Does anyone play KOTOR 1 anymore?

migzmando

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone is still playing KOTOR 1? And if so could anyone recommend to me a great character build for the following?

I tried to search for some builds, but I was having a lot of trouble finding anything.

Here are the things that I would like to accomplish with this character:

1.) Able to fully repair HK-47.

2.) Able to have a high persuasion.

3.) A Jedi Guardian weaponmaster light side. Using one lightsaber, or two if that is better?

Also, do you recommend only leveling up to level 2 on Taris, and saving the rest for once I reach Dantooine, and become a Jedi?

Attribute wise, what is the best way to go for the above goals? And Scout/Soldier/Scoundrel to start?

Also, as a user who has the collector edition of KOTOR 1 and 2, using Windows 7, is there anything that you recommend installing to ensure a smooth experience?

Edited by migzmando

Oh gawd the memories... :D

I haven't touched it in so long but from what I remember this is more of less dungeons and dragons 3.0 rules and weapon master requires a lot of feats. With that I believe soldier is the way to go because they get more feats to spend so you can get into the weapon master class faster.

Also level 4 if where you hold off. For one, you can't beat starkiller if your level is than that (well I didn't have a chance in hell) and 2) D&D "guidelines" for multiclassing for the best stats (basically saves and base attack) you need to level in bundles of 4. Ideally you'll get the best saving throws and base attack if you do it in fours. 4 soldier, 8 jedi, 8 weapon master.

Edited by Ridickilis

Oh gawd the memories... :D

I haven't touched it in so long but from what I remember this is more of less dungeons and dragons 3.0 rules and weapon master requires a lot of feats. With that I believe soldier is the way to go because they get more feats to spend so you can get into the weapon master class faster.

Also level 4 if where you hold off. For one, you can't beat starkiller if your level is than that (well I didn't have a chance in hell) and 2) D&D "guidelines" for multiclassing for the best stats (basically saves and base attack) you need to level in bundles of 4. Ideally you'll get the best saving throws and base attack if you do it in fours. 4 soldier, 8 jedi, 8 weapon master.

Thanks for your input! going the path of the soldier, though, would that be sufficient for getting a high persuasion and repair skill to repair HK47?

Thanks for your input! going the path of the soldier, though, would that be sufficient for getting a high persuasion and repair skill to repair HK47?

Oh yes persuasion is good for any player character no matter what class. It's the same as diplomacy in D&D, your effectiveness in conversations and getting people to tell you stuff.

Repair I don't think you need nor do think that part of the soldier's skill set, so you'll be paying 2 skill points to level up 1 rank in it. So I don't think you could get enough points in it to make it worth it to unlock all of HK's upgrades. If you want that you should probably ditch weapon master for scout (druid skill points) scoundrel (rogue skill points, the most in game) into councilor or sentinel. I believe those are the 4 that have more skill points and more base line skill availability.

The soldier, knight and weapon master I believe are like "fighters", only 2 skill points per level and limited options to put them. They make up for it having a better base attack and a bonus feat every other level. You could raise your intelligence to 14, that would give you 2 more bonus skill points per level but you'd be taking away from str, con and dex which you're going to want as a fighter.

Edited by Ridickilis

General rule of thumb in KotOR1, don't level up before becoming a Jedi on Dantooine. Yes, it will be annoying and difficult in the early game on Taris, but it will be rewarding aswell. In KotOR 1, the max level is 20. If you become a Jedi by, say level 9, and leveled up every time, you will only have 11 levels as Jedi, meaning you won't be able to unlock your full Force potential.

Now, I haven't done my yearly playthrough of the game yet for some obscure reason, so I can't really help with builds as much as I would like.

Oh yes persuasion is good for any player character no matter what class. It's the same as diplomacy in D&D, your effectiveness in conversations and getting people to tell you stuff.

Repair I don't think you need nor do think that part of the soldier's skill set, so you'll be paying 2 skill points to level up 1 rank in it. So I don't think you could get enough points in it to make it worth it to unlock all of HK's upgrades. If you want that you should probably ditch weapon master for scout (druid skill points) scoundrel (rogue skill points, the most in game) into councilor or sentinel. I believe those are the 4 that have more skill points and more base line skill availability.

