Why I cancelled my subscription

Kapono

Having the 12XP isn't about levelling faster.

It's about being able to ONLY do the content YOU want to do (i.e. the class story).

If the class stories scaled to level, I'd be perfectly happy with having no bonus XP at all.

I don't want the planetary quests, the side quests, the kill-30-now-kill-50-more bonus quests. It's Martha's Cat syndrome. If I'm off saving the world, I don't have time to save Martha's Cat, too. Or at least, I shouldn't.

I want class story quests. That's what I enjoy the most and that's what I play TOR for.

But without the 12x XP I'm forced to do all of those side things and it just becomes a drag.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly if your cancelling because the 12X isnt there anymore then apparently your not willing to focus on what is the game itself,

Your definition of "What is the game itself", not mine.

Please don't try and tell me why I play TOR or why I should play TOR. I play TOR for the class stories. I have thirteen characters, and would have plans for more, if I didn't have to keep repeating planetary quests just to see the class stories.

What's the point of leveling if you're not going to play the game?

The player likes the class stories and not the grind? Even with 12x that would be a lot of play time between all the classes. I don't get it either but I know a lot of players who pay to play an MMO solo. /shrug.

I do think something will give on the exp thing. Blizzard, Trion, SOE, most games that have had level cap rises over the last couple years have put something in the game to allow at least getting to the old level cap. These games do it instantly, which would be, imo, incompatible with SWTOR due to the nature of the Class story and the impact it has on progression. So Yx's exp seems a logical inevitability even if it is a "buy one time consumable from cash shop" kinda thing.

I had 12x for a month and I only leveled three alts. Some peoples time is more limited than others it would seem. Just because you can do it doesn't mean we all can.

sitting in the office waiting on a reload to go back to work (8 hours off duty back at another 10 hours of work this is MY schedule .. 10 on 8 off 10 on till the work is done) ..

Yet I don't have an issue with the leveling..

I don't have time for playing at all when I am working as I am lucky to get enough sleep an YET I have no issue with the leveling in this game..

Though I don't want to see people leave because of the "slow" (still laugh at this) leveling in swtor I have to ask HOW long would you last once you get to max level.. when this game came out people were whining in 3 weeks not enough content because they had leveled too fast in effect and this was without 12x xp..

it is past time people figured out that max level is nothing different that leveling except you don't have any actual "growth" in a character beyond reequipping with better gear..

I also noticed you failed to comment about MY 80 hour work weeks after you cried about YOUR 40 hour work weeks.. (this is too the OP)..

there are a lot of MMOs i have played and bottom line since WoW vast majority fail with a fast leveling performance set up as player quickly get bored .. grinding solo is also boring of course SO maybe you need to slow down and group for fun..

EQ HAD one of the slowest leveling when I used to play it AND yet it was way more fun .. on my day or 2 off cycle I would be grinding kills in groups and WE would be talking about everything and anything keeping it interesting..

Speed grinding to max gear or level ISN'T an MMO but a FPS style game ... if it is game time that makes a casual player then I am a super casual player as I just don't have the real time hours to mess around and yet I would like leveling spaced out more so as not to get to the max level hum drums too fast..

the 12x xp was a bonus and to get people through a few levels fast BUT yet again a failure like their big XP war zones and flash points were at the beginning as you get people just spamming them to get to max level then crying "not enough to do" ..

when my generation finally retires I pity NA and this group who think 40 hours a week and 45 min drive is a long week I can tell you:rolleyes:

sitting in the office waiting on a reload to go back to work (8 hours off duty back at another 10 hours of work this is MY schedule .. 10 on 8 off 10 on till the work is done) ..

Yet I don't have an issue with the leveling..

I don't have time for playing at all when I am working as I am lucky to get enough sleep an YET I have no issue with the leveling in this game..

Though I don't want to see people leave because of the "slow" (still laugh at this) leveling in swtor I have to ask HOW long would you last once you get to max level.. when this game came out people were whining in 3 weeks not enough content because they had leveled too fast in effect and this was without 12x xp..

it is past time people figured out that max level is nothing different that leveling except you don't have any actual "growth" in a character beyond reequipping with better gear..

