The potential of EverQuest Next

CelCawdro

Anyone else following this game? It's probably the most difficult game to follow out there - I would say it has the worst marketing of any game out there, but I guess I'm aware of it, so it can't be totally terrible. :p But anyway, what do you guys think? It looks to be the polar opposite of SW:TOR - I'll gladly play both when it releases.

Anyone else following this game? It's probably the most difficult game to follow out there - I would say it has the worst marketing of any game out there, but I guess I'm aware of it, so it can't be totally terrible. :p But anyway, what do you guys think? It looks to be the polar opposite of SW:TOR - I'll gladly play both when it releases.

i believe its still a bit early in its development isn't it?? that may be why its hard to follow. i think once it gets into beta we will start hearing more about it.

to me it looks very interesting!! i have been in Landmark for a while now and have been loving that, though i really need to upgrade my computer quite a bit to play it smoothly, right now its very choppy with the set up i have B^P i would expect the same from ever quest next.

Aye, it's the exact same engine. That being said, it's word on the street (ie. word from the president of SOE) is that EQN will be in the hands of the players sometime next year. That's not that far off, at all.

i have a feeling, and i kinda hope, it will be late next year. they don't need to rush and put it out too early and it be rittleed with bugs, they should have learned that from their past and other games like this ones launch.

not to mention if it is late next year it give me more time to build a new computer for it :D

I was in Landmark for a bit. Originally that game was going to be used to help develop Next, then fade away. However, (and I stopped playing about three months ago), the devs dropped "EQ" and now it is simply known as Landmark.

(Landmark is quite different than the traditional MMORPG. Not 'Eve' different, but different)

I'm intrigued with Next. EQ was an addiction for many years and since McQuaid won't be involved (hopefully), I think it might be worth a look.

I have a question about it please:

I have no interest in Minecraft or building big buildings. That is cool, but it's just not what I want to do in a game.

Would EQN still be worthwhile to me? Or would I be just be missing a big feature and part of it?

(I ask because I get the feeling that it is a sort of Minecraft MMO. I could be wrong.)

Thanks!

I have no interest in Minecraft or building big buildings. That is cool, but it's just not what I want to do in a game.

Would EQN still be worthwhile to me? Or would I be just be missing a big feature and part of it?

(I ask because I get the feeling that it is a sort of Minecraft MMO. I could be wrong.)

Thanks!

Landmark is the building part of the game, and it's literally a separate game. EQN is more of a standard MMO, but gets back to the old days of free roaming questing and discovering the world as opposed to the WoW model of the largely singular route to max level with little to no tangible rewards for exploring the world.

Landmark is the building part of the game, and it's literally a separate game. EQN is more of a standard MMO, but gets back to the old days of free roaming questing and discovering the world as opposed to the TOR model of the largely singular route to max level with little to no tangible rewards for exploring the world.

fixed it for ya... mostly kuz WoW you can actually level by exploring and doing other things other than follow the story path. granted it usually takes longer but you can do it. also WoW rewords you for exploring with achievements, titles, and tabards.

Thanks!

EverQuest Next is sorta like most other MMORPGs if you want to know more you should check out some of their youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgPuEl5Nuk

ok i just found out it will also be on PS4... not sure how i feel about that.. usually when they try and make a MMORPG for a console they tend to dumb everything down and that really worries me. i was really looking forward to this game up until i saw that... now im not sure. :confused:

ok i just found out it will also be on PS4... not sure how i feel about that.. usually when they try and make a MMORPG for a console they tend to dumb everything down and that really worries me. i was really looking forward to this game up until i saw that... now im not sure. :confused:

I kind of expected that is was going to be on the PS4: it opens up their potential customer base considerably and more action oriented LAS style combat seems to be the trend in newer MMOs, which works very well on consoles.

Looks like the game is going with a buy to play scheme, similar to GW2: so those who hate F2P aren't likely to find something they're interested in this one. Given that console players statistically have less money than PC players, and are thus more likely to spend what they do have on items that affect game play (as opposed to cosmetics), this one might end up really just being for the same crowd as DCUO. Only time will tell.

fixed it for ya... mostly kuz WoW you can actually level by exploring and doing other things other than follow the story path. granted it usually takes longer but you can do it. also WoW rewords you for exploring with achievements, titles, and tabards.

Got plenty of titles for exploring the Galaxy in SWTOR: "Beastmaster," "Datacron Master," "Galactic EXPLORER," "Galactic Hero," "Loremaster"*

But yeah, no unique items for exploring planets (not counting rng drops).

*That one reminds me of WoW

I kind of expected that is was going to be on the PS4: it opens up their potential customer base considerably and more action oriented LAS style combat seems to be the trend in newer MMOs, which works very well on consoles.

