Which AC "fits" the Bounty Hunter better, in terms of Story and appearance?

Terin

Without spoiling any specifics in the story, I'd like to get some advice on choosing an AC for my Bounty Hunter. I'm playing him *STRICTLY* for role-playing purposes to experience the story, although whichever AC I choose, I will likely choose the opposite for the Trooper.

I don't care about stats or group-roles, *ONLY* in knowing which AC "fits" the Bounty Hunter better, overall.

For example, the Powertech may have a stupid name, but they get all of the "gadgets" that Mandalorians are so infamous for. Plus, Mandalorian is renowned for being virtually indestructible, so that sort of fits, as well. At the same time, I really get kind of a "gunslinger" vibe from the Bounty Hunter's earlier missions, and obviously, Jango Fett was a fan of dual-wielding pistols.

I mean, in a perfect world, Bounty Hunters could wield Rifles or Assault Cannons, but alas; they cannot.

Also, I've never played a high-level Bounty Hunter, but since I'm going with a male with a large build, perhaps they look better or worse as one AC than the other? I'm a huge armor and weapon collector, and I don't know whether they look better dual-wielding or just rocking a single blaster?

Just chime-in with your own point of view. And like I said, whatever I choose for the Bounty Hunter, I'll be choosing the opposite for the Trooper, so if you think that makes a difference, by all means, explain your thinking! :D

I'd say advanced class is more related to appearance than anything in story in my opinion. Powertech visuals and abilities are sort of based on Boba Fett, except Boba wielded a rifle that neither classes have. Actually I guess Jango is closer since he just used a single pistol.

Mercenary I guess has more in common with less armored hunters like Calo Nord and Cad Bane.

In terms of story, I dont think your AC matters,

Edited by Karkais

People say that the Powertech gets more gadgets, though in reality both get different gadgets.

Mercenaries get a second blaster, a lot more missiles including a tri-shot wrist missile and a jetpack-launched missile like the Fetts, and medical equipment.

Powertechs get better flamethrowers and can use their freeze ray in combat, have a grapple hook, and depending on specialization a wrist blade.

In terms of the story, I feel like the Mercenary fits better. The Bounty Hunter's character, and a lot of his/her missions and the lines that he/she speaks fit someone who uses a ton of Firepower, which the Mercenary fits more. Also keep in mind that the Mercenary's attacks are primarily blaster fire, missile barrages, and the wrist-mounted railshot, while Powertechs are almost exclusively Flamethrower, and almost never use their blaster pistol.

Also, I see a Star Wars bounty hunter having better luck fighting from a distance with missiles and blaster fire, with flamethrower as a defense up close, than charging up close and personal to use their flamethrower as their primary method of attack.

The Mercenary seems more like what the story would be focused on. Another bonus is that if you like the flamethrower a lot, it's still very useful against groups as a Mercenary, so you'll still see your hunter using a flamethrower in addition to all the other stuff.

That said, though, you also mentioned your Trooper Story. The Trooper Story fits a lot better with the Vanguard, who uses an ARC Caster rather than the minigun-wielding Commando, so if it's a hard choice with the bounty hunter, you might want to consider the case with your Trooper.

Edited by Blowwtorch

Speaking for myself, having the cool tech that a PT gets (mainly flamethrower) was a must for me. A lot of armor tends to fit with that seeing as the gloves have a scorched metal cover on the left side. So for appearance I'd go PT every time, and for Trooper I similarly prefer the looks of a Commando with a ****** assault cannon. But as Blowwtorch said, Vanguard definitely fits the Spec Ops trooper story better, BH doesn't matter as much story-wise. Edited by MagikFingerz

having played a Light Mercinary, and a Dark Powertech, i feel like a Powertech fits the story better, because he actually obtains most of the gadgets he uses in the story as skills, like the Ramjet from Hoth, well as a Tank Powertech (and Hopefully ALL powertechs in 3.0 hint hint wink wink to devs) you get a Jet Charge ability, early on in the Hunting career you get a Carbonite Sprayer, and when you hit somewhere in the 40's as a Powertech you get an ability called Carbonize that you spray Carbonite in a 360 degree radius stunning up to 5 targets within an 8 meter radius for 2.5s that's something a Bounty Hunter would have! the only real things missing from their arsenal is the ability to Jet Boost (Merc only skill) and have a missile from the jetpack (Fusion Missile, Merc only skill) but, you dont use those abilities in story cutscenes, so they dont matter... So, IMO Powertech fits more with the gadgets you aquire throughout the story, also it just looks odd to only pull out one blaster in a story cutscene when you have 2 as a merc... so, bonus points for looking less stupid as a PT. also Pyro PT = Most fun DPS class ever.

