Options to cancel a GTN Transaction - TOO MANY SCAM LISTINGS!!!

chosonman

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow it didn't click for me in that last rant that items had been sorted by NAME, not price. (No search term, I'm assuming. Probably just selected categories crafting material + archaeology and sorted those results by name.)

I looked at the jumbled listing example that someone tried to back him up with, and I was just thinking "You would never see them mixed up like that anyway! The low numbers would be on one end of the list and the high numbers would be on the other end of the list (and most likely with lots of other stuff in between them)." Because of course you would sort by price, right...?

(Let's also not forget the point that unit prices on the GTN always show exactly 2 decimal places when it shows decimals at all. And there's the total price column as well, and that will always show whole numbers. The example of 153.633 is 100% fictional and is only chosen to be presented that way because you know that a number that actually could appear on the GTN like 153.63 doesn't convey the same degree of similarity and you need to add that extra digit to make your point.)

What this says to me is that what you should really be asking for is a dual sort feature. Allow us to specify "sort by this column first and then sort it further by this other column."

Then again, you could have typed in "red igneous crystal" into the search and then sorted by price... That would have accomplished that type of sort. You could focus in on the exact material you're looking for and you could bring the cheapest listings to the top of the list.

Yeah... Gonna have to stand by "you shouldn't be seeing listings with random prices jumbled together if you've sorted them".

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

I would like a /ignore for people on the GTN , you as a buyer should be able to have a list of people you dont want their stuff showing on the GTN, a /ignore option is easy and practical to implement and would be a very solid solution to this problem

I would like a /ignore for people on the GTN , you as a buyer should be able to have a list of people you dont want their stuff showing on the GTN, a /ignore option is easy and practical to implement and would be a very solid solution to this problem

We can't always get what we want.

I would like people to actually PAY ATTENTION to what they are buying and the prices for those items. I would like people to grow up and accept responsibility for their mistakes instead of trying to blame someone else. I would like people to stop looking for someone to protect them from their own inattentiveness.

I think there is as much chance of me getting those three things as there is that BW will add a completely unnecessary ignore feature to the GTN.

We can't always get what we want.

I would like people to actually PAY ATTENTION to what they are buying and the prices for those items. I would like people to grow up and accept responsibility for their mistakes instead of trying to blame someone else. I would like people to stop looking for someone to protect them from their own inattentiveness.

I think there is as much chance of me getting those three things as there is that BW will add a completely unnecessary ignore feature to the GTN.

I do pay attention but im not perfect and its a legitimate complain to have something done about it specially when its more than obvious that:

1. Its a scam

2. Its intented to be a scam

3. It can misled people even if you are very cautious

4. Its can lead to a lot of complains

And since i like to take personal responsability for my actions im not asking for my money back im asking for the tools that will help me avoid loosing more money in the future

Its a legit solution to a very annoiyng problem from plenty of scammers who make this game look bad for all

Edited by khsolo

I do pay attention but im not perfect and its a legitimate complain to have something done about it specially when its more than obvious that:

1. Its a scam

And since i like to take personal responsability for my actions im not asking for my money back im asking for the tools that will help me avoid loosing more money in the future

Its a legit solution to a very annoiyng problem from plenty of scammers who make this game look bad for all

How is it a scam?

The seller lists an item for a SET PRICE that CANNOT be changed once the item is listed.

The BUYER sees the items, how many are in the stack, and the total price.

The decimals are followed by TWO characters and the commas are followed by THREE characters. ANYONE paying attention SHOULD be able to tell the difference between TWO and THREE characters.

The BUYER agrees to purchase the item for the listed price when he clicks the BUY button and then again when he clicks the CONFIRM PURCHASE button.

The BUYER gets what he agreed to purchase for the price he agreed to pay.

There is NO scam, only INATTENTIVE BUYERS.

How is it a scam?

The seller lists an item for a SET PRICE that CANNOT be changed once the item is listed.

The BUYER sees the items, how many are in the stack, and the total price.

The decimals are followed by TWO characters and the commas are followed by THREE characters. ANYONE paying attention SHOULD be able to tell the difference between TWO and THREE characters.

The BUYER agrees to purchase the item for the listed price when he clicks the BUY button and then again when he clicks the CONFIRM PURCHASE button.

The BUYER gets what he agreed to purchase for the price he agreed to pay.

There is NO scam, only INATTENTIVE BUYERS.

