Using more of the GPU graphics card- how?

beetlebomb

So, like many I'm having fps issues with the game. One thing I've noticed is that the game uses A LOT of RAM (up to about 5 gigs), which seems really weird to me, and it keeps my CPU at 100% constantly. However, my GPU hovers around 25-30%.

Is there anyway to finagle my system so the game is more reliant on my gpu rather than my cpu?

specs: i3 3.06ghz processor, gtx 460 and 6 gigs of ram. It really should run better considering the quality of the graphics is pretty low if you ask me. I can play all current games on high without problems with this system, but with SWTOR it's a stutter fest.

Also, is it at all normal that the game sometimes uses so much ram? I've never had a game use more than around 2 gigs. Don't get me wrong, I like that the extra ram I have is being used, but it doesn't seem to be paying off at all...

Edited by beetlebomb

So, like many I'm having fps issues with the game. One thing I've noticed is that the game uses A LOT of RAM (up to about 5 gigs), which seems really weird to me, and it keeps my CPU at 100% constantly. However, my GPU hovers around 25-30%.

Is there anyway to finagle my system so the game is more reliant on my gpu rather than my cpu?

specs: i3 3.06ghz processor, gtx 460 and 6 gigs of ram. It really should run better considering the quality of the graphics is pretty low if you ask me. I can play all current games on high without problems with this system, but with SWTOR it's a stutter fest.

Also, is it at all normal that the game sometimes uses so much ram? I've never had a game use more than around 2 gigs. Don't get me wrong, I like that the extra ram I have is being used, but it doesn't seem to be paying off at all...

Your CPU is the bottle-neck if it's at 100%.

Your CPU is the bottle-neck if it's at 100%.

Yes I know that's why I'm hoping to take some of the load off the CPU if it's possible.

Something else that struck me as odd with this game is it uses two processes in my task manager- both swtor.exe *32. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Edited by beetlebomb

I have similar problems OP, and it just varies randomly.

I'll be playing, graphics card running at 0%, getting 15fps on all low, then the game will all of a sudden decide to use my card at 70% and get 60fps.

This is on a laptop a few years old (2.8ghz core 2 duo T9600 and ati 4670 mobility - which is pci-e).

On my main PC, I never have these issues, I'm thinking it has something to do with the core 2 duo, as its always capped at 100% where as my i7 920 never hits it.

Why the game decides to use 100% cpu and not even invoke the graphics pipeline is beyond me though.

Yep, the game CANNOT use more than 4096mb (4gb) of ram. Its physically impossible. That might be your TOTAL system ram usage, in which case there is still something wrong. Check for running processes and so on.

As for the CPU, there's little that can be done. The 100% usage is a bit insane, and if its not some other process hogging system resources, you've basically got two options:

1. Overclock like mad (if its a 2nd gen, you could get it to 4.5ghz, 1st gen probably 4.2ghz)

2. Get a new CPU (if its 2nd gen, its LGA 1155 - you can go to an i5 2500k, which is great. 1st gen you could get an i5 or something ).

There's a problem with your system if this game is taking 5GB of ram.

The star wars client is 32bit which means it can't consume more than 3GB of RAM (with a switch added to the startup executable).

Well, I'm looking at it right now and it says 5.1 gigs of ram is being used (I have it in windowed mode). I have my windows 7 turned down to basic so it only uses like .75 of a gig when the game is not running, so it's using over 4 gigs.

Do you guys have TWO processes running when you're playing the game? Because I do and maybe that's why it's able to use that much ram (like using 2.2 gigs of ram for each process).

But it's definitely not a good thing. The game is just barely playable really.

Edited by beetlebomb

A DX10 or DX11 client would help to alleviate some of the insane CPU usage.

I do wonder if you have a memory-intensive process running the background if you're at 5 gigs. As others have said, TOR can't use more than 4.

Ok, I guess I lied and my memory is at about 1.4 gig without the game running. But that still means the game is using 3.7 gigs, which seems like an awful lot, when I'm running it and it's stuck at 5.1 gigs.

The other weird thing is after I shut off the program, the cpu stays up at like 40% and the ram stays up at like 3 gigs (it does drop about 2 gigs, but not all of it back to normal), and I end up having to restart the computer if I want to free up those resources.

Edited by beetlebomb

Ok, I figured out where all the CPU power and RAM was going. Apparently windows media player likes to use 2 gigs of ram and 25% of my CPU randomly for it's network service.

Once I figure out how to shut that off completely I should be ok.

yup it's a common issue, you can end the process but it's trying to update your media library database and probably some other junk, disable those updates from the options menu in media player which may or may not solve the issue.

been a while since i last had to resolve that so i could be off the mark a tad i just can't remember that clearly.

Yeah apparently that was the whole problem. Now it just uses 60% of the CPU and a couple gigs of RAM.

That windows media player networking service is totally ridiculous. I disabled it from the services menu and all is good.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. Game is playing great now. Settings on high and no lag during anything. Woot!

I wonder how many other people with fps problems have the same issue...

Edited by beetlebomb

Yeah apparently that was the whole problem. Now it just uses 60% of the CPU and a couple gigs of RAM.

That windows media player networking service is totally ridiculous. I disabled it from the services menu and all is good.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. Game is playing great now. Settings on high and no lag during anything. Woot!

I wonder how many other people with fps problems have the same issue...

Didn't help mine. 8(