Having difficulty role-playing a sith inquisitor at the beginning..

Highsis

I want RP a vicious, cunning, pragmatic, and evil female Sith Inquisitor.

As a former slave, she had been abused throughout her life and her demeanor is submissive to those with higher power and authority for she knows angering her betters will only get her worse treatment. However, she is very ambitious, and when her talent of force was revealed, she became determined to climb to the top and rule over those once her superiors, but she will never reveal her ambition nor her fury against the stronger.

My problem is this: why are all dialogue options so cocky, and why is she so powerful?

SI all had been a slave until their talent of force was discovered. This means she has never received any proper training up to that point. I can't possibly imagine how she could have beaten Harkun's favourite pure Sith guy who supposedly was trained in ways of the warrior for god knows how long, let alone 4 failed Accolytes in Ajunta Poll.

There are dialogue problems of her being over-confident, too. My SI perceives everyone as a threat and her superiors because she had not received any proper training, and I lack such options to appear courteous in order to ingratiate herself with her superiors. (so she could lower their guard/earn content until she becomes stronger or grabs chance to stab them in the back.)

The beginning of SI arc describes a genius breezing through trials against competitors without any sort of training or difficulties and that just sounds BS to me. It's not like she hails from a noble warrior origin as Sith Warrior. does :(

(Mary Sue analogy removed)

Edited by Highsis

*hails

And, the main reason for this, I think, is no matter whether you are light or dark side the way the dialogue is set up each character has a predefined personality regardless. And the inquisitor is as cocky as they come. Though, I assume you mean after korriban because I distinctly remember agreeing with harkun when he said I was scum, but choices like that never showed up again starting on dromund kaas.

*hails

And, the main reason for this, I think, is no matter whether you are light or dark side the way the dialogue is set up each character has a predefined personality regardless. And the inquisitor is as cocky as they come. Though, I assume you mean after korriban because I distinctly remember agreeing with harkun when he said I was scum, but choices like that never showed up again starting on dromund kaas.

I think agreeing with Harkun was one of very, very few exceptions. My character would always try to appear courteous to those who can destroy her(until she can kill them by stabbing in the back or becoming stronger), and at the beginnng of the Korriban trial, she literally perceives everyone as her stronger, including even Korry(the girl who fails first test) because she had never been trained in the ways of the Sith.

I wish there were more instances like the answer agreeing to Harkun who says you will die miserably that my character could use to lower the opponent's guard and appear friendly to find their vulnerability.

I was at least sympathetic until "Mary Sue" got dropped into the conversation.

Does it offend you? I just thought that SI who had been a slave, never trained in combat, beating the hell out of hard-working acolytes qualifies as Mary Sue.

If you are talking about semantics, I used it because SWTOR authors accommodated player's power fantasy with PC's stories and it's not that different from players themselves writing the plots.

Edited by Highsis

A "Mary Sue" is a very particular thing, and that thing is not "character who is too powerful for my liking".

Plus, there's this to consider.

I would appreciate it if you elaborate, to enlighten me why I misused the term, rather than saying it's just wrong. I feel like I'm uttering monologue.

And my dissatisfaction with my character's undeserved strength and conceit has nothing to do with my character being female. I would have felt the same even if I were playing a male character.

Edited by Highsis

Hmm. I have mine who smiles and is very polite because it knocks people off balance. Her rivals think she is weak and pathetic, hiding behind her Dashade. She has no problem with throwing around some disrespect as time goes by, and as she sheds and buries her slave past.

Or perhaps you could rethink your character as one who is trying to hide his/her past with raw power.

And trust me, the Sith Inquisitor is not perfection, and your story will show you by how much.

Sadly the SI story is bad, not just for RP but overall. Act 1 is ok, Act 2 is bad, and Act 3 is terrible. As you mention, the Sith Warrior is more viable to RP in a couple different ways.

However, Act 1 does explain why your particular SI is so powerful, even though you're a slave. It doesn't fit what you want to do RP, and it does seem like the dialogue choices do not fit an untrained slave growing into their power.

As you gather companions, you'll also find out that one companion is basically broken for RP (simply makes up stuff about your character no matter what you do), and another has so little work put into him that his conversations feel like placeholders. You even have one companion who tells you that they're going to do whatever they like, and you just have to let them walk all over you.

At times your SI will feel overpowered and at other times so underpowered and weak and easily manipulated that you'll wonder why you're still alive. My SI was an alien, and it was amazing how often (after I became powerful) that people would badmouth aliens and my option would be "ok" instead of "shock them".

A "Mary Sue" is a very particular thing, and that thing is not "character who is too powerful for my liking".

Plus, there's this to consider.

There is so much wrong with the opinion of the article you linked there. I was thinking that Batman is described there from they beginning, since I view that character for a long time already as a Mary sue. The gender of a Mary Sue is not important to me, so I see no sexism there. My issue with the trope, is not about what traits the character has or didn't has, but about having no chracter arc in the story. If everything interesting already happened in the past and now the character is just awesome of just angsty or whathaveyou but no further development then it is a Mary sue, a static cardboard cutout, but not a living character. Power fantasies are nice to have, but the good storeis involving those characters give them an arc, something to grow and change, so they face challenges that are not clear from the beginning they will over come, and in this regard, sure the sith inquistor's story will eventually lead to success, but if one plays that like a Mary Sue and decides from the beginning how to deal with everything, or actually think while gaming how the character feels and how the companions might change the views on the empire and other themes within the story then you get a deeper character that is more than just the pre-designed class story. Oh, and just because male characters usually doesn't get called Mary Sue, doesn't mean they are okay to be flat, male characters get criticised too for having now development, so that is nothing only female charcters get criticed for.