Honestly, they both fit with the story and character. A long time ago (I think it was in a dev video) they described it as the Mercenary adv class being based off Jango Fett and the Powertech being based off Boba Fett. Choose whichever you think you'll like more and which will fit your RP best. :)

Then I wonder why the powertech class is stuck with a blaster pistol and not a blaster rifle, BF had a carbine style weapon which would fit blaster rifles better in this game.

Then I wonder why the powertech class is stuck with a blaster pistol and not a blaster rifle, BF had a carbine style weapon which would fit blaster rifles better in this game.

My biggest gripe about Powertechs are the companions. The options for which companion to use as a PT are very limited in my opinion. As a Merc, all of them are quite viable to level with, but as a PT, I feel that only 2 of them bring anything to the table the PT doesn't do much better.

I'm playing a BH Tank Powertech right now and am loving the play style and since you get a healer as your 1st character the 2 work REALLY well together. RP-wise you are kind of in it with the main character who helps you get you going too so RP-wise it fits. Kind of makes the other companions late joiners to the party but I just switch them out for convos now and then and give them gifts to unlock their story and it's been pretty great so far!

But a friend of mine having double guns really thinks the healer+DPS combo works too? I think it's pretty 50/50 in the end. Sorry not more helpful!

Powertech has always felt more gadgety to me. Mercenaries just seemed more like gunslingers in heavy armor.

That's oversimplifying it a lot, I realize :p

Sums it up pretty well.

Powertech definitely fits the BH theme better, both in terms of gadgets / abilities and animations. However, personally I find the Merc more fun to play.

I leveled two BH's, one of each AC. I find that the spell aesthetic of PT looks a little bit more like a classic BH, but it doesn't feel like one very well. By that I mean a Merc actually feels like you can be a Bounty Hunter...out there kicking arse and taking names. PT feels like a utility tank, which is intentional, but it doesn't feel like your made to really hunt down and take out people.

After playing both, I would recommend Merc as the most appropriate feeling. I also like the mechanics far more for DPS than DPSng as a PT.

Without spoiling any specifics in the story, I'd like to get some advice on choosing an AC for my Bounty Hunter. I'm playing him *STRICTLY* for role-playing purposes to experience the story

If it is for RP, then whichever one like better is the better choice. There's nothing more "bounty hunterish" about 1 blaster as opposed to 2, or vice versa.

If you want to RP a rifle-wielding bounty hunter (as opposed to a Bounty Hunter), just roll an Operative and put it in adaptive "Mando style" armor.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Just curious, why do you guys say the Vanguard fits the Trooper better than the Commando? Like I said, it's not the Class I planned to play right away, but it might make a difference in helping me choose.

This might be a little biased because the Trooper is my favorite character and favorite story (played neutral to darkside), but the basic premise is that you're a Spec Ops commander meant to take on really dangerous missions, many being infiltration and assault on bases, often in tight spaces. It feels that an ARC Caster (lightning cannon) is much more suited to those situations than a very large very heavy Assault Cannon, which wouldn't be practical in a lot of the fights that the Trooper finds himself in. It's also really unlikely that the leader of a Spec Ops team would be the one carrying the large bulky support weapon.

Another thing about the Assault Cannon:

A Darkside Trooper ends up fighting against four Sith Lords in his story. The agile vanguard with his ARC Caster wouldn't really have a problem fighting this kind of opponent, as the electric ray isn't stopped by a saber, where a guy being held down by a minigun which is easily blockable by a lightsaber would likely be cut down right where he stood.

In terms of the Bounty Hunter story, though, also one of my favorites, you're really built up as this guy who's trained to take down baddies. The dual-wielding missile frenzied mercenary really better fits into that theme as the very deadly and forceful hunter that will take down any target thrown at him. I will say though that Powertech is the more fun class to play, but if you want strictly story, Mercenary feels more right for most of the scenarios.

I'm gonna add that even though both classes play exactly the same, the Commando just feels really sluggish where the mercenary feels more agile and deadly and more armed with heavy firepower.

Edited by Blowwtorch

I have a 55 Commando, Mercenary, Powertech, and Vanguard. I agree with most of the other posters that Vanguard and Mercenary are the way to go. I definitely think that the BHs are more interchangeable, but Vanguard fits the Trooper so much better, in my opinion.