Why are purple lightsaber crystals so rare?

Nieyko

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not, "We want to make it rare so people will covet it," it's, "We want to tier it so people have some sort of progression and don't just use the same exact weapon for 50 levels in a row."

Orange gear is there so you can have exactly the same gear for 50 levels in a row, and it is a great feature. Color choice on sabers is aesthetic as well, and should be available from level 1.

In all honesty, gear shouldn't be the source of a character's power, it should augment it slightly.

Yeah I know that. I'm just saying... if Bioware decided to make Purple Crystals rare because Purples are generally incredibly rare in games... ok yeah I'm stretching things but the coincidence of the two, that they're both incredibly rare and incredibly desirable, is hilarious in a way.

Ah I get ya now. And since I want a purple saber myself .. two infact... I disagree. I admit this is selfishly motivated :p

Orange gear is there so you can have exactly the same gear for 50 levels in a row, and it is a great feature. Color choice on sabers is aesthetic as well, and should be available from level 1.

In all honesty, gear shouldn't be the source of a character's power, it should augment it slightly.

But you can't go get a level 50 endgame uber looking orange armor piece and use it at level 1. If you really want to wear the simple plain starter armor sets all the way to 50 you can, but the more complex and "cool" looking armors have minimum level requirements even stripped of mods. Same thing for light saber colors, you can use green/blue/red/yellow from 9 to 50, or you can upgrade to the new colors as they become available in an attempt to show your level through your gear.

he got pushed out the window by anakin, whiney *****, skywalker.

No, we was NOT ******.

Can we please pretend episode I II III and the ewok part of VI don't exist. This game will me much more enjoyable when jedi masters dont get beaten by emo kids and when Emperial troopers don't get taken out by teddibears >.>

Edited by Wiggletphyre

But you can't go get a level 50 endgame uber looking orange armor piece and use it at level 1. If you really want to wear the simple plain starter armor sets all the way to 50 you can, but the more complex and "cool" looking armors have minimum level requirements even stripped of mods. Same thing for light saber colors, you can use green/blue/red/yellow from 9 to 50, or you can upgrade to the new colors as they become available in an attempt to show your level through your gear.

There is no need to show level through gear. Many of the 'plain starter sets' look much better than endgame gear in the vast majority of games.

Currently right now it has only been found in game as a level 50 pvp lightsaber on empire side, as has been stated.

How does this make it "Exclusive" in any shape or form. Every Darth Sephiroth is gonna have one.

Bioware has not made any comments in regards to light saber colors and the apparently random way they have assigned restrictions.

People need to get their head out of the movies because this game has NOTHING to do with the movies. If you ever get your level 8 Force wielder off of your home planet, you will soon find out that, to your disillusioned world view, Purple light sabers are everywhere in this game. I've seen them far more than any other color except red.

They just, can not be attained apparently by any other means than being a PVPer on Empire....

This is why my panties are in a bunch. Because I'm being taunted by the snot nosed kid hiding inside his house, and after 47 levels, all I can think about is driving my truck through his front door.

Finally, *sigh*, Gear Progression. Gear progression in MMO's is about STATS NEWBS! "BETTER LOOKING", "MORE EPIC", /facepalm. A stat is a definitive progression characteristic of gear. Aesthetics is an OPINION.

AESTHETICS IS OPINION. I repeat, OPINION. Because Person A likes the way something LOOKS does NOT mean it is what Person B considers Cool.

Ever gone out side? I did once,(and no, I wont go out again) and saw a whole city of people wearing different clothes with different hair cuts driving different cars.

I can not believe after the dozen+ sets of pvp/raid gear in WoW anyone would STILL think that asthetics was why people constantly upgraded. Hell, WoW has their equivalent Orange Gear now just because after all these years they "LISTENED" to the player base who hated having their own personal tastes in AESTHETICS be constantly tossed out the window every expansion.

PS. ORANGE GEAR- One of THE best features in game, hands down, and they implemented only shortly before final release, and it remains the ONLY choice we have in game that is truly a choice and not restriction.

Actually the violet colored lightsaber appears in other star wars written media and comics. The crystal required is in fact rare. Mace windu was given the Hurrikaine crystal after he restored a living stone-creature's body back together because he felt bad for shattering it in the first place. The creatures people gave him a handful of the violet colored crystal which was later renamed to Windu's Guile. How rare they are after this point in the time-line I am not sure, but obviously the SWTOR timeline predates everything I just mentioned.

Don't get me wrong... i want to be able to craft purple crystals even if it's by reverse engineering other crystals.

Because you don't have the concentrated awesome to make a purple lightsaber like Mace Windu. All those ones you see are fakes that explode.

Samuel L Jackson is to TOR as Chuck Norris is to WoW. And... There's some mother *********** snakes on this mother *********** plane!

btw,

you can get a yellow color crystal on tython when you go on the lovers quest. around level 5-6 if you dont rat them out to the masters they will give you a yellow crystal. +3 endurance i believe. it will cost you darkside points though. so the neutral jedi out there shouldnt have a problem keeping a secret. :D

Can we get a confirmation that republic can even GET a purple lightsaber?

Seen plenty of Imps that have purple (Champion weapons)

while our lousy champion weapons have the stupid "Classic Luke color" (lightblue) which is hardly distinguishable from regular blue at a distance, as well as upclose on maps such as the Alderaan warzone.

We need purple on republic FFS. General customization is low enough as it is, but having the color you WANT is another form of customization (I had purple on beta) and now all lightsabers feel 100% inadequate to me simply because they aren't the color i want. It is ruining my experience of the game more then the imbalanced Warzone issue by tenfold.

At first i thought it was just because im only in my low 30s and i just haven't gotten to any of the quests yet, (never saw any quests with purple crystal rewards upto lvl 40 on beta) but not one single 50 ive talked to so far has any clue where to find purple.

can anybody at least provide proof that we can even get one? Not old outdated database websites....... all of that is beta information AFAIK.

Edited by Arvalo

Tbh there is no excuse for the lack of purple on republic, get 50 and you can have purple on empire.

This is stupid.

Bioware, click this link!

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/8/23/9df2125d-c141-4152-a6db-5aca8e85d5fd.jpg

also after having purple on beta, im starting to feel like i got rick rolled into playing this game.....

Edited by Arvalo