A Trail of Light

LifeOfMessiah

When I went to do the quest "A Trail of Light" on Rishi today, it bugged out on me. A complete reset of the quest worked, but I noted a few other players having the same issue.

Once you get to the final part, where you have to excavate the treasure, the excavator was wanting me to dig in areas that were unreachable and outside the designated area for the excavator. Even if by chance I could somehow reach the supposed area where the treasure might be, it would tell me the probe didn't detect anything and wouldn't let me get the treasure.

If I can say something about this mission, as I've run it a fair few times now and it has never "bugged" - I've been able to complete it without the need to reset etc.

Ignore ANY results you get from the probe. The red circles, the green circles pointing you in a direction - ignore this.

Simply drop the probe on one stack of "newly dug earth". Circle around these "newly dug" sites and one of them will give you the treasure. The treasure will only appear on one of these stacks.

The result you get from the probe pushing you towards walls etc is misleading - ignore and stick to the stacks of earth.

Edited by Stoofa

If I can say something about this mission, as I've run it a fair few times now and it has never "bugged" - I've been able to complete it without the need to reset etc.

Ignore ANY results you get from the probe. The red circles, the green circles pointing you in a direction - ignore this.

Simply drop the probe on one stack of "newly dug earth". Circle around these "newly dug" sites and one of them will give you the treasure. The treasure will only appear on one of these stacks.

The result you get from the probe pushing you towards walls etc is misleading - ignore and stick to the stacks of earth.

I've already done that. I tried every "newly dug earth" and they were all empty.

I've already done that. I tried every "newly dug earth" and they were all empty.

All I can say is that I've now run the mission - quick math's time

Sorcerer, first time Tuesday, as a daily, 4 more times.

Sage, first time Tuesday, as a daily 4 more times.

Commando, first time Thursday

Gunslinger, first time Saturday

So, I've run it 12 times now and each time I've simply circled the newly dug areas. A few times it has been found first time, but on each occasion it has been found during a single circle of the dig sites.

All I can say is that I've now run the mission - quick math's time

Sorcerer, first time Tuesday, as a daily, 4 more times.

Sage, first time Tuesday, as a daily 4 more times.

Commando, first time Thursday

Gunslinger, first time Saturday

So, I've run it 12 times now and each time I've simply circled the newly dug areas. A few times it has been found first time, but on each occasion it has been found during a single circle of the dig sites.

Well, that's nice. It doesn't make it any less of a bug for the rest of us who weren't able to grab the treasure from any of the newly dug areas.

Well, that's nice. It doesn't make it any less of a bug for the rest of us who weren't able to grab the treasure from any of the newly dug areas.

Have now successfully completed said mission around 16 times and still neevr seen this bug people are talking of.

You'd have thouyght I'd have seen it once, even if just once if itt actually exists.

Have now successfully completed said mission around 16 times and still neevr seen this bug people are talking of.

You'd have thouyght I'd have seen it once, even if just once if itt actually exists.

I've done this quest a decent number of times now, and sometimes I get it on the first couple of tries. But on 3 or 4 occasions, I have literally scanned every single pile of dirt twice before I found it. Yesterday, after searching every single pile once, I actually got the green indicator, and decided to follow it just to see what happened. It ended up pointing me straight into the waterfall.

There is *something* not right in this quest.

Thank you Stoofa, after spending over an hour trying to dig it up from a cliff face, I followed your advice and quest complete.

Anyone having problems with scanning the Datastreams, I found that positioning myself directly underneath the minimap marker worked every time, I was only interupted when I tried to scan when NOT under the marker.

Update: I just completed this quest again today, and I think I might have an idea what is going on.

I scanned several of the piles with no luck, but then I scanned one and got the green indicator. After scanning the piles in the general direction of the indicator, I went back and scanned immediately to the side of pile in the direction of the indicator, and what do you know, success. It's like the treasure isn't spawning quite directly under the pile.

So if you are having issues, if you scan a pile and get the green indicator, scan just to the side of the pile in that direction, and see if it works.

If the probe is giving incorrect data, that in itself is a bug, though.

Just because you have never experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't occur. There have been plenty of bugs in this game that other players have experienced that I have never experienced either. That doesn't make it any less of a bug.

Anyone Troll much?

I have helped many people in game on this very topic so I will try and post this here as well.

There are a couple key things to notice when doing this mission.

(1) Do not use macro binoculars, they do not read the data stream. Use the tools given to you by the mission itself.

Open your inventory (B) and look at your mission items.

(2) Your screen will indicate when a data stream is detected in the area. As another player has mentioned, stand on top of the bullet point and that will get you close if not exactly where you need to be.

This also seems to work the best when there is a clear line of sight and you can clearly see both ends of the data stream.

In other words don't stand down on a beach and trying to scan a partial beam up on a hill.

(3) When treasure hunting at the end, start probing around the mounds that have the crabs next to them.

I have seen players probing the water, the surrounding grass and rock areas. Focus on the small mounds with the shovel handles sticking out of them.

While this may not fix everyone's issue I hope it will clean up some confusion.

Good Luck.

• 3 weeks later...

The result you get from the probe pushing you towards walls etc is misleading - ignore and stick to the stacks of earth.[/

Thanks this worked perfectly. Got mine from the "newly dug" furthest away from the place it was showing green, weird but it worked

• 4 weeks later...

Can confirm this too.

Following the droid's instructions led me towards the waterfall. After reading this thread, I ran around scanning the "Newly Dug" mounds, and found the item to complete the quest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I ran into this too.

You must ensure that you see the message "Datastream Detected" on your screen. Sometimes it can be very sensitive to position. I would stop when I saw the message, and as soon as I dismounted, it would read "No Datastream Detected". I had to move a meter or so in different directions until I got it stable. After that I was able to scan the stream.