As a Story Tourist who just came for the 12x XP class stories, so frustrated. :(

Televangelist

You did Kill Ten Rats quests in KOTOR 1/2? lol why

I think he may be confusing this with Dragon Age: Origins, where killing Ten Rats was the very first quest I did in the game ... and the game immediately hung a lampshade on it deriding how silly it was.

Except in this case, the target market I represent *is* a special snowflake, from the financial perspective of BioWare. Feel free to keep crying about it, though?

It really isn't, no. Most players making use of the pre-order bonus xp are current subs or returning players -- people who used to be subscribed, but now aren't, and may have left altogether. You spending so much money on the Cartel Market is nice, but it's barely anything in the grand scheme of thing. If it WAS aimed at new players (or story tourists), there would be much more incentive to keep playing and they would have added some kind of gear scaling.

Edited by DogeDandolo

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but you do not represent massive profit in any way. You'll come spend maybe 100-200 experiance the storylines then are gone.

1. As a sub for a year i spend 180 (on current exchange rates that is 287 in your currency) on sub, plus have purchased two expansions. So in one year as a sub that is more than any story tourist will spend.

Except there are potentially dozens or hundreds of me for every person like you. And keeping you satisfied requires extensive ongoing investment, whereas keeping me satisfied costs basically nothing.

2. All the storylines can be done as a free player, you do not need to spend anything at all to do them. Yeah there is the free play char slot restrictions but since you just wanna see the stories and leave you can just delete and remake to bypass that. Where is the profit exactly in something that story tourists can get for free?

That would take an insane amount of time. Who the hell has time for the standard MMO leveling grind once they're out of high school? Most people value their time more highly than that.

Except in this case, the target market I represent *is* a special snowflake, from the financial perspective of BioWare. Feel free to keep crying about it, though?

Well as unique as a special snowflake is, it'd be utterly worthless to a business to try to cater to your desires.

It really isn't, no. Most players making use of the pre-order bonus xp are returning players -- people who used to be subscribed, but now aren't, and may have left altogether. You spending so much money on the Cartel Market is nice, but it's barely anything in the grand scheme of thing. If it WAS aimed at new players (or story tourists), there would be much more incentive to keep playing and they would have added some kind of gear scaling.

'Who ended up taking advantage of the offer due to it being poorly structured' and 'what is the potential audience for such an offer if it's properly structured' are two very different things.

I've Googled plenty -- but there's all sorts of conflicting information out there from different eras of the game, and lots of information about how to do endgame stuff or gear up for big group content, but extremely little about "what's the required gear/approach for handling story content bosses solo," because that wasn't really a meaningful or major playstyle prior to the 12x patch, and nobody's writing guides to "here's what your character should have at level 20".

Simply stated: Your modifications (armor upgrades, modification, enhancements, hilt/barrel) should be the same level your character is and you normally don't need to upgrade except around every 2-4 levels. I would craft items 2 levels above mine and my boyfriend's level depending on the gear.

Some upgrades you will need to wait for 4 levels above. Normally if you are the same level as the missions on the plant you could use the comms you get for the missions for both you and your companion but you are going to need to do more than the class missions to get enough comms for that.

You did Kill Ten Rats quests in KOTOR 1/2? lol why

You never played pazaak just to do it? You never helped some random NPC you met in a cantina? Welcome to the availability of FPs, heroics, side quests, planetary questlines, warzones, companion stories, etc. There are a lot of stories in both KOTOR and SWTOR that you can skip completely, but you don't have to. It's not about the 10 rats you killed, but the story behind it.

It's been a long time since I've played KOTOR, but as an example I could use Mass Effect. In ME 2, you get the option to help the cook on your ship by getting some ingredients. You can certainly beat the game without doing so, it has nothing to do with the overall storyline, but you do it for the story and some extra rewards. SWTOR is built the same way.

The target audience is whoever the 12x XP promo appealed to enough to have both an active sub and pre-order by the specified date. It is not specific to new, reactivated, or current subs specifically, but rather all...

However, expecting anything beyond the stated benefits based on your current sub status is unreasonable and unfair.

