Any consensus yet on what's best for bolster?

announcerharris

I can't stomach grinding comms right now and just want to hop into unranked wzs from time to time; have people determined what bolsters best at 60 yet? Checked the sticky but didn't see a clear answer. Any help is much appreciated!

Will let you know when I get there... I can say that LVL 55-59 should be 156-162 gear (if you don't have pvp gear already)

I did have a look at the new highest pvp gear yesterday and noticed a very small difference in stats compared to my Brutalizer gear... Not sure how bolster will work... But as the difference is so small and from what I saw, they were only 5 -20 point increases... I can't see how there will be a lot of difference between the 2 once the Brutalizer bolsters... Not sure what it will be like with PVE gear... But I have a sneaking suspicion 162 will be BiS

Others have posted that using the highest advanced (purple) augments reduces some stats and the 178 blue ones work better... Can anyone confirm this as I haven't hit 60 yet... I know it does reduce stats pre 60

*edit* this will mean you need 2 sets of armor... One for pvp and one for pve... No longer will pvp gear be enough for LVL 60 pve... I guess this is what the Devs intended because ranked pvp gear is now so much lower than standard pve gear

Edited by Icykill_

I don't know if MH/OH have to be pvp in order to get full expertise (as was the case in 2.10), but that's probably a safe bet - I don't know why they would change that, intentionally. If you are going to be running an occasional warzone, it should be fairly easy to eventually get a MH/OH.

For now, I would certainly avoid the high end PVE stuff (over 172). Based on some limited experimentation with an alt wearing 162 gear received from the forged alliances story arc, that seems to bolster fairly well. I'm not sure where the optimal cutoff is, though. It may be 168, 172. I'm thinking that once your gear rating gets above 174 (dark reaver tier 2 set), your expertise will get nerfed really hard, which is never a good thing. In general, you want your expertise to be at or really close to 2018.

You can test it out using the bolsterizer terminal on the interfleet transport. I'm not sure that anybody has really gone through the effort of testing myriad combinations yet (at least not from what I have seen).

EDIT: one more thing to consider - augments. It appears that the way augments are being bolstered is this: if you do not have an augment, you get a bunch of endurance. That seems great, but if you are a dps, you care more about main stat or power than you care about endurance (meaning you would typically use the main stat or power + endurance augments, not just endurance). So, un-augmented characters tend to have a large health pool, but low main stat or power, and therefore weak damage.

TLDR: I suppose that if you want to casually run warzones, not have to grind comms, and be reasonably competitive, you'll need to throw together an augmented ~162 or ~168 set. However, if you are a tank, perhaps you won't need augments.

Edited by teclado

I can't stomach grinding comms right now and just want to hop into unranked wzs from time to time; have people determined what bolsters best at 60 yet? Checked the sticky but didn't see a clear answer. Any help is much appreciated!

ugh these questions are frustrating to me.Personally i just get the best pvp gear and call it a day.If i lose they are better if I win I am.Trying to find the most optimal bolster to circumnavigate the expertise stat is straight up cheese.

This type of behaviour is detrimental to our community.My friends list straight up turned off when the first bolster bug manifested.(my friends list are people i win with in regs)Queue time have at least tripled.Fleets are running alot less instances.I am not blaming you... but if you really love pvp keep this out of the open forum.It's killing this game

ugh these questions are frustrating to me.Personally i just get the best pvp gear and call it a day.If i lose they are better if I win I am.Trying to find the most optimal bolster to circumnavigate the expertise stat is straight up cheese.

This type of behaviour is detrimental to our community.My friends list straight up turned off when the first bolster bug manifested.(my friends list are people i win with in regs)Queue time have at least tripled.Fleets are running alot less instances.I am not blaming you... but if you really love pvp keep this out of the open forum.It's killing this game

I get it. Bolster seems like an overly complicated solution. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that bolster should work like this: if a given slot does not have the max expertise for that slot, set stats (expertise, main stat, power, surge, etc.) to x, with x being something less than a given pvp item. If the player is in a tank stance, set bolster accordingly (emphasize endurance over main stat). If you don't have a pvp item in that slot, you should be able to wear anything (or nothing) and get some predetermined stats.

Edited by teclado

I get what you're saying, but I'm not trying to "circumnavigate" expertise - I'm operating under the assumption that PVP gear is better than whatever I get through bolster. I just don't have the time (as admittedly little as it takes) to grind out that set right now, so I want to know how I can be most competitive when I hop in for the occasional unranked with my buddies.

I get what you're saying, but I'm not trying to "circumnavigate" expertise - I'm operating under the assumption that PVP gear is better than whatever I get through bolster. I just don't have the time (as admittedly little as it takes) to grind out that set right now, so I want to know how I can be most competitive when I hop in for the occasional unranked with my buddies.

You can gear out in pvp gear and be fine, but from the looks of what some people are finding out is that optimizing your gear the regular way will not give you optimal stats.

In games where you and your opponents skill are near perfect, the fight usually comes down to some random stroke of luck(crit god), or whoever had the gear or class advantage. Most people try to remove gear disadvantages early, to remove that possibility, as everytime you lose, you have to ask "what if my gear were better"

People who emphasize on being the best player they can be in pvp would not only work on skill, but also iron out any slack that could come from gearing. Bolster breaks the standard means of removing gear deficiancies, by confusing people on what gear gives the best stats.

Those that still wish to excell in pvp will no longer just seek to get the tier 2 pvp gear, as right now their is some debate as whether or not it gives the best stats. some people are saying no.

Augmenting is a completely different beast, especially as it can cost upwards to a 1.5 million credits to fully augment your toon if you lack the crewskills to make them yourself. The fact that those augments "might not" be the best investment would be nce to know before you invest heavily into the most expensive augs just to get worse stats.