The soldier, knight and weapon master I believe are like "fighters", only 2 skill points per level and limited options to put them. They make up for it having a better base attack and a bonus feat every other level. You could raise your intelligence to 14, that would give you 2 more bonus skill points per level but you'd be taking away from str, con and dex which you're going to want as a fighter.

I was thinking about going scout and then jedi guardian after the fact to get the repair up.. But thinking about it now,

As a light side character hk47 isn't all that useful anyway. Much more important to have a high speech skill, which the only way is starting scoundrel since the others have to pay 2 points per point of speech.

Makes it a hard choice.

What about scoundrel, then guardian?

General rule of thumb in KotOR1, don't level up before becoming a Jedi on Dantooine. Yes, it will be annoying and difficult in the early game on Taris, but it will be rewarding aswell. In KotOR 1, the max level is 20. If you become a Jedi by, say level 9, and leveled up every time, you will only have 11 levels as Jedi, meaning you won't be able to unlock your full Force potential.

Now, I haven't done my yearly playthrough of the game yet for some obscure reason, so I can't really help with builds as much as I would like.

Yep, on my play through I'm only going to level up to level 2 as my first class, then get to dantooine and become a jedi.

So I guess I should refine my list.

As a light side character, these are the important points:

1.) become a jedi guardian light side.

2.) have a high persuasion score.

Would it be feasibly to start as a scoundrel? That way I could raise persuasion for 1 point, then switch to a guardian?

On my next play through, I think I'll go dark side jedi guardian, or perhaps consular.

On my next play through, I think I'll go dark side jedi guardian, or perhaps consular.

Yes you could but as soon as choose Guardian that skill will become a cross skill and you'll have to spend 2 points every level you take in guardian. You'd have to go scoundrel > councilor to keep a similar skill set.

Oh and is this Kotor 1 or II? I was just goggling a few things and I don't think there are any prestige classes in I, so no Weapon Master. Those weren't introduced until Kotor II with the increased level to 30.

Soldier and guardian use the same templates; low skill points (2 per level + int bonus), high base attack (4 attacks per round at 20), bonus feats.

Scoundrel and councilor are the same templates; high skill points (10 or 8 can't remember), medium base attack (3 attacks per round at 20)

Scout and Sentinel are the same templates; medium skill points (8 or 6 can't remember), medium base attack (3 attacks per round at 20)

So yeah, you can certainly cross them (like a scoundrel/guardian) for a cool concept but if you're trying to maximize a certain skill you'd most likely have to follow the above progression.

Edited by Ridickilis

Yes you could but as soon as choose Guardian that skill with become a cross skill and you'll have to spend 2 points every level you take in guardian. You'd have to go scoundrel > councilor to keep a similar skill set.

Oh and is this Kotor 1 or II? I was just goggling a few things and I don't think there are any prestige classes in I, so no Weapon Master. Those weren't introduced until Kotor II with the increased level to 30.

Soldier and guardian use the same templates; low skill points (2 per level + int bonus), high base attack (4 attacks per round at 20), bonus feats.

Scoundrel and councilor are the same templates; high skill points (10 or 8 can't remember), medium base attack (3 attacks per round at 20)

Scout and Sentinel are the same templates; medium skill points (8 or 6 can't remember), medium base attack (3 attacks per round at 20)

So yeah, you can certainly cross them (like a scoundrel/guardian) for a cool concept but if you're trying to maximize a certain skill you'd most likely have to follow the above progression.

KOTOR 1. I apologize I didn't say that first.

So, what you're saying is, even if you start as scoundrel, as soon as you pick guardian your persuasions is going to be a cross class skill and still be 2 points for one level up??

Ugh. :( so I guess there's no way to be a persuasive guardian??

I really wanna focus on lightsaber combat more than force abilities. But I also want to be a persuasive talker and negotiator.

KOTOR 1. I apologize I didn't say that first.

So, what you're saying is, even if you start as scoundrel, as soon as you pick guardian your persuasions is going to be a cross class skill and still be 2 points for one level up??

