The Gamers of Today... Are the same as the Gamers of Yesterday folks.

ZionHalcyon

If you ask me, a major turn for the worse in SWTOR happened when the game turned free-to-play. If you put food on a platter out to the yard, you will get all manner of animals and insects.

Cant say i like your analogy still it was either F2P or go bust.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cherry pick? You are claiming the Swg community was only bad because of UO players? I think that would be considered a cherry pick if I've ever seen one. Granted I'm not saying UO community was good I was agreeing with your buddy that the community's were better back then and IMO before this f2p thing started.

The UO players contributed. But yes, you are now disregarding my clarification and thusly proving my point.

Cant say i like your analogy still it was either F2P or go bust.

Yep, F2P saved the game. Unfortunately, elitism can be just another word for "doesn't get along with others of a different perspective".

I'd say that fits here for some of these folks.

"Some of these folks". Yourself?

For someone who complains of people not being as nice as they used to be in MMOs, you aren't exactly acting the part you pretend most people played back then with your rampant trolling and hostility and attacks.

Quite honestly, you and Kal judging how people were back then compared to now would be like sending Rush Limbaugh to judge a "World's Best Liberal" contest, or Bill Mahr to judge a "World's best Conservative" contest, if you prefer; you both are embodying the type of behavior you both espouse that you hate and that you both say contribute to the decline of the MMO communities.

Therefore, my simple point is, who are you to judge? Since you clearly can't even be bothered to act the part now that you claim was so much better in the past. And if you are hypocritical on the core of your points, then why the heck should anything you say be trusted? Just because you're you and you said it? Pfft. Hilarious..... :rak_03:

For someone who complains of people not being as nice as they used to be in MMOs, you aren't exactly acting the part you pretend most people played back then with your rampant trolling and hostility and attacks.

Quite honestly, you and Kal judging how people were back then compared to now would be like sending Rush Limbaugh to judge a "World's Best Liberal" contest, or Bill Mahr to judge a "World's best Conservative" contest, if you prefer; you both are embodying the type of behavior you both espouse that you hate and that you both say contribute to the decline of the MMO communities.

Therefore, my simple point is, who are you to judge? Since you clearly can't even be bothered to act the part now that you claim was so much better in the past. And if you are hypocritical on the core of your points, then why the heck should anything you say be trusted? Just because you're you and you said it? Pfft. Hilarious..... :rak_03:

Lol what are you talking about ? Attacking? I'm not judging anyone I'm giving my opinion based on my experiences and you don't want to hear them and are acting like its your way or the highway hence my last reply. Now stop acting like you are being attacked cause you clearly are not. I have a differnt opinion then you which does not make me an elitist as your tried to claim I am. Sorry buddy but you are the hypocrit calling others out and when pointed out that you are the only one really acting like an elitist you get all defensive.

Now please go back read my comments and post my attack towards you...

This isn't an attack but I see why you've been ignored by a few on here...

Hi Kalfear. Nice to see your other account is alive and well. :rak_03:

By the way, those "defenders" would go through the forums looking for even the slightest criticism, even the constructive ones, and start a flame war over them - they were in fact the major instigators here.

They disappeared or settled down for the most part, and suddenly, things didn't spiral into all out flame wars - funny that huh? They thought they were being part of the solution, when in reality, they were the problem and a major catalyst for the rotten behavior here.

Omg. Get over yourself. I'm not kalfear, have no idea who you're talking about. I've had this account and only this account for almost three years.

