Consolidated Stronghold wish list

Oneirophrenia

Yeah, I guess that does make more sense. I think to perhaps piggyback on this idea, is the often seen request of changing /local in our SH to /trade aka /fleet chat instead. Some of us hate the stupid discussions, but for those groups, it would be handy. I believe I might be more inclined to do dailies, if the terminals were in my stronghold.

Indeed it would be nice if there was a global "LFG" chat channel that we have access to from our SH. Some silliness will probably still occur there but at least it won't include all that trash talking in the pvp channel or political and religious yammering in fleet general chat.

Re: Hooks on Tatooine: I double the total hooks for a total of 1000 which I could easily fill. 500 for that huge area is ridiculously inadequate. Moreover, there are no hooks on the perimeters (i.e., past landing pad) whilst it would be nice to be able to place, for instance, minefield warning markers so as to mark the outer perimeter and avoid going into the exhaustion zone.

Agreed, tatooine could look so much better this way. Id also love to be able to have more large hooks in the sands to place all the fighters they keep adding to the packs.

Soooooooo you know those worthless single small hooks placed above all doorways? Yeah well when I saw the security cams I was like YES! Something that would be worthwhile in putting there! Theeeeeeeeennnnn you go and put it on a medium hook -_- REALLY?!

Yeah, I'm not sure why it was set up that way either. I wish BW would just tag all the decorations with small, medium narrow, medium and large hooks to let the players have full control over deciding where they should go.

Let companions placed in strongholds keep the gear we assign them. Don't make them holos. Let us position them: Quinn on a torture rack, Skadge sitting at or on a desk, Kaliyo dancing on a stripper pole, T7 waiting tables with tray of cocktails, Scourge playing chess with Zash, Nadia practicing on a target dummy, etc.. Until I can do things like that my interest in Strongholds is almost purely in their utility.

To add onto the thoughts about the Tat SH needing more hooks, another option would be if we could decorate beyond the 100% hook designation. I know the percentage of completion has its purposes, and a limit of some sort is probably necessary performance-wise, but it seems like there could be some type of compromise that could be made to make more people happy in what they want to do - perhaps something along the lines of the hook total staying the same for 100% completion for the ones who only do SH for conquest boosts, but then have a second hook ceiling for being able to decorate as you wish. One possibility would be to double the current hook allotment for each SH for the decoration considerations...just as a thought, a bit more or less could work too.

Even the small ones such as DK and Coruscant can have issues depending on how you decorate, so at least for somebody like me an expansion on the current hook allotment would be well received.

Agree with all of your points, particularly about widening X-Y adjustments; I would love to see a "Z" axis so we can stack items or place them up; Ultimately, I would love to dispose of hooks altogether so that players can freely move objects wherever the hell they want them... chairs on the ceiling, whatever.

Items should be more flexible and be useable on floor, wall and ceiling hooks. Throughout the game, there are many items that I recognize as "floor" items that are just moved back into walls soas to appear as wall items. I would LOVE that flexibility.

Re: Hooks on Tatooine: I double the total hooks for a total of 1000 which I could easily fill. 500 for that huge area is ridiculously inadequate. Moreover, there are no hooks on the perimeters (i.e., past landing pad) whilst it would be nice to be able to place, for instance, minefield warning markers so as to mark the outer perimeter and avoid going into the exhaustion zone.

Another problem is the number of rug/flooring hooks, which are far too few. It is impossible to provide wall-to-wall floor coverage, even in the smallest of rooms, because of the floor hook arrangement or lack thereof; or weird placement thereof.

Another problem that requires fixing: the stronghold decoration interface. It needs a search feature and the option to disable auto-sort. It never picks the right item, category or sub-category and having to reshuffle past menus to get back the item I was on before the stupid interface incorrectly guessed what I was thinking, is a big fat waste of my time, not to mention needlessly irritating.

SWG had this more than a decade ago. Its easily implementable and I have no idea why they decided to use the hook system in the first place.

Source: Programmer who has seen the server-side housing code from SWG.

SWG had this more than a decade ago. Its easily implementable and I have no idea why they decided to use the hook system in the first place.