SI all had been a slave until their talent of force was discovered. This means she has never received any proper training up to that point. I can't possibly imagine how she could have beaten Harkun's favourite pure Sith guy who supposedly was trained in ways of the warrior for god knows how long, let alone 4 failed Accolytes in Ajunta Poll.

The beginning of SI arc describes a genius breezing through trials against competitors without any sort of training or difficulties and that just sounds BS to me.

It's not like the prologue takes place over a day.

From the start of the game to where we are currently in the storyline spans a couple of years, 4 IIRC. Its just that the passage of time isn't super obvious.

A person/character doesn't need to have had training to be strong in the force. All the training does is focus their talents.

It's not like she hails from a noble warrior origin as Sith Warrior. does :(

What if she hailed from a lineage that was powerful in the force?

It's hard to roleplay out many of the class stories because of the restrictions of the scripted format and how personality is essentially pre-defined by the voice acting. Some respond better to player choices than orthers, but the Sith Inquisitor responds less than most. You have very little control over so many things in the story as it unfolds. A story fully on tramlines.

Contrast this with better stories such as Imperial Agent and Sith Warrior which play out rather differently based on your choices (in as much as they can within the restrictions of scripted voice acting).

Part of the problem with the Sith Inquisitor is the poorly written companions. They just don't engage properly with your decisions, whether DS or LS. The way many of them end up as part of your entourage feels totally contrived.

Perhaps try the Sith Warrior story instead. The starting setting is similar to Inquisitor but it's a better story overall.

It's the same with a male LS Sith. The writing for the Inquisitor story imo completely ignores the character background.I really do not like it. I just can't see either character as a former slave in the delivery and dialogue. Edited by DomiSotto

It's not like the prologue takes place over a day.

From the start of the game to where we are currently in the storyline spans a couple of years, 4 IIRC. Its just that the passage of time isn't super obvious.

Do you have a source for this? Or could you tell me where you heard it, if any of the devs have stated such?

I am very interested to know, for the sake of RP and curiosity :D

Ahhh crap

Well, it's not like one can come onto a forum and complain about the storyline for an MMO class, and expect the discussion to not contain spoilers.

It would explain some of the perceived disconnect, not knowing...

...the history of the character's bloodline.

Well, it's not like one can come onto a forum and complain about the storyline for an MMO class, and expect the discussion to not contain spoilers.

It would explain some of the perceived disconnect, not knowing...

...the history of the character's bloodline.

Ya if he/she woulda played more of the SI he/she would know

that Kallig is your ancestor and that is why you are so powerful. Also you become more power when you ghostbuster all those spirits... Still loved that I got the voss guy and never let those 5 go lmao

Edited by Darth__Reaver

Do you have a source for this? Or could you tell me where you heard it, if any of the devs have stated such?

I don't know about an official source, but consider that travel time is not instantaneous in Star Wars. Not only must you spent at least a day or two in hyperspace between planets (this adds up quickly, even assuming you only travel when required by the plot), but major story events occur. After Chapter 1, the Treaty of Coruscant is broken and open war has resumed. When Imps visit Taris & Pubs visit Balmorra, it is open conflict. The Empire launches a full-scale invasion of Corellia. This culminates in several pivotal changes in the Sith hierarchy; prominent Sith Lords like Baras, Zash, and Thanaton lose their Council spots and the Hero of Tython messes with the Emperor. That's when Malgus attempts his coup d'état.

Massive numbers of troops moving, political machinations, it all takes time. By Makeb, the Empire has all but lost its attack on Corellia. And just now is the Forged Alliances storyline.

So at least a year or two, I would think.

Edited by Aussircaex

4th post down...

http://web.archive.org/web/20100222013605/http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1780110

There has been some confusion about this due to a press release which mis-stated the dates. The time in which the game begins is less than 10 years after the Treaty of Coruscant. In general, we've tried to keep this a little vague, because the Old Republic doesn't take place in a single moment of history but over a period of a few years. Suffice to say, the Treaty's been in place long enough for it to start fraying at the edges.

The SWTOR Encyclopedia also confirms it as well.

When it comes to lore stuff, Darth_Wicked is the one to ask about stuff as he generally seems to know more about it than anyone else here, but from what I recall each chapter basically spans a year, ie The Prologue up to Chapter 2 covers about a years time.

The passage of time becomes more obvious when you take into account things like the Empire and Republic not being big enough to occupy all the planets that they're on all at the same time. You are entrenched with the troops on a planet for some time from the point of landing till the point that you leave, but like I said before it's not super obvious because it's not like you're seeing day/night cycles, or your character resting between missions, or any sort of date indication between plot points ala Assassins Creed or something.

There are a few occasions in the SI quest line (and some planet main story quest lines), where you can be gracious and courteous, especially to higher ranking Sith. The response back is always similar: watch out for the quiet ones!

I played my SI as cocky because she felt ridiculously over-whelmed. She was trying to hide her utter inexperience and fear. I also had her be particularly blood-thirsty because as a former slave suddenly given such power, she went a little... nuts. As she progressed through the story, she became more cautious and focused.

She is also one of the few character I have that displays her story title, her ambition (and survival) is derived from this under-lying fear of feeling like an impostor. Which didn't go away for her even after Act 1.

The feeling of responsibility for my companions and other underlings was one of the things that I feel the SI story line did rather well with. I wish it had been broadened out more thoroughly.