Looks like the game is going with a buy to play scheme, similar to GW2: so those who hate F2P aren't likely to find something they're interested in this one. Given that console players statistically have less money than PC players, and are thus more likely to spend what they do have on items that affect game play (as opposed to cosmetics), this one might end up really just being for the same crowd as DCUO. Only time will tell.

well we have seen how horrible ESO is and it too was made to be on consoles. MMORPGS just dont belong on consoles, you have to dumb down everything soo much that its no longer any good for either type of player. and what is LAS style combat?? is that the twitch/fps style like what ESO and SWG:NGE had?? because if so that is a horrible horrible combat style!!!

It all comes down to how they handle "endgame" content with a levelless system and whether or not the AI system actually plays out the way they've built it up in the minds of those who have been following the game.

The AI will be a big part of it for me. Something I think MMOs have gotten away from. I always thought it would be cooler if ranged tried to take cover or weak enemies would try to run and/or alert other enemies. Anything would be better than you destroying packs of mindless mobs while another mindless mob just stands there because they are outside of agro range.

The AI will be a big part of it for me. Something I think MMOs have gotten away from. I always thought it would be cooler if ranged tried to take cover or weak enemies would try to run and/or alert other enemies. Anything would be better than you destroying packs of mindless mobs while another mindless mob just stands there because they are outside of agro range.

"Beeline to attack range and stop" AI is really, really old and stagnant. As is "stand around and guard this tent for ten years." There's potential, here. I really want it to do well. The most encouraging thing for me is that a lot of these developers helped to create the original EverQuest - the MMO that set the tone for the next fifteen years or so. If anyone is going to set a new standard, it's the guys who developed the previous one, now not constrained by the same technological limits that existed twenty years ago that we're still operating with today.

well we have seen how horrible ESO is and it too was made to be on consoles. MMORPGS just dont belong on consoles, you have to dumb down everything soo much that its no longer any good for either type of player. and what is LAS style combat?? is that the twitch/fps style like what ESO and SWG:NGE had?? because if so that is a horrible horrible combat style!!!

LAS = Limited Action Set. It means that instead of having all of your characters abilities available at all times on multiple quickbars, you have a limited number of abilities on one quickbar. This is the type of more action oriented/twitch combat that you see in DC Universe Online and Wildstar, as opposed to the traditional tab targeting style of SWTOR and WoW.

Both styles have advantages and drawbacks. LAS allows for very fast paced combat, and cuts down on ability bloat; but it's downside is that most abilities have multiple effects, which means that you often have to skip a utility in your loadout because the two good effects are outweighed by a third effect that can lead to a team wipe. The traditional ab targeting style (aka turn based) does allow players to always be prepared for anything all the time; but frequently leads to huge UI clutter and massive ability bloat with multiple powers that tend to be ridiculously situational.

Yes because Final fantasy XIV ARR on Ps4 is so dumbed down. (100% sarcasm )

If they are proper developers that know what the hell they are doing, it won't be dumbed down

Edited by Petvin

Yes because Final fantasy XIV ARR on Ps4 is so dumbed down. (100% sarcasm )

If they are proper developers that know what the hell they are doing, it won't be dumbed down

no matter what it gets dumbed down. consoles are too limiting! you only have so many buttons on a controller. you must stay within the parameters of what the console can do.

no matter what it gets dumbed down. consoles are too limiting! you only have so many buttons on a controller. you must stay within the parameters of what the console can do.

It's only dumbed down if the game was originally designed for the PC and then ported to consoles (like Diablo 3). When a game is designed from the start to run on both PC and console it can't be dumbed down because the game is what it was designed to be. You might not like cross platform games, but they're only dumbed down when ported to the console after the fact.

It's only dumbed down if the game was originally designed for the PC and then ported to consoles (like Diablo 3). When a game is designed from the start to run on both PC and console it can't be dumbed down because the game is what it was designed to be. You might not like cross platform games, but they're only dumbed down when ported to the console after the fact.

have you seen/played ESO!!!???!!!

have you seen/played ESO!!!???!!!

You might not like; you might consider it simplistic: but to call it dumbed down would mean that at some point it was a more complex system, which it never was.

EQN is probably going have combat similar to Wildstar/GW2/DCUO. Faster paced with a Limited Action Set. If you consider that to be dumbed down, you're probably not going to like the game.

Of course, this is all just speculation right now.

I liked the ESO combat system and it would have been better if there wasn't animation cancelling and the ability to use instant abilities while blocking; but I like the control over auto-target and passives.

So long as they do not go GW2 style. Thats just tab targeting with a dodge ability incorporated.

Have you? The combat is arguably many times more complex than the modern ES games, and the world itself is among the most complex and interactive as far as modern MMOs go.

the combat was dumbed down and also just an FYI their combat was taken from SWG:NGE along with their character creation screen, though it was there from the beginning of SWG. and yes i have played ESO, during the beta sessions

: ...but to call it dumbed down would mean that at some point it was a more complex system, which it never was...
not necessarily. it can be considered dumbed down compared to other MMOs out there. it can have a dumbed down combat system compared to other games.

p.s. i really want to like Ever Quest Next! it looks like it would be a great game!! i just hope they dont screw it up by trying to make it fit on a console! other companies have tried it before and it never works out good.

Edited by Edzew