Will the next PVP rewards be based on rating or participation?

EvenHardNiner

I've played 140 games 70 wins 70 losses and have a really bad rating due to bad luck (being put with inexperienced players), and my rating has been fluctuating, it's always win lose win lose win lose...by this rate it's unlikely i'm going to get any of the rewards, yet some people who have played only 30 games may have a higher rating than me. And when people get their "desired rating", they stop queuing ranked pvp to ensure they will get the rewards, which in turn affects us all because it means more queue times...

Has Bioware acknowledged the blatant issue with solo rating at this time?

Edited by EvenHardNiner

And when people get their "desired rating", they stop queuing ranked pvp to ensure they will get the rewards, which in turn affects us all because it means more queue times...

You are wrong. Rewards are based on highest rating achieved.

I'm guessing your problem is you are not queue syncing with 3+ guildmates with all of you in voice chat. Getting a queue pop with even 1 guildmate in the arena with you who is in voice chat (and you have a rapport with) helps.

TANGENT: there is no technical fix to prevent queue syncing. Larger populations decrease the chance that guildmates will end up in the same arena but that requires larger populations, not a code change to SWTOR. Likewise, some of the advantage of queue syncing comes from teammates being in voice chat. This advantage can be fixed by BW adding in game voice.

CONCLUSION: none of these improvements (larger population, in game voice) are likely to happen so suck it up and learn how to deal with the situation we have (i.e. join a guild, get in voice, and queue sync).

Of course if you are all-galaxy material you don't need to queue sync to win but playing matches with friends who are in voice is so much more fun than playing with strangers who are not in voice.

You are wrong. Rewards are based on highest rating achieved.

Like i said, people with 1700+ rating are less likely to play because that's probably the rating you'll need to earn all the rewards, they just wouldn't queue as much

Edited by EvenHardNiner

If you've played 140 games, that's a large enough sample size for luck to be negligible for your current rating.

not really. Based on the current ranking system, the further you go, a single lose can more you lose 30+ ranking where you would only gain 10-15 with a win. Thus random chance, esp if queueing solo is a horrible way to go.

I'd also venture a guess that even people that are considered all galaxy queue-sync. No one wants to be stuck with that random guy in greens, full pve gear, and no advanced class.

I would also suggest, that some even with gear taken into account, if you are saddled with 3 dps mercs, you are going to lose, even if they are decent.

And since there isn't a gateway, or a requirement to enter, anyone regardless of gear or skill or pvp experience can get in. Literally a guy on his 1st toon, never having done any pvp at all, whatsoever, level 0 valor, can queue for ranked.

thus, IMO, a change in the ranking system for SOLO queues does need to change. Participation does need to be taken into account on a heavier scale. Granted, I also feel the rewards between ranked solo and ranked group should also reflect this.

Edited by Anyakaschala

not really. Based on the current ranking system, the further you go, a single lose can more you lose 30+ ranking where you would only gain 10-15 with a win. Thus random chance, esp if queueing solo is a horrible way to go. .

that's the higher your rating. NOT the higher number of matches you play. look at the source of this thread. it's the same guy who's been complaining in another thread about bads costing him a higher rating. he must be from Egypt, cuz he's living in denial. if you really care about your solo rating, then you ought to know enough to stop Qing if your faction is currently full of trolls and ppl in pve gear. that's not Q-dodging. that's common sense. even if you DON'T do that, it's statistically (highly) unlikely that you're consistently being grouped with the bad players in a sample of 140 games, but everyone else is not.

it is entirely possible that you're a mediocre player on a sub-optimal spec (like trying to play a ranged class or a concealment op). all four of those ACs/specs absolutely depend on the players around them to function properly. however, there are a boatload of players well above a 1:1 win : loss ratio on all of those classes. their ratings, in fact, are so much higher than ~1000 that it's absolutely inconceivable that class/spec strength/weakness is responsible for that dude's 1000 rating. the possibility exists that they win trade or have a few ringers throw matches for them. and there's the unrealistic possibility (1 in a million -- "so you're tellin' me there's a chance!") that they got that 1700+ rating by cheating. and that same dude who decided to start another thread about how unlucky he is will no doubt claim that they all cheat with ringers, synching or never have the same bads on their team that he has on his. this entire thread is ridiculous. please don't give this guy any more fodder for his delusions.

