Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Ask Mr. Robot will not be updated for 3.0

Adhabah

Sent an email to feedback@askmrrobot.com....

"To whom it may concern,

I was wondering if Ask Mr. Robot's gear calculator is going to be updated for 3.0 content. If so, when will it be available to the public?

Thanks for your time,

Runnos"

This was the response from Vee Tegen

"Nope, sorry :("

So anyone else know where there is a gear calculator that will be updated with 3.0?

Edited by Adhabah

Sent an email to feedback@askmrrobot.com....

"To whom it may concern,

I was wondering if Ask Mr. Robot's gear calculator is going to be updated for 3.0 content. If so, when will it be available to the public?

Thanks for your time,

Runnos"

This was the response from Vee Tegen vee@askmrrobot.com

"Nope, sorry :("

So anyone else know where there is a gear calculator that will be updated with 3.0?

Okay, that is a very vague answer you got there. I for one would not be satisfied with just a "nope, sorry."

Im hoping that the "nope, sorry" reply is just a way of saying that it wont be updated anytime soon but will be eventually in the future. Im very surprised that the person you wrote to wasnt a bit more specific. Im sure that Ask Mr Robot will still however cover WoW's new stat squish so why wouldnt it for swtor. Ill go ahead and be optimistic and be willing to bet that they'll indeed update that site one day.

Edited by HiltoftheDragon

Okay, that is a very vague answer you got there. I for one would not be satisfied with just a "nope, sorry."

Im hoping that the "nope, sorry" reply is just a way of saying that it wont be updated anytime soon but will be eventually in the future. Im very surprised that the person you wrote to wasnt a bit more specific. Im sure that Ask Mr Robot will still however cover WoW's new stat squish so why wouldnt it for swtor. Ill go ahead and be optimistic and be willing to bet that they'll indeed update that site one day.

Because WoW allows adds-on that take all the data from gear and where you get and sends it to the site. SWTOR doesn't and the information has to be mainly input and verified. Keeping SWTOR updated takes a lot more work than it does WoW.

Edited by Warrgames

Because WoW allows adds-on that take all the data from gear and where you get and sends it to the site. SWTOR doesn't and the information has to be mainly input and verified. Keeping SWTOR updated takes a lot more work than it does WoW.

Thats why i said...."one day." Im well aware that it takes a ton of work but that doesnt mean it wont ever happen. I guess we shall see down the road.

as far as i was aware, amrt has been open source for swtor for quite a while. if you asked the site, they would have told you no, since they havent done any swtor work in a long time. you should ask in the amr forums, where the open source people work on the swtor database.

as far as i was aware, amrt has been open source for swtor for quite a while. if you asked the site, they would have told you no, since they havent done any swtor work in a long time. you should ask in the amr forums, where the open source people work on the swtor database.

Good idea

I actually sent them a follow up email asking why. They said that they were just a 3 man team with one developer, and they didn't even play swtor anymore, and because all that info had to be manually entered, they just didn't find it worth their time. They said the only reason they left it up at all was because it was the only one of its kind that they knew of. They also said that they did make it open source over a year ago, but that there weren't many people doing anything with it. I took the advice of another poster here and asked in the AMR forums if anyone was planning on updating it. Will let you know if i find anything else out.

• 1 month later...

See here:

I found this Thread in the AMR Forum, but there was no response that somebody is working on it.

So my Question is: Is anybody here who is working on the open source version or isn't anybody left?

Not so surprising but very sad however. Well i guess, i'll have to update my personnal "amr" until a new site come up for this intend.

Same, my Gear Grinder I've modified for every game since Asheron's Call lol. It's a hell of a lot of work though. AMR was nice.

This, plus they make money by having traffic come to the site, WoW has ~8 million last I looked (which wasn't recently, so I might be off by a lot) and SWTOR has maybe 1 million. Obviously not enough SWTOR players were using to tool so they don't feel that its worth the effort to do a lot of manual work to get it updated.

At the end of the day AMR is a business and they need to make decisions that are fiscally sound for the business.

This, plus they make money by having traffic come to the site, WoW has ~8 million last I looked (which wasn't recently, so I might be off by a lot) and SWTOR has maybe 1 million. Obviously not enough SWTOR players were using to tool so they don't feel that its worth the effort to do a lot of manual work to get it updated.

At the end of the day AMR is a business and they need to make decisions that are fiscally sound for the business.

That's why they made it open source a year ago. Now we need only some people who know what to do.

That's why they made it open source a year ago. Now we need only some people who know what to do.

Exactly.

I keep hearing that it is open source, but I cannot find any way to contribute data entry.

Maybe the process of converting it to open source was never completed?

Edited by Khevar

There are tools to automatically get gear info from the SWTOR assets. In-game add-ons would be far less useful than looking at the complete details in the asset files.

That project covers:

1. Character stat calculations

2. Item drop locations

It doesn't include any way to update the AMR databases with 3.0 data.

According to this Thread on the AMR-Forum, that's the official Open Source Project. Is it possible, that with the item drop location, it finds the item in the data?

Edited by Nostroo
spelling

According to this Thread on the AMR-Forum, that's the official Open Source Project. Is it possible, that with the item drop location, it finds the iem in the data?

Someone could use this as a starting point to build their own website from scratch, I guess.

I was hoping that "open source" referred to the ability to update the existing AMR website.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.