The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Perma 12x buyable off the Cartel Market

Nalsek

A long time ago, I used to be a huge MMO player. I played EQ, DAOC and WoW throughout college, and loved every minute of them. I put aside personal responsibilities in favor of raiding, or attunement, or taking back that keep at the edge of our territory. And I didn't care because I was young and dumb, and had the time available to justify that expense.

I'm not young anymore. I'm nearing my 30's, and I suddenly have responsibilities I need to take care of. I have a fiance I need to do things with, a wedding to plan, a career I need to actually put effort into, family events I actually have to go to, the list goes on. More often then not I only can squeeze in 1-2 hours a day into gaming.

Yet I love SWTOR. I loved it's class storylines, I enjoy how the classes play, and I like the look and feel of it. I just can't justify the time to care about it's endgame, or achievement hunting, or PvP, or even doing the basic quests for every single planet anymore. I don't have the time to justify such a commitment. Awhile back I made a Consular, to see how well the game held up, and while I loved the class, it took me over a month to get her to 50. By the end of that, I was drained, and had no interest in sticking around to check out the other classes/endgame.

This 12x booster seemed like a godsend to me. I could come back and finish a single class storyline in under a week. I could finally check out the storylines I actually cared about in a quick fashion, and have fun doing it. And I did, I came back and went through the Trooper, the Bounty Hunter, and the Sith Warrior in the span of about a month, and enjoyed all of them.

The booster completely changed the nature of the game for me, turning it into something I could justify. It made it a single player game, similar to KotOR1 and 2. I started bringing up how much I loved it on messageboards, and the response was unanimous, that being able to play KotOR3 sounds appealing, but they don't know if they can justify the time commitment themselves before the booster runs out, so it's better not to risk it at all. And it made me realize that outside of these forums, there are a ton of people who would love to go play SWTOR for all of it's class storylines, but can't/won't because they are in a similar position as me, and can't do MMOs anymore ( or just hate them. ).

So I propose a permanent buyable off the Cartel Market for 12x story exp. However it should have some caveats, as otherwise it'd be abused by people who just want fast alts. You shouldn't be able to PvP if you buy the booster, or do any nonstory Operations ( the Oricon story ends on an Operation, doesn't it? ). You also shouldn't be able to get any achievements, or do any Flashpoints that aren't story related ( Battle of Ilum, False Emperor, Tython/Forged Alliances stuff, probably Revan ). Bill it as "the KotOR 3-10 story pack" and sell it for a high enough price, and you'll bring back in all of us who can't justify MMOs, but love single player Star Wars games again.

And you don't even lose anything from it! I mean it could be argued that if I can burn through a class storyline in 5 days, I'm not going to be playing as long, so I won't stay subbed. But that's not true at all, because if I can't burn through a class storyline in 5 days, I'm not going to be subbing at all. Getting $50 out of me for a "Story Bundle" is far more money then getting $0 out of me because I can't justify a sub, or don't care about other stuff.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/signed...

I would gladly pay something reasonable for this...

After doing several toons at 12x, I might do one the slow way, but that will, I'm sure, be a once or twice experience.

Going back to normal XP may kill the game for me, from a leveling point of view.

As a Story Player, my Emphasis lies with the Story.

So does mine, its 50% of why I play this game. But I've done so MANY toons that the story of the planets is been played through so many times I don't want to see it anymore. I just want to play through the class quests now to do them in the different ways. I have 22 characters slots filled, over half of those 55s and the others at least over 10. I don't want to do the planet and side stories anymore.

As someone who loves story content I fully support this and would use it.

Me, I'm the opposite : I'm not at all interested in getting to the top level as fast as possible.

Yes... the class story, and to a lessor extent, the planet stories...

But... how many times?

Once you've done them 16 times, do they still hold interest?

Why do you need to prevent access to areas of the the game for a 12 xp STORY boost?

I would love for it to stay, I don't have the time any more to be able to have an end-game character AND experience the game from another character. It has been so nice to be able to zoom through the individual story lines without having to do other stuff to fill in the level gaps and end up forgetting what is going on.

My plan is to go back and do the planets (quests, datacrons, lore) after I have level capped.

So does mine, its 50% of why I play this game. But I've done so MANY toons that the story of the planets is been played through so many times I don't want to see it anymore. I just want to play through the class quests now to do them in the different ways. I have 22 characters slots filled, over half of those 55s and the others at least over 10. I don't want to do the planet and side stories anymore.

