The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

just delete repub side and make this game imp only

Mrdann

No. People will just complain that they are tired of Hutt Ball. It's not going to make them go on a side they don't care about, play through story/quests they don't care about, etc. You don't understand gamers/people. Try to annoy gamers into playing something they don't want to play? They'll be more likely to just quit. I have friends irl who play Imperial Side and refuse to play Republic Side.

If the company tried to incentive republic side via making imperial side more frustrating to play they'd up and quit.

I understand gamers and people very well thank you,carrot stick works wonders,or penalties as well it is called incentive,hell there is many incentives to play both as it is anyhow.

Edited by Sathid

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand gamers and people very well thank you,carrot stick works wonders,or penalties as well it is called incentive,hell there is many incentives to play both as it is anyhow.

Penalties does not work. This proves you don't know people. Games have tried to do things like that in the past. It doesn't work out in the games favor. You can't frustrate your customers into playing the other side. That will not work. "Carrot on a stick" may work to some degree but if people find the other side is boring? Won't work. Let's look at WoW.

In WoW the horde was suffering from lack of players in the past. This is because most people find Orcs, Trolls, and Undead to be ugly/unappealing. Most people preferred to play the alliance because the races were "prettier." Blizzard decided to create a solution. They did by creating a race known as Blood Elves. Once they introduced blood elves people began to play the Horde in droves.

Solution? Make the less popular side more like the popular side. Here's the problem, that would make it feel less like star wars. Your line of thinking is what caused some companies to go "Huh. To get more people doing instances we should make it so for pvpers to truly be effective they need to raid as well as pvp." guess what? The pvpers left.

Edited by Rhyltran

Penalties does not work. This proves you don't know people. Games have tried to do things like that in the past. It doesn't work out in the games favor. You can't frustrate your customers into playing the other side. That will not work. "Carrot on a stick" may work to some degree but if people find the other side is boring? Won't work. Let's look at WoW.

In WoW the horde was suffering from lack of players in the past. This is because most people find Orcs, Trolls, and Undead to be ugly/unappealing. Most people preferred to play the alliance because the races were "prettier." Blizzard decided to create a solution. They did by creating a race known as Blood Elves. Once they introduced blood elves people began to play the Horde in droves.

Solution? Make the less popular side more like the popular side. Here's the problem, that would make it feel less like star wars. Your line of thinking is what caused some companies to go "Huh. To get more people doing instances we should make it so for pvpers to truly be effective they need to raid as well as pvp." guess what? The pvpers left.

90% of Star Wars revolves around the Jedi not the Sith or Imperials,there is no movie with the Imperials etc the main characters so your statement there is false,sure you may add Anakin in some form but that is small he turned and then turned again,but everything revolved around Han,Luke,etc.

90% of Star Wars revolves around the Jedi not the Sith or Imperials,there is no movie with the Imperials etc the main characters so your statement there is false,sure you may add Anakin in some form but that is small he turned and then turned again,but everything revolved around Han,Luke,etc.

That doesn't matter. That's not how fanbase works. Are you ignoring how popular Darth Vader was and still is? He's one of the most iconic villains of all time. Do you forget how popular Boba Fett is? He's been listed as one of the most popular movie characters OF ALL TIME and here's the kicker. He barely had any dialogue and didn't even do anything.

Darth Maul was so popular that people jumped to message boards, despite not liking most of the movie, to talk about how awesome he was. He was so popular that despite not even saying a single line of dialogue he had his own comics, his own novel, and was brought back for the clone wars t.v. series.

Here's what video games have shown. People like watching a movie about heroes. People like playing the villains.

Edited by Rhyltran

Win or lose in PvP, I will always play Republic. Even if I weren't a committed Pub girl the moment I stepped on Balmorra, all of my favorite class stories and companions are pub side. The only exception is Ashara, but she is a Jedi wannable anyway. Edited by DomiSotto

Which means that a lot of the screen time for the protagonists can be devoted to slow character development. When the imperial characters do appear, they often seem powerful and even overpowering. They have the majority of cool toys in the movies: big starships, walkers of various types, even the Death Star. They have more unique and individual looks, while many of the Jedi seem to be made with the same template.

Now guess which is more immediately attractive to players with short attention spans?

Create a Emp character on TRE and prepare for nightmare.

LOL, guess that shows how relative everything is and how perspective influences opinion.

Been playing TRE ever since launch and overall my impression is that when it comes to in-game attitude they might as well swap names on the factions. Coz I've seen more hate/lack of tolerance/utter b.s. on pub side than on imp side.

