Permanently remove companion gear.

Warrgames

Get stuffed, my companions carry my alternative gear sets

As to your "example" of losing Kaliyo, I have leveled 3 agents and never used her for anything other than the base worlds, if you need a tank on Corelia Scorpio can manage even in her base gear without upgrading anything

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the OP... YES PLEASE!! Trying to gear 5 companions is annoying, which means we're normally stuck only using 1 or two. I'd love to be able to pop out any of my companions depending on the situation. As is, I have companions that I've never used and probably never will thanks to not being able to gear all of them (I have 9 level 55s...I can't gear 45 companions....)

Get stuffed, my companions carry my alternative gear sets

They could still allow companions to wear gear. But, instead of using that sets stats, the companions stats would be based off your own. This would open up so much more game play choices to the player base. I bet a very small portion of the player base actually have all of their companions in good gear across all of their alts.

This change would actually make companions useful. As is, it's basically gear the healer or tank and forget you have any others.

Maybe something working like the bolster system could satisfy both sides? Companion stats could be bolstered to a certain limit according to the player level and those who want to max out stats on their companions can still opt for blue or purple gear to maximize their favorite companion's usefulness.

Presence is a nice thing, but with the current system its lowest when it's needed most. (I.e. first characters with no/little legacy bonus and supporting crafters.)

Edited by KyaniteD

I don't understand the complaints about having to gear a companion you never use in order to complete a class story mission. Go on the GTN and buy green armor of your companion's stats/level and you'll be able to complete your quest in probably under 20k.

I actually kind of understand the point of the original argument and it stands to mention some advantages:

Everyone is on the same page in terms of companion power (this isn't good or bad, it just would be true)

Less time gearing up companions (assuming they auto level and get more powerful as time goes on)

Less money spent on green gear, less time spent staring at the GTN, more time leveling

There are way too many negatives though:

Gearing companions can be interesting and its fun to try and make a really bad *** companion that is better than everyone else's companion

Companions create a market for green gear

Pulls money out of the economy/money sink

More RPG in an RPG

Might not be a good thing to mention it, but...

Money sinks do more harm by supporting the gold selling industry, than any positive effect they may have.

Money sinks have to exist in every MMO. Your assumption is wrong. If money sinks don't exist the economy dies very quickly. Unlike the real world, money is essentially unlimited in MMOs and sinks make sure inflation doesn't go berserk.

Rofl, OP is complaining about Trooper companion gear...the one class in the game that virtually all your companions can share the exact same set of gear.

Four out of five (or five of six if you include Treek) is not "virtually all."

Droid companions like M1-4X cannot wear people-specific gears.

I have 10 alts and counting.

Gearing the companions with even green gear is a no go.

.... 1000-8000 credit greens are a problem ??? ... your not making the right amount of money in dailies or crewskills then. I am pulling 900k to 1.5 million credits per day sitting in fleet in general chat running crew skills only.

Rofl, OP is complaining about Trooper companion gear...the one class in the game that virtually all your companions can share the exact same set of gear.

ROFL at the guy that can't read and understand...

The issue is when doing some quest your companion becomes unavailable therefore you can simple move gear. If you bothered to read the OP you see that I talked about the Agent too. Thanks for posting.:rak_03:

Edited by Warrgames

Currently, even if someone did spend the enormous amount time and credits to gear 50+ companions, they would have to start all over once the patch hits. Hence the biggest issue. There's simply no point in gearing any companions with the exception of your healing and maybe tank if you are a healer. Which means there are tons of content that people are locked out of needlessly. And the only counter I'm really hearing is the typical elitist "I've spent a lot of time and credits gearing mine and you should have to do the same!!" stuff. Would it really hurt your feelings if everyone could choose their current companion based off how they want to play at that particular time instead of being forced to only use which ever one they've been able to gear? Seriously?

Currently, even if someone did spend the enormous amount time and credits to gear 50+ companions, they would have to start all over once the patch hits. Hence the biggest issue. There's simply no point in gearing any companions with the exception of your healing and maybe tank if you are a healer. Which means there are tons of content that people are locked out of needlessly. And the only counter I'm really hearing is the typical elitist "I've spent a lot of time and credits gearing mine and you should have to do the same!!" stuff. Would it really hurt your feelings if everyone could choose their current companion based off how they want to play at that particular time instead of being forced to only use which ever one they've been able to gear? Seriously?

