[Important] Moving while Casting and Stopcasting Keybind

madtycoon

Please add a separate stopcasting keybind when you add casting while moving into the game.

There are two ways to cancel your cast prematurely. Moving or hitting the ESC key.

The ESC key is inconvenient. You cannot spam it without losing target or popping up your main menu. It's not designed for stopping casts. Casting while moving is great for the game, but it also takes away the best way to cancel casts.

This is important for PvP and PvE. I am not only talking about fake casting.

There are boss and mob encounters that have reflect or immunity mechanics. You need to be able to conveniently cancel your cast in those situations.

It is more important for PvP and should be in the game already with the way sniper and cover is designed.

PvP scenario. Sniper uses knockback and starts casting ambush. Guardian pops saber reflect, but cannot leap because sniper is in cover. Sniper needs to cancel his ambush cast. He can't move or he will be leaped. This is where a stopcasting keybind is required.

3.0 Thundering blast while moving. Shadow pops resilience during the cast. Not only are you wasting time finishing your cast, but you are also putting your heavy hitter on cooldown.

Game will need a stopcasting keybind even more in 3.0.

What's this? A logical non-whiny post about a potential problem in the upcoming expansion? Am I still in the PvP forums?

Good question, if there is no other way to stop a cast (I usually jump or move slightly) they should add one as a QoL improvement in 3.0.

how about hitting any of your instant abilility keybinds? E.g. your free basic attack saber strike (for consular). Today that will interrupt your cast even when the target is 20m away.

(actually I don't know this but if I state it as a fact someone will test it so they can tell me that I'm wrong)

how about hitting any of your instant abilility keybinds? E.g. your free basic attack saber strike (for consular). Today that will interrupt your cast even when the target is 20m away.

(actually I don't know this but if I state it as a fact someone will test it so they can tell me that I'm wrong)

This will burn a global and Sage/Sorcs have no free auto attack (no ranged one anyway). Closest they come is Shock/Project but that would be countered as well by Shroud.

EDIT: Would you also need to wait for the global triggered by whatever you started casting to finish before being able to use a different ability to cancel?

Edited by Capt_Beers

Please add a separate stopcasting keybind when you add casting while moving into the game.

There are two ways to cancel your cast prematurely. Moving or hitting the ESC key.

The ESC key is inconvenient. You cannot spam it without losing target or popping up your main menu. It's not designed for stopping casts. Casting while moving is great for the game, but it also takes away the best way to cancel casts.

This is important for PvP and PvE. I am not only talking about fake casting.

There are boss and mob encounters that have reflect or immunity mechanics. You need to be able to conveniently cancel your cast in those situations.

It is more important for PvP and should be in the game already with the way sniper and cover is designed.

PvP scenario. Sniper uses knockback and starts casting ambush. Guardian pops saber reflect, but cannot leap because sniper is in cover. Sniper needs to cancel his ambush cast. He can't move or he will be leaped. This is where a stopcasting keybind is required.

3.0 Thundering blast while moving. Shadow pops resilience during the cast. Not only are you wasting time finishing your cast, but you are also putting your heavy hitter on cooldown.

Game will need a stopcasting keybind even more in 3.0.

Good post... So many times on my sniper this happens...

Simple solution.

Jump.

Since any ability you can use now while moving you can also use while jumping I would have to assume the cast will continue through a jump.

This also doesn't help out Snipers since jumping would break their cover as well as possibly taking them out of Entrench.

A hot key to cancel a cast seems warranted according to the information we have about how the mechanics will function.

Edited by Capt_Beers

Jumping would work as well.

For snipers in cover... you really shouldn't be moving to do your deeps in the first place. It's diff for sorcs cuz lightning.

The example the OP gave was a Sniper casting Ambush. During the cast his target pops Reflect. ESC is an inconvenient key to reach for. It's not going to shift the balance of the game if players can bind a hot key to cancel casts. IT's a QoL improvement.

This is one of those issues that will prove whether BioWare does even basic testing of new abilities in pvp situations or if they simply get an idea, test it out in pve, and call it a day.

Any class with a casting ability would immediately notice the disadvantage of not being able to stop their own cast while doing any form of pvp. I'm excited to see just how little BioWare pays attention to pvp.

