The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Star Wars 7 Official Trailer!

JidaiDerriphan

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realise that the "Stormtrooper" could actually be one of the good guys who pulled a Luke with regards to Stormtrooper armor? ;)

Ex Trooper, actually, that just went AWOL when he found Luke's saber and realized he can use the force.

Nothing like being a fugitive from your own Empire's Inquisitors...

Oh, I'm sorry.

*SPOILERS*

:D

You do realise that the "Stormtrooper" could actually be one of the good guys who pulled a Luke with regards to Stormtrooper armor? ;)

I do :p But I'm still hopeful that this new trilogy is all about the Empire, its heroes, and their heroic struggle against those Rebel anarchists! :D

Yay, they're adding another lightsaber design that's at least as dangerous to the wielder as it is to the opponent.

Also... beware the lens flare...

What is with you guys and all your "that saber is dumb" and "that is so dangerous it's dumb" spunk?

LS's have always been incredibly dangerous to wield without some training to not cut off your own body parts. How is a saber guard not a practical thing? You don't think Jedi/Sith wouldn't be able to adjust to being aware of that part?

Overall I really don't like the look of it, but the crossguard has been in expanded lore for a long time and fits well enough. LS are after all designed by personal preference as they aren't mass produced.

And of all the things for peeps to get all uppity about in star wars is a lightsaber guard? What about the worst thing ever added and most un-star wars ever is the Yuuzhan Vong. Sure it is expanded U, but I would rather see people complain about that than some crossguard which is fine.

/rant off

What is with you guys and all your "that saber is dumb" and "that is so dangerous it's dumb" spunk?

LS's have always been incredibly dangerous to wield without some training to not cut off your own body parts. How is a saber guard not a practical thing? You don't think Jedi/Sith wouldn't be able to adjust to being aware of that part?

Overall I really don't like the look of it, but the crossguard has been in expanded lore for a long time and fits well enough. LS are after all designed by personal preference as they aren't mass produced.

And of all the things for peeps to get all uppity about in star wars is a lightsaber guard? What about the worst thing ever added and most un-star wars ever is the Yuuzhan Vong. Sure it is expanded U, but I would rather see people complain about that than some crossguard which is fine.

/rant off

The YV aren't in this movie, or in this trailer.

Another terrible saber design is.

A normal saber doesn't have extra bits that are more likely to injure the wielder than the opponent, the staff and this new one do.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

The YV aren't in this movie, or in this trailer.

Another terrible saber design is.

A normal saber doesn't have extra bits that are more likely to the wielder than the opponent, the staff and this new one do.

I agree that the LS looks not so good to me, but the guard would be practical, aka hence why swords have cross-guards. These ones could be dangerous to a normal person wielding it, but then again a LS already is as is. Jedi/Sith are enabled via force to better wield them without danger.

But I really don't think it has to look awesome just because. If it fits the character then all the better.

As for this game adding cross-guards, well I think it would fit and be welcome, though I won't be using any that look anything like that.

I think that the guard suits the general 'feel' of the saber: less finnesse and more Power. I think he will be using quite a few damaging moves with it (and maybe poking someones eyes out with the guard :p ). The sound and animation of the Saber also give out that overtuned-powered vibe. he's clearly not gonna fight like a jedi ;) .

too bad I'll only know for sure when the movie comes out... :D

Can't wait!!

*sqeeee* :rak_04:

So, what if the Sith is actually Luke skywalker? The way he walks and moves, I have the feeling that it could be Mark Hamill. Also the details about how the sith looks like someone who have been in exile for a long long time.

Luke was the last Know Jedi in the galaxy after Episode VI and the last sith, ¨palpatine¨, was defeated with his last apprentice Darth Vader.

I have the Felling the Luke skywalker wont be the bright and good Jedi that everyone is waiting.

Edited by skygon

I don't think practicality or realism had much to do with the new cruciform saber. I'm thinking gimmick. With that being said, which fool though it would be a good idea to include that in the first trailer for the film? Did no one figure that it would dominate the discussion of the overall trailer? I suppose it had a role in the video of showing off a new "exciting" reveal, but I'm sure they could have chosen something better and waited until the full trailer to showcase that.

I agree that the LS looks not so good to me, but the guard would be practical, aka hence why swords have cross-guards. These ones could be dangerous to a normal person wielding it, but then again a LS already is as is. Jedi/Sith are enabled via force to better wield them without danger.

But I really don't think it has to look awesome just because. If it fits the character then all the better.

As for this game adding cross-guards, well I think it would fit and be welcome, though I won't be using any that look anything like that.

A normal lightsaber is roughly as safe to use as a normal sword, without any of this nonsense about "only force-users can safely use a saber" that gets dragged in. The blade is entirely pointed away from the user, and only something that forces it back against the user makes it a threat. Being a force-user increases one's abilities with the thing, and makes it safer, but it's not like you're instantly going to kill or main yourself just turning it on and swinging it around.

A saber-staff or the thing in the trailer is inherently dangerous to the wielder, at least as dangerous has it is to an opponent. Just turning those weapons on and moving them around immediately has active lightsaber blades in direct danger of making contact with body parts, and a force-user has to dedicate some of his own concentration to not hitting himself with it.

Watch someone wield a normal staff or sword, and pay very close attention to how much of what they do would be instant death or maiming with one of these goofy "rule of cool" weapons.

Furthermore, the crossguard shown is almost useless, as the opponent can simply cut down through the non-saber section at the base of each guard and slice it off.

Luke was the last Know Jedi in the galaxy after Episode VI and the last sith, ¨palpatine¨, was defeated with his last apprentice Darth Vader.

Well, as far as I know, Asajj Ventress and Ahsoka Tano are both unaccounted for, as is Darth Maul - judging by the end of the Clone Wars animation series. Furthermore, from the Star Wars Rebels series, we have Kanan as a Jedi Knight and Ezra as his Padawan learner. Since the series has only just begun, we don't know how they'll end up by the time of the movies, either. And of course, there's plenty of room for more 'hidden' Jedi who have avoided detection by the Imperial Inquisitors who are hunting them.

Quite frankly, I am not sure if Luke Skywalker is the last remaining Jedi / Sith at the end of Return of the Jedi.

I don't think it's a crossguard at all. I think it's a heat vent. I think the saber is rudimentary and we are looking at someone who is searching for more knowledge of the Sith. Those look like flames coming out, not an extension of the sword. Just my theory. It had a very ragged look and sound, as of something that was pieced together.

overall I liked the trailer, it was only just a few shots, Daisy looks pretty cute in the one shot we have, the stormtroopers look sleek (and the armor evolution looks good and makes sense - did you notice the scopes on the rifles?). I think it's far too early for anyone to make any judgements or to be upset over anything. no wonder JJ keeps such tight wraps on things.

Also I liked the Falcon's updated rectangular dish.