Edited by foxmob

If you've played 140 games, that's a large enough sample size for luck to be negligible for your current rating.

Well at least to not be under 1500 rating..

Unless you keep queueing when there's only morons in the queue and you aren't getting anywhere.

Persistence in that case is bad.

If you've played 140 games and got nowhere with rating I guarantee you; you could be playing significantly better.

Would be a damn sight more productive to work on that than moan to BW.

Ehh, not really.

I've played around 200 games on my commando, and at my peak rating I was 300 off my start rating; now I'm 200 off. It's really a question of luck, nothing more.

(And I'm sure you know that I know that you know that I can play this game) makes no sense without punctuation, but screw it

Luck is huge part of it.

For example: Tonight I somehow got 3 games in a row with the same sorc who never did more than 200DPS in a round and usually insta dies without doing even 10k damage. Doesn't matter If I consistently do 1300+ DPS in these games, its almost a 3v4 with that sorc.

Also had a game where our healer ragequit after getting killed really quickly, then we proceeded to easily win the round. Im sure we would have won the game had he stayed, even if only to act as meatshield for us DPSers.

4 auto-losses right there based on my teammates.

On the other hand, Id venture I had one "easy win" tonight due to an ungeared player on the other team.

I honestly feel that having good luck goes way more to getting a good rating than being able to consistently do over 1100 single-target DPS almost every game. Arenas feel more like a lottery than a contest of skill to me, at least on Bastion empire.

Ive stopped caring about rating because theres just so much luck to it.

I got one of my guys to 1500 in about 20 games, the rest got trashed due to night after night of consistently getting terrible teammates vs good opposition. Its not that Im the one whos bad either, Ive got so many screens where I did 1300+ DPS and yet my teammates did next to nothing, if youre doing that much damage then surely the loss cant be on you.

Knowing when to queue I think is more valuable than knowing how to play.

@eviolixe: On Bastion empire, feels like the morons are on at least 80% of the time.

Edited by Z-ToXiN

Your problem is you are losing more than you are winning. Make that change and your problem will disappear.

Mate, come to ToFN and join the losing side AKA rep side.

Then we'll see how far you're going with that attitude ;)

(Hint: Not far, just like all us poor fools still playing there)

Mate, come to ToFN and join the losing side AKA rep side.

Then we'll see how far you're going with that attitude ;)

(Hint: Not far, just like all us poor fools still playing there)

Don't even listen to him. He doesn't even queue solo ranked on Harbinger lol.

Don't even listen to him. He doesn't even queue solo ranked on Harbinger lol.

I queue when I can, been mostly gearing up and I haven't had my computer for the last month.

But really it doesn't matter. When I do queue I don't delude myself into thinking every loss is my teammates fault. There are plenty of people with 1200+ ratings. Are making the claim the only reason they do is because they are luckier than you? After 140 games your rating is probably more indicative of your skill than your luck. So unless you are playing a really weak class (Merc, DPS Op, Lightning Sorc) your rating is probably right where it should be.

So you can ***** about all you want but the numbers are there. You lose more than you win. Fix that and your rating will go up. Step one should be figuring out why that is nd doing something about it.

I queue when I can, been mostly gearing up and I haven't had my computer for the last month.

But really it doesn't matter. When I do queue I don't delude myself into thinking every loss is my teammates fault. There are plenty of people with 1200+ ratings. Are making the claim the only reason they do is because they are luckier than you? After 140 games your rating is probably more indicative of your skill than your luck. So unless you are playing a really weak class (Merc, DPS Op, Lightning Sorc) your rating is probably right where it should be.

So you can ***** about all you want but the numbers are there. You lose more than you win. Fix that and your rating will go up. Step one should be figuring out why that is nd doing something about it.

I don't delude myself in any way; I managed to get Tier 1 in both previous seasons, and I most assuredly know how to play the game - I've been here since the beginning, maining my commando since I started.

ToFN rep side is something to behold - here it's normal, as a commando, to die first but outdps the guardian on your team that died last. Yeah.

Tell my it's my fault now, other than choosing to play a commando on the 'wrong' side, hmm?

