The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Commendations in 3.0

Brewski

Okay Eric's answer makes more sense.

So what's everyone's plan now then ? Without knowing if we get a ( all be it temporary ) cap increase of basic.

I think I will buy a few elite main hand weapons ( or I saw a focus ) on my lower geared characters , I have about 8-10 of such character types. Spend my Ultimate. Then gain comms on those 8-10 lower geared characters ?

I'm also fairly convinced the highest tier of basic gear will be 180 , otherwise what would be the point in me actually playing at all until December the 2nd ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Based on Eric's answers, I plan to continue spending Ultimate and Elite comms as soon as I get them, since the comms will be downgraded anyway. Personally, I plan to max basics (and maybe planetary/classic as well) and then spend at the last minute if I need to in order to avoid losing comms in the transfer.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it was okay that players used their earned comms on newly released, higher level gear from 2.0 > DF/DP; and it is okay that for 3 years pvp players have kept their comms to be used on higher lvl or even lvl cap increased gear, but suddenly for 3.0 we need to all be on equal footing?

Your argument doesn't even work for this game, much less any other mmo. I'm a 20 year mmo vet. I've never once played a game that took my earned comms away and twice so far both with DF/DP release and Forged alliances there were no changes to ultimate comms and all the gear moved down a level.

I'm so sick of this crew on the forums that loves to defend BW shafting the player based at every turn no matter how they dick over their players. Ultimate comms are not a gift, they are earned by players who PAY TO PLAY THE GAME and the player base never has any recourse when they do this stuff because BW pulls all the strings.

They've only done it once with PVE. Originally it was Basics give 156, Elites give 162, and Ultimates give 168. Then it shifted so that Basics give 162, Elites give 168, and Ultimates give 180. Before 2.0, instead of shifting things they gave a completely new currency in the form of Black Hole. For the expansion they rolled all of 2.0 comms into classics and started three new tiers. Both for the introduction of DF/DP and 3.0 they don't want to give completely new comms again that people have to relearn. So instead of coming up with new names they are doing the same thing but keeping the old names.

So why did they not change comms with DF/DP? Well the jump in gear wasn't as big for that as it will be for 3.0, as it was only one tier. And they probably didn't want to go through adding a new tier of comms again. It just wasn't necessary for such a small difference in gear tiers. In 3.0 we're getting 3 completely new tiers. You should not be able to buy 196 gear with comms you earned while doing level 55 content in potentially 156 or 162 gear.

So why do they do this for PVE but not PVP? PVE is completely dependent on progression. It's the name of the game. PVP isn't, its gear curve is much more flat, because it needs to be. You can't have players still working on getting 162 PVP gear when they've just introduced 168 and 180 gear (hypothetical).

They're also not taking your comms away. They're rolling them up into basics and allowing you to buy better gear than you could have before the expansion. They're actually upgrading your comms.

Of course not. Caps keep you from gearing to quickly so that you are forced to play longer, i.e. forced to sub for a longer period of time and keep you coming back to play more and purchase more goodies from the cartel market. Also go ahead and expect the Ultimate > Basic to be 1:1 because they can. What would you do about it?

It won't be ultimate 1 : 1 basic lol. neither will classic 1 : 1 basic happen either. Doesn't take a professor in mathematics to work that out.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Based on Eric's answers, I plan to continue spending Ultimate and Elite comms as soon as I get them, since the comms will be downgraded anyway. Personally, I plan to max basics (and maybe planetary/classic as well) and then spend at the last minute if I need to in order to avoid losing comms in the transfer.

I agree. hopefully they will let us know the conversion and max/cap will be in advance so we can plan accordingly and not lose any comms.

Of course not. Caps keep you from gearing to quickly so that you are forced to play longer, i.e. forced to sub for a longer period of time and keep you coming back to play more and purchase more goodies from the cartel market. Also go ahead and expect the Ultimate > Basic to be 1:1 because they can. What would you do about it?

It was not a 1:1 last time they did this, so I doubt it will be any different. Granted the RATIO (IMHO) kind of sucked last time, but at least we had a "TEMP" over the CAP that allowed us to spend them comm's (Just couldn't earn any).

just don't expect 186 NiM gear to be purchaseable with comms

The only claim made in the OP was that ENTRY LEVEL 186 RATED GEAR would be buyable with Basic comms. It didn't say anything about the token gear you get from NiM ops being sold for comms. Nobody gives a crap if you have to run NiM to get some specific set of shells. The topic of this thread is what new ratings of gear will be available from what sources when the expac rolls out.

The only claim in the OP is that the new entry level rating for story mode ops is the same as the current top end gear rating, and that you would be able to get gear of that rating from the Basic comms vendor after 3.0. You haven't pointed to anything that suggests that any part of that is either false or unlikely, based on what happened with 2.0, and in fact that's exactly how it worked last time.