Not true, its a price placed with the intention of misleading a customer into paying something for which its not what the buyer intended to pay for, its a scam and pls dont try to pretend it is not

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/scam.html

A fraudulent scheme performed by a dishonest individual, group, or company in an attempt obtain money or something else of value. Scams traditionally resided in confidence tricks, where an individual would misrepresent themselves as someone with skill or authority, i.e. a doctor, lawyer, investor.

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/scam.html#ixzz3IUd77Q5e

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scam

2scam transitive verb

: to deceive and take money from (someone)

: to get (something, such as money) by deceiving someone

You are being deceived my playing a price that looks legit but its not with the intention of ripping you off, its a scam, pls dont try to make it legit, its offends me and everyone else who tries to make this and honest game to play and enjoy

You were not scammed in ANY way.

there is no fraud no matter how many times you whine and say there is.

Price is listed and cannot be changed

The items for said price are there when paid for.

You have a built in price filter.

You have a confirmation box.

You have the gift of sight.

It's not the seller's problem if you were

too tired

not wearing your glasses

not paying attention

where you are from

have buyers remorse.

Seller has no clue who or even if someone will buy the item.

1. Its a scam

You have the tools.

1) You can sort by unit price, or total price, and can sort from low --> High, or high --> low.

2) You can set the range of prices to include in your search. Prices that fall outside of this range will not be included.

3) You have a purchase confirmation warning that asks you "Are you sure you want to purchase (item name) for (credit amount)?

4) By reading and posting on the forums, you have demonstrated at least a basic understanding of reading and understanding the English language. Thus, one can safely assume that you are capable of reading and comprehending a GTN listing before you click buy.

If you choose not to use all, or any of these tools, you only have yourself to blame. You get no sympathy from me.

You were not scammed in ANY way.

there is no fraud no matter how many times you whine and say there is.

Price is listed and cannot be changed

The items for said price are there when paid for.

You have a built in price filter.

You have a confirmation box.

You have the gift of sight.

It's not the seller's problem if you were

too tired

not wearing your glasses

not paying attention

where you are from

have buyers remorse.

Seller has no clue who or even if someone will buy the item.

What you are saying doesnt imply is not a scam, Buffet also ran a business based on those assumptions and it was a scam and hes paying jail time for it

Its not legit or honest to put those prices with the intention of scamming people it doesn matter is the system allows it or there is nothing to regulate it ergo its a bussines practice with the sole intention of making people believe its a price thats is not, thats not legit and its a scam plain and simple

If people intended to pay that money for that good they wouldnt be here complaining

And since its my responsability to take action for my problems i want your name or whoever i please removed from the vendors that i wish to do busines with in the GTN and the simplest way to do it is just to /ignore your listings

I am a five year veteran to SWTOR and have recently lost 5 mill to a GTN scam. I have spent over 2000 real dollars and countless hours of real time to earn credits. If the company allows these scams to occur and do nothing to either correct or compensate, I will no longer play and pay. My account has been canceled.

Thanx for many years of fun

Sincerely,

Shagra

I am a five year veteran to SWTOR and have recently lost 5 mill to a GTN scam. I have spent over 2000 real dollars and countless hours of real time to earn credits. If the company allows these scams to occur and do nothing to either correct or compensate, I will no longer play and pay. My account has been canceled.

Thanx for many years of fun

Sincerely,

Shagra

Nice try.

Fact: . . . an intelligent person has the capability to learn from their mistakes

Fact: . . . a highly intelligent person can learn from ANYONE's mistakes

. . . . . . . . corollary: a highly intelligent person responds the same to a mistake no matter whether it

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . was themselves who made that mistake

You can interpret these two facts however you like... but for me there is no deliberation necessary to know what needs to be done about the problem.

Fact: . . . an intelligent person has the capability to learn from their mistakes

Fact: . . . a highly intelligent person can learn from ANYONE's mistakes

. . . . . . . . corollary: a highly intelligent person responds the same to a mistake no matter whether it

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . was themselves who made that mistake

You can interpret these two facts however you like... but for me there is no deliberation necessary to know what needs to be done about the problem.

You are right. There is NO deliberation necessary to know what needs to be done. People need to grow up and to pay attention to what they are doing, what they are buying and what the price is for that items they are buying.

What does NOT need to be done is to expect BW to protect players from their own mistakes and inattentiveness.

It IS a scam. I got took, that's all there is to it. What needs to be fixed is when I tried to put that person on ignore, it would not allow me to because he had used some special character that my keyboard could not reproduce. SWTOR needs to allow a left click and then add to ignore list.

