Did I go overboard with my new pc?

jagertharn

I just ordered a new desktop. Currently playing on an old 2011 Alienware laptop. Here are the specs, tell me what you guys think.

Motherboard: Asus® X99 Deluxe

Processors: Intel® Core™ i7 5960X 3.0GHz overclocked to 4.0ghz per core

Power Supply: SilverStone® 750 Watt Modular

Graphic Cards: Single 4GB NVIDIA GTX 980

Memory: 16GB - 4x4GB - 2133MHz - DDR4 G.Skill

Hard Drive: Crucial® M550 SSD 512GB

Now this setup is probably overkill just for this game, but I'm tired of 15-25 fps everywhere.

Update 10/15/14

This is what I ordered finally.

Edited by jagertharn
update

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Nothing's too good for SWTOR. I went from a c. 2006 machine with Wind XP to an insane rig that is a complete and shameless overkill. And let me tell you, the day my load took 20 sec instead of 4 min and I saw how everything was supposed to look like on the 'max the graphics out' setting (from the bare minimum), was the happiest day of my life! And, the NPCs do not disappear any more in the middle of combat and still hurt ye while staying untouchable! Taxis are there too!

SO, congrats, and overpower on!!!

You splash out for a 980 and pair it with an AMD cpu to play a game that is notoriously CPU dependent? :rak_02:

well if I wanted to spend another grand on a i7 processor I would have, but I figured that this CPU is sufficient enough. I will let y'all know how that goes.

"Guys, I have built top end PC, is it overkill for this game?" - this is how I read your question.

Yes, it certainly is overkill for any MMO out there, and for almost any other game. But it is not like you are spending our money, so go for it. At least you wont be bothered for the next ~5 years. But why AMD?

Also get SSD hard drive.

If you haven't looked into the i5-4670k, coupled with a simple water cooler, you should. SWTOR won't really see any improvement with an i7 processor over an i5. And at ~$250, this i5 is hands down the best gaming cpu you could choose.

well if I wanted to spend another grand on a i7 processor I would have, but I figured that this CPU is sufficient enough. I will let y'all know how that goes.

Another $100 would have gotten you the new i7 4790k... which I'm pretty sure is faster in both single and multithreaded workloads than anything but the new i7 6 core processors, and with an 88 watt TDP. Might be worth a look if you have options to exchange what you've got...

I have the exact same cpu and graphics card. I hope you got some nice cooling in your system because the new FX chips run very hot. Other than that prepare to run everything out there at around 100fps on ultra :)

Funny that you mentioned cooling. I got

Stage I Single in-bay Resevior

Single high-pressure 7.5 L/min pump

360mm (120mm x 3) 30 FPI (fins per inch) Copper Core Radiator

Nickel-plated copper cold plate, acetal top CPU Cooling Block

Black 10mm Compression Fittings

Stage II adds a second 360mm radiator to Stage I for added cooling as well as adds a second pump to the Reservoir to help move the liquid through the expanded system

Stage III adds a third 360mm and 120mm radiator to Stage II for a maxed out cooling setup.

and the gtx 980 is cooled also.

I'll just wait until a gathering of those of us running i7's and Titans come along so we can collectively giggle at inferior machines.

I built a configuration with a Titan Z gpu and a Intel Core i7 5820K with 16GB Corsair LPX 2800MHz on a ASUS Rampage V Extreme mobo. It came out to $4223. This build didn't include the cryogenic cooling, just regular water cooling. I think I got the best configuration with what I ordered. whenever it gets here I'll post pics and benchmarks. Gonna be about 2 weeks :(

If you haven't looked into the i5-4670k, coupled with a simple water cooler, you should. SWTOR won't really see any improvement with an i7 processor over an i5. And at ~$250, this i5 is hands down the best gaming cpu you could choose.

The company that I'm using didn't have i5's on the x99 chipset to use in their configuration.

I find this whole thread rather confusing. On one hand you ask if your new rig will be overkill implying you are somewhat noobish with hardware yet on the other you invest heavily in extra cooling that will only be of use if you plan on overlocking ( and noobs really shouldn't attempt to overclock ).

