The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is Synthweaving useless once you hit max level?

Lupious

I'm a returning player and I have Synthweaving. I hit 60 and there really doesn't seem like anything to do with Synthweaving. The end game purples are *barely* better than the basic comm gear and don't sell hardly at all. There doesn't seem like a way to make money. Thew new quest lines gives a ton of gear making it so that no one buys anything. It seems like Biochem for perma stims/heals would be much more beneficial. Am I missing something? Edited by Lupious

I make MK-10 and the new purple augments, but a bit of a warning on the augments, you first going to have to get the schematics (try the GTN) and they will be green and you will have to reverse engineer them to blue and then purple and it can take a bit to get them.

Then you will need some slicing mats to make the blue and purples.

Synthweaving is not a good choice. I keep it on my main because I don't want to lose all schematics that I've learned, but other than that there isn't any reason to keep Synthweaving. I don't make good money out of it.

Augment Kits and Augments are not enough. Every Synth crafter is doing them as there is no alternative in this skill. You can always craft armors from 15 to 40 lvl, but this doesn't provide huge profit.

Cybertech / Artifice / Armstech were and are the real bosses when it comes to the crafting skills. I haven't leveled up Artifice and Armstech yet, but crafting purple hilts, enhancements, barrels, relics, dyes, droid parts is obviously good business.

Edited by PavSalco

Synthweaving is not a good choice. I keep it on my main because I don't want to lose all schematics that I've learned, but other than that there isn't any reason to keep Synthweaving. I don't make good money out of it.

Augment Kits and Augments are not enough. Every Synth crafter is doing them as there is no alternative in this skill. You can always craft armors from 15 to 40 lvl, but this doesn't provide huge profit.

Cybertech / Artifice / Armstech were and are the real bosses when it comes to the crafting skills. I haven't leveled up Artifice and Armstech yet, but crafting purple hilts, enhancements, barrels, relics, dyes, droid parts is obviously good business.

While I agree that Synthweaving is a poor first choice, it does have some "strategic" advantages. While both the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior have +5 crits on Synthweaving, there is also a Ship Droid sensor that gives +5 to crits, so any character can have +5 crits with Synthweaving. Armstechs and Armormechs can only get a +5 crit by playing specific classes (Smuggler and Trooper, respectively).

So, for making Augmentation Kits (as well as some conquest/stronghold stuff), you can get the best crit chance (+5) with a level 15 character.

So, unless you have any unreplaceable schematics (which for Synthweaving would probably be only endgame armor shells), you might want to consider leveling another char to level 15 and making it your Synthweaver and change your main to a "better" crafting skill -- without knowing your main's class, it would be hard to tell if there is an advantage to doing so.

I am making multi millions of credits a week by doing nothing but using my synthweaver.

You have to look beyond the obvious armor making choices. There is a market for those, especially low level blues, but it's slow and fickle.

Synthweaving is not a poor choice at all. The components we can make for strongholds have a constant market, take few mats, and sell very well. Now that 3.0 has hit, I am making a killing off of selling blue augments and MK-10 kits. Prices will inevitably drop as more people get augged, but right now and for the forseeable future, I am bringing in about a mill a day off of synthweaving.

While there are steps involved to getting the blue/purple augment schematics it isn't hard at all. You just buy the schematics off the GTN (which are going for fairly cheap by this point; on my server I can get them all for 3-50k apiece), craft greens and RE them til you get blues. I recommend just selling blues unless you have a slicer. It really doesn't take long at all, but it's up to you to decide if you want easy credits or not. :cool:

One note though, if you decide to play the augment game, play it smart. I never list more than 5 of each type of augment on the GTN, because they either sell fast or are undercut fast. Aug makers tend to only undercut each other by a few credits, but if you're selling for 35,900 and there are 3 pages selling them for 2 credits less than you, your stock won't move til you relist to be the lowest. Just the nature of the beast in a high demand, easy to craft item.

The way I see it is this... sure, you might need the biochem reusables for raids/PVP, but you can make way more money off of other crew skills than biochem. I'd rather make a ton of money and just buy the biochem stims I need for cheap off the GTN, but your mileage may vary. :)

Edited by Beltane