Source: Programmer who has seen the server-side housing code from SWG.

I suspect BW went with hooks because it's a modifiction of their placement system. Still, there is little doubt that it does stifle player creativity quite a bit. Add in the fact that the decorations have perscribed hook size requirements and limited X Y axis movement, essentially BW is pre-determining where our items *should* go with little room for deviation. It would be akin to a publisher telling us "hey, go write that novel you've always wanted to write but hold on, we have already picked the characters, chronological timeline and general theme for you".

BW could fix this by doing the following three things:

1. Cover the vast majority of wall, ceiling, and floor spaces of strongholds with small or medium hooks.

2. Changing all decoration hook requirement to small.

3. Increase the X and Y axis modifiers greatly.

Edited by Oneirophrenia

• 2 weeks later...

The NPCs...

To be honest, I was pretty disappointed with my stronghold. You can place there a couple of NPCs, but they will just stand there. Why no soldiers patrolling around? Why no companions dancing at the bar after sleeping in the bed? Why no cleaning droid, driving around and saying something about how fast the place gets messy? Why no soldiers saluting you after coming and saying: "Welcome home, sir!" ? Why no TV with the news on, reporting about the latest development of the galaxy conflicts?

The place just feels empty, even if it is full of stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

My biggest gripe with strongholds is the poorly placed hooks. There are numerous cases where floor hooks don't align well with wall textures, or where hooks are placed so far off center that you cannot get your pictures to hang straight (by way of example). There is at least one floor hook in Nar Shaddaa that is halfway buried into a wall.

My suggestion is to allow us to edit the editor. Either give players complete control over hook placements, or at least allow us to adjust the placement of hooks themselves (edit the layout), in a manner similar to how you can adjust decorations already on hooks. This may obviate the need for larger range X & Y axis adjustments.

Someone else mentioned saving hook layout to a template, which would be super handy in this scenario, for when you reset some of the rooms or the whole SH.

The NPCs...

To be honest, I was pretty disappointed with my stronghold. You can place there a couple of NPCs, but they will just stand there. Why no soldiers patrolling around? Why no companions dancing at the bar after sleeping in the bed? Why no cleaning droid, driving around and saying something about how fast the place gets messy? Why no soldiers saluting you after coming and saying: "Welcome home, sir!" ? Why no TV with the news on, reporting about the latest development of the galaxy conflicts?

The place just feels empty, even if it is full of stuff.

I completely agree with this post. Animations are what make a place feel alive, not random stuff thrown about the place. Why can't I even click on my guards? Why can't they say something when I click on them? It could be something very simple like "Sir..." or "My lord..."/"Master Jedi..."

You can use existing assets to make the npcs more alive. We've all seen npcs throughout the game leaning up against a wall with the arms folded. Or how about the Imperial honor guards on Korriban who kneel when you walk past them?

And patrolling npcs seems like a must to me. Make a new hook: a thin, long line which allows npcs to walk back and forth on.

I love the idea of a holo feed which says random bits of prerecorded news. The jukeboxes were a great addition to make the strongholds seem more alive through audio. But they could just be the first step. Galactic news feeds, npcs randomly talking/muttering to themselves. Droids that beep and boop. Consoles that sound like they are on and not just placed randomly.

TLDR: Animations and interactivity are what make the world seem alive, instead of just a façade. These suggested changes, for the most part, can be done using current in-game assets (read, minimal extra development time).

amazing ideas around - would love to see those ingame.

most of all I would like to see a legacy bank.

What I would really like would be something to display and store armor and weapons on a "window mannequin" - this would also be great to exchange legacy gear.

And because it´s this time of the year I make a wish too:

A Mining Droid which gathers 1 resource node every 4 hours (make this for a medium floor space where you can drop 1 small green floor space onto (this the node which is harvested)

--> make a quest line to make those mining droids (like hk-51 or similar) = limited to 1 per char an remove the ability from the character when it is placed.

An update from my original list, with compiled items from other suggestions in this forum....