I also noticed you failed to comment about MY 80 hour work weeks after you cried about YOUR 40 hour work weeks.. (this is too the OP)..

there are a lot of MMOs i have played and bottom line since WoW vast majority fail with a fast leveling performance set up as player quickly get bored .. grinding solo is also boring of course SO maybe you need to slow down and group for fun..

EQ HAD one of the slowest leveling when I used to play it AND yet it was way more fun .. on my day or 2 off cycle I would be grinding kills in groups and WE would be talking about everything and anything keeping it interesting..

Speed grinding to max gear or level ISN'T an MMO but a FPS style game ... if it is game time that makes a casual player then I am a super casual player as I just don't have the real time hours to mess around and yet I would like leveling spaced out more so as not to get to the max level hum drums too fast..

the 12x xp was a bonus and to get people through a few levels fast BUT yet again a failure like their big XP war zones and flash points were at the beginning as you get people just spamming them to get to max level then crying "not enough to do" ..

when my generation finally retires I pity NA and this group who think 40 hours a week and 45 min drive is a long week I can tell you:rolleyes:

Did I ask if you had an issue with leveling? Or what your schedule was? All I said is not lal of us can level 12 55s in a month of 12x xp. I really have no idea how someone could pull this off with a full time job and family. I'm not saying anything bad about those who can but I played every free minute of my day and barely pulled three through and that was sacrificing sleep! Lol. And once again 12x isn't about leveling faster for us. Its about the game just being more enjoyable. I've already posted a massive explanation of this. Your points are off base and moot because they don't apply to me.

Did I ask if you had an issue with leveling? Or what your schedule was? All I said is not lal of us can level 12 55s in a month of 12x xp. I really have no idea how someone could pull this off with a full time job and family. I'm not saying anything bad about those who can but I played every free minute of my day and barely pulled three through and that was sacrificing sleep! Lol. And once again 12x isn't about leveling faster for us. Its about the game just being more enjoyable. I've already posted a massive explanation of this. Your points are off base and moot because they don't apply to me.

I didn't even get through 1 toon with the 12xp deal. And more to your point, I had the ability but just didn't care about the time it took. It really is about finding that niche where the game is fun for people. I think people tend to over value time spent when they compare it to how much they're enjoying it. If a player refuses to branch out and meet people, they're just never going to enjoy things as much as they could in my opinion. If they were to join a guild that's around the same part of the leveling scale they'd probably not even realize how little they cared about the time spent.

It seems those of you who think those supporting 12x XP are going to tear through all of the content, get bored and quit, are missing one thing. Those wanting the 12x XP boost don't tend to be content locusts. They are not the ones who play 40-60 hours a week and finish all new content in a matter of days.

They are people like me, who probably wont get around to getting his first 55 to 60 for a couple of months. Who didn't have his first 55 for almost 4 months after launch. Who loves playing but tends not to enjoy the more grindy parts (like boring, repetitive side quests) burns out and switches to other games every few months because they are tired of all the blatant time sinks.

But, by the time he left City of Heroes/Villains had 14 level capped characters, had 16 level capped characters in WoW when WoD released (a lot of healers/tanks leveled in instances), but still hasn't gotten around to going back to level, because I am having fun with this game right now. But as soon as I get my current 55s to 60, and have to face the grind again, I'm outta here.

I had just left TOR a month before 12x XP started due to burnout. Once it was here, I came back, had a blast, and am still here. I'll get a couple/few of 55s to 60... one or two on each faction.. and then quit. Or, if, because of the return of 12x XP I can look at my remaining 15-40 characters, go have fun leveling them without all of the boring, repetitive side quests, to 55. Maybe after a few of those, I will be ready to go back to leveling 55s to 60s again.

I am being very candid when I say, without the return of 12x XP, I may stay as long as 2-3 months (long nough to level a few 55s to 60) before I leave. With it, after that 2-3 months, I will return to leveling lowbies (since the boring part of the leveling experienced has been relieved) in this game, instead of leveling my Shaman in WoW.

"But, Tyrloch, isn't leveling in WoW just as irritating?"