Omg, this is why i do not usually go to the forums either. Half the time this is what you get two or more people end up trolling one another about "gamers yesterday and today" "Trolling!" I dont get why this ended up happening in this thread but by far i am not in the least surprised. I read every post after my original that spoke of in game general chat. I understand were these guys are coming from but they are now just going back and forth trying to sound better than each other...again hence "Trolling" Smh.. This is sad. I won't be coming back to this thread at all. About the only place worth even going to is maybe "Troubleshooting". I will stick to that....smh

So that's what mmo's were like back in the early 90's huh. Interesting history lesson tho. This is my first mmo....I spent the 90's trying to survive IRL from the gang situation I stupidly put myself in, trying to stay outta jail, and live past age 25. Maybe I should have been playing mmo's.....it sounds a Hell of a lot safer. :cool:

So that's what mmo's were like back in the early 90's huh. Interesting history lesson tho. This is my first mmo....I spent the 90's trying to survive IRL from the gang situation I stupidly put myself in, trying to stay outta jail, and live past age 25. Maybe I should have been playing mmo's.....it sounds a Hell of a lot safer. :cool:

for sure, but to be honest, they are really only painting a very rosy picture of early MMOs. MMOs in the early days suffered the same problems they do today, the only difference is fewer people played them, therefore the issues did not seem as bad.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

Example #1

In Ultima Online there was a bug/exploit where as you could not move over or past a bag of flour. So one day some "people" decided they would put those bags to a very bad use. They grouped with a young girl (who told them she was as much, turns out she was 8-10 years old), led her to a dungeon and trapped her by putting bags of flour down so she couldnt run away and couldnt pick all up as didnt have the strength to carry.

They then, if the NATIONAL MEDIA ATTENTION THAT FOLLOWED REGARDING THIS is to be believed, cyber raped her. Her father heard her crying and came to computer room to see screen filled with vulgar messages and suggested conduct.

That's bovine excrement.

I played Ultima and don't recall that ever happening. I don't recall ever reading about it and there is no evidence anywhere online that it ever happened.

Something as big as that would still have some information about it somewhere.

DDO forums for instance are actually pretty mature and awesome,

Is that sarcasm, or are you referring to a game with the acronym "DDO" that is not Dungeons & Dragons Online?

Making that statement in seriousness contradicts the assertion of your thread title, because not only are gamers pretty much the same as they were in the past, they are pretty much the same in every game.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Omg. Get over yourself. I'm not kalfear, have no idea who you're talking about. I've had this account and only this account for almost three years.

Its his common reply when he has no real response

Ive had this 1 account since day one of the forums opening

But Zion and a few others (who you would recognize from their posts) have never let reality and truth get in the way of their opinions so they not going to start now.

Hes accused me of having endless different forum IDs (because others agreed with what I said which in Zions make beleive world means its just me posting under different IDs).

Hes accused me of being a SWG fanboy that wants SW:TOR turned into SWG2 despite my obvious posting history saying exactly the opposite (and if you notice its always him who brings up SWG in his posts)

Hell far as I know hes accused me of causing F2P.

As I said up front, the kid is a troll

He makes these posts looking for attention

Kinda feel bad for him that his life sucks so bad hes gotta come online and garner negative attention just to feel "noticed"

Do yourself a favor, put the kid on ignore and move on cause nothing positive ever comes from his topics and posts.

That's bovine excrement.

I played Ultima and don't recall that ever happening. I don't recall ever reading about it and there is no evidence anywhere online that it ever happened.

oh well if you don't recall it, then it must be false.:rolleyes:

I did a quick Google but couldn't find article (was way back in 97-98 when it happened) but what I did find was pages upon pages upon pages of article and posts and comments pertaining to Sexual Assault in Ultima Online specifically that all read and sound much the same as what I posted as end result.

Hell even found a update by Origin where they specifically updated their online harassment rules specifically mentioning sexual assault

But I guess you don't recall that either so that didn't happen either.

Because we all know these companies love to go out of their way making new rules for things that don't ever happen.

Get over yourself kid (I don't mean your age either). Just because you don't recall something doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I used the example I remember from back then.

That's the single case I remember and the fall out from it.

