Intentional suicides.

Wasbeer

Anyway, I think that people who intentionally suicide to the tune of 26 deaths should be disciplined (if it can be proven), because that's obnoxious.

Yea, this is a different beast altogether. A player who kills himself because he hopes to change the scoreboard and "hurt" his opponent is what the thread is about, and that guy, while dumb, is a player.

In the example you speak of- chain suicide- simply report them to Bioware. This is an actionable offense.

You don't look at kills as a primary "skill" indicator. You look at damage done, received and objective.

Damage done shows that someone is at least contributing to the success of the team. Suicides don't matter in the least.

Objectives are a good indicator. Damage also, but differently than you think. A player with a lot of damage and little objectives contributes relatively little to the victory, she/he plays for the table. If it matches, a lot of damage and good target points, then it is an indicator.

Edited by Magira

Objectives are a good indicator. Damage also, but differently than you think. A player with a lot of damage and little objectives contributes relatively little to the victory, she/he plays for the table. If it matches, a lot of damage and good target points, then it is an indicator.

Damage itself is nice but you must also consider it together with assists/kills. A lot of damage and not many kills/assist means either the pilot was totally outclassed and couldn't land enough shots to kill. It happened to me a few time when I had >30k damage and like 2/0/4 against team that were outclassing mine so much I couldn't do much. Or it can mean the player isn't just good enough to land kill fast enough... This is clearly visible when you use RFL which can raise your damage, but won't affect your kills (Yeah Rumina, I'm talking to you :p)

The best indicator of skill is "All the aces are afraid of me, and I see them being very careful to avoid being in my kill zone."

Or, better, you see a striker sitting just out of range of your railguns. It moves toward you as its premade buddies start charging railguns, you suddenly die. You press 'R' a few times, and you see the whole premade had just singled you out in a very target-rich environment.

Nonsense. Someone topping the board that has outdamaged and outkilled their entire team combined but has 0 objective points is clearly making the dominant contribution to the match, by either clearing the enemy from the objectives and/or preventing them from getting there in the first place. At that point, failure to win domination isn't the fault of the pilot out there doing the carrying. It's especially obvious if someone has almost no objective points, but very high kills/damage and Offense Gold+, and yet is on the losing side in domination.

The best indicator of skill is "All the aces are afraid of me, and I see them being very careful to avoid being in my kill zone."

Not that I'd necessarily disagree with this sentiment, but you have ZERO ability to conclusively tell if this is the case, unless you're hearing them tell you so on VOIP.

Edited by Fractalsponge

Yea, this is a different beast altogether. A player who kills himself because he hopes to change the scoreboard and "hurt" his opponent is what the thread is about, and that guy, while dumb, is a player.

In the example you speak of- chain suicide- simply report them to Bioware. This is an actionable offense.

I would certainly hope so, I just don't know how closely they monitor things like that, or how many reports are necessary to get them looking at a person. It's thankfully something I've never had to deal with.

I can relate to the OP a bit, because when I was still a young pilot, I cared a lot more about killing blows, but now that we're coming up on a year of flight school, and with who knows how many matches under my belt, it just means it's time to move on to the next objective/target. The only time I really even notice kill steals are when I swoop to engage a target, and get the death blow for like 6 damage when like 2 people are chasing target... That still kind of makes me say "sorry" under my breath and laugh a bit. ;)

This is self-referential show running.

More than 90% of all games are not decided by "skill", but by strategy, tactics, and the ability to read the game properly.

This is self-referential show running.

More than 90% of all games are not decided by "skill", but by strategy, tactics, and the ability to read the game properly.

I'd say your estimation is off by 80% or you only fly premades vs. premades. No matter what server once the sortie starts any planing you may have done in the prematch is gone out the window by how the other team acts. There is no way to effectively pivot a battle plan while a match is in motion without voice comms.