Was this thread just an attention grab then or are you actually noobish?

If you are noobish then why the hell did you fork out all the money for cooling you aren't going to need?

Now you mention not being able to grab an i5 chip on an x99 board ... err ... why not? The company you are buying off just didn't have any i5's or they only sell pre configured packages?

Lastly what is with that PSU? It's like double the power requirements you will need even if overclocking on a single card.

If you haven't looked into the i5-4670k, coupled with a simple water cooler, you should.

I run a 4690K which slightly benches better than the 4670k and wouldn't personally get any use out of water cooling ( well other than cooler temperatures obviously ) over the aftermarket air cooling I put in. Reason being a lot of how fast you can run your chip comes down to the chip lottery - some will overclock faster than others and you just don't know until you really start pushing it. For example I was unlucky and cannot get my chip stable over 4.3 ghz which isn't that much of an overclock really ( nice temperatures though on air, 60-70 at full load ) however I was lucky with my previous i5 2500k which I got to 4.5 ghz on the same air cooler I'm still using ( probably didn't really need to upgrade that CPU but through I might as well since I had spare cash and was upgrading anyway ). Either way with water I wouldn't think a necessity over a gimmick unless you are aiming to push towards 5 ghz and beyond ( 4.8 minimum, air will do elss easily if you got a good chip from a good batch ).

Was this thread just an attention grab then or are you actually noobish?

Now you mention not being able to grab an i5 chip on an x99 board ... err ... why not? The company you are buying off just didn't have any i5's or they only sell pre configured packages?

Lastly what is with that PSU? It's like double the power requirements you will need even if overclocking on a single card.

I'm not really a noob, I just haven't invested alot of money into building beast machines. I got a powerful PSU because I wanted to be able to expand in the future if need be. And yes the cpu and gpu will both be overclocked so I needed a good cooling setup.

Low end i7's and even the i5's are faster that the top end amd's and you can always OC them down the road. You can OC amd's as well but it still wont perform as well. You're going to have bottleneck issues real fast with amd.

You splash out for a 980 and pair it with an AMD cpu to play a game that is notoriously CPU dependent? :rak_02:

^ This...

Why would you not get an Intel CPU? With that rig, at least a Core i7 4790k would be the least I'd put in.

The AMD CPU will hold you back.

What resolution are you playing at? The video card is quite good for anything up to about 4k single screen or 1080p triple screen, it will struggle if you run 1600p triple screen however.

Edited by Heat-Wave

I got a hybrid hard drive. why not amd? If I went with Intel I would be paying about a thousand dollars more. I guess I will find out when I get it.

Intel does not cost a thousand dollars more... About $200 more with a nice motherboard and a i7 4790k cpu.

Intel does not cost a thousand dollars more... About $200 more with a nice motherboard and a i7 4790k cpu.

I think he's comparing the top end 8 core amd which was around $300 I think with the top end new x99 i7 chipset with a 20mb L3 cache which is actually $1,000.00.

I'll just wait until a gathering of those of us running i7's and Titans come along so we can collectively giggle at inferior machines.

Not running a Titan, frankly that is for GPGPU work, not video games...

I am running a Core i7 4770k with a AMD R9 295x2 however, and running on three Dell 30" 1600p panels in Eyefinity, the game is rock smooth at 60fps on everything at max detail, including 16 man ops and WZ.

That being said, the solution is overkill for most people, a group of 3 1080p monitors or even 1440p monitors are fine, I use mine for software development so the expense was a business write-off. The extra space is nice and the speedy Dell service is worth the money to me.

The video card? Yea, that was just fun...

For a single 1440p/1600p LCD, a single GTX 980 or 290X card would be just fine. Frankly, a R9 290 or GTX 970 would be just fine as well.

So would a Core i5 as well, the i7 is faster and is nice for some people, but not required. Since I compile and run other programs in the background (I have 32GB of RAM installed and often am using more than half of it), the i7 made sense for me.

For just a game machine, yea, go with the i5.