Ugh. :( so I guess there's no way to be a persuasive guardian??

I really wanna focus on lightsaber combat more than force abilities. But I also want to be a persuasive talker and negotiator.

Well it's been a really long time, I could be mistaken and persuasion could be one of those skills that is baseline to all classes. You'd have to check it, or perhaps someone else knows for sure.

But yes, that would be right. You could feasibly go scoundrel to level 2, level a guardian 4-5 levels then go back and take another level in scoundrel while saving some skill points. Then it will be treated as a base skill until you level up again in Guardian. Max out persuasion as far as you can in that level then go back to Guardian in the next level.... if that makes sense. I know how to do it, i'm just struggling to explain it in writing. Sorry about that.

Yeah you did say Kotor 1 in the title but I don't believe the weapon master prestige class is in this one. That's what made me question which one.

Edited by Ridickilis

Well it's been a really long time, I could be mistaken and persuasion could be one of those skills that is baseline to all classes. You'd have to check it, or perhaps someone else knows for sure.

But yes, that would be right. You could feasibly go scoundrel to level 2, level a guardian 4-5 levels then go back and take another level in scoundrel while saving some skill points. Then it will be treated as a base skill until you level up again in Guardian. Max out persuasion as far as you can in that level then go back to Guardian in the next level.... if that makes sense. I know how to do it, i'm just struggling to explain it in writing. Sorry about that.

Yeah you did say Kotor 1 in the title but I don't believe the weapon master prestige class is in this one. That's what made me question which one.

I know for a fact that the only starting class that gets 1/1 for persuasion is the scoundrel. I think I read somewhere that all jedi are skilled at persuasion, so perhaps once you hit jedi you get persuasion at 1/1?

I don't think thats true, I believe if it was a class skill as a Scoundrel it'll be a class skill as a Guardian. I have a save as a Scoundrel just before picking your Jedi class but I'm at work and can't test it until later if you still haven't an answer. Regardless a Scoundrel/Guardian is a very good combo because of Sneak Attack, a bonus perk given to Scoundrels every few levels that adds bonus damage when attacking from behind or if enemy is unable to respond (stunned, choked etc). Furthermore you'll get another Scoundrel perk that gives you bonus defense every few levels as a Scoundrel. Lastly I don't recommend holding levels at 2, there was a bug that would prevent your companions from gaining XP if you did so so I feel 4 or 5 (next rank of Sneak Attack) or 6 (next rank of +def perk) before going Guardian. This has an added benefit of giving you more skill points to bank because once you hit Guardian you'll get very few.

speaking of stats you'll get an attribute point every four levels so +5 at 20 and odd attribute scores are wasteful and a little known fact in KotOR1 every Jedi class gets a free (and hidden) Lightsaber Finesse feat which uses your DEX to calculate hit vice STR if its higher. This is a good thing. I don't remember the attribute total you can assign but shoot for 12 or 14 in STR, 12 or 14 CON, 12 or 14 INT, 10 or 12 CHA, 12 or 14 WIS (for Force powers along with CHA, and FP pool) and most importantly 15 DEX. Your 5 level up attributes will go here for a base DEX at 20 of 20. You'll have superb defense and chance to hit. As a Guardian you could also prioritize the higher STR or CON I listed before but with an ending DEX of 18. This'll make your starting DEX 13 a little low so you could also drop your starting DEX to 15 and starting WIS to 10 and add 3DEX/2WIS and still end in the same place without gimping you on Taris and Dantooine too bad

Important powers are Force Speed 3 and choice of Wound/Choke/Kill, Stun/Stasis 2 or 3, Push 3, or Horror 2 or 3. These will make an enemy unresponsive , procing Sneak Attack , and all the extra damage from Critical Strike and attacks from Master Speed devastating. Another very important power is Slow 3 which is a huge stat debuff and irresistible by enemies (even Malak) which will let your other powers stick even better you big oaf of a low Wisdom and Charisma having Guardian you.

lastly for reference you need 17 Repair to do all HK repairs after bonuses from items

*added* whoa whoa whoa, I dunno what version you're playing but I know on my old XBox copy you can't choose which class to assign levels. Perhaps a mod or something unique to PC version?