From a Google search (using appropriate key words to topic) apparently there was many more examples I never heard of

By your logic that means they never happened

Sorry buddy but you not remembering or knowing something doesn't make it false

Edited by Kalfear

I've been playing MMO's since 1998 and this has been my experience as well. There is a reason we compare really bad general chat sessions to "Barren's Chat".

A small percentage of the players have always sucked and those are the ones we here about. I can remember EQ discussion threads back in the day that were so bad I would actually block the thread (thread blocks, why don't we still have those?).

That's bovine excrement.

I suspected as much...

Find it interesting though that as he tried to CYA - he exhibits some of the same anti-social behavior he decried...

Edited by ZionHalcyon

Kal, as you reminisce about years gone by, you are exhibiting the same anti-social, negative behavior you are criticizing. :rolleyes:

How can we even begin to believe you if you aren't still trying to live up to the standards you claim you miss?

Instead, your rant just come off as elitist and trying to win a pi ssing contest. It smacks of troll bait, which is what you accuse me of in your weak attempt to deflect.

So that's where you are at, either bite your tongue and take the high road, and try to live what you espouse, or don't, and in doing so prove me right.

oh well if you don't recall it, then it must be false.:rolleyes:

And you're saying some outlandish urban legendish myth is true because someone says it is?

Sorry buddy but you not remembering or knowing something doesn't make it false

Sorry, buddy, but you claiming something happened even though you can find no supporting evidence is like saying you were kidnapped by aliens because you had what you at first you thought was a dream about being kidnapped by aliens but later learned via suggestive "hypnotherapy" was you actually being kidnapped by aliens.

And you're saying some outlandish urban legendish myth is true because someone says it is?

Sorry, buddy, but you claiming something happened even though you can find no supporting evidence is like saying you were kidnapped by aliens because you had what you at first you thought was a dream about being kidnapped by aliens but later learned via suggestive "hypnotherapy" was you actually being kidnapped by aliens.

ok, I admit that made me giggle

WOW I cant beleive i have to defend this part of the post

Are you really this stupid???

Just rechecked just for you and FIRST LINK that pops up is

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eludamos.org%2Findex.php%2Feludamos%2Farticle%2FviewArticle%2Fvol4no2-11%2F190&ei=L6lBVI6JFI-GyAT99YH4Bg&usg=AFQjCNH_VAi0cydFsv1ujLLITHVW58IJjg&sig2=ik2F7JIcztM5GaQ0-_m87w

Along with Origins terms of service regarding behavior https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CF4QFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhelp.ea.com%2Farticle%2Fultima-online-service-rules-of-conduct&ei=L6lBVI6JFI-GyAT99YH4Bg&usg=AFQjCNEw33lQL4DQZ955V-FKEisGPNRfSQ&sig2=m_RkhNt-gkR3MoYz6276nQ

And much much more that im not going to bother posting

Mixed in sadly wiuth a number of articles from University of Oregon as its shares the UO moniker

But READING never use to be a lost art here that would cause so called posters to NOT BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND

What did you put in search?

Cause you certainly didnt put in Ultima Online, Sexual Assault, sexual abuse, media coverage

As I said, I couldnt find the VERY REAL situation I was refering to from 1997-1999. Wish I could.

But I found a ton more

But somehow I think you put in

Star Trek PUPPIES as your search

Jesus th ere needs to me iq checks here

Yeah, I read that - a term paper on MMOs and bad social behavior in the late 90s.

Which ironically, goes against your premise of how everything was sunshine and roses "back in the old days" of MMOs, and feeds instead into my point of how its always been like that.... :rak_03:

Edited by ZionHalcyon

I prefer not to ignore folks. I have had spirited discussions with quite a few regulars here, and I certainly have my detractors...but I can't say that their contentions about my opinions or my behavior is always wrong. Sometimes they are right, and sometimes I learn and grow from the experience.

So I appreciate those that offer opposing views. I would prefer the discourse to be non-toxic, but sometimes some folks are passionate.

At any rate, I find I lose more than I gain when ignoring folks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.