Life some restrictions for F2P?

Highsis

hyperbole

There's one more for you.

If there is one thing I know for sure Kalfear, its that if you believe any of my posts are less than intelligent, I must be doing something right.

Paying 15 dollars a month is not supporting the game. Otherwise the CM would not exist.

Spending cash in the CM is supporting the game.

Edited by LordArtemis

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paying 15 dollars a month is not supporting the game. Otherwise the CM would not exist.

Spending cash in the CM is supporting the game.

By that logic, the subscription shouldn't exist. Truth is, the company won't turn down any sources of income so both are supporting the game.

By that logic, the subscription shouldn't exist. Truth is, the company won't turn down any sources of income so both are supporting the game.

Perhaps it shouldn't. However, I think the market is not ready to provide a pure F2P MMO with the kind of success that LoL or WoT have had, considering they are MOBAs and open to consoles as well as PCs.

Right now this playerbase, IMO, is still too traditionally oriented.

I think the best way to increase revenue is to increase the appeal of subscriptions, and add more desirable fluff to the market to get subs spending more cash.

IMO there is no reason at all this game couldn't pull in 300 mil in revenue. We need more players, and subs paying out more money.

I realize that folks want to believe that paying 15 bucks a month contributes to the game. But it really doesn't. It's just a drop in the bucket.

IMO a subscriber that does not spend anything beyond his or her 15 dollars a month is no different from a free or preferred player. If you love the game, and want to truly support it, then do so...buy spending money on the market, as many have.

That demonstrates true support IMO.

Perhaps it shouldn't. However, I think the market is not ready to provide a pure F2P MMO with the kind of success that LoL or WoT have had, considering they are MOBAs and open to consoles as well as PCs.

Oh this game isn't anywhere CLOSE to that considering most of the CM purchases are...from subscribers.

It isn't the payment method (or subscriber/non options) that is holding this game back and preventing it from getting more money. It's the development and content of the game itself. Something I'm sure they're hoping this next expansion changes (and certainly something the 12x xp has had an impact on).

Oh this game isn't anywhere CLOSE to that considering most of the CM purchases are...from subscribers.

It isn't the payment method (or subscriber/non options) that is holding this game back and preventing it from getting more money. It's the development and content of the game itself. Something I'm sure they're hoping this next expansion changes (and certainly something the 12x xp has had an impact on).

A fair statement.

I agree that the biggest detriment to recruiting players at present is content. I still believe that certain specific restrictions on F2P players, ones I find punitive do not promote subscriptions, but that is a lesser point.

I believe the lack of ability to earn CC in game, other than achievements is one strong deterrent to recruiting players in the market. The lack of a subscription reward program other than a CC stipend is also an issue IMO.

I could be wrong about both naturally. You could be spot on Kalfear. We simply do not agree on some of the points, but I think you and I agree the game would benefit strongly from more revenue.

"Life some restrictions for F2P?" What the heck does that mean? I'm assuming you meant "lift" some restrictions. People need to quit trying to compare this game to other games which were F2P from the start. This is not a F2P game. It's a hybrid model. It was a sub game that had a F2P option built-in to keep the game alive. They can't devalue the sub if they want to keep any of their subs around. There has to be sufficient benefit to subbing. Some brand-new F2P game that has no subs does not have that concern or issue. So you're comparing apples and oranges.

A traditional game, purchased up front, would cost $45 to $60 per paying customer. The entire game has to make its profit on that alone, no recurring fees.

At $15 per month, it takes 3 or 4 months to pay that much. After that, the subscription fee is going purely to support continued costs and development, and line EA's pockets.

"You don't love the game enough" -- come on, LA, you're better than that sort of comment.

A traditional game, purchased up front, would cost $45 to $60 per paying customer. The entire game has to make its profit on that alone, no recurring fees.

At $15 per month, it takes 3 or 4 months to pay that much. After that, the subscription fee is going purely to support continued costs and development, and line EA's pockets.

"You don't love the game enough" -- come on, LA, you're better than that sort of comment.

Just over 100 million in the market, compared to the top ten in the market at present. I am making the point that either we need more whales in here or current players need to pony up.

My point still stands firm. 15 a month is NOT a contribution compared to other games in the market, it is in the same category as F2P and Preferred.

This was my original list of suggested changes. Note the focus is adding more value to subs, while removing a few of the more draconian restrictions.

It can also be said that if the freeps in this game do not pay to reach a percentage similar to the market trend perhaps we should OFFER what other games in the industry offer in their F2P model. So in essence, we would offer more for free, IF that would have an effect.

The question is this really...would the following restrictions....

Lack of ability to post in Customer Service or a F2P forum, or receive customer service

Lack of ability to mail coins to their own characters

Lack of ability to craft a reasonable amount of items in que

Travel and movement restrictions

...translate into subscriptions? I think the answer is likely not. The other restrictions in place, IMO, are not only non punitive, they DO encourage subscriptions.

However, would the following....

Ability to earn CC in game other than achievements

Ability to remove mods from armor at no cost

Ability to purchase speeder 1 at level 1

Ability to earn monthly account awards for every month you are subscribed

Ability to be summoned by/summon group members on the same planet to a specific location

Lack of armor repair costs

Bonus to crit chance when crafting of 5/10/15 percent, depending on length of sub

Ability to que 1/3/5 extra crafted items in the crafting que, per companion, depending on length of sub

Ability to add 1/2/3 extra missions to crew mission que, depending on length of sub

Ability to use chat bubbles in groups

Ability to use a brand new appearance system

Access to special decorations (functioning, like other jukeboxes that play game music, gambling kiosks, etc), hooks that can be moved to almost anywhere before they are locked down, large floor hooks that allow open placement

....convince folks to sub? I believe they would.

We have to have more candy to offer subs, and remove a few of the more draconian restrictions, and I think we would have a winner in the market.

In the end, the main focus to convincing Freeps to pay more money should be by offering more to SUBS, not to Freeps.

I think it is a good idea. Minus the chat bubbles. The rest I think would definitely draw more to sub. Add in free ability to aug gear and you will see a lot of happy people. Chat bubbles..pfft Everything has been so goofed up since the theaters released the Talkies.

Just over 100 million in the market, compared to the top ten in the market at present. I am making the point that either we need more whales in here or current players need to pony up.

My point still stands firm. 15 a month is NOT a contribution compared to other games in the market, it is in the same category as F2P and Preferred.

It's not a contribution, it's a fee for access, or rent if you like. SWTOR is not a charity. I don't drop an extra $50 off at the apartment office every few months, either.

More free players need to be enticed into making purchases or subscribing. Right now, the setup seems more stick than carrot, more vinegar than honey, and the results aren't that surprising.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.