Edited by Vicentegrev

*added* whoa whoa whoa, I dunno what version you're playing but I know on my old XBox copy you can't choose which class to assign levels. Perhaps a mod or something unique to PC version?

Yeah pc version you could save some, unless I ****ed that up too and am thinking of Neverwinter Nights 1+2.

But yeah good points all around, I forgot about their def bonus. I'd still say level in bundles of 4 though, otherwise it nerfs base attacks and saving throws if you're not careful.

I think your'e wrong about skill carrying over though. In advanced D&D rules it doesn't work that way, if you took ranger first and pumped spot and listen then took fighter next, spot and listen become cross class skills until you take another level of Ranger (or any class that has spot and listen). Pretty sure it's the same here. Now he could be right (and that's what you're thinking of) that all jedi get persuasion as a base class, that could be what it is.

I don't think thats true, I believe if it was a class skill as a Scoundrel it'll be a class skill as a Guardian. I have a save as a Scoundrel just before picking your Jedi class but I'm at work and can't test it until later if you still haven't an answer. Regardless a Scoundrel/Guardian is a very good combo because of Sneak Attack, a bonus perk given to Scoundrels every few levels that adds bonus damage when attacking from behind or if enemy is unable to respond (stunned, choked etc). Furthermore you'll get another Scoundrel perk that gives you bonus defense every few levels as a Scoundrel. Lastly I don't recommend holding levels at 2, there was a bug that would prevent your companions from gaining XP if you did so so I feel 4 or 5 (next rank of Sneak Attack) or 6 (next rank of +def perk) before going Guardian. This has an added benefit of giving you more skill points to bank because once you hit Guardian you'll get very few.

speaking of stats you'll get an attribute point every four levels so +5 at 20 and odd attribute scores are wasteful and a little known fact in KotOR1 every Jedi class gets a free (and hidden) Lightsaber Finesse feat which uses your DEX to calculate hit vice STR if its higher. This is a good thing. I don't remember the attribute total you can assign but shoot for 12 or 14 in STR, 12 or 14 CON, 12 or 14 INT, 10 or 12 CHA, 12 or 14 WIS (for Force powers along with CHA, and FP pool) and most importantly 15 DEX. Your 5 level up attributes will go here for a base DEX at 20 of 20. You'll have superb defense and chance to hit. As a Guardian you could also prioritize the higher STR or CON I listed before but with an ending DEX of 18. This'll make your starting DEX 13 a little low so you could also drop your starting DEX to 15 and starting WIS to 10 and add 3DEX/2WIS and still end in the same place without gimping you on Taris and Dantooine too bad

Important powers are Force Speed 3 and choice of Wound/Choke/Kill, Stun/Stasis 2 or 3, Push 3, or Horror 2 or 3. These will make an enemy unresponsive , procing Sneak Attack , and all the extra damage from Critical Strike and attacks from Master Speed devastating. Another very important power is Slow 3 which is a huge stat debuff and irresistible by enemies (even Malak) which will let your other powers stick even better you big oaf of a low Wisdom and Charisma having Guardian you.

lastly for reference you need 17 Repair to do all HK repairs after bonuses from items

I found a post.. All Jedi get persuade as a class skill. So that's good.

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic/Skills

as far as stopping leveling at 2, Ive heard that is preferable, so you get the most jedi points possible..

And companions wouldn't lose xp, because you would still level them up normally, would you not??

Maybe. My copy in the Best of the PC anthology played nicely with Vista + Radeon HD 4670 (pre-patched to 1.02-and, since lucasarts.com is down, finding a patch you're willing to trust might be difficult). If your old version won't play nicely with newer Windows, GOG's should, and will (legally!) come without copy protection.

As for how to do persuasion+repair, scoundrel + consular (I think) is the way to go.

I'd dispute the stay-level-2 plan: as scoundrel, you get a lot more skill points when leveling as scoundrel, and you might end up

Migz,

If you want to be a guardian, you'll want to put Strength at 15 when you start out. The bonus 5 attribute points when leveling will bring this to 20, and you'll get the full bonus out of this. At endgame, it's most beneficial to have all attributes at even levels so you aren't wasting attribute points.