No content is locked out from companion gearing. And as a Commando who leveled and does dailies using Aric Jorgan (a dps companion) your statement regarding only using heals or tank companions is false.

And there would be economic impacts to the change being proposed, not just elitism.

Since I'm Cybetech and have an artifice and biochem alt, all of my companions are fully geared in 148's when I hit 55. No muss no fuss!

Edited by Vember

No content is locked out from companion gearing. And as a Commando who leveled and does dailies using Aric Jorgan (a dps companion) your statement regarding only using heals or tank companions is false.

And there would be economic impacts to the change being proposed, not just elitism.

Economic impacts? Are you seriously using the game economy as a reason to make certain content hard to reach for most players in a game that basically allows gold buying (Buy from CM - > sell on GTN).

Taking away the tiny green gear market so people have more variety wouldn't do a thing to the economy. And other than variety, the OPs suggested change would also help the games community by getting rid a common reason for people to need on everything that drops for companions.

Edited by Galbatorrix

Economic impacts? Are you seriously using the game economy as a reason to make certain content hard to reach for most players in a game that basically allows gold buying (Buy from CM - > sell on GTN).

Taking away the tiny green gear market so people have more variety wouldn't do a thing to the economy. And other than variety, the OPs suggested change would also help the games community by getting rid a common reason for people to need on everything that drops for companions.

There is not one shred of content that is hard to reach for the majority of players as a result of companions.

For other reasons, perhaps... but not because of choosing one companion over another.

Edited by azudelphi

There is not one shred of content that is hard to reach for the majority of players as a result of companions.

For other reasons, perhaps... but not because of choosing one companion over another.

Companions themselves are the content I'm referring to. Most players choose a companion (normally the tank or healer) and stick to it. Not because they hate all the rest either. The OPs suggestion would make switching companions every now and again for FUN possible without the huge time/credit sink. Right now, it's not even worth gearing them.

So again, making companions scale with the player would allow players to pop out any companion they want at any time. Which would allow for more variety, strategy and over all enjoyment. The current system is fine for people who have one character or two. Personally, I have 16. 9 of which are level 55. So the current system is horrible for someone like me.

Edited by Galbatorrix

Companions themselves are the content I'm referring to. Most players choose a companion (normally the tank or healer) and stick to it. Not because they hate all the rest either. The OPs suggestion would make switching companions every now and again for FUN possible without the huge time/credit sink. Right now, it's nor even worth gearing them.

If you want to use them, then there is worth to gearing them.

There is no huge credit sink to using them... you can gear them through your missions on a planet, gear from comms, or buying on the GTN (and as many have said, don't have to gear them in full purples for them to be effective; a couple thousand per slot at most). You can also give them a boost through presence items from cantinas, presence stims, and can use companion / player shared medpacks. For the real toughie fights you also have heroic moment in your pocket.

There are plenty of resources to make a companion worth more than their gear level.

As such this thread seems to be mostly about not wanting to spend credits, which is a weak reason for a systemic change.

Edited by azudelphi

Currently, even if someone did spend the enormous amount time and credits to gear 50+ companions, they would have to start all over once the patch hits. Hence the biggest issue. There's simply no point in gearing any companions with the exception of your healing and maybe tank if you are a healer.

What part of "Bound to legacy" gear do you not understand?

And I generally make gearing my melee DPS companions my top priority. It makes fights go faster. If I need a tank or healer, I just use Treek In BtL aim gear, much though I loath the little varmint.

??? You seem to disapprove of buying from the CM and selling on the GTN, yet you want to make it non-viable for people to sell green armor they don't pay a cent of real money for. Totally logical.

Btw, people will still ninja loot armor even if companions can go naked.

I dunno... I have 22 alts and each has one geared companion. I didn't have to do anything dramatic to achieve a geared companion. I never used Khem Val on my 6 inquisitors and never had an issue quickly getting him some decent-ish gear before the class story quest where you have to use him.

The thing is, in this game, your companion is basically an extension of your own stats, sooo... you might as well complain about needing stats on our gear at all, IMO.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.