As someone has stated, you need a more helpful guild, probably one with voice chat that can talk you through some basic mechanics and the game's economy / cartel market a bit better.

Actually no. To bioware all customers are the same. They do not have a preference on customers as long as they are

(1) A subscriber

(2) Purchasing cartel coins

They do not classify any group as special. To them they are all the same and that is how all business classify their customers.

Yep, and you get to lvl 50 or 55 and don't really have any idea what you're doing.

Then you queue for a warzone or a flashpoint and bumble around like an idiot.

Why on earth would we want to do warzones or flashpoints? the actual "MMO content" in SWTOR is terribad, worse than vanilla WoW back in the day. We'll do that stuff in games where the gameplay is actually *good*.

Except there are potentially dozens or hundreds of me for every person like you. And keeping you satisfied requires extensive ongoing investment, whereas keeping me satisfied costs basically nothing.

That would take an insane amount of time. Who the hell has time for the standard MMO leveling grind once they're out of high school? Most people value their time more highly than that.

Actually my boyfriend and I have level the old fashioned way and yes it is taking time but then again we don't play every day as well and we enjoy leveling up together and we are both full time college students and work as well.

Why on earth would we want to do warzones or flashpoints? the actual "MMO content" in SWTOR is terribad, worse than vanilla WoW back in the day. We'll do that stuff in games where the gameplay is actually *good*.

As someone who played vanilla wow back in the day... I'd call this assessment incorrect.

I've Googled plenty -- but there's all sorts of conflicting information out there from different eras of the game, and lots of information about how to do endgame stuff or gear up for big group content, but extremely little about "what's the required gear/approach for handling story content bosses solo," because that wasn't really a meaningful or major playstyle prior to the 12x patch, and nobody's writing guides to "here's what your character should have at level 20".

Um, because no one has to... Story Bosses aren't hard... You're either undergeared or underleveled...

Fix whatever the problem is and they become easy.

Actually, the info on what was required before 12x xp is pretty much the same as it is with 12x xp if you don't have higher level characters who can support the characters you're leveling. You still need the gear as you level and therefore the credits and comms. Remember, your companion needs to be geared, too.

Try Youtube for videos on how fights go and what you need to do for them, which companion to use, etc. Look at Dulfy.net for info. Find players you can group with for content that is beyond what your character can do alone. And above all, remember to have fun while you play.

As someone who played vanilla wow back in the day... I'd call this assessment incorrect.

I mean, WoW has never been a particularly good game. It was actually a step backwards in many key respects from earlier superior MMOs like UO and Asheron's Call. But the core gameplay wasn't as bad as this.

Who the hell has time for the standard MMO leveling grind once they're out of high school? Most people value their time more highly than that.

There is no standard MMO leveling grind in this game - any more than there was in KotOR, or DA:O, or Mass Effect.

Actually, the info on what was required before 12x xp is pretty much the same as it is with 12x xp if you don't have higher level characters who can support the characters you're leveling. You still need the gear as you level and therefore the credits and comms. Remember, your companion needs to be geared, too.

Try Youtube for videos on how fights go and what you need to do for them, which companion to use, etc. Look at Dulfy.net for info. Find players you can group with for content that is beyond what your character can do alone. And above all, remember to have fun while you play.

Dulfy.net guides are aimed at endgame and group content, not completing the story content.

Oh really? I would like to know how you have come to this conclusion when you have not even attempted to try it yet?

In that case, enjoy your story quests, have a nice day...

I mean, WoW has never been a particularly good game. It was actually a step backwards in many key respects from earlier superior MMOs like UO and Asheron's Call. But the core gameplay wasn't as bad as this.

Then why are you here?

You're just trolling now, either that or you just like being difficult...

The core gameplay here is actually pretty good. The system work, although it takes some learning to figure it out.

You asked about Warzones and Flashpoints. Warzones are good XP if you are into PVP, and the low brackets tend to be a lot more fun than the endgame play. Flashpoints are good XP and good gear drops. If you can't make gear, they are a good place to get better gear. They're also a good place to see how well you are doing learning the play for your class.

The end flashpoints and operations are quite fun if you have a good group of friends and/guild to do it with.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.