Intelligence governs skill points gained each level. Scouts start off with Repair as a class skill, but not persuade. However, there isn't anything on Taris that you'll really need persuade for, so you can bump up repair and treat injury and hold remaining skills for persuade once you become a guardian. Repair will remain a class skill.

I would also recommend level holding, but not at level 2. You'll shortchange yourself on feats and skill points. I would recommend being a scout and leveling through level 7. You'll get two levels of implant for free, and two levels of uncanny dodge for free, too. You'll also have 14 force powers, which is more than enough for a guardian.

For what you want, I'd go Scout 7/Guardian 13.

At character creation:

Str: 15

Dex: 10

Con: 14

Int: 14

Wis: 12

Chr: 12

I'm sure someone is reading this and yelling at me for leaving DEX at 10. There is a pretty big debate around which is better because the passive finesse feat allows your modifier for whichever attribute is higher to be added to your hit bonus. But since you're a guardian, you'll have more resilience than other Jedi classes, so you'll be able to take more damage and focus on dealing damage and taking out enemies faster. DEX is a great attribute for other builds, but as long as you're out of the negative modifiers, you'll be fine, especially with the light side Force buffs you can get.

There are two options for lightsabers. Two individual lightsabers, or a double bladed. If you want two individual sabers, you'll have to spec fully into two weapon fighting. However, there's a bug in the game where if you use a double bladed weapon, the penalty does not actually affect the blade in the offhand, making TWF worthless.

Make sure you do the Yavin side quests with Suvam so you can access his special crystals by the end of the game. And if you beat Suvam 10 times at pazaak, he'll give you a huge discount on his wares. For the most part, you'll be looking for gear that improves wisdom and strength. CNS Strength Enhancer, Circlet of Saresh, Advanced Alacrity Implant, and Dominator gauntlets will serve you well. There's also some gear that gives huge increases to repair when you have the difficulty check for repairing HK.

Someone might come along and disagree with my advice. Honestly, you would have to try really hard to not be able to beat this game. But I think the above build makes you a persuasive guardian who can repair HK-47.

Finally, I would recommend trying to get Flawless Widescreen working for KOTOR. It's a great little fix. As far as mods, there was a mod that added armbands based on Lightsaber forms to the game. It actually gives useful armbands, as the only one that wasn't a shield was Brejik's, and that was nearly useless.

These links should help you do a bit more research:

KOTOR Strategy Wiki

Gamebanshee

Good hunting!

Edited by BronKyja

I hope OP doesn't mind if other folks post KOTOR questions, don't want to muscle in or derail etc but I would appreciate some advice also. Gonna play KOTOR 1 for the first time since first and last playthrough on xbox when it came out so I've forgotten what I may have known. I'd like to build a sabrestaff/dual sabre character with the ability to persuade, what starting role + jedi role, stats and abilities would be desirable for someone like that? Edited by Legather

I hope OP doesn't mind if other folks post KOTOR questions, don't want to muscle in or derail etc but I would appreciate some advice also. Gonna play KOTOR 1 for the first time since first and last playthrough on xbox when it came out so I've forgotten what I may have known. I'd like to build a sabrestaff/dual sabre character with the ability to persuade, what starting role + jedi role, stats and abilities would be desirable for someone like that?

Actually, it's pretty much the same question as the OP. :p BronKyja put great detail into the post above yours and pretty much answered most of your question.

I'd probably go with two sabers, especially if two weapon fighting is bugged as he says and you don't get the benefit of it with the double blade.

Go with a strength build, not a dex build. Weapon fineness allows you to use your dex modifier to hit instead of strength but I don't think there is a dex modifier for damage in kotor 1. That would be an "epic" feat in D&D terms (post level 20) and should be only available in kotor II because this game stops at 20. You're better off staying with a strength build unless you're rolling a mage (councilor).

Just some basic stuff to refresh your memory:

Strength= affects your to hit and damage modifiers

Dexterity = adds to your armor class class (makes you harder to hit) and increases your chances to get out of the way of direct damage spells (add to reflex save).