Edited by SmashPony

This is one of those issues that will prove whether BioWare does even basic testing of new abilities in pvp situations or if they simply get an idea, test it out in pve, and call it a day.

Any class with a casting ability would immediately notice the disadvantage of not being able to interrupt a cast while doing any form of pvp. I'm excited to see just how little BioWare pays attention to pvp.

Yeah interrupts on long cool downs will be interesting... How do you stop that Sorc from casting continuous force lightning at you so you can escape the slow effect... I understand nerfing the stuns... But interrupts??

Guess we'll have to see how that works...

I think we all know the answer as to wether they do testing in pvp... Most of the beta testing is being done by Operations people... I guess if it works in PVE... It should work in pvp... LoL... And by having an NDA in place the small amount of pvp testers can't bring their concerns here so we can explain to Bio why something won't work in pvp

We know bio really only focus on making PVE work... PVP is a secondary consideration...

If there are problems with the expansion... The PVE people will get first priority... That may take weeks or months to fix... Then they'll try fixing pvp...

Let's hope they can roll out the expansion and it works out of the box

Yeah interrupts on long cool downs will be interesting... How do you stop that Sorc from casting continuous force lightning at you so you can escape the slow effect... I understand nerfing the stuns... But interrupts??

Guess we'll have to see how that works...

I think we all know the answer as to wether they do testing in pvp... Most of the beta testing is being done by Operations people... I guess if it works in PVE... It should work in pvp... LoL... And by having an NDA in place the small amount of pvp testers can't bring their concerns here so we can explain to Bio why something won't work in pvp

We know bio really only focus on making PVE work... PVP is a secondary consideration...

If there are problems with the expansion... The PVE people will get first priority... That may take weeks or months to fix... Then they'll try fixing pvp...

Let's hope they can roll out the expansion and it works out of the box

There are still plenty of way to interrupt casters. Leaps, pulls, KB's, any type of CC plus the normal interrupt leave plenty of tools for casters to be interrupted. Plus forcing them to move, each spec is only getting movable casting on one ability so it's not like they can never stop moving.

Stopcasting would be great

We need stop casting.

Example: You start casting whirlwind on a sorc coming out of barrier to cc him right when he's out. But you realize you've started too early. You need a way to be able to interupt your own cast without blowing a global cooldown.

Also everyone makes mistakes, and sometimes if you start to cast an ability but want to correct your mistake, in pvp you have to have a simple way to do that other than blowing another ability. And those are just a couple situations.

If they did any testing of 3.0 in pvp situations they would have immediately come across issues like this

There are still plenty of way to interrupt casters. Leaps, pulls, KB's, any type of CC plus the normal interrupt leave plenty of tools for casters to be interrupted. Plus forcing them to move, each spec is only getting movable casting on one ability so it's not like they can never stop moving.

That depends on the class... Not all classes have multiple abilities... I use my interrupt a lot more on my Sorc to stop other Sorc/sage, than stuns... I know we will have the ability to have an instant whirlwind again... But you don't always want to pop a stun and give them resolve if they have already been stunned... Also what if for some dumb reason you are out of force... You are trying to stop that capper and can't get to him in time to use your sabre... Considering all dots won't be cleansable now... I think interrupting that DOT caster as they are about to pop that DOT cast in their rotation is essential... Really I don't understand why interrupts are being changed at all??... They can't really effect the games mechanics in PVE that much, can they??... Its a PVE expansion... But the PvP community will pay for nerfed interrupts

That depends on the class... Not all classes have multiple abilities... I use my interrupt a lot more on my Sorc to stop other Sorc/sage, than stuns... I know we will have the ability to have an instant whirlwind again... But you don't always want to pop a stun and give them resolve if they have already been stunned... Also what if for some dumb reason you are out of force... You are trying to stop that capper and can't get to him in time to use your sabre... Considering all dots won't be cleansable now... I think interrupting that DOT caster as they are about to pop that DOT cast in their rotation is essential... Really I don't understand why interrupts are being changed at all??... They can't really effect the games mechanics in PVE that much, can they??... Its a PVE expansion... But the PvP community will pay for nerfed interrupts

So is your hypothetical situation one where you are trying to interrupt a cap and you are completely out of force and for some reason are not regening it and you are too close to dead to use Consume/Noble Sacrifice and your interrupt is on CD and speed must be on CD too otherwise you would easily be able to reach them? That is such an edge case it's not worth discussing.