Also, you should go into GTN and look for those who are scammers. Add them to your ignore list, that way you won't be taken by them. It is a lot of work but so is recovering my 3.5 million that I was scammed.

A new trend seems to be emerging in these topics that... instead of sorting by price and double checking that it sorted smallest first, people are apparently sorting by item name or seller name and they're getting hung up on checking a list of names that they've personally blacklisted instead of paying attention to the prices, putting some misguided notion about "who deserves my business" above doing what they need to do to make sure they get the best deal? So then you buy from the first name that you haven't already added to your list and if you realize afterwards that you got burned that's one more "scammer" to add to your ban list?

What does NOT need to be done is to expect BW to protect players from their own mistakes and inattentiveness.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Remind me once more, what was the purpose of the Purchase Confirmation popup that was in the original design of the GTN features? Anyone?

Just because this requires some lack of caution on the part of the victim, doesn't mean it isn't a scam. Most scams require some lack of caution by the victim. The intent of the seller is that someone will purchase something for ~1000x the going price by accident because nobody would pay that on purpose, and they choose the details of the price (i.e. selecting digits to look like a repeating fractional part getting rounded off) to maximize the chance that someone will make that mistake. If that doesn't meet your definition of scam, you need a remedial English class.

Bioware could easily prevent most cases of this by formatting the prices correctly. Any bank statement or other legitimate presentation of money values will align the place values, and will present a uniform number of digits past the decimal.

Here is what we have today for unit prices:

$666,667

$666.75

Here is what we'd have if it was formatted properly:

$666,667.00

___ $666.75

(using underscores since the forum will eat the spaces)

It would be much harder to make a mistake if the data was just formatted correctly.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Remind me once more, what was the purpose of the Purchase Confirmation popup that was in the original design of the GTN features? Anyone?

If people are so inattentive that they ignore and blindly click on that Purchase Confirmation, they need to grow up and accept their mistakes and accept the responsibility for THEIR actions. Why should BW give them an option to "cancel transaction" for no reason other than they weren't paying attention?

What is to stop someone from "buying" every item listed lower than theirs and "canceling the transaction", thereby giving themselves an unfair advantage and costing the seller a new listing fee?

... Why should BW give them an option to "cancel transaction" for no reason other than they weren't paying attention?

There's no reason to limit ourselves to considering only ONE solution, there are at least a few possibilities of solutions that would fix this problem.

Its not legit or honest to put those prices with the intention of scamming people it doesn matter is the system allows it or there is nothing to regulate it ergo its a bussines practice with the sole intention of making people believe its a price thats is not, thats not legit and its a scam plain and simple

First: unless you have 100% proof that the person actually did put up the price to trick you, you should stop to assume or proclaim they did it for that reason. Doing this without proper proof is "false accusation" (or however it would be called in english legalese) and is an offense/crime itself. You have no proof, you're just making assumtions.

Second: it is impossible to set up a price that appears as a different price. If someone reads a different number than the one posted, it is his own fault. You should have learned to read numbers in elementary school - so unless you're under age of 10, you should be able to differenciate between 1,999,999 and 1,999.99.

It is no fraud, scam or anything else but "to dumb to read".

If you are tricked that easy, maybe you should let your mom do all financial transactions for you, but stop calling others they "scam" you when in fact it is just your own stupidity that made you spent to much money.

Grow up, become responsible for your actions, and stop whining and blaming other people for the mistakes you made.

There's no reason to limit ourselves to considering only ONE solution, there are at least a few possibilities of solutions that would fix this problem.

How about the NUMBER ONE "fix", even though there is NOTHING broken that needs to be fixed?

The NUMBER ONE fix is for people to PAY ATTENTION to what they are doing, what they are buying and what the price is for that item. You can use any excuse you want- "tired from playing too long/too late", "thought the comma was a decimal", etc. They all boil down to the same thing--the BUYER was NOT PAYING ATTENTION.

If you are tricked that easy, maybe you should let your mom do all financial transactions for you, but stop calling others they "scam" you when in fact it is just your own stupidity that made you spent to much money.

Grow up, become responsible for your actions, and stop whining and blaming other people for the mistakes you made.

Insulting the players who made the buying error is becoming an entirely stale contribution. The only thing it shows is that the people making that contribution have very little class.

Not to mention, BioWare directly disagrees with you, given that they ALREADY PUT a stop-gap for purchases into the game... it's simply the case that it's insufficient and something needs to be improved.