As someone who loves story content I fully support this and would use it.

This is how I feel, I've seen and done the planetary quest chains on both sides more then enough, I really have no interest whatsoever in slogging through them -ever- again, especially imperial alderaan with is horribly placed speeder points, pass. (What you didn't run all the way to the bottom corner of the map to unlock that hub, no speedering to the next area for you now that we made you run all the way back to the main city from the very last area on the map to tell peon number 9768 his info was useless, that speeder has no kniwn points attached to it!)

Edited by XiamaraSimi

I whole-heartedly agree with this. I've come back after a sabbatical from the game, and snapped up the expansion just for the xp boost to the story. I'll level a few classes I never finished solely because of this opportunity. I've got several to max (50 when I left, came back recently to get a couple to 55) so this would be a great idea for those who have multiple characters. Maybe make it a toggle option, for those who DO want to not outlevel the side quests?

I'm not saying I would use something like this all the time, but it makes sense in some stories not to "bog yourself down" in planet quests, for instance for the IA on balmorra you are undercover with the resistance so why would you risk your cover by being seen with imperial officers and doing missions for the empire.

It could work as a xp consumable boost and used as and when, or if you dislike a certain planet (like Tatooine for me) using a 12p class boost will drastically cut the time I need to be there.

I came back when my friends told me about 12x XP. Basically every character I've ever played, I've shelved after finishing the class story. I think I did a few level 50 Flashpoints when that was the cap, but mostly I just wanted to play through the story, enjoying the journey.

At the default rate of XP, the leveling curve is just too cumbersome for the Story Mode. I've tried doing it all sorts of different ways. I tried doing all the planterary stuff first, and then completing my class mission all at once in order to not have each planet broken up. I tried doing the class mission first, and then hanging out on the planet doing planetaries until I catch back up to speed on level. I even did an Imp Agent where I bought the Flashpoint bonus XP, and Flashpointed up to 50, then went back to Dromand Kass and did all my class story back to back. Each time I either felt as though everything else that interupts the class story would eventually bog me down and make me forget all the great details that I enjoyed, or that going through it at the wrong level made it an inappropriate challenge rating and soaked some of the fun out of it.

With 12x XP, I came back and I have played the heck out of the game. I'm right now on my 7th time through the class story, just since the XP boost. I'm replaying classes. I'm trying different paths. I'm going through the story with different companions by my side. And I am loving it. Looking at it as KOTOR3, this is the best installment.

Truth be told, I will eventually leave the game once I have exhausted all the content. I'm just not a gear-treadmill person anymore. Getting too old for that. And I'm never going to raid on a schedule; that just makes it feel like a job. But I paid for an expansion I'll probably visit once, and I paid for a subscription that when most of the subscriber benefits (unlimited ops, warzones, tradeskills, etc) are things that I'm not even touching. And if they offered the 12x Class XP on the Cartel Market for $50, I'd drop that in a heartbeat and keep on playing the game for however much longer I enjoy it, even after the new expansion releases.

As it stands now, I'll probably leave after the expansion goes live, because I won't want to grind the endgame, and the leveling experience will return to being cumbersome and unenjoyable. But for now, I'm going to keep playing the heck out of it.

/signed

I'm in the same boat really, I don't have the time I used to for playing games, but I love the Bioware style of story writing, and to me this has always been more of a single player game with an optional mmo component than the other way round.

I purchased the expansion simply for this xp boost, because I finally could comfortably see the class stories without having to labour through hours and hours of cookie cutter sidequests with archaic hotkey game mechanics that honestly feel terribly dated.

I will regrettably not be able to do all of them by the time the boost runs out, and will in all likelihood cancel my sub again.

But having this like a permanent option, either as a toggle for the people who pre-ordered the expansion, or even a toggle we can buy of the Cartel market, has my full support, and would keep me around as a subbed customer at least for a while longer. :)

Edited by wolfyde

I would like to buy an optional 12*XP buff from the cartel market (let me choose whether I want it on/off and how long I want it on/off for)

BTW, I bought a couple of additonal character slots with cartel coins yesterday to make use of the current 12*XP buff - so it would be win-win for Bioware!

Edited by maxjam

TLDR: Yes, allow us to unlock 12xp per character like HK or at least replace double xp weekends/weeks with 12xp. Consider making all flashpoints soloable with a geared companion as well so we don't have to worry about the very long que times for lowbie flashpoints.

