The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Any way to turn off 12XP Boost?

Sictur

So, I just recently got into this game, and am loving it so far. The story is amazing, and I don't feel as if it is a grind to level. I subscribed, and plan on playing with a couple of my friends starting this week, and planned on continuing to play the upcoming expansion, and, seeing as how I had a bit of extra money, I preordered the expac so it would be one more thing I wouldn't have to worry about.

The problem is, is that now I have the 12x XP buff, which I didn't realize I would get. I am currently playing for the story, and really enjoyed the story of each world so far. However, I logged in, and handed in a class quest that I had finished last night, and it gave me 3 levels. This would be great, but if I keep going like this, I will basically outlevel the content in a matter of an hour. I really enjoy the class quests, and I think they're what have made the game so fun to play. I would hate to just not do them so I don't out-level the content. Had I realized that I would be in this problem I would have waited until tomorrow to preorder. Is there any way to turn this off? It really kind of ruins the leveling to me, as I wanted to experience as much as I could on my first character, not to mention now I would vastly outlevel my friends once we start playing together.

Thanks for the help!

So, I just recently got into this game, and am loving it so far. The story is amazing, and I don't feel as if it is a grind to level. I subscribed, and plan on playing with a couple of my friends starting this week, and planned on continuing to play the upcoming expansion, and, seeing as how I had a bit of extra money, I preordered the expac so it would be one more thing I wouldn't have to worry about.

The problem is, is that now I have the 12x XP buff, which I didn't realize I would get. I am currently playing for the story, and really enjoyed the story of each world so far. However, I logged in, and handed in a class quest that I had finished last night, and it gave me 3 levels. This would be great, but if I keep going like this, I will basically outlevel the content in a matter of an hour. I really enjoy the class quests, and I think they're what have made the game so fun to play. I would hate to just not do them so I don't out-level the content. Had I realized that I would be in this problem I would have waited until tomorrow to preorder. Is there any way to turn this off? It really kind of ruins the leveling to me, as I wanted to experience as much as I could on my first character, not to mention now I would vastly outlevel my friends once we start playing together.

Thanks for the help!

It's really fast for the first 15 levels but you never get more than 4 levels over the content. You still get full experience at that point.

If you cancel your subscription, you would no longer have access to 12x xp. But that might be a .44 magnum solution to a .22 problem. And might have unwelcome side effects.

If you cancel your sub, you're still subscribed until it runs out (up to 5 1/2 more months!). So, not even a .44 magnum solution.

Just ignore the 12x XP boost and play the game as you would without it. Especially if you are playing with friends who don't have it. Do side quests and heroics like you normally would and only upgrade your armor and weapon(s) to the appropriate level for the content you and your friends are doing. Then about the only difference would be that you would get access to higher level skills earlier. (Even then, you could simply not get the skills from the trainer.)

It surprises me how many people seem to think that, because they get the 12x XP boost, they HAVE TO only do class quests and level as fast as possible.

I think you will find as you level a bit higher that the 12XP is your own worst enemy anyway. It's intended for the experienced player who has done the planetary and side quests many times and has grown tired of the grind. But as a first time player you haven't done them and you're missing out if you skip them. You might want to concentrate on these first and leave the class quests for last. It may seem absurdly fast right now, but it slows down considerably as you get to higher levels.

The problem I've found on concentrating on class quests is that you become over-leveled and under-geared really quickly. Because you are not doing the side quests you don't have enough credits, drops, or comms to keep your toon geared up. 12XP really means rushing ahead without appropriate protection.

Just ignore the 12x XP boost and play the game as you would without it. Especially if you are playing with friends who don't have it. Do side quests and heroics like you normally would and only upgrade your armor and weapon(s) to the appropriate level for the content you and your friends are doing. Then about the only difference would be that you would get access to higher level skills earlier. (Even then, you could simply not get the skills from the trainer.)

I like the simplicity of that solution! And the fact that you are applying a social solution to a technological problem. Good job!

Getting enough comms to remain geared is very easy if you level two alts at the same time, since you only need to do the dailies for FPs and PvP to keep up, and switching between alts keeps you from leveling too fast. But if you are only doing a mad dash to level 55, even ignoring story FPs like the Foundry or the Maelstrom Prison in favor of solely doing the class missions, yeah, that might be a bit problematic by Belsavis.

• 6 months later...
so many jerks here yes the post says go to fleet buy for 0 credits an item to turn it off for 8 hours at a time
Um, only one "jerk" here... check the dates. All the other posts in this thread were during the SoR per-order period, and there was no way to turn off the 12x boost back then.

There is an alien beside your Skill Mentor (in Fleet/Combat Training section, first room) which can gives an item that suppress 12x Experience Boost. So you can turn it off by this way. ;)