. :o

Hmm, the total damage number I ended up with was higher, about 1.3 million... clearly we're doing something differently.

So, the way I did it was to go by total damage dealt and divide by number of activations (or in the case of DoTs, total number of ticks). For instance, in Fascinate's parse he activates Unload 13 times and deals 169187 damage = 13014 damage per activation. Using this method, I ended up with these damage per activation values:

Mag Shot - 9043
Unload - 13014
Incendiary Missile: Burning - 1709
Serrated Shot: Bleeding - 1646
Combustible Gas Cylinder - 965
Power Shot - 3193
Thermal Detonator - 7311
Supercharged Burn - 2169
Electro Net - 1217
Missile Blast - 6742
Incendiary Missile - 1661
Serrated Shot - 1436
Rapid Shots - 2289

Then I applied these averages to the number of activations in my parse for their totals:

Mag Shot - 9043 * 33 = 298419
Unload - 13014 * 17 = 221238
Incendiary Missile: Burning - 1709 * 79 = 135011
Serrated Shot: Bleeding - 1646 * 77 = 126742
Combustible Gas Cylinder - 965 * 121 = 116765
Power Shot - 3193 * 29 = 92597
Thermal Detonator - 7311 * 16 = 116976
Supercharged Burn - 2169 * 25 = 54225
Electro Net - 1217 * 30 = 36510
Missile Blast - 6742 * 5 = 33710
Incendiary Missile - 1661 * 16 = 26576
Serrated Shot - 1436 * 16 = 22976
Rapid Shots - 2289 * 13 = 29757

Grand total: 1311502, add in the Fusion Missile I used (5170 damage in my parse, not sure what it would've been for you guys) and we get 1316672. Divide by 247.7s for ~5315 DPS.

Before you say it, I realise my Mag Shot value may not be entirely accurate because there's an uneven number of hits logged in Fascinate's parse (I'm assuming the last Mag Shot killed the dummy so the off-hand hit never happened). However even if the "missing" hit was 0 damage, it would only affect the average by ~173. This would translate into a total damage loss of ~5700 in my parse, but I think it should be a fair estimate considering I lost 4 DoT pulses to lag and didn't scale my Fusion Missile numbers due to lack of data.

Again please do point out any errors on my end, I did all this late at night. :o

I did it pretty differently to you. Taking Unload as an example, since I have access to his log:

Tick    Avg. Hit     Avg. Crit     Crit %        Damage
1        2125.71     4146.5        46.15        39759	 
2	  113             334.17        46.15        2344	 
3	  1894.5       4283.14      53.85        41349	 
4	  146.17       341.5           30.77        2243	 
5	  2065.33    4275.57       53.85        42321	 
6	  142.4         368.6           38.46        2555	 
7	  1963          4267.4         38.46        37041	 
8	  145.67       284.5           30.77        1575

To keep the %s the same for both parses given different distributions they were obviously no longer whole numbers, so using the same for yours gives 7.85 (to 2dp) crits, and therefore 9.15 non crits. EDIT: Just to clarify, this is for the first tick. Obviously the numbers were different for the rest.

Applying this to all 8 ticks for Unload gives a total of 217,181 damage for Unload which is 4,057 less damage.

Edited by Kinslayer

First, please call me Greeto.

Glad to see you had good results with my rotation (paired with the Zorz opener). I definitely enjoy the play style of it more, last night for fun I did a parse where I was moving 100% of the time and came out with 4.1k. It's definitely liberating to go from a turret class to potentially the most mobile ranged class in the game. Granted there are few to no situations where this is needed (would have LOVED to have this for DP Raptus kiting... /drool) but being able to move out of circles at any time is quite nice. I'm sure I'll find more uses for the mobility in the future.

I'm enjoying your rotation as well, Greeto. I do a little less DPS than the full Zorz one but it's nice to be able to take off running at any time and not lose much damage. This would be nice for kiting in PvP as well. I tried to do your 100% run parse today but the damage got hurt with no Serrated Shot (except once a minute with the instant ability). Did you just Hammer Shot for the 2 Charged Bolt fillers and the Serrated Shot GCD or did you use another instant like Sticky Bomb?

Edited by ViolentNoise

I did it pretty differently to you. Taking Unload as an example, since I have access to his log:

Tick    Avg. Hit     Avg. Crit     Crit %        Damage
1        2125.71     4146.5        46.15        39759	 
2	  113             334.17        46.15        2344	 
3	  1894.5       4283.14      53.85        41349	 
4	  146.17       341.5           30.77        2243	 
5	  2065.33    4275.57       53.85        42321	 
6	  142.4         368.6           38.46        2555	 
7	  1963          4267.4         38.46        37041	 
8	  145.67       284.5           30.77        1575

To keep the %s the same for both parses given different distributions they were obviously no longer whole numbers, so using the same for yours gives 7.85 (to 2dp) crits, and therefore 9.15 non crits. EDIT: Just to clarify, this is for the first tick. Obviously the numbers were different for the rest.

Applying this to all 8 ticks for Unload gives a total of 217,181 damage for Unload which is 4,057 less damage.

Why are we getting different numbers though? How are you accounting for the different weapons used by mercs and mandos? Isn't average damage/hit a more accurate metric, especially when comparing between mirror classes?

Hey there,

thanks for your Guide's (I include the Guide from Gyronamics). But I've a question. I play both Rota's, but I cann't reach an APM of 38+. I play on T3M4 have often lags, but how can I increase my APM? I play with an 1s-Ability-List and use Bindings. But in the best case I have an APM about 37,x.