12xp has been an eye opening experience in the world of MMOs. This has been the most successful perk released by Bioware, and has allowed the class story to shine, without getting watered down by side quests. Either have this replace the reoccuring double xp weekends and weeks, or allow this to be an unlockable permanent bonus for however much you want to charge. I'd pay 14,000 cartel credits for an unlock of 12xp. Even if it's just one character! Thats how much I'd want this.

I also suggest making it so that you can solo any flashpoint with your companion, because lowbie flashpoints are incredibly hard to fill in Group Finder, and 12xp has rendered flashpoints useless. Flashpoints still have very useful story archs and also serve to complete achievement goals.

Edited by undiess

I really want this but i'd also want to see it as a character perk. 2 mil unlockable maybe? It saves a lot of time which is worth more than 2 mil. Also this is a great and totally amazing SWTOR experience, being able to focus on the story!

It'd be great if they made it a legacy perk. Something to the effect of "you must have completed each class story once, and be legacy 40" or something. I seem to remember one of the devs saying they were considering doing something to make 12xp a permanent boost tho.

Once you've done them 16 times, do they still hold interest?

To me they do. I used to replay single-player games on a regular basis before I got hooked on swtor. Still I play new chars by the same premise, the planetary stories are part of the whole experience.

I'm all for an optional XP bonus, whether via xp-boost-items legacy unlocks or cartel market unlocks, It's the perfect solution. Those who don't want it won't buy it - maybe offer them an optional XP penalty? Those who like the 12x experience can have it and will no longer ask for double-xp weeks or permanent xp-bonuses for everyone who has a certain legacy level.

Edited by Mubrak

If they enforce it on legacy level 50 characters, or make it a perk you can buy but can't disable, it would totally ruin my experience. :( A toggle would be great, but we all know how Bioware feels about toggles - none for same-sex romances, none for double XP weekends. Then again, they did introduce a helmet toggle in the end.

I play for the story and the content. I am not in any rush to complete my characters.

I pre-ordered the expansion and with the "Revan" expansion I have 12x exp. I level up faster, but it neither makes my character stronger, nor does it make my enemies weaker. I still have to slap in armoring every three or four levels. The point is, that 12x exp is not all advantageous to me.

I prefer to take it all slow, experience everything, and enjoy the game.

Having an easy button will ruin the game. People rush through the game content with stealth, they have no gear or armorings, they beg for others to carry them through their game. Now they want everything to be unlocked in their Legacy so they don't have to go through content on every character. Too bad. You have to. I hope that never changes.

I believe everyone should have to play through the content in order to advance. They should have to earn everything for every character they create. No easy buttons, no cheats. If you are one of those who rushes through the game, don't bother asking me for help. Play properly, and I might help you.

Edited by Darth_Krushya
changed my opinion on the matter

I'm just sad that you have to rush through your characters. It's a great game and you should stop to smell the flowers. Good luck and may the Force be with you or serve you well. Peace.

I'm skipping tedious side quests I've alreay seen 9 times before as I level my 10th imperial alt, even without 12x xp I try to get enough xp to be able to skip some of the planetary chains, if it gets to the point where you can recite the npcs lines from memory with him as he's giving you his sob story, fun has definitly left the building :p

Me, I'm the opposite : I'm not at all interested in getting to the top level as fast as possible.

The issue with this game is that the class specific quests is like 4 per planet, the rest are generic for the faction, so once you do it for a single character, you have seen it all....i would prefer just class quests to be honest, it gives me a reason to play more then just my favorite class.

Cause after leveling up my jedi guardian and sith juggernaut, there is no point in rolling anything else, i have pretty much seen 99% of all content, the 1% is the other class quests and i honestly do not see the point in rolling another just for 4 quests per planet.

Now, don't get me wrong, if they designed it so that if you get a perk when you create your character, completing a single class quest WILL level you up for the next class quest, so if it shoots from level 1 right up to level 5, then so do you....then i would roll the other characters for the story only, otherwise no point and i love story, i just HATE the playstyle the classes use.

I would happily purchase this from the Cartel Market or pay to unlock it as a Legacy Perk available to all current/future toons.

I like sticking to the class missions, level a toon to 55, then create another of the same class (other advanced class), transfer the Bind to Legacy Gear using Legacy Storage on your Stronghold and level that toon to 55.

I like to have 3 sets of BtL gear, level 19, 29 and 39. Once you hit Makeb at 47, you just use the GSI terminal next to the shuttle on the orbital station and you are bolstered to 55. 50 to 55 in 2 hours.

Cheers.