Weekly Reputation Limits: Why?

theJudeAbides

Yep, it's another thread complaining about weekly reputation limits, and not a moment too soon. ;)

I really don't understand the point of the weekly reputation limits, especially when it comes to events like Gree or, most recently, Rakghoul Outbreak. These events usually only last a week, anyways, and don't come around for another 4-6 months. I'm already at my weekly Thorn limit, and had to "bank" all the rep tokens I got today, and it's only Thursday. There's still Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday to go... and I'm only doing it with 3 toons. There are people out there doing it with a lot more than me. Oh, and I still need to do Eyeless with 2 of them (and HM Eyeless with all of them).

What purpose does it serve making me use my tokens over the course of the next 2-3 weeks? For that matter, why not have these events last longer (say, a month each) so that people don't have to glut themselves on it for the brief time it's around. I have to work 6 days this week (10 hour workdays), and when I get home, I rush on to finish all the missions before I have to go to bed, because I know this event probably won't return until some time next year (Feb 2015 at the earliest).

If there's a good reason for this, I'd like to hear, because seriously, Bioware, seriously. This really gets annoying sometimes for those of us with lives outside of this game.

Edited by theJudeAbides

I imagine the weekly is because reputation is legacy wide, otherwise you could go from the lowest rank to make rank in a week or under depending on how many characters you have.

I agree on it's annoying how short the events are and how far between they are, i like to do dailies every few days, so when these events roll around that expect me to cram on a dozen characters for a week to get rep i just don't even bother trying.

It's so you will come back for more. It's a recurring event and they want us to play it each time it comes around. Without this in place you could get everything there is to get the first time the event occurred (and folks would then complain that there was no reason to do the event). I would prefer they give the event some longevity by introducing new rewards each time (which to a certain extent they have done this time), but you can see why they did it this way.

I did actually have enough tokens to be max rep after the Alderaan outbreak. But of course by the time I could consume them all the event was gone, so I had to wait until Tatooine to get the mount I wanted. But it didn't bother me overly. It's only a mount. Actually made me look forward to the next one more.

Edited by PLynkes

So people don't rush through, complete the rep, then complain of no content.

I agree with limits, I just find the current limits on everything, from rep to comms, to be too low.

Yeah i would like the rep limit to increased at least, takes 2 or 3 days of dailies to cap rep that week, which is great if you do them every 2 or 3 days but then the other 4 days of the week it is just stocking them up to be used next week, then 1 minute after reset you are capped again.

Yeah i would like the rep limit to increased at least, takes 2 or 3 days of dailies to cap rep that week, which is great if you do them every 2 or 3 days but then the other 4 days of the week it is just stocking them up to be used next week, then 1 minute after reset you are capped again.

Not to mention that you have completed mission taking up space in your log because turning them in would mean losing comms.

Bioware should either raise the limit or lower the rewards; one is essentially penalized (and locked out of content) for playing the game.

It's so you will come back for more. It's a recurring event and they want us to play it each time it comes around. Without this in place you could get everything there is to get the first time the event occurred (and folks would then complain that there was no reason to do the event). I would prefer they give the event some longevity by introducing new rewards each time (which to a certain extent they have done this time), but you can see why they did it this way.

I disagree. Even with max reputation, you still need to get the required things in order to get the items, and on some of the cooler stuff, it's actually really tough to get those items. For example the Carapace items that Eyeless drops: When I ran it 16 SM with my one toon, 4 of them dropped. I rolled Need on every single one. Didn't get a single one. (Side Note: Why don't they just give everyone 1? Seems like it would be much more fair.) Also, there some things required for one of the speeders that I don't even know how to get! Also, I may create more toons in the future which I want the items for, which will require me doing the missions again.

I know it seems a bit silly to you for me to complain about this, but the whole system just seems silly to me.

Also, the "pay for reputation" groups which require you to buy cartel packs? No dice, Bioware. I'm already paying you a subscription fee (and I actually purchased the game back when you still had to), I'm not giving you even more money. Yes, I know I get a monthly stipend of CCs for subbing, but those go towards unlocking things which are actually useful/cool (like inventory space, species unlocks, etc...), not towards cartel packs which only have a small chance of dropping something I actually want (which are much easier to procure via the GTN anyways).