1) Allow us to remove or resize the Stronghold popup nameplate and "Guild controls this sector" nameplates...they should be part of the GUI editor like the decoration control box.

2) Give us a hook that we can drop where we wish, lock it down for use.

3) Allow us to have stone statues of our current characters, wearing our current gear.

4) Give us a jukebox that actually plays all of the game's music, not just cantina music.

5) Give us three more unlockable tabs in legacy storage.

6) Allow us to purchase a Legacy Bank that can store legacy credits, using the guild bank design. Set it up with it's own escrow for preferred and F2P players or just make it sub only.

7) Give us the ability to preview decorations in place (translucent) so we can see how they would actually look before we purchase/acquire them.

8) Allow us to use chat bubbles in our strongholds, with a toggle.

9) Smaller strongholds...ones that have perhaps an entryway, one main room and perhaps 4 side rooms.

10) Priority transport terminal.

11) Functional versions of the Kingpin’s Bounty and Smuggler’s Luck slot machines.

12) Allow an option to remove ALL hooks from floors and make flat unbroken floor sections within doors one large universal floor hook with the ability to place items anywhere, even inside each other.

13) Allow items to have a limited up/down axis movement on the universal floor hook.

14) Allow limited resizing of certain objects on the universal floor hooks.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by LordArtemis

All of those above are very fine statements. I agree with most of what you say, but knowing BioWare and EA, it's not going to happen anytime soon. But that's another matter entirely. As for my ideas.

It's simple really. Arrangements including NPCs. What does it mean? Simple examples:

1. Imagine yourself a bunch of Jawas standing around. One of them is welding some droid in the background, one is calling in new customers, one is digging in a pile of parts. We have a nice arrangement that includes 3 NPCs a droid (or at least parts of one) and a desh pile for example.

2. Imagine yourself a med-bay bed just after an attack on your stronghold. A medi-droid is standing above a wounded trooper, scanning him for any medical problems. This trooper is either sitting or lying on the bed. We have another smal droid with a tray of basic medical utensils, painkillers and such.

3. Imagine yourself a club entrance with a bouncer at the doors. A bunch of random people try to get in, but that big Zabrak guy is showing them off. Some struggling, minor shouting and they are back to pleading. Yet when someone important walks by (aka players), the bouncer would just nod and let them pass.

4. Imagine yourself a military operation center in the mids of an action. A huge screen showing some sort of super covert iformations, a trooper sitting in front of the controlls forwarding data for the CO standing behind him. Another one doing as a com with the team in the field. We have at least 3 troopers, a computer of sorts and a wall screen.

5. Imagine yourself a garden of peace and serenity. The best place for a jedi to go calm her or his mind. Yet it has to be upkept by someone. So there they are, a gentle Torguta girl is wattering the plants. A cathar gardner is checking them on his datapad if they hae all that's needed. We have two simple NPCs and a plant or two.

That's all the examples you will need to get the idea of what I mean. This wil greatly add to the fiction of SH livingtheir lives, even when we are away from them. There are countless posibilities of arranging various NPCs in various situations.

But appart from that. I want my companions to be visible even when I am out of the SH. The holos are just a joke. The only way of using them I think is to create a new character and use him or her just for that specific companion holo as a long range com imitation in one of the rooms.

I love taking pictures in Real Life...in game, is no different. I have quite a few screen shots I have taking in the game. Sadly, I have no way of turning those pictures from the game into anything that I can use In The Game. What I would like is a way for players to turn screen shots into pictures that you can hang on the walls of your Strongholds.

Yes, there are the trophy ones you can put up, and some of the Art pics you can get from the packs and at the Cartel are nice, but it would be great to be able to use your own stuff.

Yes, I know that there are some who would try to find a way to abuse the system and find a way to take pics from Outside the game (...x r a t e d stuff...) and put them up, but there has to be a way to allow the use of In-game screenshots to be turned into Pics to go on the wall...

Just my two cents...

Sam Fargo

Batiatus Guild

All of those above are very fine statements. I agree with most of what you say, but knowing BioWare and EA, it's not going to happen anytime soon. But that's another matter entirely. As for my ideas.