I get yelled at for being 'bossy' for trying to issue reform wings that fall apart or to focus fire or requests to plant a box of roses. To pilots that don't know the server fleet admirals or care they just go off and do what they want anyways. Crashing into ships, chasing scouts 20k off sats, etc.

If you want to put a 90% estimation on what wins matches, the only viable category is luck.

Nonsense. Someone topping the board that has outdamaged and outkilled their entire team combined but has 0 objective points is clearly making the dominant contribution to the match, by either clearing the enemy from the objectives and/or preventing them from getting there in the first place. At that point, failure to win domination isn't the fault of the pilot out there doing the carrying. It's especially obvious if someone has almost no objective points, but very high kills/damage and Offense Gold+, and yet is on the losing side in domination.

Agree. Especially in a GS, you can easily carry a match yet still end up with zero objective points. Frequently, defending a satellite is best done on a GS well outside of capping distance.

Sure, there are those players that completely neglect objectives and are just trying to rack up numbers/kills, and they'll have a minimum of objective points too. But just because a guy ends with zero, does not mean he wasn't a huge contributor to the win. It's a flaw in the definition/calculation of objective points, more than anything else.

I'd say your estimation is off by 80% or you only fly premades vs. premades.

Strategy and tactics are not only premades reserved. :)

It begins even before you start with the analysis of the opposing team and your own team. After that then also depends what ship at the beginning makes sense. Whether it makes more sense to start with a Bloodmark, because we have some bombers at the start or directly with bombers because otherwise it is no bombers in the team.

And so it goes on constantly, whether TDM or Domination.

It is also not only the problem of choice of ships, but continues with various other decisions.

And yes, if you only and always flying the same ship, of course, provide less tactical questions. But then it is not always optimally positioned in a game with 5 Hangar places.

Edited by Magira

I'd say your estimation is off by 80% or you only fly premades vs. premades. No matter what server once the sortie starts any planing you may have done in the prematch is gone out the window by how the other team acts. There is no way to effectively pivot a battle plan while a match is in motion without voice comms.

I get yelled at for being 'bossy' for trying to issue reform wings that fall apart or to focus fire or requests to plant a box of roses. To pilots that don't know the server fleet admirals or care they just go off and do what they want anyways. Crashing into ships, chasing scouts 20k off sats, etc.

If you want to put a 90% estimation on what wins matches, the only viable category is luck.

Not sure I agree. Of course, pre-match planning typically goes out the window very quickly, no argument there. But Magira said:

...and I think the bolded, in particular, is what usually decides a dom game (given comparable team skill). If your team knows how to watch the action on the minimap, understands their roles and where they need to be given the current state of the match, you're likely to win. That isn't luck.

And it doesn't necessarily require voice, either. Sure, voice is incredibly helpful, and would make the difference between a pair of teams that do everything I described above. But in your average solo queue game (which is typically how I personally play), frequently you just need a few teammates who truly understand what they're supposed to do.

...and I think the bolded, in particular, is what usually decides a dom game (given comparable team skill). If your team knows how to watch the action on the minimap, understands their roles and where they need to be given the current state of the match, you're likely to win. That isn't luck.

Wait, you mean there's more to this than just flying around playing chicken with asteroids?! I've been doing it wrong this whole time!!! :eek:

Wait, you mean there's more to this than just flying around playing chicken with asteroids?! I've been doing it wrong this whole time!!! :eek:

Oh, you.

Yes, the game is more than flying around aimlessly and accidentally retroing between satellite fins...and humping satellites in pursuit of savior medals :)

Though I suppose those are all minigames within the game, lol.

One very, very, very bad thing is to start that "avoiding sequence" (the active ability, I mean) when being near to any structure or an asteroid.

500 % deadly.

You just crash into something via an pre-defined course, the shhip flying it automatically, and the far WORST thing is : You just cannot stop it !

That's what I constantly fear might be happening with RL cars having too much electronic stuff built into them - and that's why I just don't trust highly electronic modern cars ...