Yep, that's what brought me to this game in the first place. And when I tired of this game a few months after launch, took me to Tera, then back to WoW as I burned out on them.

an example..

I brought up how many level capped characters I have/had in other games to show, I will endlessly level characters if I am having fun. I have 3 level 90 Resto Shaman in WoW., 2 Resto Druids, 2 Holy Priests, 1 Mistweaver Monk, 1 Holy Pally, 2 Prot Pallys, 2 Blood DKs and 2 Prot Warriors in WoW... I also Have 2 90 Hunters (1 is PvP) and an 90 Warlock.

But, when Pandas dropped I leveled an Elem Shaman (took 3 months), and promptly quit WoW, not intending to ever return. Came here, played 3 months, burned out, quit playing MMOs altogether. another 4 months. a friend turns me onto re-subbing WoW and healing 5 mans. 7 healers to 90 in 4 months... all of the above by last May. I almost quit permanently again when trying to level that Warlock. I hated solo leveling in Pandaria. My enjoyment of instances kept me playing WoW for an extra year.

I will not return to WoW, and Blizz loses my sub until this game chases me off by burnout. It's up to Bioware when i return to see if I like healing instances in WoD...

But, know, just as I am done solo leveling characters in WoW, I am done with most side quests in this game. (I don't mind doing a few, but, yea, a few...).

Edited by Tyrloch

I didn't see a spot to give a reason why I canceled my subscription, so I'm writing it here; not sure where else to put it (if a moderator would move it to the appropriate place, I'd appreciate it).

I had a wonderful time over the last couple months with the 12x experience bonus - I leveled up several characters and had a great time doing it. I don't really find the endgame all that interesting, but if the 12x experience bonus is ever reinstated - and we get more character slots - I'll resubscribe in a heartbeat. I'd also come back if we can have cross-server mailing/legacy - I'm not really tied to my current server other than that all my characters are on it.

Anyway, I do enjoy the game for the parts I play, but until the 12x thing comes back and we get more character slots, I'm going to take a hiatus. The game is still good fun for me, but I'm kinda deadlocked until those things happen.

Kapono

With all the problems with this expansion, you biggest complaint is no 12x. Wow.

I didn't even get through 1 toon with the 12xp deal. And more to your point, I had the ability but just didn't care about the time it took. It really is about finding that niche where the game is fun for people. I think people tend to over value time spent when they compare it to how much they're enjoying it. If a player refuses to branch out and meet people, they're just never going to enjoy things as much as they could in my opinion. If they were to join a guild that's around the same part of the leveling scale they'd probably not even realize how little they cared about the time spent.

A lot of people enjoyed way more during the 12x event because for the first time in ages we could play new content completely devoid of grind and repetitiveness. It has little to do with leveling quickly. 12x just so happens to give a large base exactly what they want when they play this game. Star wars with bioware storytelling.

It seems those of you who think those supporting 12x XP are going to tear through all of the content, get bored and quit, are missing one thing. Those wanting the 12x XP boost don't tend to be content locusts. They are not the ones who play 40-60 hours a week and finish all new content in a matter of days.

They are people like me, who probably wont get around to getting his first 55 to 60 for a couple of months. Who didn't have his first 55 for almost 4 months after launch. Who loves playing but tends not to enjoy the more grindy parts (like boring, repetitive side quests) burns out and switches to other games every few months because they are tired of all the blatant time sinks.

But, by the time he left City of Heroes/Villains had 14 level capped characters, had 16 level capped characters in WoW when WoD released (a lot of healers/tanks leveled in instances), but still hasn't gotten around to going back to level, because I am having fun with this game right now. But as soon as I get my current 55s to 60, and have to face the grind again, I'm outta here.

I had just left TOR a month before 12x XP started due to burnout. Once it was here, I came back, had a blast, and am still here. I'll get a couple/few of 55s to 60... one or two on each faction.. and then quit. Or, if, because of the return of 12x XP I can look at my remaining 15-40 characters, go have fun leveling them without all of the boring, repetitive side quests, to 55. Maybe after a few of those, I will be ready to go back to leveling 55s to 60s again.