EDIT: Also, I've got more wins than losses, just for the record. So knock that off, too.

Edited by ToMyMa

I don't delude myself in any way; I managed to get Tier 1 in both previous seasons, and I most assuredly know how to play the game - I've been here since the beginning, maining my commando since I started.

ToFN rep side is something to behold - here it's normal, as a commando, to die first but outdps the guardian on your team that died last. Yeah.

Tell my it's my fault now, other than choosing to play a commando on the 'wrong' side, hmm?

EDIT: Also, I've got more wins than losses, just for the record. So knock that off, too.

Cool, I'm super impressed.

Doesn't change the fact that the OP b*tching about not winning and blaming it all on the queue is him wasting his time. I have a similar rating to the OP and I can tell you I make mistakes. I bet he does too. The difference is I admit to mine and make an attempt to work on them instead of starting whine threads on the forums implying there should be participation rewards.

Lol at the people wanting participation medals while complaining that there are terribads in the queue.

I'm not even gonna go into the irony there you can figure it out yourself.

I can do you one better: lol at the people Qing for solo rated and then complaining b/c they can't handle the RNG nature of solo rated matchmaking.

that's the defining feature vis-à-vis grp rated.

Cool, I'm super impressed.

Doesn't change the fact that the OP b*tching about not winning and blaming it all on the queue is him wasting his time. I have a similar rating to the OP and I can tell you I make mistakes. I bet he does too. The difference is I admit to mine and make an attempt to work on them instead of starting whine threads on the forums implying there should be participation rewards.

I can sympathize though with the situation where you keep getting terrible useless teammates over and over.

Again, Im totally willing to admit I have bad games and make mistakes and some (ok, maybe quite many) losses are attributable, in whole or in part, to me.

But, for example again, when you get a sorc on your team who does less than 200 dps every round 3 games in a row (of all the people queueing at the time... seriously), while you do over 1100 dps every round, theres not much you can do better, its simple the matter of one teammate dragging you down. Boom, down 40 rating.

Some losses just AREN'T your fault.

Have a few nights like this in a row and the frustration can really mount.

Ive learned to deal with it though and for the most part don't let it get to me, but sometimes I just can't believe the stuff I encounter in arenas.

Im not saying that all my losses or even most can be blamed on bad teammates, but it does happen often enough that it gets frustrating. Some games you can play things perfectly but you have one teammate who is just so useless (*cough*sorcs that dont use bubble*cough*) you can't win if your opposition is decent.

Learn to carry, get good, etc. - sure, but some players are just too bad to carry against strong opposition.

Im not necessarily agreeing with the OP either. Im just pointing out why people can feel this way.

The reason is frustrating is because its due to essentially randomness in matchmaking, which is almost out of your control (you can only affect this a bit by deciding when to queue). Losing due to my own mistakes I can deal with and learn from, losing simply due to a bad matchup gets me, and there often isn't much to learn from those either.

I also totally believe that ranked rewards should NOT be about participation because that just makes this very problem worse.

Edited by Z-ToXiN

I can do you one better: lol at the people Qing for solo rated and then complaining b/c they can't handle the RNG nature of solo rated matchmaking.

that's the defining feature vis-à-vis grp rated.

honestly, to me, the complaint is legit because the nature of rating is based on the group. Thus your rating, though you queue SOLO is how your GROUP did. Thus not in any way shape or form indicative of personal skill. Maybe sometimes, but you hit on the point, it's random and therefore a disingenuous form of ranking.

If you want to have a 1v1 ranked queue and use ELO, awesome. Works well for group as well because it's the group you have that you are being ranked on. But to have ELO as the rating system for solo rated is just bad.

As I've pointed out, I feel a participation system would work better for it, and the rewards should reflect that as well. Group should get better as it's skill level and competitiveness is a lot higher than solo. Same basic reason that you get better rewards for NiM ops vs SM.

Edited by Anyakaschala

If you don't feel your rating is accurate after that many games you're wrong. If there are that many terrible people on your teams, there are just as many on the other which means you must be one of the bunch. Notice how the highly ranked players have no problems being there every season and on multiple toons. If you aren't getting a high ranking at this point, you don't deserve one, it's as simple as that.