Thanks

The double relic proc is back so the med shots dont interfere with your normal attacks.

Update on this, turns out its not a double relic proc thats getting me >30% uptime on my proc relics. Its alacrity.

Alacrity affects the cooldown on relics.

I quit playing my level 54 Commando DPS because it lost it's self-healing abilities that made it tough in a long fight. Now I go back and fight difficult bosses I beat in 2.*** four levels ago and can no longer beat them. My Commando is either powering through stuff or blown to bits in 10 seconds or less. There is no in between or tough battle that you eventually win.

I created a heal rotation where you get off the maximum number of heals in the shortest span to try to fix this, but too weak for any tough/elite boss battle. I play SWtoR for the PvE gaming, PvP is not so important or interesting to me.

Anyway, BW's 3.0 changes forced me to start a new character because the Commando changes in 3.0 were not oriented to PvE's higher challenges.

Subscriber/player since the Closed Beta, but if you have any suggestions to make the heals work for the DPS Commando to tank elite bosses, go right ahead.

I dont quite agree with the Arsenal Opener... Opener should be

SCG > PS > Instant Tracer > Power Surge (requires Power Overrides) + Adrenal > 2x Tracer > BB > Explosive Dart > RS > HSM > Tracer > BB > Tracer > PS > Tracer > BB > ED > RS >HSM.

And yes, Arsenal is most CERTAINLY a block rotation...

I dont quite agree with the Arsenal Opener... Opener should be

SCG > PS > Instant Tracer > Power Surge (requires Power Overrides) + Adrenal > 2x Tracer > BB > Explosive Dart > RS > HSM > Tracer > BB > Tracer > PS > Tracer > BB > ED > RS >HSM.

And yes, Arsenal is most CERTAINLY a block rotation...

Opening with Priming Shot has merit if you have other ranged DPS that would benefit from having it up early, sure. But the rest... why use Explosive Dart and why delay key abilities like Heatseeker Missiles and Rail Shot? Why waste Power Surge like that where there are legitimate uses for it later on? There's no Electro Net mentioned either which, barring auto-crit HSM with the set bonus, is the hardest hitting ability Mercs have access to. Makes no sense.

Opening with Priming Shot has merit if you have other ranged DPS that would benefit from having it up early, sure. But the rest... why use Explosive Dart and why delay key abilities like Heatseeker Missiles and Rail Shot? Why waste Power Surge like that where there are legitimate uses for it later on? There's no Electro Net mentioned either which, barring auto-crit HSM with the set bonus, is the hardest hitting ability Mercs have access to. Makes no sense.

I legitimately forgot about Electro Net. As for Explosive Dart, it can crit for 3k - 4k and would detonate during the HSM leading to 12k+ Crit, backed up with a 3k+ Crit, leading to more burst. Power Surge is again for more burst in the opener.

Power Surge doesn't increase burst damage in the opener, all it does is frontload the damage of two Tracer Missiles - the spec's weakest ability.

Explosive Dart can create higher damage spikes within a very narrow time frame, but this only has a use in PvE on targets with temporary immunities. Rarely if ever suitable for an opener. It's fine against scrubs in PvP but dubious against anyone with a clue as the dart is clearly telegraphed and will prompt your target to LoS you, CC you or use defensive cooldowns.

Even ignoring the above two points, your opener delays Heatseeker Missiles and Rail Shot in favour of Blazing Bolts. Blazing Bolts isn't limited by its natural cooldown, so it's a low priority ability until there's 4.5s left on Barrage's lockout.

Edited by Gondolindhrim

Power Surge doesn't increase burst damage in the opener, all it does is frontload the damage of two Tracer Missiles - the spec's weakest ability.

Explosive Dart can create higher damage spikes within a very narrow time frame, but this only has a use in PvE on targets with temporary immunities. Rarely if ever suitable for an opener. It's fine against scrubs in PvP but dubious against anyone with a clue as the dart is clearly telegraphed and will prompt your target to LoS you, CC you or use defensive cooldowns.

Even ignoring the above two points, your opener delays Heatseeker Missiles and Rail Shot in favour of Blazing Bolts. Blazing Bolts isn't limited by its natural cooldown, so it's a low priority ability until there's 4.5s left on Barrage's lockout.

Ah, but Blazing Bolts does more damage than Rail Shot, and you have to at some points because the CD of Rail Shot isnt down before it needs to be, so I fill it with Blazing Bolts. When my merc gets to 60, and i get at minimum 186 gear, i'll test my theory against your little theory and see who wins.

Ah, but Blazing Bolts does more damage than Rail Shot, and you have to at some points because the CD of Rail Shot isnt down before it needs to be, so I fill it with Blazing Bolts.

You posted an "opener" by your own words. By definition, Rail Shot cannot be on cooldown in an opener.

When my merc gets to 60, and i get at minimum 186 gear, i'll test my theory against your little theory and see who wins.

Awfully hostile when all I've done is stated facts. But sure, go right ahead.

I still don't understand why BB is highest priority in this guide for arsenal. If i remeber correctly, it's 8 seconds ICD. 3 seconds to fully channel (less under pressure) + 1,5 second to proc (can be ignored with timely PS). This gives you 3,5-5 seconds to completely ignore BB for the sake of HSM or RS and still don't overlap cooldown.

Also the question of not using PS as first move still stands. Can some1 explain?

Edited by Frenesi