I see two reasons for weekly rep caps to exist.

1. It keeps people playing for longer. Its an artificial extension on the effective life of content. I would prefer they didn't do things like this, but its a necessary evil in order to keep large numbers of players from moving on to other games between content cycles. Devs like their sticks and players love those carrots.

2. It prevents the CM from being a Pay 2 Win marketplace. Since many of the CM Packs include rep items, if they allowed you to grind all the way to Champion with a faction in a single week then the CM Packs become a pay to win system where you can buy all the rep needed to unlock access to high level gear from the rep vendors.

The reason is probably because you're not paying real money for the reputation.

If you paid real money for it upfront like in cartel packs, there is a large cap, if any at all.

If you just pay a $15 sub fee and grind it out in game, that $15 is not enough for the business of SWTOR. So they have to drag your grind out longer, leeching off more increments of $15.

It's all based on the money.

At this juncture I think the ADD crowd has moved on. If after three years you're still on the fence about SWTOR....wow. I'm not going to cancel my subscription because all my Alts and companions are in 180 - but I would cancel if they're all in 180 and the only thing released by the parent company is platitudes and words like "soon".

EDIT: Or I finally get a case of the arse over only 22 character slots. (Speaking of making people play longer, what better mechanism than leveling up a-NOTHER alt?)

Edited by Lotharofxev
Forgot something

The reason is probably because you're not paying real money for the reputation.

If you paid real money for it upfront like in cartel packs, there is a large cap, if any at all.

If you just pay a $15 sub fee and grind it out in game, that $15 is not enough for the business of SWTOR. So they have to drag your grind out longer, leeching off more increments of $15.

It's all based on the money.

Based on the rep cap for CM packs, I'd say this is in part true. The other part is to extend how long players are interested in the given event.

Quite frankly, for every player that is like the OP and is sincerely burdened with when and how long they can play, there are many others that would simply tear through the reputation to legend, finish all the achievements, and say the given event is boring.

Edited by arunav

The weekly limits with the ability to stock up on rep tokens you can use later is fine.

What is not fine is specific to the Rakghoul event with the vendor disappearing at the end of the week, and many things requiring Friend or better reputation, which you cannot get this week, creating a Catch-22.

This week the vendor is available, but you won't have reputation to buy anything. Next week you'll have reputation to buy stuff, but the vendor won't be available, and not only that, no one knows when they might be back, which is most likely sometime six months into the future.

EVERY other reputation vendor is available even if the event is not taking place except the jawa for Rakghoul.

So either the Rakghoul event needs the limit removed, or the jawa (or similar vendor with the items) needs to be available outside the few weeks the event occurs during the year.

Edited by DawnAskham

I did actually have enough tokens to be max rep after the Alderaan outbreak. But of course by the time I could consume them all the event was gone, so I had to wait until Tatooine to get the mount I wanted. But it didn't bother me overly. It's only a mount. Actually made me look forward to the next one more.

This is exactly right, and has, as a matter of fact, already come up with the Bounty weeks. People here complaining that there's no reason to play it because they already have everything, and have capped Rep, etc etc.

I'm already at my weekly Thorn limit, and had to "bank" all the rep tokens I got today, and it's only Thursday. There's still Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday to go... and I'm only doing it with 3 toons. There are people out there doing it with a lot more than me. Oh, and I still need to do Eyeless with 2 of them (and HM Eyeless with all of them).

Why exactly do you need to do this?

Take your time, man. Play slowly.

Next week you'll have reputation to buy stuff, but the vendor won't be available, and not only that, no one knows when they might be back, which is most likely sometime six months into the future.

EVERY other reputation vendor is available even if the event is not taking place except the jawa for Rakghoul

I believe the answer is - the little bastich is off spreading the disease on a-NOTHER planet.

On a more serious note, your points are well taken.