Constitution = adds to your hit points and makes you sturdier verses weakening or damage over time affects like poisons or acids (adds to fortitude saves)

Intelligence = adds to your bonus skill points per level. I think there are some additional conversation options for higher levels in this because you may know what this super obscure item is that the npc has or whatever. Because you're scholarly 'n stuff

Willpower = makes you more resistant to mind affecting spells (adds to will saves) also adds to jedi mana/energy/resource pool for spell casters

Charisma = makes you more like-able when dealing with npc's and party members in conversations. Adds to your persuade skill.

10 points in a stat is net neutral, no bonus no penalty. For every two points above 10 you gain a +1 bonus. So someone with a 20 str will have +5 to hit and +5 damage for each attack. A dexterity of 20 would add +5 to your armor class, reflex save, some skills that are reflex based and +5 to hit if you took the weapon finesse feat. Etc and so on.

Edited by Ridickilis

I have KotoR 1 on PC and IPhone , and KotoR II on pc .

To be honest , I have them and nowhere play them as much as I did when I have them on Xbox . I lived in KOTOR I and II on Xbox lol .

My Wife and I would be in those worlds for days with out coming up for air !

Actually, if you want to make the most of your feats, you'll use a double bladed saber. The game is bugged where the offhand penalty isn't included in any calculations, so you don't actually need TWF and can use those three feats for other things. Just buy the double bladed sword from Kebla Yurt on Taris to take advantage of this while not a Jedi!

Migz,

If you want to be a guardian, you'll want to put Strength at 15 when you start out. The bonus 5 attribute points when leveling will bring this to 20, and you'll get the full bonus out of this. At endgame, it's most beneficial to have all attributes at even levels so you aren't wasting attribute points.

Intelligence governs skill points gained each level. Scouts start off with Repair as a class skill, but not persuade. However, there isn't anything on Taris that you'll really need persuade for, so you can bump up repair and treat injury and hold remaining skills for persuade once you become a guardian. Repair will remain a class skill.

I would also recommend level holding, but not at level 2. You'll shortchange yourself on feats and skill points. I would recommend being a scout and leveling through level 7. You'll get two levels of implant for free, and two levels of uncanny dodge for free, too. You'll also have 14 force powers, which is more than enough for a guardian.

At character creation:

I'm sure someone is reading this and yelling at me for leaving DEX at 10. There is a pretty big debate around which is better because the passive finesse feat allows your modifier for whichever attribute is higher to be added to your hit bonus. But since you're a guardian, you'll have more resilience than other Jedi classes, so you'll be able to take more damage and focus on dealing damage and taking out enemies faster. DEX is a great attribute for other builds, but as long as you're out of the negative modifiers, you'll be fine, especially with the light side Force buffs you can get.

There are two options for lightsabers. Two individual lightsabers, or a double bladed. If you want two individual sabers, you'll have to spec fully into two weapon fighting. However, there's a bug in the game where if you use a double bladed weapon, the penalty does not actually affect the blade in the offhand, making TWF worthless.

Make sure you do the Yavin side quests with Suvam so you can access his special crystals by the end of the game. And if you beat Suvam 10 times at pazaak, he'll give you a huge discount on his wares. For the most part, you'll be looking for gear that improves wisdom and strength. CNS Strength Enhancer, Circlet of Saresh, Advanced Alacrity Implant, and Dominator gauntlets will serve you well. There's also some gear that gives huge increases to repair when you have the difficulty check for repairing HK.

Someone might come along and disagree with my advice. Honestly, you would have to try really hard to not be able to beat this game. But I think the above build makes you a persuasive guardian who can repair HK-47.

Finally, I would recommend trying to get Flawless Widescreen working for KOTOR. It's a great little fix. As far as mods, there was a mod that added armbands based on Lightsaber forms to the game. It actually gives useful armbands, as the only one that wasn't a shield was Brejik's, and that was nearly useless.

KOTOR Strategy Wiki

Gamebanshee

Good hunting!

Thank you for your response, and thank you everyone!

Migz,

At character creation:

KOTOR Strategy Wiki

Gamebanshee

Good hunting!

Also, just curious..

Why can't one just use a single lightsaber?