I don't know how it will be in 3.0 with movable casts as well as any other buffs to cast protection but for a long time melee ruled the roost due to the power of interrupts, both specific ability as well as the many other ways to interrupt. Back in the earlier days getting a cast off as Commando once a Mara set his sights on you way very difficult, especially since at that point Anni was quite popular with it's lower CD on the interrupt and no range leap. At that point in the game I would say absolutely the CD of interrupt should go up because it was so easy to shut down all range with the exception of Snipers, who are immune to interrupts.

At this point I don't know if it is as needed. It might balance it self out with other changes coming in 3.0. Other classes might get CD reductions/resets (I have heard all Juggs will be able to get the interrupt reset on leap in utilities) or other ways to interrupt. The game is balanced around a group setting so if interrupts are a big concern for you you may just have to roll with a Jugg.

You are right to be concerned but I wouldn't sweat it too much until we know more.

Edited by Capt_Beers

We need stop casting.

Example: You start casting whirlwind on a sorc coming out of barrier to cc him right when he's out. But you realize you've started too early. You need a way to be able to interupt your own cast without blowing a global cooldown.

Also everyone makes mistakes, and sometimes if you start to cast an ability but want to correct your mistake, in pvp you have to have a simple way to do that other than blowing another ability. And those are just a couple situations.

If they did any testing of 3.0 in pvp situations they would have immediately come across issues like this

Your example is wrong and the OP is concerned over very little. The utility in question* affects 1 skill in each spec for Sorcs, I imagine it would be the same for all classes that recieve a similar perk. Since both DPS skills are 1.5s activation times, it would be no worse than activating an instant ability. The biggest change is that you now HAVE to interrupt a healer casting innervate to kill their procs rather than just forcing them to run away from you. They'll be able to cast Innervate, instant cast Revivification, instant cast Dark Heal all on the move.

*Utility in question - Force Mobility: Thundering Blast, Innervate, and Force Leech may be activated while moving.

Your example is wrong and the OP is concerned over very little. The utility in question* affects 1 skill in each spec for Sorcs, I imagine it would be the same for all classes that recieve a similar perk. Since both DPS skills are 1.5s activation times, it would be no worse than activating an instant ability. The biggest change is that you now HAVE to interrupt a healer casting innervate to kill their procs rather than just forcing them to run away from you. They'll be able to cast Innervate, instant cast Revivification, instant cast Dark Heal all on the move.

*Utility in question - Force Mobility: Thundering Blast, Innervate, and Force Leech may be activated while moving.

My example is wrong? Lol based on what grounds, because you have an entirely different argument to make and therefore all other ideas and incorrect?

I have personally been in the exact situation described. If I were forced to blow a second global cooldown just to stop an ability I don't want to use, that's a problem.

I get the feeling you neither understand what I'm talking about, nor what the entire point of the thread is. We're not talking about being able to interrupt someone else casting, or whether or not it's going to be harder to stop someone casting with a move-while-casting ability (which obviously it will be), we're talking about being able to stop your own casts.

You're kind of like the atheist who starts yelling about the lack of proof of a god at a debate about global warming

Per the stream today, if you want to stop casting, you press ESC. That's the only way if you have the ability to cast while moving unless you want to blow a cool down with an ability that will interrupt your cast (not all will.)

Oh well.

Other games solve this problem with macros. Either a separate keybind or macroing stopcast to an aoe casted ability like force quake.

/stopcasting

/cast force quake

Because force quake will not start casting or put you on global until you place the aoe. We don't have macros. The only option I see is to add a separate keybind for stopcasting.

There is a workaround though that I use when playing a sniper. Stopcasting is bound somewhere else when I play WoW, so ESC is inconvenient for me. I remap another key on my keyboard to ESC for when I play SWTOR. I'm sure you could map it to one of the side buttons on a razor naga or something. It still won't let you spam the key without losing your target and bringing up the main menu screen, but its better than nothing. Adding it to jump wouldn't work, because you have to jump over obstacles to kite sometimes.

In the chance there wont be a keybind you can easily use Autohotkey to bind ESC to a new key of choice. I currently swap left ctrl with left alt with an Autohotkey script because holding ctrl locks the free view camera in place while I hold ctrl.