Good post Brewski!

I wanted to explain exactly how the Commendation stuff will work in 3.0 as I know I still had some questions I was unsure of on the stream. Here is the basic layout of what will happen in 3.0.

• Planetary and Classic Commendations no longer exist. All current Planetary and Classic Commendations will become Basic.
  • All Elite and Ultimate Commendations that you have will become Basic Commendations. Elite and Ultimate Commendations still exist but you will need to earn them anew in 3.0.

I know there are a few followup questions; what will the cap be, is there a conversion rate, etc. We are still working out details like that in testing but as soon as we have it nailed down I will let you know!

-eric

I am assuming the weekly cap shall be removed then on Basic Commendations? Like Classic Commendations had no weekly cap.

I actually like the idea of converting Ults and Elites to Basics. Too many ways to cheese the system otherwise.

Yet another follow-up: what buys better gear? pre-3.0 Ults or post-3.0 Basics?

It will either be the same level or post 3.0 basic will be higher.

I actually like the idea of converting Ults and Elites to Basics. Too many ways to cheese the system otherwise.

Yet another follow-up: what buys better gear? pre-3.0 Ults or post-3.0 Basics?

Yeah that's a rewording of my question , if they aren't equal then there isn't much point in playing content for ultimate atm , would be more beneficial to max out basic and maybe elite.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

This is ridiculous. You are in effect devaluing the currency. Ultimate comms were earned doing HM content and should purchase HM gear.

Nonsense. HM50 content should not provide a means to get HM55 gear, and HM55 content should not provide a means to get HM60 gear (other than by earning credits and buying gear from crafters).

If they aren't equal then there isn't much point in playing content for ultimate atm, would be more beneficial to max out basic and maybe elite.

That observation in itself suggests why they likely will make the item ratings the same for the current top end and the new entry level. So your time spent gearing up isn't wasted and is of the same value either way, whether you spend your time farming the top end gear now, or just grind comms and buy the new "entry level" on day one. Making the current ending point the new starting point means you get the same result either way.

Edited by Heezdedjim

So if they eliminate Planetary comms, what do we level with?

Basic comms.

I hear rumors that in 3.0, all stats will be relevant to all classes.

I don't think anyone will have an easy time convincing me that tanks will suddenly want the Accuracy and Alacrity they've been so keen to put on our gear in 2.0.

I apologize if I wasn't clear. I was speaking on current nightmare level gear (186). The belief going around the swtor community is that 186 will become obtainable through basic gear. My point is that Bioware has never allowed Nightmare level gear to be purchaseable with comms because they have specifically stated that NiM level gear would be only obtainable via Nightmare Ops. So if that is the case then the highest basic level 55 gear obtainable through comms would be 180 Dread Forge gear. I was asking why is everyone quick to assume 186 will be purchaseable with comms?

They are guessing that the 186 (which is now NIM gear) will become the new basic in 3.0 and they will create a new NIM gear (higher than ultimate gear) for that.

That observation in itself suggests why they likely will make the item ratings the same for the current top end and the new entry level. So your time spent gearing up isn't wasted and is of the same value either way, whether you spend your time farming the top end gear now, or just grind comms and buy the new "entry level" on day one. Making the current ending point the new starting point means you get the same result either way.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

The leveling vendors will sell you the same gear but with basic comms , so basic comms will be earned from level 1.

At first glance, this is a good thing. There's not a breaking point at reaching top level where old coms become useless to the character and an entirely different set of coms need to be farmed.

I'm so sick of this crew on the forums that loves to defend BW shafting the player based at every turn no matter how they dick over their players. Ultimate comms are not a gift, they are earned by players who PAY TO PLAY THE GAME and the player base never has any recourse when they do this stuff because BW pulls all the strings.

Did it occur to you that many people might not feel like we're getting dicked over by BW with regard to this decision, and that's why they're defending it? Right now, ultimate comms can be used to purchase 180 rating gear. Come 3.0, existing ultimate comms will be converted to a currency that can be used to purchase gear that will either be rated 180 or better. How exactly are we getting the shaft, again? I simply don't see it.

I know there are a few followup questions; what will the cap be, is there a conversion rate, etc. We are still working out details like that in testing but as soon as we have it nailed down I will let you know!

Thanks.

While you're all looking at conversion rates etc etc.... do you think you can increase the absolutely abysmal weekly caps on commendations for subscribers, like the atrocious 200 limit on Elites Commendations and the really pathetic 150 limit on Ultimate Commendations?

I know it's there to prevent burning through content, but this is a complete and utter fallacy when most of us will flip to an alt. and shove stuff into legacy gear to send to a main character. Just up the weekly limits for subscribers, we pay for the game because a few of us play it a lot.

Thanks.