It's simple really. Arrangements including NPCs. What does it mean? Simple examples:

1. Imagine yourself a bunch of Jawas standing around. One of them is welding some droid in the background, one is calling in new customers, one is digging in a pile of parts. We have a nice arrangement that includes 3 NPCs a droid (or at least parts of one) and a desh pile for example.

2. Imagine yourself a med-bay bed just after an attack on your stronghold. A medi-droid is standing above a wounded trooper, scanning him for any medical problems. This trooper is either sitting or lying on the bed. We have another smal droid with a tray of basic medical utensils, painkillers and such.

3. Imagine yourself a club entrance with a bouncer at the doors. A bunch of random people try to get in, but that big Zabrak guy is showing them off. Some struggling, minor shouting and they are back to pleading. Yet when someone important walks by (aka players), the bouncer would just nod and let them pass.

4. Imagine yourself a military operation center in the mids of an action. A huge screen showing some sort of super covert iformations, a trooper sitting in front of the controlls forwarding data for the CO standing behind him. Another one doing as a com with the team in the field. We have at least 3 troopers, a computer of sorts and a wall screen.

5. Imagine yourself a garden of peace and serenity. The best place for a jedi to go calm her or his mind. Yet it has to be upkept by someone. So there they are, a gentle Torguta girl is wattering the plants. A cathar gardner is checking them on his datapad if they hae all that's needed. We have two simple NPCs and a plant or two.

That's all the examples you will need to get the idea of what I mean. This wil greatly add to the fiction of SH livingtheir lives, even when we are away from them. There are countless posibilities of arranging various NPCs in various situations.

But appart from that. I want my companions to be visible even when I am out of the SH. The holos are just a joke. The only way of using them I think is to create a new character and use him or her just for that specific companion holo as a long range com imitation in one of the rooms.

This is a good post. Strongholds are cool and all but they don't feel lived in. I hope that its just that its new and as soon as it launched, all hands were on deck to get 3.0 out the door before the holidays.

So many NPCs with simple animations would solve much of this and imagine most can be found in game already. Whenever questing or running around plantes of all levels, I find myself saying "hey, I want THAT for my SH"

Someone else mentioned, construction crews....droids welding on stuff, carrying building materials. Heck, just some NPC skin options....some thugs and goons to hang out in my Tat mercenary fortress and wait for contracts to come across the holonet. just pilfer art assets from ....heck, anywhere. copy and paste NPCs from the Jedi temple on Tython or Korriban and populate them in your Sith Temple/Jedi Academy.

Have em for sale from personnel agents. Stick them in Cantinas all over the Galaxy to get people visiting old content. Need a Nikto hooligan to stand guard over your vault room? Go to the personnel agent in the Nar Shadaa cantina. Etc.

So many possibilities and many of them easy to implement.

This is a good post. Strongholds are cool and all but they don't feel lived in. I hope that its just that its new and as soon as it launched, all hands were on deck to get 3.0 out the door before the holidays.

So many NPCs with simple animations would solve much of this and imagine most can be found in game already. Whenever questing or running around plantes of all levels, I find myself saying "hey, I want THAT for my SH"

Someone else mentioned, construction crews....droids welding on stuff, carrying building materials. Heck, just some NPC skin options....some thugs and goons to hang out in my Tat mercenary fortress and wait for contracts to come across the holonet. just pilfer art assets from ....heck, anywhere. copy and paste NPCs from the Jedi temple on Tython or Korriban and populate them in your Sith Temple/Jedi Academy.

Have em for sale from personnel agents. Stick them in Cantinas all over the Galaxy to get people visiting old content. Need a Nikto hooligan to stand guard over your vault room? Go to the personnel agent in the Nar Shadaa cantina. Etc.

So many possibilities and many of them easy to implement.

It's nice to see you agree. I was also thinking of something else as well.

The Strongholds as of now are quite borring in their desing. Everyone has the same layout of rooms to play with, the same hooks placement and possibilities. And as I was walking through Tatooine, the idea hit me. As of now, we start with a base set of rooms and buy additional to expand our Stronghold. But the choice we have is only in the order we buy those rooms out. How about something more? Here come the Modular Strongholds.