Granted, the recent 12x turned over a lot of rocks that had better been left unturned but in general the atmosphere on imp side is at least from my perspective, a lot friendlier.

Edited by LeJarC

Do you mean only in PVP or in the game overall?

Because I would speculate on a few things.....

Hardcore players (those that participate in end game and PVP) are a likely minority portion of the playerbase.

PVP players are likely an even smaller portion of that group, certainly likely smaller than hardcore raiders.

Removing an entire side of the game to pander to a tiny portion of the playerbase would not likely be a wise move.

That said, there are not real options for PVP players to progress outside of ranked/unranked VS content. OWPVP unfortunately offers very little for PVP players, even less within the same faction.

I think there is some room for improvement in OWPVP, especially same faction dueling.

Having ranked OWPVP would be one way to improve this, as would ranked Guild warfare (the ability to declare war on another guild).

The Empire vs Republic nonsense, all of it, comes down almost entirely to which server you're on, what content you're running, etc -- and yet people seem to develop serious tunnel vision when it comes to this subject and believe that their little corner of SWToR defines the whole of it.

Imbalance in population isn't bioware's fault. That's a player fault. Most people want to be "Dark Side." look at the characters people talk the most about from the movies and go nuts about. Dooku, Maul, Darth Vader. There's far more images and cosplay of Vader than there are Luke Skywalker. Even aside from SWTOR people remember the Sith more than they do the Jedi.

It would have helped if Luke hadn't spent most of his screen time in his bathrobe and/or pajamas.

the imps are unbeatable on my server and always roll over us and win in pvp, and repubs just can't compete anymore.

so since bio-ware has a well known imperial bias i see NO reason why the republic should even be a side anymore just get rid of it and maybe save some money

So you're saying that because one side has players that are better at PvP (since, you know, the classes are mirrored) they should just delete the side that has the worst players?

How would that help?

Then all those players would be forced to play imps and it would be imps vs imps and you'd still lose, because you suck (apparantly)

the imps are unbeatable on my server and always roll over us and win in pvp, and repubs just can't compete anymore.

so since bio-ware has a well known imperial bias i see NO reason why the republic should even be a side anymore just get rid of it and maybe save some money

My translator reads this as "The side I play on loses all the time no matter what!" to which my brain answers "Well, maybe the problem isn't really 'imps vs. pubs,' now is it?"

The pubs on Jedi Covenant are freaking awful as well. Every time I go over there to queue for a Kuat or something on one of my lowbies to level up and get a change of scenery it's like the worst table at a wedding.

As soon as I level I usually leave the flashpoint.

Awful, awful. Some sides are just dominant on a server, like any game, Planetside 2, etc.

It's not the classes, it's the players.

If PvP is what matters to you and you think that the other side is better then switch to the other side.

If the class and story are what matters to you and you just do some PvP along the way, then deal with it or stop PvPing.

I am firmly in that second group. My priority is on the characters, not PvP, so whether I am winning or losing PvP isn't going to affect my decision to play the characters that I choose to play.

If a particular class is too frustrating for me to play in PvP then I would just stop PvPing before I stopped playing that class.

On the reps I don't like both pvp and pve between 10-50. They have larger number of children playing on their side. Republic is the good guys and that's what draw children in. Everyone wants to be Obi-Wan or Ahsoka...

...they call my trooper "a clone", so I wouldn't expect them to be good in this game either :p

Edited by PavSalco

My translator reads this as "The side I play on loses all the time no matter what!" to which my brain answers "Well, maybe the problem isn't really 'imps vs. pubs,' now is it?"

You might want to check your batteries. Mine says Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog ..maybe I should check my batteries.

On the reps I don't like both pvp and pve between 10-50. They have larger number of children playing on their side. Republic is the good guys and that's what draw children in. Everyone wants to be Obi-Wan or Ahsoka...

...they call my trooper "a clone", so I wouldn't expect them to be good in this game either :p

Wow I thought it was the opposite. Everyone of the kids wanted to be Darth Maul

If nothing else, MMOs have shown just how illiterate/stupid/insert whatever thing that makes you despair for humanity you can come up with here. Every single game I've ever played has had their general chat be a cesspool, and the behavior of at least half of those you encounter just turns into a daisy chain of facepalms. Edited by XiamaraSimi

If nothing else, MMOs have shown just how illiterate/stupid/insert whatever thing that makes you despair for humanity you can come up with here. Every single game I've ever played has had their general chat be a cesspool, and the behavior of at least half of those you encounter just turns into a daisy chain of facepalms.

It's like being back in high school...