The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Can We Get A Definitive Statement On Future 12x XP Plans?

howieloader

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a special pre-order bonus for subscribers with a specific start and END date.

That is the "Definitive Statement on Future 12x XP Plans". *boggle*

I don't see how in any way, shape, or form giving a bonus as a perk in a particular instance answers any questions as to whether it will be available again in the future...

There is no reason to expect it will.

They might do some other promotion or some similar promotion, but this was clearly one-time and I wouldn't expect anything like 12x the next time, they did a boost like that because WoW did insta-90.

Bioware doesn't want players to level through 99 hours of KDY, they want players to go through all the planets, go through their story, arrive at the endgame familiar with the world and their character's part in it. So this time, instead of traditional 2XP, they made 12xp on class stories only.

Clearly this hasn't worked out too well, producing many players unfamiliar with their class, and they know it. The next time, without the pressure from WoW, I'd expect something like 2XP general and 4x on class stories, or just 2XP or 3XP.

Given that they've been working night and day to get the expansion out and now have to work on ironing out all the bugs, I honestly doubt that they've given much thought to any sort of future 12x deal.

Once the dust settles, I'm sure it'll come up in a meeting sometime and then they'll figure out what they want to do.

That right there is total BS and has been proven such repeatedly during the 12x XP event.

True.

Many players were clueless enough as it was, even before the Class Story Leveling event. Said event merely helped increase that percentage. :p

Edited by Darth_Wicked

So you just think otherwise, but add "proven" to present it as an undisputed fact, noted.

Insta level 90 and 12xp don't per se make players worse, they simply let players that are normally still lingering about 20s-30s hit the cap well before they're ready. It's a good thing to do once, but not as something sustained or frequently recurring.

Edited by Heal-To-Full

There is no reason to expect it will.

They might do some other promotion or some similar promotion, but this was clearly one-time and I wouldn't expect anything like 12x the next time, they did a boost like that because WoW did insta-90.

/Agree.

And whereas the WoW approach is probably the only thing that would work for them as an incentive (given their quests and quest methodology are mind numbingly boring), in the case of SWTOR.. the 12x perk was a great way to showcase one of the best aspects of the game (done better then any MMO too), and given players a smooth way to prep for the new level cap, and encourage some of the F2P population and Preferreds to sub to the game as well.

Edited by Andryah

I kind of regret not levelling a commando or scoundrel and leveling my sage instead, as I already had a Shadow, so if they bring back a reduced event, I would like that very much so that I can see one of the non-force users story lines.

That said, I don't expect it to happen any time soon, if at all, and so I'll probably start leveling a trooper once I get my 3 existing characters to 60 and with decent amounts of gear.

The best idea I've seen/heard is making a toggle for a legacy unlock tied to completion of each class buff... So each buff could toggle a 3x XP boost, unlock all 4 buffs and you can toggle on 12x XP in your legacy menu, and make it legacy level 50 required to access... Best idea I've seen, feel free to disagree...

True.

Many players were clueless enough as it was, even before the Class Story Leveling event. Said event merely helped increase that percentage. :p

And honestly they tend to know more this way because before they were rushed to 55 instead. At lest this way some play on their part is involved.

Edited by Sorwen

It was a special pre-order bonus for subscribers with a specific start and END date.

That is the "Definitive Statement on Future 12x XP Plans". *boggle*

Actually, EM mentioned that he talked to the devs about this, that this might be something good to add to the game as a perk when you complete a character story and get your heroic...so it is sensible to ask if there is any word on that IMO.

Edited by LordArtemis

Let's put it this way:

I was very new to MMO's when I started playing this game (early access on launch) so I picked a bounty hunter and selected the Tanking tree (because I wanted that cool rocket jump).

I leveled up to 50 using that tanking skill tree.

But at lvl 50 I still had no clue how to tank because I had not been tanking during leveling, I had just been fighting NPC's as if I was a DPS.

So no, forcing someone to grind through endless solo content doesn't make them better at using their class.

It just makes them spend longer grinding the same boring stuff before they actually get to learn how to play their class for real.

Search through Eric Musco's posts. He wrote something about an idea he had to make it more permanent. No promises, but if the lead communications guy wants it, and has taken the time to state it and his imagined implementation on the forums, it seems like there's a good chance the developers will at least look into it.

So no, forcing someone to grind through endless solo content doesn't make them better at using their class.

It just makes them spend longer grinding the same boring stuff before they actually get to learn how to play their class for real.

I've got to agree with you on this one.

I firmly believe that the only way a player becomes really good at their class is when presented with a challenge. A challenge that cannot be overcome by merely being okay at their class.

This is unlikely to happen during <50 solo questing as there are so many other ways to handle challenge. Become overleveled, bring a friend, overgear from a rich alt, etc.

Most players that I know (myself included) had only passing familiarity with their class when they hit 50 on their first toon, and only got good once they started hitting HM FPs and could no longer be overleveled and/or overgeared.

When you brought a group of 4 people into a HM 50 wearing ~120 rated gear, you either became skilled, or you wiped.

It doesn't make them much better. A little better simply due to more practice, but not much.

What makes people better at using their class is running group content. Normally, people Q for flashpoints, and not just KDY, run them, be it with randoms or with guildies, encounter challenges (in pugs anything can become such), learn how to play in a group, are told when they're doing something obviously wrong.

Throughout the 2xp event, KDY popped in seconds and everything else in minutes. Throughout 12xp, the GF Qs stayed almost empty. Story content is solo content, if that's all you need to level, that's all most people do.

There is a way to check how much group content one has done. Before, the social rank at 55 was typically around III, now Social I is the norm among fresh 55+ and some haven't even hit the lousy 10 points for the tutorial.

Unlike after 2xp, though, I haven't noticed any difference in the quality of what pugs we pick up, when we do; it seems many newly minted 55+ don't use GF at all for now, you see them on the fleet, not in the Qs.

Search through Eric Musco's posts. He wrote something about an idea he had to make it more permanent. No promises, but if the lead communications guy wants it, and has taken the time to state it and his imagined implementation on the forums, it seems like there's a good chance the developers will at least look into it.

That doesn't really mean much, the Devs themselves have on plenty occasions said they love the idea of X, but whether it ever sees the light of day is another matter.