The idea is simple. Each Stronghold is as of now divided into modules which you buy. Well let's add a choice of what you want in that place. An example? Here it goes.

Tatooine Stronghold, Spaceship Hangar. It's huge, based on a circle, nice looking. But how about allowing us to put a huge, circular, towerlike building there? There are tons of such on Tatooine, so no new models needed. It would be accessed from the bottom, same as the shipdock, but would offer some rooms for various use.

Dromund Kaas/Coruscant balcony. Now we have a simple "landing pad" without a spaceship hook on the balcony. How about allowing us to get something similar to Nar Shaddaa entrance area? Like the same shape it is now but instead of the circular balcony we would get a couple of taxi pads here and there. It would change the possible layout of the Stronghold totally. Or the other way round, a huge landing pad where we can place our actuall ships.

Dromund Kaas/Coruscant garage. Instead of the huge shield-window, do a room with a simple windows like the other rooms. Or make one without any windows at all. Or take away half the floor and let us hang our ship there. Or lower the floor a little bit and add a catwalk around the walls for an OPS room kind of thing.

This wouldn't change the overall usefullnes of a Stronghold, but would allow for much greater variety and personalization. Especially that you have all the models already in game. But as of the previous idea, this one is probably just a wishful thinking.

It's nice to see you agree. I was also thinking of something else as well.

The Strongholds as of now are quite borring in their desing. Everyone has the same layout of rooms to play with, the same hooks placement and possibilities. And as I was walking through Tatooine, the idea hit me. As of now, we start with a base set of rooms and buy additional to expand our Stronghold. But the choice we have is only in the order we buy those rooms out. How about something more? Here come the Modular Strongholds.

The idea is simple. Each Stronghold is as of now divided into modules which you buy. Well let's add a choice of what you want in that place. An example? Here it goes.

Tatooine Stronghold, Spaceship Hangar. It's huge, based on a circle, nice looking. But how about allowing us to put a huge, circular, towerlike building there? There are tons of such on Tatooine, so no new models needed. It would be accessed from the bottom, same as the shipdock, but would offer some rooms for various use.

Dromund Kaas/Coruscant balcony. Now we have a simple "landing pad" without a spaceship hook on the balcony. How about allowing us to get something similar to Nar Shaddaa entrance area? Like the same shape it is now but instead of the circular balcony we would get a couple of taxi pads here and there. It would change the possible layout of the Stronghold totally. Or the other way round, a huge landing pad where we can place our actuall ships.

Dromund Kaas/Coruscant garage. Instead of the huge shield-window, do a room with a simple windows like the other rooms. Or make one without any windows at all. Or take away half the floor and let us hang our ship there. Or lower the floor a little bit and add a catwalk around the walls for an OPS room kind of thing.

This wouldn't change the overall usefullnes of a Stronghold, but would allow for much greater variety and personalization. Especially that you have all the models already in game. But as of the previous idea, this one is probably just a wishful thinking.

I prefer my balcony in Coruscant actually the way it is considering I made a garden there so I wouldn't want mine to change. My boyfriend and I don't use the garage as per se a garage but more of a storage room with crates and "vendors" though they are not vendors but areas for storing "armor, crystals, etc."

So I would prefer an option that would allow you to change if you wanted to or leave it the same.

I prefer my balcony in Coruscant actually the way it is considering I made a garden there so I wouldn't want mine to change. My boyfriend and I don't use the garage as per se a garage but more of a storage room with crates and "vendors" though they are not vendors but areas for storing "armor, crystals, etc."

So I would prefer an option that would allow you to change if you wanted to or leave it the same.

I understand you prefare the way it is now and praise the gods you do. But someone, somewhere, some time ahead might want something diferent. That's what I meant, diversity. It would be quite nice to see it.

Other then what I already posted, I would like a new Stronghold all together. One available for both factions, smaller then Tatooine, with a new design and last but not least, it should be on Alderaan. This planet is just too beautiful to skip.