The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The 12 Days of SWTOR

CourtneyWoods

For the first day, we will be putting the Crime Lord and Blockade Runner's Cartel Packs back onto the market! They are available both as single packs and Hypercrates.

They are seriously screwing their model up. Consider, optimistically, the average customer might be willing to drop $40.00 on this 12 day event. However, by not listing what is coming up each day the pressure to purchase a 'meh' crate vs waiting, waiting will always win out. So if at the end of the 12 days there was nothing more than 'meh' they have lost a potential sale. So one of two things needs to happen -- radical price drop and keep the 12 days a secret or keep the current price and expose all 12 days and allow the customer to make an informed decision.

I understand the concept of pressure purchases with the idea that the customer will find additional money to impulse day further down the road but I really don't think it applies here. Especially, considering the post on this thread.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am sure there will be some folks that will enjoy purchasing the packs. I will not be one of those people.

I would have preferred an individual item sale like it was last time they did the hourly sale. Other folks have pointed out that they did embargoed packs last year, so this is probably a modification of that.

Oh well. Maybe next time.

Edited by LordArtemis

Once again, BioWare has an opportunity to do something great and get some money but instead chooses to list up a bunch of old packs that I have zero interest in. Anything worth collecting in those I've had for a while, I guess they feel newer players might want in on them. They seem to think these are the holy grail of hypercrates/packs and they really aren't. Ah well, luckily I won't be enticed to buy any Cartel Coins so I guess I win this round.

I think bringing back embargoed Packs on a daily rotation is a perfectly fine seasonal promotion/sale. One of the things they did last year was bring back the Cartel Packs for the first time since their embargo, so this is a nice update now that we have so many more embargoed Packs.

After I get the new Speeder and Decoration Bundle (which are prompting my fourth ever CC purchase), any CCs I have left over will go towards Space Pirate Cartel Packs and Star Cluster Nightlife Packs once they go up on sale.

Edited by DarthDymond

I think bringing back embargoed Packs on a daily rotation is a perfectly fine seasonal promotion/sale. One of the things they did last year was bring back the Cartel Packs for the first time since their embargo, so this is a nice update now that we have so many more embargoed Packs.

After I get the new Speeder and Decoration Bundle (which are prompting my fourth ever CC purchase), any CCs I have left over will go towards Space Pirate Cartel Packs and Star Cluster Nightlife Packs once they go up on sale.

They bring these packs back all the time. It's certainly not a once a year thing.

Edited by Kadin

They bring these packs back all the time. It's certainly not a once a year thing.

Correct, which is why they needed to change things up this year and why this is a nice update of the same idea.

In X-mas 2013, the 'special' thing they were doing was bringing back embargoed packs, which was something that they hadn't done before at that time.

Now that it has been done before a few times, in X-mas 2014, the 'special' thing they are doing is bringing back all the embargoed packs and setting it up around a 12-days of X-mas theme with different returning packs each day.

Same theme, updated.

Edited by DarthDymond

For the first day, we will be putting the Crime Lord and Blockade Runner's Cartel Packs back onto the market! They are available both as single packs and Hypercrates.

If all you put on sale is cartel packs..... then you missed a great opportunity to create good will with the player base here.

Just because you have a truck load of different cartel packs after two years of hawking them in the CM, does not make them great Life Day sale items.

Awesome. It will be that many more weeks before I can unload all the garbage from CM packs in my inventory. Wish we could just vendor this stuff. The whole embargo thing is a joke. They are constantly flooding the market with re-issued CM packs so supply of the pack items rarely gets to the point where you can get a decent price for 90% of the stuff you get in the packs. They have de-valued the worth of the items in CM packs so much by constantly bringing these packs back, that I've stopped buying packs because the value of the items you receive isn't worth the cost of the packs.

This is actually more of a hinderance than any sort of gift to me personally.

Only because I'm a capitalist and want to make credits off all the embargoed items I've been saving up to increase in value and this will just hurt the market and make it harder to sell. Still not really a complaint per se I would have just thought embargoes would last a little bit longer to give rare items more value in the long run.

Continually bringing back embargoed packs kind of puts those of us who buy packs for investment sake off from buying them to begin with because we know they amy be back a few months later and thus will never earn us that income boost we invested in.

Just an observation anyway. Still a good chance for newer players who never got the older items and who do not want to buy them from GTN to pick them up so I can certainly see the merit in it. :)

Only because I'm a capitalist and want to make credits off all the embargoed items I've been saving up to increase in value and this will just hurt the market and make it harder to sell. Still not really a complaint per se I would have just thought embargoes would last a little bit longer to give rare items more value in the long run.

The old packs are priced between 400k-600k, that's already ridiculous amount. You wait endlessly to see a single pack to be worth nearly 1 mil? Luckily, not going to happen!

You have done that to yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izBUPZ3yjpU

Something odd that I noticed. According to the CM, the 'base price' before the discount on both the Crime Lord and Blockade Runner Packs was put at 300 CCs. When they were originally out, their price was 360 CCs.

Why change it in such a way that makes the "sale price" discount seem like it's less than it actually is? It lists a discount of 16% when it's closer to 30% from what they used to be.

As sales go, this one is pretty weak.

Yeah, it's a chance to buy older packs but at a price that isn't all that different from when they were first released.

I was worried that it might cost me Cartel Coins, but if this is how the rest of it's gonna play out, I think I'll be ok to let this sale pass by.