I am being very candid when I say, without the return of 12x XP, I may stay as long as 2-3 months before I leave. With it, after that 2-3 months, I will return to leveling lowbies in this game, instead of leveling my Shaman in WoW.

To your first point. Yep some will. However that same person would likely have no played and thus not PAID at all and that is what this game is about to EA/Bioware, getting paid. Secondly like I said, there are those people who just play MMOs for the stories. Now yeah a lot of MMOs have gotten away from stories. The EQ2s of the world where all the way up through Sentinel's Fate was at least outlined (basically 6 years) are largely gone, but if the story in a large persistent world is your thing, SWTOR is it.

If it is the class story that is your thing, having to do "random guy 5 asks you to go collect the cargo he dumped to dodge an inspection" to not under level, 12x will keep you playing. These people also usually have Altitis. I usually, at most, have 2 toons I focus on so this doesn't apply to me but it does apply to others.

I guess the question we all have to ask is this. "If I am about end game and Bob is about just seeing the class story, how does Bob being able to just do the class story and level adequately effect me?" In terms of my enjoyment it has no effect. In terms of Bioware's bottom line (and thus the money they can pour into the game) it could be good...players who otherwise would not be here come here. It could be bad...people like you leave. I think that is an unknown quantity, a risk.

So how do you balance that risk? You make it something you buy. A one time consumable. Price it to the combination of sub + authenticator credit subsidy so subscribers don't scream "P2W!!!!" They are getting it for their "free" credits. Then if you chose not to avail yourself of it, you don't have to.

To the OP news flash, you dont need a reason to unsub. No one needs. I like the game very much, been playing it since launch, on and off, it has been a year since i didnt played it for example until very recently.

You dont need to be always a sub player, you are not entitled to any of those things you claim to want in order to sub, and i doubt very much Bioware will care about your specific complains enough to apply them in order for you to sub again.

I unsub and subed many times, and i never felt the need to explain why i did it.

I guess alot of people are just drama queens, in the forums.

And lastly bioware or anyone else it isnt entitled to know why i sub or dont sub.

Its a business that simple. I pay for an entertaiment, if i dont even feel in the mood i dont have it to, and i dont have to explain it on the forums, why im not in the mood, it is nobody business. It might not even be a thing related to the game.

Edited by Spartanik

With all the problems with this expansion, you biggest complaint is no 12x. Wow.

Whew - I didn't mean to start a firestorm here. :(

Just a couple points I'd like to clarify - I canceled my subscription by deleting the payment method; I guess I didn't see any form I was supposed to fill out.

I don't have any complaints about the game at all really; I just found it a bunch more fun when the 12x exp was running and I had character slots for new characters to level. I maxed out the number of slots I could have, and I'd like to get more, and enjoy the class story with those new characters. SWTOR is really very fun (for me) when I can focus on the 1-55 class story. Without the 12x experience and characters to level up, the game isn't offering me an experience I want to pay for. No harm, no foul; if they offer that experience again, I'll gladly be back.

Whew - I didn't mean to start a firestorm here. :(

Just a couple points I'd like to clarify - I canceled my subscription by deleting the payment method; I guess I didn't see any form I was supposed to fill out.

I don't have any complaints about the game at all really; I just found it a bunch more fun when the 12x exp was running and I had character slots for new characters to level. I maxed out the number of slots I could have, and I'd like to get more, and enjoy the class story with those new characters. SWTOR is really very fun (for me) when I can focus on the 1-55 class story. Without the 12x experience and characters to level up, the game isn't offering me an experience I want to pay for. No harm, no foul; if they offer that experience again, I'll gladly be back.

What you do expect? dont you know how these kind of threads always end up?

Specialy when you dont realy give logic reasons. ( i dont think you even need to btw) But by sharing in a gaming forum, where there isnt a need to begin with. but your own to proclaim to the world that for you the game isnt good anymore for you because there isnt 12xp boost .. welll brace yourself. You got what you deserve here, or you pay for you naivity.

Point being It is nobody business why you sub or not, and from my experience of reading similar thread like these, most people loathe these threads, and dont like to hear it. Generaly speaking.

Also just a small note, there is more story behond lvl 55....

Edited by Spartanik

• 2 months later...